Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,160 Words
  • 887 Views
  • 18 Comments
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

The Home - 44. Chapter 44

Over the next few weeks, Frank seemed to be adjusting to being without his mother. But it was a mirage. Vic told us he could hear Frank crying at night.

“Amalia, when I was young and had a problem, my mother would come into my room at night and sit on my bed, we would talk, and eventually, I would get around telling her what was bothering me. I hug the children when they go to bed, but you might want to visit them and tuck them in. What do you think?”

“My parents always just gave me a hug when I went to bed. Maybe what you suggest might be a good idea. Are you suggesting this because of Frank?”

“Yes, in a way, I guess I am.” I didn’t tell Amalia about asking my night visitors to help Frank’s mother visit him in his dreams.

The next night, when the children were in bed, Amalia and I went to their rooms. At first, they were surprised, and I think they thought they were in trouble. We sat on their bed. Amalia told them that we wanted to tell them good night and give them an extra hug to have good dreams.

When we enter Frank’s room, he had his back to us and was sobbing. I pointed at a spot on the bed for Amalia to sit. When she did, Frank turned over and, seeing Amalia, put his arms out as if he wanted a hug. I watched Amalia pull him into a hug and kissed him on his head. I watched, and my eyes were glassy.

After a few minutes, Frank stopped sobbing. “Amalia, I think he has fallen asleep.”

She looked, and he had fallen asleep in her arms. If I ever needed to convince Amalia about our new nightly routine, I would only mentioned Frank’s response.

Over the next few nights, the children would tell us about their day and sometimes questions that had bothered them. It was a one-on-one time, and they came to look forward to our visits. I think we came to look forward to those times as well.

About two weeks after we started these ‘tuck-ins, Frank told us his mother came to him in a dream. She held him in her arms and sang to him as she did when she was alive. From that moment on, Frank became more outgoing, the boy I remembered when I first met him.

When my visitors came at night, I would mention Frank’s mother and could they see a way to have her go to him in his dreams. Tonight, I thanked them.

We still visited Frank’s mother every Sunday after Mass. I always had flowers for her, and we would sit and watch Frank as he talked to his mom.

One Sunday after her visits in his dream started, “Mom said instead of buying flowers, we could plant some flowers on her resting place.”

“Did she say what kind of flowers she would like?”

“In the woods behind our house, there was a flower that she liked. If we go there, maybe I could dig it up and then plant it for Mom.”

Saturday, I drove Frank and Vic to his old house. Only there wasn’t a house there anymore. “Dad, what happened to the house?”

“The county came and took it away because they didn’t pay the taxes on the property.”

“Can they do that?”

“Yes, if the taxes aren’t paid, they can come and take away everything to pay for the taxes. I think that the taxes on this property hadn’t been paid for a few years.” I didn’t need for him to know about Frank’s grandfather.

Taking a shovel from the trunk, we followed Frank into the woods behind where his home once stood. I was amazed as I saw the field of daffodils. We marked off an area, and I began to dig several plants free of their soil base. As the plants became free, Frank, and soon Vic, began to gather them. When Frank said that was enough, we took them to the car, and I drove to the cemetery where we planted the flowers. I told Vic to go and get some water from the church’s outdoor faucet so Frank could water the plants.

I watched Frank as he planted the flowers. He would plant a flower and ask his mother if this was okay. In his mind, he was having a conversation with his mother, and for all I knew, he could have been seeing his mother and talking to her. After I had experienced my grandfathers and Nonna at night, I believe anything is possible where love and family are involved.

When Frank was done, we sat on the bench, looking at the flowers. “My mother said she liked the flowers. They reminded her of our home and me when we lived there.”

With my arm around his shoulder, “Yes, you did a good job planting those flowers. I think your mother is very happy.”

We sat there for almost an hour when Vic said we should go. The animals needed to be fed, and he was hungry as well. I walked them to the car with my arm around each of them. They had to pretend to stumble several times, and then they would laugh.

Sunday dinner was especially nice, I had gone to the florists and bought a bouquet of mixed flowers, and there were several daffodils among the bouquet. I noticed Frank looking at the flowers with a faraway look. I thought his mother must have had a bouquet like this. When he looked at me, he smiled.

When dinner was over, Brad excused himself. He came back with a bundle. “Frank, would you share what I have with Vic?”

I’m sure Frank didn’t know what Brad had until we heard a yelp. When Brad dropped the cloth on Frank’s lap, Frank couldn’t keep the cloth together, and we saw the puppy.

Tom, not to be undone, brought another puppy for Vic. Brad said there were brothers from the same litter. If there was any doubt in Frank’s mind about Vic being his brother, it was dispelled at the dinner table. As expected, the boys had to play with their puppies, and for all purposes, dinner was over.

That night as we made the rounds, the girls said they didn’t want a pet. Vic and Frank said they could play with their dogs. For a minute, I thought they might have wanted an animal also. Walking into the boys’ rooms, they each had their dog in bed with them. That was until Amalia told them if the dog wet the bed, they would have two sleep in a wet bed. I went and got two cardboard boxes from the storage shed, added old blankets from the apartment before the boys moved in, took each box to the boy’s room. “For your pets.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 20
  • Sad 2
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

weinerdog

Posted (edited)

Nothing cheers a kid up more than a puppy.Is that property useful  in any way better Tony gets it rather then the state since the so called grandfather neglected it.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Vic and Frank will love there new puppies. Nothing like a new dog to help cheer a child up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

When we got our pup, we put her in the crate we got for her (I hate those things!) and she cried almost all night.  We brought her onto our bed the next night with trepidation, but she was perfect.  She has never had any problems on the bed, except when she got sick, and that is a different issue.  Now, she sleeps curled up between my legs every night!  (She is 25 months old and weighs all of 11 pounds, so she’s not a big girl.). The only reason I got the crate is in case we have to leave her at home for more than an hour or two, we put her there so she doesn’t roam the house and get into possible trouble.  Now, I only use it when we work the elections and we are gone more than 12 hours because of accidents.  She’s a good girl!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Nothing cheers a kid up more than a puppy.Is that property useful  in any way better Tony gets it rather then the state since the so called grandfather neglected it.

I think a boy and a dog is a combination that is classic. The land has some value but it is a stand alone plot. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Vic and Frank will love there new puppies. Nothing like a new dog to help cheer a child up.

Exactly, and a puppy best of all.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

When we got our pup, we put her in the crate we got for her (I hate those things!) and she cried almost all night.  We brought her onto our bed the next night with trepidation, but she was perfect.  She has never had any problems on the bed, except when she got sick, and that is a different issue.  Now, she sleeps curled up between my legs every night!  (She is 25 months old and weighs all of 11 pounds, so she’s not a big girl.). The only reason I got the crate is in case we have to leave her at home for more than an hour or two, we put her there so she doesn’t roam the house and get into possible trouble.  Now, I only use it when we work the elections and we are gone more than 12 hours because of accidents.  She’s a good girl!

I haver had dogs most of my life. There is something about a dog and their devotion that helps to chase the loneliness away. They are devoted to their friend, I hate to say master, but you know what I mean.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Another chapter of heartfelt emotions. I'm glad Frank now has that connection with his Mother that will be with him the rest of life. What comfort to know you have a guardian angel that you can talk with to guide you. As for the puppies, oh boy! Three months old and sleeps right next to me every night. Dang those puppy teeth are sharp too! 😂

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yes I think that the dogs will bring the boys together as a family, the girls were wise so as not th to have to clean up after accidents

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Another chapter of heartfelt emotions. I'm glad Frank now has that connection with his Mother that will be with him the rest of life. What comfort to know you have a guardian angel that you can talk with to guide you. As for the puppies, oh boy! Three months old and sleeps right next to me every night. Dang those puppy teeth are sharp too! 😂

I don't know why but a boy and a dog are classic. Cats never seemed to make it. They are too lazy I guess as compared to the the machinations of a dog and a boy.  I know you will enjoy your companion, for that is what they are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, mikedup said:

Yes I think that the dogs will bring the boys together as a family, the girls were wise so as not th to have to clean up after accidents

Yes, they knew better. Girls seem to prefer cats. Don't know why.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I haver had dogs most of my life. There is something about a dog and their devotion that helps to chase the loneliness away. They are devoted to their friend, I hate to say master, but you know what I mean.

We are Mommy and Daddy to Bonnie.  Even my husband uses those terms when talking to her! 😉. Even now, she is sitting on my foot, begging Daddy for food!  🐶

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, they knew better. Girls seem to prefer cats. Don't know why.

This girls has ALWAYS preferred puppy-dogs!  Woof-woof! ☺️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

We are Mommy and Daddy to Bonnie.  Even my husband uses those terms when talking to her! 😉. Even now, she is sitting on my foot, begging Daddy for food!  🐶

Enjoy, the devotion of a dog cannot be measured

  • Like 2
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

This girls has ALWAYS preferred puppy-dogs!  Woof-woof! ☺️

Me too,. I feel in love with my Great Dane  what a lovable dog

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Me too,. I feel in love with my Great Dane  what a lovable dog

Those are beautiful dogs, but I don’t think I could handle one that big!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, Clancy59 said:

Those are beautiful dogs, but I don’t think I could handle one that big!

They are gentle giants. We would laugh, if you sat on the sofa he would back up and sit on your lap, feet still on the floor 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

How I would have loved someone to come and tuck me in... I remember when mam died, dad insisted that her dog was his and she'd stay up until he went to bed. Every morning she would have waited for him to settle and then come to my bedroom and be sleeping at the bottom of my bed. Best nights sleep was one night after crying she left the room where dad was watching a film and jumped up on my bed.... pushing her nose under the blanket she weddled her way into my arms. Best nights sleep I ever had. She turned her back on dad eventually and became my dog. I'd take for long walks and never once used a lead. My brother and dad couldn't take her out the house without the lead or she would run off. Me, she would never leave my side as we walked. God I miss that little lady (she was a small smooth  haired jack).

  • Love 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Kev said:

How I would have loved someone to come and tuck me in... I remember when mam died, dad insisted that her dog was his and she'd stay up until he went to bed. Every morning she would have waited for him to settle and then come to my bedroom and be sleeping at the bottom of my bed. Best nights sleep was one night after crying she left the room where dad was watching a film and jumped up on my bed.... pushing her nose under the blanket she weddled her way into my arms. Best nights sleep I ever had. She turned her back on dad eventually and became my dog. I'd take for long walks and never once used a lead. My brother and dad couldn't take her out the house without the lead or she would run off. Me, she would never leave my side as we walked. God I miss that little lady (she was a small smooth  haired jack).

Dogs have a way to get to us. They are truly man's best friend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..