Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,375 Words
  • 3,171 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 26. Chapter 26

As they approached, I stood, my eyes on the young lady. Mom nudged me; when I looked at her, she had a big smile.

“Tony, this is one of Camilla’s best friends, Amalia.”

Switching to Italian, “Mi fa molto piacere conoscerti” (I’m very pleased to meet you), I felt Mom nudge me on the leg. I proceeded to introduce Mom and Dad.

We chatted for a few minutes. Luis and Camilla excused themselves; they had to visit with other guests. I offered a chair to Amalia, next to me, between Dad and me. We chatted while she had coffee. I finished eating, and there was some food on my plate. At home, Mom would say something but not this time.

We made arrangements for a tour of the village. The rest of the morning, I spent chatting with Amalia. I guess time caught up with me, and I must have yawned a few times. Luis and Camilla came over and suggested we go for a walk, and then I could turn in for the night.

During our walk, I discovered she was a school teacher and was the one who worked with Luis on his Italian. She asked about me, and I told her I was also a teacher and lived on a farm. Luis added that it was an old farm, she laughed.

When we returned to the hotel, we made arrangements to see each other the next day, which was Friday, the wedding day.

Before I could make it to my room, want to guess who was waiting for me.

“Mom, you should be trying to get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.”

“Not before you tell me how your afternoon went.”

Now I knew what she wanted to know. “It was very nice. We went to the church, and I was introduced to the priest. We walked through the wedding, then we took a stroll through the town, stopped for coffee, and then I came back here.”

I could see that wasn’t what she wanted to hear.

“She is very nice. Did you notice her blues eyes?”

“No, I didn’t.” I did, but I wasn’t going to tell her. If I did, in her mind, there would be a double wedding. “Mom, she is a very nice woman, but you don’t marry the first time you see someone. She lives and works here, and for all I know, she might already be engaged.”

Now, knowing Mom, she will know all there is to know about Amalia by the end of the day, tomorrow.

The wedding went as planned. If you have never gone to an Italian wedding, you have missed a wedding you would always remember. The food was more than 100 people could eat, the desserts were classic, and the wine flowed freely. After that night, I didn’t need to eat for the rest of the weekend. I did exercise a lot, and I had a companion that helped me to exercise.

I spent the days between the wedding and going home in the company of a charming young lady. By this time, Mom was aware of how I spent my time and with whom.

On the plane going home, “I think Amalia is a very nice young woman. You spent a lot of time with her.”

“Yes, Mom, she is a very nice person. I enjoyed the time I spent with her.” I didn’t need to say anymore. The sparkle in Mom’s eyes said it all.

Arriving home, I was glad to see the boys and Charlie. They wanted to know all about the trip. I told them about the wedding and meeting a young woman who was a teacher. I couldn’t believe it. There was a sly smile on their faces. I thought, no, not you guys as well.

School resumed, and now I was preparing for finals before Christmas break. That would be the end of this semester. The boys were hitting the books, and our dinner discussion turned to school. There was one topic that we didn’t discuss, it was there like it hovered over us, but no one wanted to mention it. What are the boys going to do for Christmas? They can’t go home. No other time of the year does family mean as much. And the hearts of these boys will grieve this Christmas instead of celebrating this holiday.

The semester ended, and the boys did very well. Mom had a gift for them. “Brad, Tom, when Tony finished a semester of school and did well, we always gave him a present. This is a present for each of you from Dad and I.”

The boys looked stunned for a moment, and then Mom was in the arms of two boys. The gift was a warm sweater with our crest on it. I knew Mom made those sweaters. If the boys needed any reminder, they were now part of our family. Those sweaters did it.

Christmas was celebrated at our home as it has been for the last three years. Dad got Charlie a new set of tools, and he said his tools had seen better days. Charlie must have never received any gifts. There was a sparkle in his eyes.

Christmas was always a special time for me. This year it was even more special. Christmas dinner was at Mom and Dad’s. The family was there, including Luis and Camilla. There was one other guest, a young lady I had met in Italy, Amalia.

“I’m surprise to see you?”

“When Camilla and Luis invited me to come and visit, I couldn’t say no. Your mother promised me that you would show me your home.”

“Tomorrow the family meets at my home. I’ll make sure Mom and Dad bring you.”

All through dinner, the boys would look at me, smile, and then wink when I caught them whispering. Their smiles told me they were talking about Amalia and me.

Mom, playing cupid, had Amalia sit next to me at dinner. That I didn’t mind, but when the conversation turned to when I was growing up, that was embarrassing. Even Uncle Angelo added a few comments. Luis and Gene added their comments. I was sure if there was any doubt in Amalia’s mind about who I was, it was answered that day.

Going home, the boys and Charlie began teasing me. “Tony, I think you have fallen in love with that young woman.”

“Why do you say that? She is a very nice young lady whom I met in Italy.”

“Yes, but we saw how you looked at her. I think there will be a lady living in our home, right Tom?”

“Yes, it will be nice to have a pretty woman sitting at our table. We’ll have to eat in the dining room from now on.”

The boys teasing was good fun. I didn’t mind.

The day after Christmas, Mom and Dad came over early, bringing Amalia. The boys had a fire in the dining room and living room fireplaces. Who do you think showed the house to Amalia? If you said Mom, you would be right. I was in the kitchen preparing food for those who would be visiting later in the day.

Mom came and put on an apron and helped with the food, Dad and the boys took Amalia on tour. By the time they came back, Mom and I had lunch ready.

“Tony, you have a large farm. My grandfather has a farm, but not as large as yours. He raises goats for milk and cheese.” This was all said in Italian, and I translated for the boys and Charlie.

“If it wasn’t for Brad and Tom, it would have been a small garden.” This I said in Italian. But the boys knew I said something about them as they heard their name. I told them what I said in Italian.

That made me think, if I decide Amalia is the woman for me, she will need to learn English, or Brad, Tom, and Charlie need to learn Italian. Mom always translated for Dad when necessary, but every one of Mom’s brothers and sisters spoke Italian and English. Something I need to discuss with Mom.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 21
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are three basic truths in life death,taxes and the older members of your family telling stories about you when you were growing up.Sounds like a good match maybe Amalia can be a teacher here.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Don't you just love family gatherings when you take someone that you want to impress and those old cinefilms taken when you were in shorts as a little kid running around, spinning and falling in the boating lake all come out and you dad laughs at you in front of them. Never did it again until I was married and then he slapped my son right in front of me... Didn't even spend the night, we packed back up and left... Never went again. Sometimes I think if I'd taken the wife to meet them before the marriage he would have talked her out of it... maybe I should have done, I could have come out a lot sooner🤣🤣

Loving Amalia and how she is sliding right into place in his heart... I think she has a new home at the farm now.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, so she gets to see and meet all the residents of the farm, I see that she compared it to her parents farm and it of course came out on top , lots of history there

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

Don't you just love family gatherings when you take someone that you want to impress and those old cinefilms taken when you were in shorts as a little kid running around, spinning and falling in the boating lake all come out and you dad laughs at you in front of them. Never did it again until I was married and then he slapped my son right in front of me... Didn't even spend the night, we packed back up and left... Never went again. Sometimes I think if I'd taken the wife to meet them before the marriage he would have talked her out of it... maybe I should have done, I could have come out a lot sooner🤣🤣

Loving Amalia and how she is sliding right into place in his heart... I think she has a new home at the farm now.

You may be right 

Have a bit of whiskey tonight and when you are done, put. your bad memories in the glass, take it outside and bury it. You are happy now, don't let the past hurt you any longer. Live for today, there is no changing what has happen. Or, you can write a book about your past, make it fiction, then post it on GA. You will get support.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, so she gets to see and meet all the residents of the farm, I see that she compared it to her parents farm and it of course came out on top , lots of history there

Yes, she knows about being a farmers wife

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

You may be right 

Have a bit of whiskey tonight and when you are done, put. your bad memories in the glass, take it outside and bury it. You are happy now, don't let the past hurt you any longer. Live for today, there is no changing what has happen. Or, you can write a book about your past, make it fiction, then post it on GA. You will get support.

Thank you:thankyou:🤓

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..