Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 849 Words
  • 3,585 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 4. Chapter 4

Dad did come over the following Saturday. We worked in the garden, placing poles and spreading fertilizer. “Tomorrow, I’ll bring over the tiller, and we can work this fertilizer into the ground.”

I spent the week preparing for my classes. School would start in a little over a month, and I needed to make a course outline. I did rent a car, they delivered it, but I had to drive the driver back to the agency. While there, I stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few items. I wanted to get the barn back in shape. My idea was to get four horses to pull the carriage. I would use it in parades. So I placed a note on the store’s bulletin board about hiring someone with barn building knowledge.

Arriving home, I began to work on my course outline, a syllabus. This I would give to each of my students. I would complement this with lectures and reading assignments. While building the outline, I pretty much determined how I would present the lectures. I had four of these to do to cover the four sessions at the University. An academic year was broken into four. Two sessions before summer break and two sessions before the end of the year holiday break.

When I finished that, I had something to eat, then went into the garden. Using a shovel, I started to blend the fertilizer into the soil. I didn’t get too far along when I gave up. The soil was hard from not being tilled for the last three years. I decided to wait for Dad.

I took a walk to the barn. I remembered playing here as a boy. From a cursory look, the roof looked okay until I went inside. You could see holes in the roof with the sun shining through. The inside was a mess and would need some work. I also noted that the hay that was left there was molded and rotting. I wonder if I could use that in the garden, a question for Dad. There were six stalls, which look reasonably large. I didn’t know if that was normal for a horse barn or not.

Walking back to the house, I decided to check out the apartment. Walking into the apartment, you could tell it needed a good airing. I opened the window and started to check out the rooms. The bedroom was relatively large, there was a dresser, with claw feet, which must have been brought from Italy, it was quite large. Three drawers were the length of the dresser and six drawers, three across, two high. On top of the dresser, there was a mirror that needed cleaning. Checking the bed, I knew it would need a new mattress. The mattress on the bed was old and had a smell. Instead of trying to save that one, a new one would be easier. The living room had a sofa covered in horsehair. That was quite the style in the 1800s. There was a wooden rocking chair, I sat in it, and it was comfortable. Beside the sofa, there was a chair and three side tables.

The kitchen needed to be redone. The stove was a wood stove, and the refrigerator was an old fashion icebox. Thinking I can use that icebox in the basement. The stove, I would need to replace it, something to finish for the future.

Dad came over, and Mom came along as well. Dad just smiled, I’m guiding the tiller, and every once in a while, I’d stop and pick a tomato. With the tilling all done, “Tony, you’ll need to go to a garden place this spring to buy some starter plants. You could start from seed, but with plants, you’ll be able to have vegetables sooner.”

“I was thinking of getting the barn repaired and buying horses. I’d like to be able to take the carriage out for the holidays. I think that would be fun. I have a job you can help me with. I want to remove the icebox from the apartment and place it in the basement.”

“Let’s eat first, and then I’ll help you. "

After dinner, dad helped me to bring the ice box to the basement. "What are you going to do with the wine in those barrels?”

“The small end barrel is empty. Uncle Angelo said to fill it with water, allowing the wood to absorb the moisture and prevent any leaks when I add the grape juice. I did that, there was some water dripping, but that has stopped.”

“So you are going to make wine from your grapes?”

“Yes, I’ve been reading, and I need to get a wine testing kit. You can measure the sugar content of the grape juice with this equipment. Then I can add sugar if needed. Pa just added the same amount of sugar, regardless of the sugar content of the grapes.”

“And what about the wine in the other barrels?”

“The wine isn’t that good. I think it has begun to turn to vinegar.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 19
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

34 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great progress in getting the house ready to really live in it. I think there a few more surprises in store for him 

Maybe, we will see shortly as he looks for help on the barn

  • Like 5
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Kev said:

I am loving the house... I'll put some labour in to help with the barn roof, if I can have the apartment once he has it up and ready for living in. Vinegar is good with fish and chips over in good old blighty... He should sell it to the Brits, we would never know. I mean we drink warm ale, we like Guinness and Milk Stout and things like piccalilli... The wine in the cellar would be heaven to people with taste buds like us🤪😜

I like vinegar with my fish and chips also. So you Brits can no longer keep it to yourselves. I' not an ale drinker so I'll stick to tea and coffee. That cellar wine is probably a good brand of vinegar

  • Like 4
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. He's making Great progress with the garden 

It will take a while to get it back in shape. He's determined and his dad will help

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

4 horses?It sounds like he's going to have to hire some help.Maybe a couple of his students?

Maybe or a few farm boys

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

The story is building slowly and steadily, which is very comforting. Especially as the chapters are coming frequently.

Four horses will be cost in time and money to to feed and take care of, just to use for only the holidays. I hope he finds other things for them to do.

What period of history does he teach? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I too wonder who is going to end up in the Apartment?

13 hours ago, Kev said:

Vinegar is good with fish and chips over in good old blighty...and things like piccalilli... 

I miss Fish and Chips with Vinegar and Mushy Peas. OMG! So yum. It was 2010 the last time I had that.

When I was young we used to have piccalilli with thick slices of corned silverside and a salad of slices of raw onions with slices of tomato in vinegar and something else? The sauce for the salad was made with Highlander milk and I think vinegar? But I'm not sure about that part. Of course there would be potato mash and mixed veg as well. Another OMG!

That was all so long ago now. Like last century in the 70s. Maybe the early 80s? Wow...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Very interested in what will happen with the barn and apartment!

The barn will be repaired and Tony will start to look for his horses. The apartment needs an update before he can do anything with that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I took some time out from reading this morning to find out a little bit about you  just checking on the information that you have put on line. There are some similarities in our background, I, too, was born in Colombus, Ohio and I am 88 years of age, a little wobbly on my feet, but otherwise in very good health (considering my age). I still have all my teeth, all my hair, though it is of course now totally white as opposed to the dishwater blond of my younger years, and, until I retired, was a Community Cillege Instructor in Civil Engineering Technology in Washington State. As a result of the financial troubles of 2008, I was forced to abandon my home near Seattle and move to a less expensive place to live. I am now quite comfortable with the income from Social Security and Teacher's Retirement, living in Bahia (northeastern Brazil). The warmer weather here is very kind to my 'old bones' and I see no reason to move back to the cold and wet of the Northwest.
I, too am somewhat of a history buff and have even written a couple of stories about my period of interest – the ere of Reconstruction following the Civil War, Probably not researched as thoroughly as your work with the Rome of the Caesars. I have found your writing style to be of fantastic interest and will be following along from chapter to chapter with the thread about the house. Do persue further writing as your style is a great boon to GA. In my opinion there are too many stories here written in poor English by youngsters with little experience in life about which to be creative.

Mister Will

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/6/2021 at 4:54 AM, Will Hawkins said:

I took some time out from reading this morning to find out a little bit about you  just checking on the information that you have put on line. There are some similarities in our background, I, too, was born in Colombus, Ohio and I am 88 years of age, a little wobbly on my feet, but otherwise in very good health (considering my age). I still have all my teeth, all my hair, though it is of course now totally white as opposed to the dishwater blond of my younger years, and, until I retired, was a Community Cillege Instructor in Civil Engineering Technology in Washington State. As a result of the financial troubles of 2008, I was forced to abandon my home near Seattle and move to a less expensive place to live. I am now quite comfortable with the income from Social Security and Teacher's Retirement, living in Bahia (northeastern Brazil). The warmer weather here is very kind to my 'old bones' and I see no reason to move back to the cold and wet of the Northwest.
I, too am somewhat of a history buff and have even written a couple of stories about my period of interest – the ere of Reconstruction following the Civil War, Probably not researched as thoroughly as your work with the Rome of the Caesars. I have found your writing style to be of fantastic interest and will be following along from chapter to chapter with the thread about the house. Do persue further writing as your style is a great boon to GA. In my opinion there are too many stories here written in poor English by youngsters with little experience in life about which to be creative.

Mister Will

Mister Will. It's too bad we haven't met up sooner. I'm sure we would have been great friends. Even though you live in Brazil, a 6 hour plane ride away, through the marvel of internet, we can still keep in touch. Brazil it is a hot spot for the Covid 19 virus, so do take care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..