Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 946 Words
  • 3,506 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 23. Chapter 23

At breakfast, “Tony, what do you think is a fair price for farm eggs?”

“I haven’t the slightest idea. We don’t buy eggs anymore, so I don’t even know the price of a dozen eggs. Do you have orders for our eggs?”

“Yes, the cafe said he would take 12 dozen a week.”

“Can we deliver that amount and at what price?”

“I checked at the market. They are selling eggs at a dollar nine-teen a dozen. The owner of the cafe is going to pay a dollar twenty if we don’t raise the price for a year.”

“He’s willing to pay a little more for a one-year contract?”

“Yes, and he likes our eggs. He cracked one and cooked it. I watch him as he ate it. That was when he said if we hold the price, he will pay one twenty per dozen.”

“How many dozens does he want?”

“He wants a minimum of twenty dozen a week. He said breakfast is his busiest time, and with these eggs, he expects his breakfast business to increase.”

“Do we have enough chickens to produce that many eggs?”

“Yes. We have increased the size of that pen three times, and we have room to increase it again if we need to do it. You are collecting almost six dozen eggs a day now. But you may need to buy a refrigerator to store them.”

“Maybe a cooler would be better, Tony. Then we can also keep the milk in there.”

“Okay, why don’t you see what you can find, Charlie. But the cost comes out of the egg money, so figure that in as well.”

If we are going to get Into the egg business, then the egg business needs to pay for any equipment we need. I never did find out what happened to the second dozen they took with them.

I told Dad about our egg business. He told Mom, and then everyone knew. Uncle Angelo said he still expects his two dozen a week. Soon the word spread, and now not only was I selling eggs, but a was also supplying eggs to my relatives.

Then boys did expand the chicken yard again. Charlie found a cooler like the one the boys had on their farms at home. It needed to be repaired and a new refrigeration unit. Charlie took it on as his project. When I told him the boys, and I would help, he refused. “I stay here for free, and I eat here for free, let me contribute to the farm as best as I can.”

I left him alone to work on the cooler. I told the boys to keep an eye on him and let me know if he needed anything. By the time school was out for the summer, I had a cooler for eggs and milk. I showed Dad, and he said what started as just a house is now a working farm. He was right.

The boys took their annual camping trip, and they took Charlie with them. I had a carpenter and crew build a garage for Charlie’s truck. It looked like a lean-to when it was finished. There wasn’t a door, and it was open in the front. A result of a quick build as I wanted it done before the boys and Charlie came home.

Dad came over and checked it out and said it would be fine. “Dad, if you help me, I’d like to rearrange the tool shed. I’m going to buy a freezer, and I want to put it there.”

“Why do you need a freezer?”

“I’m getting overrun with chickens. We could thin the herd, so to speak, and freeze the meat. Maybe you can take some home with you?”

“I’ll take some of those chickens you have ready for the freezer.” I laughed.

The boys came back from their camping trip and Charlie was smiling when he saw the garage for his truck. I guess that cemented any doubt he had about being welcomed here.

We celebrated July 4th at Uncle Angelo’s as usual. That became an annual event. I took several bottles of my wine with a few chickens as well. A few turned out to be a dozen after the boys loaded the trunk of the car.

Arriving, Luis and Gene met us, and they took the wine. The boys laughed as they took the chickens to Uncle Angelo for the grill. Mom came over, and she had the young lady from last year with her. This year she knew a few words in English. As we were talking, Luis came over, and I saw him taking her hand. I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Tony, I’d like for you to be an usher at my wedding.”

I looked at Mom, she had a big smile on her face, but it wasn’t as big as mine. “When is this wedding going to take place?”

“After I come back from Italy. Probably in September if her parents approve of me.”

“You will have to learn Italian unless her parents speak English.”

“I know a few words in Italian. Dad and your mom have been teaching me.”

I looked around, and there was no one I didn’t know. So I guess I was safe this 4th of July. I opened a bottle of my wine and toasted Luis and Camilla, “To a successful trip to Italy.”

“You seem happy.”

“Mom, I am happy for Luis. I think she is a pretty girl, and he seems to be in love with her. “ My mom looked at me, and I suspect she knew why I was happy.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 16
  • Haha 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

14 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I thought there was going to be another lady for Tony to meet I guess the family read our comments and learned their lesson lol.

I think they got the message, for now

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

The egg business seems to be successful for the guys.

Yes, Brad and Tom must be part salesmen. With the number of chickens, they need to sell those eggs. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Wow off the hook for the time being,till mom tries to play match maker again , the farm is starting to pay for itself

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Wow off the hook for the time being,till mom tries to play match maker again , the farm is starting to pay for itself

Yes, the boys will do their best and  they share in the profits.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Put me on the list for a dozen a week. 😂 Loving the story and the chapters just make it better… No, wait does that make sense? Oh well, I know what I mean.🤣 The place must be a good size supplying all of those eggs each week.  I could do with a couple of chicken breast if there are some spare... wait did I just say breasts? Oh well there has to be a first time for everything😱

So glad that Tony escaped the marriage posse this time around. I reckon he needs to look at what he's got and he and Charlie could make a nice couple. Just thought does the young lady know the history of the family? If not will she know the significance of the ring if she was to see it?

Loving this story... this time next week I'll be heading home after having my jab... Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but its mor ethe 25 minute walk to get tot he vaccine centre than the vaccine itself. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Are we still missing the goat?😆

Yes, I'm not sure the goat will arrive. We need to wait and see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..