Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 940 Words
  • 2,752 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 41. Chapter 41

Amo got his Doctorate and a teaching position at the University. He also met a young lady who is studying to be a veterinarian. He had invited her to the farm several times. Amalia and I approved. For his graduation gift, we bought him a car. Charlie said it was a sensible car, a family car, and was very reliable, Charlie’s exact words. Amo was very happy.

Amalia said she thought we would have another wedding soon. She was right. When Amo’s intended graduated, they were married. Another wedding party at the Italian club. For their honeymoon, they flew to Italy.

I bought the land next to the farm. I wanted to build a home for them. Upon returning from their honeymoon, they stayed with Amelia and me while their house was being built. I hired an architect and introduced him to Amo and his wife, Clair. Amo knew where the money to finance his home construction came from. When he mentioned cost, I just winked.

Life is a continuous cycle. We are placed here on earth from love, so they say, but not all. A boy in Vic’s class was having problems. Vic said he studies and does well in class, but he is very thin, and there are bruises on his body. I told Vic. he needs a friend.

The next day when Vic left for class, he had two lunches. He knew who would get the second lunch. The rest of the week, Vic had two lunches.

On Saturday, during our walk, to check the grapes, “How is your friend?”

“Papa, he said he would do my homework if I keep sharing my lunch with him.”

“What did you say?”

“I told him I’d keep sharing if he would be my friend.”

I love my son as I hugged him. “Why don’t you invite him over Sunday when we take the carriage out?”

“It will have to be next week.”=

“That’s okay.” That night, lying in bed, I told Amalia what Vic had said, and I had invited him over Sunday for a ride in our carriage. Her smile was her reply.

All week when Vic came home from school, he would tell me about his friend. “Vic, what is his name?”

“His name is Francis, but he asked me to call him Frank.”=

I had one question that I didn’t want to ask or know the answer, did he still come to school with bruises.

Sunday after church, Vic gave me Frank’s address. He and I went to pick him up. I was shocked when I saw where he lived. The house was a shack. My animal sheds were in better shape than this house. The roof was only boards, and I’m sure they leaked. There was one window. No glass, but it was covered with a cloth. Vic went and knocked on the door, a woman came dressed in dirty rags, and I was being kind. When she saw Vic, she called Francis. The boy came to the door in short pants, a T-shirt, and no shoes.

“Vic, I can’t go with you.”=

“Why not?”

“The only good clothes I have are what I wear to school. If I wear them and they get dirty or torn, then I can’t go to school.”

“Come like that. My dad doesn’t care. You are my friend. Wait a moment.”

Vic went to the car, “Dad, he said he couldn’t come because of his clothes.”

“Here, give this to him. It’s for his mother.” I had two dozen eggs and four sausages. “Tell him you have play clothes you will be wearing as well.”

“Dad, he said his mother told him they couldn’t accept the food .”

I was amazed. She let pride get in the way of feeding her family. “Vic, tell him he can work on the farm to pay for the food.” I watched, and evidently, that was okay.

Over the rest of the term, Frank was a frequent visitor to our home. He did chores side-by-side with Vic. After two months, he began to come home after school with Vic. I let him use a set of Vic’s work clothes; that was what Vic called the clothes he wore when he did his chores. At the end of the day, Vic and I drove Frank home. He had his pay and food every time.

It was toward the end of the term when Victor came home. He was very upset. “What happened at school that has upset you?”

“Frank said he would have to leave school.”

“Why?”

“His mother is ill, and some people came and took her to the hospital. They asked him if he had any relatives close by, he told him no. They said they would find a place for him. They are coming tomorrow morning.”

“Let’s go.” Arriving at Frank’s place, the house looked vacant. Vic went and knocked on the door, calling his name. About 20 minutes later, I saw Frank come out of the small woods behind the house. When he saw my car, he ran to the car.

Vic saw him running to the car and joined him as Frank reached my car. “Frank, anything you want to take with you, get it now, Vic, you go and help him.

“Dad, there wasn’t much, books, some clothing, and a photo.”

“Frank, you are going to stay with us until I find out what’s happening to your mother.”

I saw tears, and I knew why he was in the woods. Arriving home, ”Vic, show your friend to one of the bedrooms. Then come down for something to eat.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 16
  • Sad 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

20 minutes ago, davewri said:

Did we miss the part where all the gold was found in the trunk?

Yes, and its was my fault. When I posted I didn't scroll down far enough. I have corrected it and if you read Chapter 40 you will answer your equation. Again I apologize.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Chris L said:

The reread of Chapter 40 was so worth it! I said the Grans were looking down on Tony smiling there but after reading this Chapter, I know Victorio is definitely smiling down on his Great Grandson because of the way he's acting and helping others. Vic and Francis are very lucky boys to have each other at such a young age and a great role model in Tony! 

Yes, I think Vic is going to be so much like his dad. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

A sad chapter, but I think Frank will be ok with Vic and his family.

He will be I think he has a best bud relationship with Vic and Vic seems to look to for him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

If you go back and re-read chapter 40 you will find out what ws in the trunk. And possible where the other trunks are. You might be right about the family growing at least in friendship.

 

 

 

 

 

Ok I will do that I think that I missed chapter 40

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, mikedup said:

Ok I will do that I think that I missed chapter 40

No it was incomplete. I compose off line and then copy to the GA. If I don't copy all of its or because of spacing on GA, I may think the posting is complete when It isn't.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Ok I will do that I think that I missed chapter 40

Ok I did read it but I did miss the last part and I now makes sense , sorry about the query, and thanks for for fixing it

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Ok I did read it but I did miss the last part and I now makes sense , sorry about the query, and thanks for for fixing it

No need to be sorry. I appreciate your comment, it gave me the chance to correct it and complete the chapter. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Some  reading this might think Tony went overboard with giving Amo a car and buying land so Amo can build a house but the way I see it Tony doesn't find out about the gold without Amo reading the journals so I think of it as a well deserved finders fee.

Vic is such a good kid.Frank's bruises are not explained yet but it had to be the Mom I guess.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Some  reading this might think Tony went overboard with giving Amo a car and buying land so Amo can build a house but the way I see it Tony doesn't find out about the gold without Amo reading the journals so I think of it as a well deserved finders fee.

Vic is such a good kid.Frank's bruises are not explained yet but it had to be the Mom I guess.

Amo knows the secret and there is plenty. I think Tony and Amo have become good friends as well as being bother-in-laws. I agree, that money would have stayed there until the building collapsed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think I missed something here... Take the day off to do chores and I miss the excitement of missing info, (hey I assumed that you would work it in, in the next edition. About to head back to 40 to re-read 😂 ... Loving the story and the twist it has taken. Maybe Tony and his wife are about to become parents to one that needs love because unless I am reading the signs wrong it is not good news about the boys mum. Loving your writing.... :thankyou:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

I think I missed something here... Take the day off to do chores and I miss the excitement of missing info, (hey I assumed that you would work it in, in the next edition. About to head back to 40 to re-read 😂 ... Loving the story and the twist it has taken. Maybe Tony and his wife are about to become parents to one that needs love because unless I am reading the signs wrong it is not good news about the boys mum. Loving your writing.... :thankyou:

Do you have a crystal ball?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

I get the feeling that Frank’s mother may have cancer or something else as to why she is unwell, hopefully Frank will live with young Vic and his family if the worse happens to his mother, I doubt that a father is around? 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 1
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Bft said:

I get the feeling that Frank’s mother may have cancer or something else as to why she is unwell, hopefully Frank will live with young Vic and his family if the worse happens to his mother, I doubt that a father is around? 

you are correct

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..