Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 493 Words
  • 3,684 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 11. Chapter 11

The day before the boys were due back, Uncle Angelo and Luis brought over half a calf and half a pig. Pa had some salt but not enough. Uncle Angelo checked what I had, “I’ll send over some more next week. If you run out, let me know.”

I started to clean the carcasses, getting them ready for salting. I was going to cut out the ham and ribs, decided against it since all I had was just half of a pig.

When the boys came back, they had chickens, well, peeps. They also had some smoked meat and eggs. Bringing the food into the kitchen, “A donation from our parents.”

“Did you tell your parents about living here?”

“Yes, Dad said to give you these.”

“That looks like corn.”

“Yes, it’s called horse corn; it’s tough to chew but dried out and roughed mill, it’s good for chickens.”

“So we need to plant this and then get a corn mill?”

“Yes, next spring, we’ll plant this. We’ll look for a mill and let you know when we find one. Are you still interested in getting the Olds and Chevy running?”

“Yes, I talked with Charlie, and he said as soon as he had a break, he would come out. Why?”

“He said he could come in early November to work on the cars. He’d need a place to stay.”

I smiled, “That’s good news. And as a place to stay, you do know that that sofa is a sofa bed. So he can stay with you.”

They didn’t seem to like that idea. “What’s the problem?”

“Charlie doesn’t know about us.”

“I was under the impression you were going to tell your parents of your relationship.”

“Well, we were, only when we were ready; Dad started ranting about one of our friends being a deviate. We knew he was like us, so with Dad ranting, we kept quiet.”

“Okay, I’ll send your dad a note thanking him for the corn. Do I include the peeps as well?”

“No, just the corn, our parents don’t know we took the peeps.”

I just looked at them. They knew I wasn’t happy about them doing that.

It was Tom who noticed I wasn’t smiling anymore. “It isn’t like we robbed them. Those chickens always have peeps. We only took six from my farm and six from Brad’s farm.”

There wasn’t much I could do. The peeps were here, and there was no way I could return them. “I don’t like what you did. I would’ve paid your parents for the peeps. You can redeem yourselves if you go to town and buy feed and water troughs. I think you also need to buy whatever you feed peeps. I want to see the bills.”

The boys agreed, “Take the peeps and put them in the barn.”

I didn’t remember Nonna or Pa having chickens. I wonder why they didn’t. I’ll ask Mom; she’ll know.

I apologize for not posting last night. I forgot , old age is my excuse.
Short chapter but IU'll try and make up for it. The chickens have arrived
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 15
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. The boys have returned, I don't think they'll ever tell there parents. I don't think the boys have anything to worry about with Charlie. The peeps have arrived, the 12 will soon multiply and be producing eggs. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Those little thieves! Peep Peep! 😂

Yes, but Tony wasn't happy about the way they got them.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kev said:

I missed you last night😪I had to retire without my nightly dose of the House. Peeps, I can guess what they are but never heard the term over here before. I always fancied having some but what the wife wanted she got (so glad I'm out of there)... She didn't like cats, so no cats. She hated dogs, so no dogs and even though her family had chickens the glared said it all. I did get her to allow the kids to have Gerbils and just as when I was a kid, they little beggers bred like... We had to donated them back tot he pet shop in the end. We kept two males... The first two were sold as females... maybe they were but if they were then when they were in the same cage a she got the other she pregnant😜 Gave up on pets after that.🤣🤣🤣Really loving this story... Awesome, absolutely awesome.  

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, so they helped themselves to some chickens, but more to add to the residents of the estate

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. The boys have returned, I don't think they'll ever tell there parents. I don't think the boys have anything to worry about with Charlie. The peeps have arrived, the 12 will soon multiply and be producing eggs. 

The parents will find out.  How they will react is the question.  Dad sounds like he may not be too open to the situation.  He’s one out of four.  What about the other three?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so they helped themselves to some chickens, but more to add to the residents of the estate

Yep, I could just see Tony's face when they told him they. just took the peeps without telling their parents.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

The parents will find out.  How they will react is the question.  Dad sounds like he may not be too open to the situation.  He’s one out of four.  What about the other three?

I'm not sure they will find out about the peeps. Like the boys said there are always peeps. I qm guessing, but if they aren't making sure they get all the eggs, then there will be peeps for sure. I think there were more nd the boys didn't take them all.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I was slightly confused in a previous chapter if I remember right you said Brad and Tom called Tony's parents Mom and Dad .I should have known they were referring to their parents because why would Tony's parents have peeps.Brad and Tony might be unaware but don't be surprised if Charlie already knows about them and just hasn't said anything.However the Dad that was ranting could be a problem

  • Like 3
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I was slightly confused in a previous chapter if I remember right you said Brad and Tom called Tony's parents Mom and Dad .I should have known they were referring to their parents because why would Tony's parents have peeps.Brad and Tony might be unaware but don't be surprised if Charlie already knows about them and just hasn't said anything.However the Dad that was ranting could be a problem

Yes, the boys have begun to call Tony's parents Mom and Dad. The boys are old enough to be considered adults under the law, so their birth parents have no authority over them. They are idiots, to give up these boys. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, jeff said:

Enjoying another great story. I have a feeling the family will be growing by one. Thanks

Yes, Charlie will join the group

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The home seems to have a magical hold on those who visit. What will Charlie do when he is done fixing the cars?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

The home seems to have a magical hold on those who visit. What will Charlie do when he is done fixing the cars?

Probably putter around. Might help Dad with  his farm equipment. I'm sure he will look after the cars and carriage. Just taking it easy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I'm not sure they will find out about the peeps. Like the boys said there are always peeps. I qm guessing, but if they aren't making sure they get all the eggs, then there will be peeps for sure. I think there were more nd the boys didn't take them all.

You know I wasn’t talking about the peeps!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 2/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, CLJobe said:

Those 12 will produce a multitude of chickens, miss one laying on her eggs and they can multiply exponentially 

There's an art to checking the sex of a chick, there's a good chance that half of them are male. The job's quite well paid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Paqman said:

There's an art to checking the sex of a chick, there's a good chance that half of them are male. The job's quite well paid.

Yes, you are right.  But if you wait about 6-8 weeks, you'll know. Those people who can tell the sex off a peep are unusual and I imagine they. do get paid well..  The worse thing that could happen is that you buy a box of peeps nd find out you got a box of roosters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..