Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,347 Words
  • 3,310 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 28. Chapter 28

Spring break was over, and the boys and Charlie returned, thankfully without any animals.

Amalia and I have been corresponding quite frequently. I invited her to spend the summer with us. She wrote back that Mom had asked her, and she had accepted. Now I knew for sure Mom had picked her for my wife. That night when my visitors came, I told them that Amalia would spend her summer here in that States. Nonna smiled and kissed me on my cheek. I assumed that was her way of giving me her approval.

I didn’t say anything to Mom about any of the correspondence between Amalia and me. At lunch one Saturday, “Tony, have you been writing to Amalia?”

Now I knew Amalia must’ve said something. “I answer her letters.” I know she wanted to learn more.

“Has she said anything about spending the summer here?”

“No, nothing in the last letter I received.” I love playing this game with my mother. I remember her doing this when I was living at home.

“I think she is a nice young woman, so I have invited her to visit doing the summer when school is out.”

“She hasn’t mentioned anything in her letters. She did say something about a young man she met.” Mom’s motives are so obvious that I like to tease her a little.

When she thinks and schemes, and she does that, I watched Mom. She has a funny way of compressing her lips. I waited a few seconds and then started to laugh. At first, she was confused and then she realized that the young man Amalia met was me. Yes. I got a swat on the head, but she smiled when she did it.

School was out, and the boys had done very well. They had three more years before they would obtain their Masters’s degree.

Now the work would begin on the farm. Gardens needed to be planted, fields needed to be plowed and sown with oats and corn. The work in Pa’s garden started earlier when Dad brought his tiller over. The time-consuming job was the field for the oats and corn.

There are two times when it is the busiest on the farm. Spring for planting and the Fall for harvesting. The time in between is utilized for repairs, expanding, and enjoying the farm.

The first week in June, we had a visitor, Amalia, arrived, and we had dinner at Mom and Dad’s, welcoming her back. I was glad to see her, and she had a surprise for us. She spoke in English. I must have looked surprised, she laughed.

“I could speak a little English, so I had the English teacher at my school help me.”

“I’m happy for you,” I said that in Italian.

“Tony, while I am here, please speak in English. I still need to learn.”

The boys were surprised and glad when she spoke to them in English. Later on, I found out that Camilla urged her to learn the language. I think Mom had elicited her help to get me married, and Amalia was the one Mom picked as her daughter-in-law.

I had no objections to that. Amalia was an attractive woman who went out of her way to learn English. From her letters, I knew that she liked me. I think Camilla had some influence. Of all of Uncle Angelo’s sons, I was closer to Luis than Gene. Luis and I were the same age, and Gene was two years older. Maybe that had something to do with it.

The boys came home from camping with Charlie, no animals. I think they got the message. I did allow them to have turkeys with the understanding they will be Thanksgiving dinner. Summer was a repeat of the previous summer’s, I now had vegetables to can or freeze. Selling our chickens allowed me some space for frozen vegetables. This year I had the help of an attractive assistant. The boys asked her if there was a special dish that was her favorite. She said there was, and at the boys urging; she promised to make it for Sunday’s dinner.

Saturday, Amalia spent walking the farm. She took a paper bag and a small knife. When she came back, she showed Tony what she had. A large bag full of Dandelion. “Tony, I need to go to the store if I’m to cook for the boys on Sunday.”

Tony smiled as he drove the Chevy out of the garage with his charming companion. Arriving at the store, Amalia picked up several bags of dried beans and a bag of potatoes. She was going to buy canned tomatoes when Tony said he had some. She bought celery, carrots, kale, and lemons. “Tony, do you have cheese?” Tony said he did. She asked mozzarella, and he said no. Next was rice and bread crumbs. Smiling, she said she was finished.

Checking out, Tony added a candy bar. “We’ll split it.”

Arriving home, Tom saw them and helped to carry the groceries into the kitchen. When Tony’s mom and dad came over for dinner that night, the boys told them that Amalia would cook something for them on Sunday.

Now the language changed to Italian as Mom questioned Amalia as to what she had planned on making. Amalia told her. Mom smiled. Now in English, I’ll come over and help.

The boys and Charlie were confused, “Amalia will make two Italian dishes that are not found in Italian restaurants. I’m sure you will enjoy them. I know I will.”

Saturday, when Mom and Amalia arrived, they began to prepare Amalia’s dinner for Sunday. At lunch, I noticed the dandelion was rinsed and in a bowl. I suspect that will be the salad or at least part of the salad. There was also a large bowl of cooked rice and a bowl containing the dry beans in water.

Dad came over for dinner. Mom and Amalia made polenta with chicken in a tomato sauce. The boys cleaned up. I mean, all of the food was gone. They waited until all the rest of us had finished eating, then they started emptying the bowls. Mom and Amalia had smiles on their faces as they watch the boys doing this. For them, it meant the food was good.

Sunday’s meal was all Amalia’s recipe. Mom and Dad came over for lunch, which was sandwiches with a cold vegetable salad. Mom and Amalia chased us out of the kitchen, so we hooked up the horses and took the carriage out for a ride.

I always enjoyed these rides. The kids along the way would wave. When we stopped, they would approach to pat the horses. Those who were going to do this for the first time had a tutor to help them. I think the horses loved it as well.

When we got back, brushed, and fed the horses, it was time to get ready for dinner. We decided to take a quick shower, and the boys headed to their apartment. I headed to my room. Dad said he didn’t need to shower as he didn’t brush the horses. In other words, he didn’t smell like a horse.

Dinner was interesting. We had rice balls stuffed with chicken in a tomato sauce. The rice balls were breaded and fried to a golden brown. I had two, and I noticed the boys had three. I smiled and wondered if they knew they are giving Amalia’s cooking their approval. We had what appeared to be a soup made with beans and vegetables in chicken stock. The boys emptied the pot. If Amalia needed the approval of her cooking, the boys did just that. For a salad, we had dandelion in a vinaigrette dressing. All dishes went back empty. But that isn’t unusual in this house with the boys.

Later that evening. Sitting in the living room, with a glass of wine, we toasted Amalia. I was getting the feeling if I didn’t court this young lady, the boys and Charlie would disown me.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 25
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

I grew up on Dandelion salad. You pick the complete dandelion root and all. You remove the outer layer of the root, then you make a vinaigrette and you have a salad. Some people cook it like spinach. It's very healthy and has a light taste. I recommend it, just be careful where you pick it, stay away from cow pastures. I don't know if you could buy it in a restaurant. I have never seen it on a menu

You can buy dandelion greens in the spring in a grocery store not far from where I live (Oakland/Berkeley, CA). A few restaurants, including some of the fancier ones, include them in salads. 

On the other hand, it's hard to find a good Italian restaurant and then they're very expensive, not like the ones in every neighborhood when I was growing up in Brooklyn.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, frosenblum said:

You can buy dandelion greens in the spring in a grocery store not far from where I live (Oakland/Berkeley, CA). A few restaurants, including some of the fancier ones, include them in salads. 

On the other hand, it's hard to find a good Italian restaurant and then they're very expensive, not like the ones in every neighborhood when I was growing up in Brooklyn.

You probably lived in Little Italy or close to it when you lived in Brooklyn. I only saw dandelion in  grocery store once, it was just the leaves .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Chris L said:

I feel like Amalia and Tony started off as love at first sight and are already courting each other - just not officially. Hell, anyone that good in the kitchen - man or woman, is a plus in my book! :) 

I agree, give me a good cook, and I'm happy. Of course I say this as an old man.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Amalia has found her way into Tony and the boys hearts by cooking for them.

The old saying, "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Everyone is in Amalia's court now.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I only hope that she knows that Brad and Tom are a couple and that she is ok with that? She needs to know 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Bft said:

I only hope that she knows that Brad and Tom are a couple and that she is ok with that? She needs to know 

I think when she knows she will be okay with it 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 3/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, CLJobe said:

I grew up on Dandelion salad. You pick the complete dandelion root and all. You remove the outer layer of the root, then you make a vinaigrette and you have a salad. Some people cook it like spinach. It's very healthy and has a light taste. I recommend it, just be careful where you pick it, stay away from cow pastures. I don't know if you could buy it in a restaurant. I have never seen it on a menu

I have never heard of Dandelion salad or eating any Dandelion, but I have had Dandelion Wine when I was visiting up in Indiana back in the 80's. I didn't think it was that great myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/7/2022 at 12:56 PM, pickuptoy said:

I have never heard of Dandelion salad or eating any Dandelion, but I have had Dandelion Wine when I was visiting up in Indiana back in the 80's. I didn't think it was that great myself. 

I don't care for dandelion wine but the leaves make a great salad. I would pick the leaves in early spring before they flowered. Scrape the dirt off the roots and they are edible as well wit a vinaigrette dressing 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The Arancini are absolutely delicious, My family makes them for New Years stuffed with Parma Ham/ Cheese and Wild Mushrooms in others . Dandelion Salads are Delicious, I remember having one at Cafe Fanny ( Alice Waters) Restaurant Berkeley Ca many years ago . 

Link to comment
18 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

The Arancini are absolutely delicious, My family makes them for New Years stuffed with Parma Ham/ Cheese and Wild Mushrooms in others . Dandelion Salads are Delicious, I remember having one at Cafe Fanny ( Alice Waters) Restaurant Berkeley Ca many years ago . 

You and I have the same fond memories. I think my Nonna was the best cook.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..