Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 786 Words
  • 3,499 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 15. Chapter 15

I brought up two jars of Nonna’s tomato paste and three jars of her canned tomatoes. The fresh tomatoes we’ll use for salad. I always took having salad for granted, and it seems we have it at every meal, except breakfast. I bet if we had a breakfast recipe that called for tomatoes, we would have it then as well.

Dad and Brad came back, and I told Dad about the Chevy. He wanted to meet Charlie. I don’t know what Brad and he talked about, except they left with two hens and Charlie. I knew the Olds was not going to get finished before Charlie had to leave.

While they were gone, Mom and Tom went fruit picking. I started to make dinner. I had to wait until Mom came back to make the pasta. I could do it, but two could do it faster. Since the dough is rich in eggs, it needs to be cut once it is rolled thin. This dough will dry very fast. You have to roll it in small pieces, and the rest is kept under a moist towel.

Mom came in laughing, “What’s so funny?”

“I was showing Tom where the trees were, and he saw a small garter snake. He jumped and ran. He almost tripped and would have fallen into the stream.”

I looked at Tom, “Well, I didn’t know it was harmless.”

“I showed Tom the stream of water. We followed it to the spring. If it could be diverted, it could provide water for the horses.” I looked at Tom, he nodded.

Mom washed her hands, tied on one of Nonna’s apron, we started to make pasta.

By the time Brad, Charlie and Dad came back, the pasta was ready to cook. I went and brought up two lengths of sausage, and Mom took over the kitchen.

“Tony, I don’t think I’ll be able to work on the Olds. I told your dad I’d take a look at one of his tractors. I will take a look at the wheels on the carriage.”

“That’s okay, Charlie. You got the Chevy running. That was the most important for me.”

I didn’t see Charlie much his last week here. He did tell me that he greased the wheels on the carriage. When he was leaving, I paid him for his time and gave him a bonus from Dad. “Charlie, thanks for everything. Anytime you want a break, you’ll be welcomed here.” The boys drove Charlie to the train station.

When they returned, they told me that they told Charlie about them living together. “Charlie said he would keep it a secret from our folks.”

I took the rental car back to the agency and started to drive the Chevy. The first day I drove it to school, it caused a lot of interest, especially among the older faculty.

With the salami and sausage made, I turned to the wine. Taking a large pail, I went and started to pick the grapes. As soon as the boys saw me doing that, I had helpers. As my bucket got full, I would go and dump the grapes into the crusher. I did the first; then the boys took over. As I started to crush the grapes, I realized how lucky I was in having the boys.

When all of the grapes were crushed, I measure the sugar content of the grape juice. The boys wanted to know how I knew the sugar content. I explained the tool, which measured the specific gravity of the juice. I showed them the chart, which told me how much sugar to add. Dad gave me an old scale, which I used for measuring the sugar. After mixing the sugar in the grape juice, I poured the juice into the middle barrel. Sealed it, put a line from the filling bung into a glass bottle filled with water. Again I explained as the grape juice fermented, a gas would be given off. The gas would go through the tube into the bottle and will create bubbles. When the bubbles stop, the juices should be wine. The boys asked if that was the way my grandfather did it. “No, he would taste it when he thought it was finished fermenting."

“What are you going to do with the leftover from crushing the grapes.”

“My grandfather would add sugar. After that was finishing fermenting, he would collect the juice by distilling that mash. That’s how you make grappa.”

The boys laughed, “Old Zeke did that with corn.” Then I heard about Zeke making his whiskey.”

“That stuff was so bad. Dad used it to degrease the old tractor. I think Charlie used it as well.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 10
  • Haha 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I knew the Chevy had sentimental value for Tony but it must be some kind of classic if it got a lot of attention when he drove it to the school.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

We are getting no clues of the time frame. No clues about the money in the safe. Maybe the author has reasons for being so mysterious. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I knew the Chevy had sentimental value for Tony but it must be some kind of classic if it got a lot of attention when he drove it to the school.

It was Pa's car and I'm guessing it was one of the earlier models. For Tony, it was all about his rides with Pa

  • Like 5
Link to comment

OMG, fresh homemade pasta, wine in the making, grappa on the way ... just shoot me now, I've died and gone to heaven! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Chris L said:

OMG, fresh homemade pasta, wine in the making, grappa on the way ... just shoot me now, I've died and gone to heaven! 

Do you know or have any friends from Italy, or of Italian descent? Most of the Italians who immigrated to the US,. brought with them to knowledge of how to make wine, sausage and salami. Pasta, anyone can make, give it a try. Just remember it dries fast, so follow Tony's way.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Yummy, more homemade food. Tony is lucky to have the boys as his helpers 

Tony couldn't accomplish what he has with out the boys

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, things are definitely getting together with everyone's help , Charlie did what he could given the time limits, I hope he keeps the secret, I think that he will definitely be back soon

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, things are definitely getting together with everyone's help , Charlie did what he could given the time limits, I hope he keeps the secret, I think that he will definitely be back soon

I agree, I think he will be back soon as well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drsawzall said:

I have a feeling the horses are about to arrive!

Yes, I think you might be right

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 I bet if we had a breakfast recipe that called for tomatoes, we would have it then as well.

Full English. Fried or grilled tomatoes in it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Paqman said:

 I bet if we had a breakfast recipe that called for tomatoes, we would have it then as well.

Full English. Fried or grilled tomatoes in it.

After I wrote that chapter I thought about an English breakfast. But I didn't have a source of black pudding. I also thought of scramble eggs with tomatoes, they would have ol be canned tomatoes or tomatoes out of their skin. Tony said too much trouble. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 2/24/2021 at 6:30 AM, CLJobe said:

Think, Pa number one arrived in the 1800's, five generations to Tony, assume they lived until 65, do the math. Tony has a doctorate in history which would put him at 26-27 years old.

My uneducated guess is about 1925. Before the great depression.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, davewri said:

My uneducated guess is about 1925. Before the great depression.

Yes, you might be right. I didn't really calculated the years when I wrote this. I think thee timing would be about that time

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..