Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 938 Words
  • 1,107 Views
  • 21 Comments
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

The Home - 35. Chapter 35

Two years have passed. In their final year at the University, Brad and Tom are working on their Masters’s degree in Education. They have been tossing around the idea of continuing and earning their Doctorate in Education. They have also been talking with several high schools in our State. Tom thought he had an excellent possibility of getting a job at a high school in the next county. He was upbeat about this as it meant he could stay in the apartment. Brad hadn’t made up his mind if he wanted to continue at the University working toward his Doctorate.

Amo was in his second year at the University and doing quite well. After many discussions with Brad and Tom, he decided to work toward a degree in Agronomy. He wanted a greenhouse, so Brad and Tom built him one. If you were looking for Amo, you could always find him in his greenhouse.

Amalia decided to take a few education courses at the University. She was going to teach Italian at a local high school. One other event happened, Amalia became pregnant, and Mom was over the moon. The house had a new glow to it, smiles everywhere. And you hear ‘let me do that’ every time Amalia went to do something.

My feelings for Amalia grew each day. When I first saw her, it was love at first sight. I think that was because she reminded me so much of Nonna when she was young. As I spent that summer with her, I discovered a charming young lady who shares my educational interests. Each day I spent with her that summer revealed a woman who had a deep interest In education. When she lived in Italy, she taught mathematics at the secondary level. I asked her if she wanted to teach mathematics in one of our high schools. She wasn’t sure, and teaching Italian would let her determine if there is a need for a mathematic teacher. There was some concern about obtaining a teaching certificate. She had her papers from when she taught in Italy but wasn’t sure if they would accept them in the States.

The local high school permitted her to teach Italian as an elective the last hour of the school day. There was one other condition. She wouldn’t be paid until she had her teaching certificate.

For Amalia, money wasn’t the problem. Teaching was what she knew and liked. So she agreed while I spent my time helping her to obtain a teaching certificate. She needed two courses that she could get at my University. She enrolled, with a little help from me, and during the first year of our marriage, we had lunch together at the University’s cafeteria. I tried to get her to enroll in the University full-time, I enjoyed having lunch with her.

It was May when Amalia told me she was pregnant. “Tony, don’t tell anyone. I don’t want to be treated as an invalid. I can still take care of the house and teach.”

I didn’t like that. I didn’t want anything to happen to Amalia or the baby. As it turned out, I didn’t have to tell anyone. It was Mom who looked at her on Sunday when they came over for dinner. “Amalia are you pregnant?”

Everyone stopped eating, “Mom, what did you say?”

“Are you pregnant because I think you are.”

Amalia looked at me, “I didn’t say anything. I’m, glad that it is out and we can help. As much as you want to continue taking care of the household, I don’t want anything to happen to you or the baby.”

Then the questions started, when are you due, do you want a boy or girl. The guys pitched in, and I think deep down Amalia was glad she didn’t have to do a lot of the housework. “Amalia, you better tell your folks. If you don’t, Mom will.”

Amilia told her mom, and her mom and dad flew over. The net effect was her mom stayed, and her dad went back to Italy. At first, she stayed with Mom, but when Amalia began to show a bump, she moved into the house. Now Amalia nearly did nothing. What her mom didn’t do, the boys did. Amalia may not have been born to royalty, but she must have felt it.

As time passed, in November, Amalia presented me with a son. I named him Victorio after Pa. Amalia was okay with the name, but the middle name was her father’s name, Piero. I smiled as I thought another Pa would occupy this house.

We had the baptism at the church where we were married. Piero came over one week before the baptism with the priest who married us. The other members of her family sent gifts. Amo stood for the child. He was smiling, and I think Victorio smiled at him as well. It seemed where ever Amo went that day. He had a special package that he carried. I don’t know who was more proud, Amo or me.

For the second time, we used the Italian club for the celebration.

I falsely believed that everything would return to normal at home. It didn’t happen. When Brad or Tom wasn’t working the farm or studying, they had Little Vic with them. When I commented on it, their reply was, ‘we are his uncles.' And they acted like this young child was the most important little guy in their life. Amo was the same way. If Amo didn’t have him, then Brad or Tom had him.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 25
  • Haha 2
If you enjoyed what you have read, please leave a reaction and/or comment for the author!

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Do you think the will be spoiled? YES he will. I am still finding places for everything. One of these days I will be caught up.

Yes, he will be spoiled, but in a good way.  At least we know he won’t turn out to be a spoiled bully because his family won’t tolerate that kind of behavior.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Yes, he will be spoiled, but in a good way.  At least we know he won’t turn out to be a spoiled bully because his family won’t tolerate that kind of behavior.  

He will be spoiled with love and encouragement. Lots of hugs

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Congratulations are definitely in order, he is a welcome addition to the farm and family , he will be spoilt, but then all babies need that. Glad your move was successful

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

Love, love, love this Italian family and Victorio has won my heart. I remember being one of those doting uncles when I first started working.

My brother and his wife had a boy and neither of them knew what to do. The first time I visited the poor little thing had been put down for the night but was crying. I ignored them completely and picked him up and sang to him as I finished giving him the last bottle. I must be boring as he fell asleep in my arms. Neither of them had a clue as I ended up teaching them how to hold, how to bathe and how to feed the poor little thing. One thing that did work was 'If in doubt sing a lullaby'. Not seen him for forty years now as my brother got divorced and we lost touch with the mother.

I can just picture Tony's mom and dad and how proud they would be. They say holding your own child is one of the greatest things you can do in life... I disagree. The greatest day of my life was holding my two hour old grand daughter and seeing her big lump of a father crying his eyes out as he took pictures for his daddy's bragging book.

PS... Hope you find your new home to be as happy as the home in the story seems to make our hero and his family.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Congratulations are definitely in order, he is a welcome addition to the farm and family , he will be spoilt, but then all babies need that. Glad your move was successful

I think he will be loved and I don't call that being spoiled. Move went, thanks

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Love, love, love this Italian family and Victorio has won my heart. I remember being one of those doting uncles when I first started working.

My brother and his wife had a boy and neither of them knew what to do. The first time I visited the poor little thing had been put down for the night but was crying. I ignored them completely and picked him up and sang to him as I finished giving him the last bottle. I must be boring as he fell asleep in my arms. Neither of them had a clue as I ended up teaching them how to hold, how to bathe and how to feed the poor little thing. One thing that did work was 'If in doubt sing a lullaby'. Not seen him for forty years now as my brother got divorced and we lost touch with the mother.

I can just picture Tony's mom and dad and how proud they would be. They say holding your own child is one of the greatest things you can do in life... I disagree. The greatest day of my life was holding my two hour old grand daughter and seeing her big lump of a father crying his eyes out as he took pictures for his daddy's bragging book.

Kev, you are blessed with good memories. Fill you head with these, they will crowd out the nasties. Having children and then having grandchildren is one of the joys of this world. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thanks for not abandoning us during your move. I know from multiple experiences, it's always a hassle...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Glad your move went well and taking the unpacking slow and easy! 

OMG, at the beginning when we skipped 2 years, I was thinking Tony was going to have his hands FULL if Brad and Tom moved away for teaching jobs. Then, along came Little Vic ... hell, even I've adopted him already! LOL!!! Honestly, I don't see the Uncles going anywhere anytime soon with short pants around to keep them entertained. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Congratulations are definitely in order, he is a welcome addition to the farm and family , he will be spoilt, but then all babies need that. Glad your move was successful

Thanks,. still unpacking which probably take another 3 months. It's amazing the amount of junk a person collects.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, IBEX said:

Thanks for not abandoning us during your move. I know from multiple experiences, it's always a hassle...

It is but I'll soon be on target

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Glad your move went well and taking the unpacking slow and easy! 

OMG, at the beginning when we skipped 2 years, I was thinking Tony was going to have his hands FULL if Brad and Tom moved away for teaching jobs. Then, along came Little Vic ... hell, even I've adopted him already! LOL!!! Honestly, I don't see the Uncles going anywhere anytime soon with short pants around to keep them entertained. :)

It is amazing what a bundle of joy can do. The 'uncles' will spoil that boy, but Amalia and Tony will be sure it is love they will spoil him  with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

 

Congratulations to the new mom and dad!!

Baby Smile GIF by My Babblings

Thanks, say Tony and Amalia

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..