Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,088 Words
  • 2,745 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 43. Chapter 43

Amalia and I sat in the living room with our coffee. “Mom, Dad, Frank needs you.”

I saw the tears in Vic’s eyes and knew that he had told Frank about his mother. Taking Amalia’s hand, we walked upstairs to Frank’s bedroom. Opening the door, he was sitting on his bed crying. When he looked up and saw us, he started to cry harder. Amalia when and sat beside him, pulling him into her. I sat on his other side and put my hand on his shoulder as he continues to cry.

I don’t think anyone could feel the hurt this boy felt. The only person in his life that gave him love will not be around much longer. Unless you had experienced this yourself, you had no idea of the hurt Frank was experiencing.

In a sobbing voice, “Can I see my mother?”

“Yes. I’ll take you tomorrow to see her.”

“What is going to happen to me?”

“You will stay here and become like a son to us. We will be your guardian and see that you grow up to a fine young man. Vic will be like a brother to you. We’ll see that you’ll make your mother proud of you. She will always be in your heart and your dreams.”

That night when my grandfathers and Nonna came to me, they could see into my heart. My Nonna kissed me on my cheek. Looking into the eyes of my ancestors, “Please make sure Frank’s mother visits him as you all visit me.” My grandfathers came and put their hands on my head. Somehow, I knew they were blessing me. I then knew Frank’s mother would visit him.

The following day after breakfast, Amalia and I took Frank to see his mother. Vic came along for support, so he said. Arriving at his mother’s room, Amalia took his hand and led him into the room. As soon as he saw his mother, he ran to her. Hugging her, he laid his head on her chest. Amalia left the room. She was crying.

I held her as she sobbed, Vic looked at me, and I could see the tears in his eyes. I reached for him and pulled him into our hug. Standing there, Frank came and said his mother wanted to see me. Amalia and Vic pulled Frank into a hug as I went to see Susan.

“Will you take care of my son?”

“Yes, I will treat him as if he was my son. He shall have a good home, and I’ll make sure he never forgets you. But to protect him, I need you to sign these papers that appoint us as his guardians.”

She took the papers and read through them. I handed her my pen, and she signed them. I called the nurse, and she witnessed the signature.

“Could you please send my son in?”

I nodded and left the room. Seeing Amalia, Vic, and Frank, I told Frank his mother wanted to see him. Amalia looked at me. And I mouthed the words, ‘not good.’

When Frank returned, “My mother said that until she gets better, you’ll be my family.” I knew that was Frank’s hopes he was expressing. No child wants to face up to the death of their mother or father. In time, he will be able to face reality, knowing he has someone to support him.

After school, I made it a practice that Amalia or I would take the boys to the hospital to allow Frank some time with his mother. Vic said they used the time to do their homework. His mother sleeps a lot.

Almost two weeks after we started to drive the boys to the hospital, Father called and said Frank’s mother had passed away. The hospital informed him as his phone number was listed as her priest.

I made arrangements to meet Father that afternoon, and we finished funeral arrangements for Susan. Father said the Church had a cemetery that could be used for the interment. I ordered a stone with her name and the message, A Loving Mother. I had arranged a stone seat to be placed in the front of the grave and a holder for flowers. “Father, I’ll make sure Frank gets to come here as often as he wants.”

I knew we would visit after Mass each Sunday.

Father handled the funeral, and I never want to attend another funeral when a child is involved. I cried when Frank looked at his mother and wanted her to wake up. Vic had his arm around his shoulder. I heard only apart of what he whispered to Frank. My son had become a man in my eyes after that.

The interment at the cemetery was difficult for me. I have been at funerals in the past, but adults always attended them. Children were never directly involved, as was the case with Frank. I gave him a bouquet, which he said was his mother’s favorite. When he placed them on the coffin, his tears dropped on the flowers. Vic went and again put his arm around him, drawing him onto his shoulder to cry upon.

The following Sunday, we took the carriage and drove to the cemetery. Vic and Frank had another bouquet for Susan.

Time heals all, so they say. But it doesn’t, I would look at Frank, and his eyes would glisten from tears whenever something was said, or he saw something that reminded him of his mother.

At night I would tell my visitors about Frank and his Mother, hoping they could reach her and have her visit him in his dreams. He needed to know that she was looking out for him from above.

Life has a way of pushing forward, even when you want to go back to yesterday instead of going into tomorrow. Frank lived his past through his remembrance when his mother was alive. We heard the expression, ‘my mom liked that’ or ’my mom made this’ whenever he saw something or tasted something his mother made. I expected this was natural.

One Sunday night, Amalia made chicken cacciatore for dinner. Frank tasted it, “My mother made this, but it didn’t taste like this.”

“Your mother made the American version, this is the Italian version.”

“I like this version.”

When Frank mentioned something that his mother made, Amalia would say that it was the American version and this was the Italian version. We began to hear, “I like this version” more and more.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 13
  • Sad 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Wow what a sad chapter. Amalia and Tony can never replace Frank's Mum, but he has a new and loving family.

It seems that life is like that, into each life some rain must fall. This was a hard chapter for me to write. I wanted to show Frank's feelings  representing a lot of children who are losing their parents due to Covid 19.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

This one was hard to read.  The tears were coming hard and fast.

 

We read so much about families being torn apart by the Covid 19 illness. Somehow, we are not as affected by adults losing a loved one, unless it is a child. I wanted to show what it would be liken for a child to lose a loved one. Frank's home life, being disowned by his grandfather  and now losing his mother. The hurt that boy has gone through could only be shown at the funeral.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

I read the other day that a commentator suggested the President move on from the 500,000 that'd died from Covid in the US. Frank losing his mom is just one and one will be the only one that matters to that individual, that family, those communities, this world! Each and every individual is precious to someone and their loss can never be replaced. Amalia and Tony will surround Frank in all the love they can but the loss of his mom will always be with him as loss is with too many currently. 

You are correct, each loss has someone to mourn that loss  and age isn't a factor. We all know that someday we must move one and normally we have time to prepare those who care for us. But a mother with a young child, how do you prepare the child? There isn't any thing you can do or say to a young child that you will be  leaving this life. And they ae the ones who are most devastated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

Hopefully Frank finds the closure he needs.

I wonder if there is ever closure. I have loss family and I still miss them at times. Frank will never forget his mother, he will come to understand why she died, but understanding doesn't replace the individual. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Kev said:

I was twelve when I faced what Frank had to face. It's stupid things I remember now; over forty years since that day and I still remember the film that was on TV the night before. Why? Because it was more important to a little boy than visiting the hospital. Dad had been telling us she'd be coming home, so it didn't seem anything.

The next day we went to visit and it was as if she wasn't there, she never even recognized me. I was laying next to her, clinging to her, she kept on asking where her baby was. In the end they took me out as It was breaking my heart. Minutes later and we were driving the forty miles back home. The phone was ringing as we walked in the house, it was the hospital. She had seemed to fall asleep after dad left her, when they went to wake her later she had gone. Dad, put the phone down and literally grabbed me by the neck and raised me up slide me along the wall. I was literally hanging there by the neck choking to death and he didn't care "Murderer!"

That's all he kept saying. Mum's dog attacked his leg and he dropped me. I just bolted for the door and ran, the dog following me. Hours later the mother of a friend from school found hiding at the end of the fields, hiding in the place us lads in my class called our den. I'd been wandering the fields for hours. Turned out my brother called all of the neighbours and they'd been out looking for me while the police talked to dad. I slept at my friends house that night and the police and the priest were with me when I eventually went home. As soon as I was 18 I left home.

Mum died of cancer that had been eating her since I'd been born... I know what poor Frank had been going through. Now memories are all he has and hopefully the love from Vic and his family. I've sat her in tears as all of the memories flooded back... very difficult read. Thank you.

I am sorry you had to go through what Frank experience. I wish I was there to be a friend to you as Vic is to Frank. You had nothing to do with your mother leaving this plane of existence and it was wrong for your father to behave the way he did. I think you are happy now, they say forgiveness releases the hate, I hope you have forgiven your father and shed that experience. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Just now, CLJobe said:

I am sorry you had to go through what Frank experience. I wish I was there to be a friend to you as Vic is to Frank. You had nothing to do with your mother leaving this plane of existence and it was wrong for your father to behave the way he did. I think you are happy now, they say forgiveness releases the hate, I hope you have forgiven your father and shed that experience. 

It was only twenty five years later when I had a complete nervous breakdown and started seeing a shrink for a few months that realization set in. I was able to accept the past, but also (more importantly) accept myself... that was when I came out. Wife didn't like it, but I finally was happy and I still am. Just old... now it's more regrets that haunt me. Wishes that things had happened differently. yet over forty years now and I still miss my mum everyday. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

A sad and emotional chapter, Frank is going to do well going forward, he will treasure memories but also make new ones, 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

It was only twenty five years later when I had a complete nervous breakdown and started seeing a shrink for a few months that realization set in. I was able to accept the past, but also (more importantly) accept myself... that was when I came out. Wife didn't like it, but I finally was happy and I still am. Just old... now it's more regrets that haunt me. Wishes that things had happened differently. yet over forty years now and I still miss my mum everyday. 

I am glad you are in a better place. Your mother must have felt a special love for you. I think she knew you needed that 'mother's love'. I was having a problem and I was dwelling on the past, 'only if I had done this' type of statements. He told me, 'you can't change the past, accept it and move on. You can change the future. focus on that.' I thought that was good advice.  I still think, at times, the what if questions. I think that is human nature too try and understand that which to us is illogical.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

A sad and emotional chapter, Frank is going to do well going forward, he will treasure memories but also make new ones, 

Yes, he has a support group and a good friend in Vic

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

Hold on Letting Go is one of charities that I support, it specialises in children’s bereavement support, it helps other kids to know that there are others like them who have lost a loved one, the kids are paired up with other kids that are close to their age where it’s been a bit longer since  they lost a family member or friend, they have residential workshops over a few weekends which gives the children some respite and a chance to be a child. 

Edited by Bft
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Bft said:

Hold on Letting Go is one of charities that I support, it specialises in children’s bereavement support, it helps other kids to know that there are others like them who have lost a loved one, the kids are paired up with other kids that are close to their age where it’s been a bit longer since  they lost a family member or friend, they have residential workshops over a few weekends which gives the children some respite and a chance to be a child. 

It is very traumatic for a child to lose a parent at a young age. Vic willl see that Frank is taken care of

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..