Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,083 Words
  • 2,805 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 34. Chapter 34

Arriving home, I was amused to see a sign posted over the gate, ‘Welcome Home, Mr. and Mrs. Graignano.’ “I wonder what surprises are waiting for us.”

“Whatever they are going to do, it’s better to get it over with.”

“Tradition says I need to carry you over the threshold.” I put the bags down, picking Amalia up we entered the house.

“It’s too quiet. Something is up.”

I took our bags to our bedroom. Coming back down the stairs, I heard whispers. Putting my finger to my lips, I let Amalia know that she needed to be quiet and listen.

Whispering, “Brad, there is the car. Where are they.”

“They must have gone upstairs to his room.”

I took Amalia’s hand and went back to our room. Using the chair, I went down to my office after I showed Amalia how to use it.

Waiting for her to join me, I listened at the door. Now it sounds like Amo has joined the group. Just as I was going to sneak up behind them, the door opened, and Mom and Dad entered.

The boys thinking it was Amalia and me, tossed rice at them. Then they realized it was Mom and Dad. “We thought it was Tony and Amalia.”

“Well, it wasn’t, and now you have to clean this up. Where are they? I saw the car outside.”

“We’re right here.” When I said that, it was apparent I took the boys by surprise. Then we all laughed as Mom gave Amalia and me a hug.

“I hope you made coffee.”

We headed to the kitchen, where we told everyone about our Hawaiian trip. Mom made a snack for us, and the boys started to tell about Amo and his goat. It turned out there were two goats that Dad and Charlie had bought.

By the next day, normality reigned. I went with the boys, checking out the horses, cow, rabbits, turkeys, and chickens, as well as Pa and Nona’s gardens. I didn’t need to check out the oats and cornfields. I did pick a bouquet from Nona’s flower garden for the dining room table and our bedroom.

Amo had to show me his goats. I think he treats them like pets. I also noted a small fenced-in area for them next to the paddock for the horses. Amo said that was for the goats.

“Tony, we can expand that area for the sheep.”

“Sheep! Who is going to take care of the Sheep? Besides feeding them and milking them, they have to be sheared in the fall.”

“I can do that.”

“Amo, you’ll be busy with school. You won’t have time to do that.”

“If I don’t have time, then we can sell them.”

“How about we wait until you start school and see how much time you have.” He thought that was a good idea. I knew if he had a problem, the boys and Charlie would pitch in. But that wouldn’t be fair for the boys. This will be their senior year, and they will need to spend their time studying.

Time seemed to fly. The boys and Amo were busy with the farm. They did take one camping trip and took Amo with them. Between Charlie and Dad, we managed for five days. And Tom was quick to point out I missed a few eggs.

We continued to supply the small food market. We took Amo on as staff, so now he gets a share of the profits as well. He was becoming comfortable with the boys and working on the farm.

Amo continued his English lesson, and I felt he would be ready for my University this fall. He needed to select a major, although his course work as a freshman was fairly straightforward except for seminars. I’m sure the boys will talk to him.

Amalia spent time in the library as well as taking care of the household duties. When she wasn’t cooking or cleaning, I would find her in the Library reading the journals. Sundays were spent at home with Mom and Dad or at their place. It seemed to be one time at our place and the next time at Mom and Dad’s. Every time Mom saw Amalia, she would surreptitiously check her stomach. I knew what she was hoping to see, but no bump. We decided we would wait a few years before we thought about children.

As we approached the start of school, we also started to prepare to harvest crops, make wine, sausage, and salami. This year I had two more hands to help. As the fruit on the fruit trees began to ripen, we started to can apples, pears, and plums. Amalia bought books on canning, and with Charlie and the boys’ help, she began canning the fruit. Mom would stop by randomly and help. She would take several jars home with her, and we were okay with that. I had to enlarge the shelves in the basement to hold all of the canned goods. Some of the vegetables we froze. I did buy another freezer, only this time it was a vertical unit.

The boys took some of the canned fruit to their apartment and, on occasion, a salami. I bought a small refrigerator for Charlie’s room. I told him to help himself with any of the food. He took a salami and some fruit as well. For the most part, everyone ate together in the dining room.

When you are busy and having fun, time seems to fly. I woke up and realized I needed to start preparing for freshman week. My preparation was routine now, and I utilized a lot of the material I had used previously. This was a godsend because I only had a little less than two weeks to prepare.

School started the last week in August. For me, life at the University returned to normal. Life at home wasn’t normal. The boys and Charlie had a routine they followed. Amo had to adjust to a farm schedule, milking the goats and helping the boys before breakfast. In the evening, there were farm chores to do, and he was expected to help.

Amalia had a house to care for and meals to prepare. Everyone helped as much as they could, but the burden of running the house fell on the shoulders of Amalia.

I was surprised at how fast routines were established and responsibilities accepted. I had a smooth-running household and farm.

I'll be moving over he next few days, so I'll not be able to update. Once Im settled in my new home., I'll be posting again.
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. Everything is running smoothly with the house and farm.

Good luck with the move, hope it goes smoothly.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter,so the farm is running like a well oiled machine, Amalia is getting the house like she wants it. Good luck with the move 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am getting a great deal of pleasure reading about Tony, his friends and family, and the farm! I bet he never imagined things would have turned out like they have. Just shows what hard work and support can accomplish.  I hope things go smoothly for your move! I'll be waiting patiently for the next chapter. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Poor sheep, just as it starts to get cold you remove their coats? Don't you shear them in spring not fall? 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 5:58 PM, weinerdog said:

It's cool to see Amo being buddies with the boys as well as like brothers in some cases better than brothers but no sheep too much.

Best of luck with your move

Yes, no sheep. Absolutely. I am still "in the move" phase. I am now living in an independent home and to go from a small home to an even smaller home, I'm still unpacking.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 5:59 PM, drsawzall said:

Good luck with your move and we will be waiting patiently, thanks!!

Thanks, I'll be back shortly

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, Kev said:

Everything seems to be falling into place quite nicely and everyone knows what to do, I do wonder when Tony is going to get chance to read those journals and discover the truth. Typical mum though, next she'll be asking if there's a problem with the plumbing.

Don't tell us, you are moving in to look after Tony and Amalia since the boys are so busy...😎 Best of luck with the move, I'll miss ya.

I would love to move in with Tony, Amalia and the boys. Unfortunately,. that isn't possible.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 6:30 PM, Chris L said:

Sounds like Amalia has a HUGE house to take care of and CLJ will be moving into a new pad over the next few days! WooHoo, things they are a changing! Enjoy everyone and have a GREAT weekend! 

She has 6 bedrooms and even though no one may occupy them, they still need freahing up. I think the boys will help a little.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

On 3/5/2021 at 6:36 PM, Gomez Stanley C said:

Good luck with the move!  

 

Thanks. Moving is a three phase job. Phase one - packing, phase two - actual move and phase three- unpacking. Then where is this, where did this come roman, I don't need this, this place is much smaller I'll have too get rid of this. It asked twice as long to find places for your 'stuff' then it did when you packed it. Absolutely last move for me.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 6:40 PM, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Everything is running smoothly with the house and farm.

Good luck with the move, hope it goes smoothly.

Thanks Chris, I'll be back posting in a few days

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 3/5/2021 at 9:03 PM, mikedup said:

Great chapter,so the farm is running like a well oiled machine, Amalia is getting the house like she wants it. Good luck with the move 

Thanks. In life there is no such thing as a smooth run, there is always something that likes to throw a wrench in the works.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 3/6/2021 at 2:59 AM, JeffreyL said:

I am getting a great deal of pleasure reading about Tony, his friends and family, and the farm! I bet he never imagined things would have turned out like they have. Just shows what hard work and support can accomplish.  I hope things go smoothly for your move! I'll be waiting patiently for the next chapter. Thanks. 

Thanks. Have you known anything to run smooth for a long period of time? I haven't something happens that provides a new challenge or upsets the apple cart.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 3/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, mfa607 said:

Great chapter and a fun welcome home!  Good luck on a smooth move!

Thanks, I think there is a side to Tony we haven't seen

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 3/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, mfa607 said:

Great chapter and a fun welcome home!  Good luck on a smooth move!

Thanks. I'll be back to posting soon.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 3/6/2021 at 6:01 PM, Paqman said:

Poor sheep, just as it starts to get cold you remove their coats? Don't you shear them in spring not fall? 🙂

That is a good question. I wonder why do they. shear them in the fall. Now you  have raised my curiosity and I'll have find out the answer. When I do, I'll let you know. Iff you kn ow the answer, enlighten me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

That is a good question. I wonder why do they. shear them in the fall. Now you  have raised my curiosity and I'll have find out the answer. When I do, I'll let you know. Iff you kn ow the answer, enlighten me.

"People are understandably concerned about winter, and they should know that it takes sheep about six weeks to grow more than enough wool to stay warm in the winter. The deep cold comes in January or February, so an animal shorn this weekend will be ready for the winter in late November.Oct 4, 2016 Bedlam Farms"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Chris L said:

"People are understandably concerned about winter, and they should know that it takes sheep about six weeks to grow more than enough wool to stay warm in the winter. The deep cold comes in January or February, so an animal shorn this weekend will be ready for the winter in late November.Oct 4, 2016 Bedlam Farms"

Thanks Chris. I'm not familiar with raising sheep, chickens yes, sheep no.  I have learned something new today.  You are never too old to learn 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Bft said:

I hope that you are happy in your new home 🏠 

I am, and they are

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..