Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,285 Words
  • 3,617 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 17. Chapter 17

The next morning Tom gave me a drawing and a bill of materials for the shed. “We need to see what kind of furnace we can buy. From that, we’ll know what size shed will need,” Tom left.

That evening, Tom had photos of several types of propane furnaces. “Brad and I think this size would be big enough. You won’t need to keep the barn as warm as a house. You just need to keep the chill out. The horse blankets will provide the additional warmth the horses need. You will need a bigger feed box with the other two horses, or you’ll have to replenish it more often. I’ll make a list of what we will need.”

I watched Tom and Brad as Tom showed me what they discussed. I was getting the feeling that the boys were beginning to think of this place as home. And surprisingly, I was okay with that.

I agreed to Tom’s design, ordered the wood, agreed to where they wanted to build the shed. I suggested one more addition, “When we dig the hole to bury the propane tank, we need to make it large enough to bury a water tank. Mom said that spring runs all year. We could put a pump in there and pump the water to the tank.” I didn’t need to say anymore. By the look on the boys’ faces, they understood.

Dad brought his tractor over, and the boys started to dig the holes for the propane tank and water tank. After the first day of digging, it was obvious that we wouldn’t have that done before they had to leave for their Christmas break. I called a local contractor, told him what I wanted. By the end of the week, he had the holes finished and a dirt road to the barn. I didn’t want the gardens destroyed, so we agreed to have the road just to the left of the garages. I bought a shed, and the boys set it in place. I purchased a propane furnace, and Charlie helped them to install it.

By the time the boys were ready to leave, the other two horses had arrived, the barn was heated, and the water tank was filled with water, an old fashion water pump was installed on the water tank.

On the day before they were to leave, we took a carriage ride through town. The horses acted like they were on parade. I guess they thought we were part of the circus. We rode past the University, and the boys waved at them, some they knew from class.

Back home, we backed the carriage into the garage. The horses were taken to the barn, brushed, oat, and water buckets filled. With four horses and Charlie helping, we finished quickly. I was becoming quite fond of these animals.

In the morning, after breakfast, everyone left. The house seemed empty. I went to visit Mom and Dad.

Over dinner, I told Mom and Dad about the gold coins in the safe. Dad said he knew a coin collector, and if I wanted, he would pass the word. I wanted to know the value of those coins, so I agreed to meet with this man. I suggested meeting this coming Saturday or Sunday. Dad felt Sunday would be best.

That evening at home, I took out one gold coin from the safe, placed it in an envelope, and put the envelope in the desk’s secret drawer. Sitting at the desk, I could open that drawer without anyone knowing about that particular drawer. My grandfathers were clever men.

The following Sunday, I had two surprises. Mom and Dad came for dinner. As usual, they brought a friend, who Dad said was a coin collector. We went to my office, where after opening the drawer, I showed him the coin. I watched as he took the coin, hefted in his hand, I assumed judging the weight. Look at it through a magnifying glass, “May I ask how you were able to obtain such a coin?”

“I inherited the coin from my great-grandfather. That’s his picture on that painting. That coin has been in my family for several generations.”

Looking at the picture, I made sure he saw my ring as well. “If you decide to sell this coin, I’ll offer you 2000 dollars.”

I must have looked shocked. What he didn’t know I had several more of those coins in the safe. Roughly at that value, I had almost a million dollars. “If I decide to sell that coin, I’ll give you the first option.”

He smiled. I invited him to stay for dinner, he politely refused, giving me his card, he left. When I walked into the kitchen, Dad asked me how it went.

“He offered to buy the coin for 2000 dollars.”

“Did you sell it?”

“No, but if I do, I told him I would give him the first option to purchase the coin.”

We had just sat down to eat when the boys walked in. “What happened?”

Mom, being mom, immediately set two plates on the table. The boys sat down. I noticed tears in their eyes. “Tell me”

“There was a party for all of the kids that graduated with us who were home for the holidays. The evening before, Tom and I exchanged rings. At the party, one of our close friends knew that Tom and I were boyfriends came up to us. He was feeling no pain, loudly said, ‘Well, it’s about time you two got married.’ We hadn’t got married. These are friendship rings, being drunk and knowing about us, he just made the assumption we got married. The word got back to my dad. We packed and left.”

“You’re home now, the eggs need to be collected, and the horses need a brushing. You can do that after eating.” That wasn’t true, Dad had collected the eggs, and we brushed the horses this morning. I wanted to convey that they are home and everything is okay.

Tom gets up, collects a bowl. Mom looks, “Where are you going?”

“Collect eggs”

We all started to laugh, and the boys were home. Tom sat back down, and it was dinner as usual.

Dad asked about the wine, “We can go and test it, but I doubt it is finished fermenting.”

After dinner, Dad and I went to check. He wasn’t interested in the wine, “What happened?”

I knew what he meant, “Dad, the boys are gay. They have been together since high school. Brad’s father is what we call homophobic, and he hates gays. Someone must have told him. He probably accused the boys and threw Brad out of the house. Those boys are okay, they work hard, and I don’t think I could have accomplished as much as I have if it wasn’t for their help.”

“How long have you known?”

“From the first day, they showed up to repair the barn. They are good boys. What they do in their bedroom is their business. They pitch in here, they’ll do anything I ask. In my class, they are doing well. I have come to accept them as friends. I have no problems with people who are gay, I’m not, and I’m comfortable around them.”

I looked into Dad’s eyes as I said that. I saw the shine, and I relished the hug I got. I knew how he felt; I smiled. “Do you want to taste the wine?”

Laughing, “No, but show me how you know it isn’t ready.” I did.

The rest of the evening, Dad, the boys, and I talked about the garden. Well, they talked, I listened.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

27 minutes ago, Kev said:

Dads? Who'd have them? Tell him I know how he feels. Terribly sad. I love Tony's dad, now that he knows what happened he's going make sure that he becomes the boy's dad. I would offer him mine, but no one would have wanted a dad like mine. 

I love the sound of those horses and would love a ride in that carriage. I can just see peoples faces at the uni as they rode passed. 

Terribly sad, but awesome chapter as usual.

I could never treat my son as Brad and Tom's dad did. Obviously there are bad fathers in our world. Fathers that should never be a father.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

It's often said we can't choose our family but in certain circumstances I believe one can. Family isn't about blood relations, family is about the unconditional love, trust, and caring for one another. Last week, celebrated 6 months with the most amazing man who I've ever met and my family (not blood relation) has embraced him deeply with all the love, trust, and caring that they have embraced me with. I believe Tony and his blood family have done the same for Brad and Tom along with Charlie. So very heartwarming! ❤️

  • Like 5
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, Chris L said:

It's often said we can't choose our family but in certain circumstances I believe one can. Family isn't about blood relations, family is about the unconditional love, trust, and caring for one another. Last week, celebrated 6 months with the most amazing man who I've ever met and my family (not blood relation) has embraced him deeply with all the love, trust, and caring that they have embraced me with. I believe Tony and his blood family have done the same for Brad and Tom along with Charlie. So very heartwarming! ❤️

I think there are a lot of people who have a close, loving family. Brad, Tom and Charlie have found a home where they can live in a loving relationship with those around them. You are a fortunate man, to find such a loving relationship. Say your prayers, tonight 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

There's no understanding self-loathing bigots, none whatsoever!!

I would get a second opinion on he coins, perhaps visit a coin shop!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

There's no understanding self-loathing bigots, none whatsoever!!

I would get a second opinion on he coins, perhaps visit a coin shop!

Yes, one wonders where are that hatred comes from. Sometimes they are angry about something that has no relation to the brunt of that hatred. I always felt those people had a low opinion of themselves. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Drsawzall mentioned bigots in his remarks, I believe that bigotry stems from fear. The father who kicks his child out of the home because the boy is gay may be afraid of a slight tendncy on his own part to walk on the other side of the river and is unable to face his own inclinations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/6/2021 at 1:39 PM, Will Hawkins said:

Drsawzall mentioned bigots in his remarks, I believe that bigotry stems from fear. The father who kicks his child out of the home because the boy is gay may be afraid of a slight tendncy on his own part to walk on the other side of the river and is unable to face his own inclinations.

That is a fairly accurate deduction. I agree that it is usually the father who kicks the son out. Embarrassment, having his macho attitude being challenged or afraid of remarks being made from friends and co-workers. It doesn't matter what the excuses are, it should never happen.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, CLJobe said:

I imagine they go to one of those churches that overly preach of the sins of the world. Farmers are usually very conservative people and very superstitious as well they pray for rain, and if it is a bad crop, they needed to repent.

Oh good grief 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bft said:

Oh good grief 

ThAt referred to the boy's parents. Knowing their background, you could understand why the boys left.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..