Jump to content
Filter Bug on Stories Causes Wide Screen on Mobile
  • Members Can Sign Up For Content Notifications

    Do you want to be automatically notified of updates to your favorite content?  Join now for free and follow your favorite stuff!

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 747 Words
  • 1,092 Views
  • 26 Comments

The Home - 5. Chapter 5

Two weeks after I posted the sign at the grocers, two guys knocked on my door.

“We saw your sign, and we think we can repair your barn.”

“Do you have any experience?”

“Yes, my name is Brad, and I grew up on a farm. This is Tom, and we were neighbors back home. Both of us grew up on farms.”

So I had two farm boys, “I’m Doctor Antonio Carignano, I teach history at the University.”

On my Italian passport, my name is Antonio Viccinto Manila di Carignano. On my birth certificate, my name is Antonio Viccinto Manila. My mother’s last name is Carignano before she married my dad. In some countries, the mother’s maiden is added to show lineage. People assumed my last name was Carignano, I didn’t argue, and all of my degrees from the Universities show that as my last name. Pa laughed when I showed him that.

“Yes, we’ll be in your class this coming semester.”

“Is this your first year at the University?”

“Yes, we took advanced classes in high school, which helped us to enroll at the University.”

“I look forward to having you both in my class. When we are here, please call me Tony, but at the University, I would prefer to be called Doctor Carignano.”

The boys smiled while shaking my hand. “You have a barn that needs repairs?”

“Yes, follow me.” I led them out to the barn, and we had to pass the garden. I noticed the boys looking. “This garden was my grandfather’s project. Since he has died, it needs to be resurrected. It was a nice garden, but now most of the plants have died from neglect. I want to replant it to get it back to looking like it did a few years ago. My dad and I fertilized and tilled the ground. Here’s the barn.”

I watched as the boys looked around. “This barn once had horses.”

“Yes, how can you tell?”

“We have horses on our farms. The stalls and the smells are the same.”

“Why don’t you look around. Once you have done that, come to the kitchen, and we can discuss your plan.” While I waited, I made coffee. I just poured myself a cup when they walked in.

“We looked the barn over. The roof needs repair, and I would suggest a new roof. The inside is dirty, but that can be cleaned up. The moldy straw needs to be disposed of, and you could use it for the garden. If you do, best to put it down before winter. The stalls are in good shape. May we ask why you need to fix up the barn?”

“Yes, here, take a cup of coffee and follow me.” I watched as they poured themselves a cup of coffee.

Walking toward the garage, “I think once you see what’s in this garage, you’ll know exactly why I want the barn repaired.”

I opened the door. What do you think they looked at, the carriage, no, the Olds. “Wow, that’s an old car. Does it run?”

“No, I was thinking of hooking it up to the horses and have it pulled around.” I was a little sarcastic, I know.

Then Brad spotted the carriage, “That’s why you need horses. That’s a beautiful carriage. Look, Tom, it would take four horses to move this carriage. That’s why you want the barn repaired.”

“Yes, I want to use this carriage in parades. Once I have the barn repaired, I’ll see about buying the horses.”

“May I asked about the cars?”

“Yes, the Olds was my great grandfather’s, the sedan was my grandfather’s. I want to get the sedan checked out so I can drive it.”

“What about the Olds?”

“That’s an antique and would require a special person to work on it. Someone would have to be able to restore antique autos.”

“Dave, how about Charlie? He fixed up that 1890 tractor. I’ll bet he can get that Olds running.”

“And where is this Charlie?”

“He’s back home. I’ll give him a call and see if he’s interested.”

“Okay, about the barn?”

“I’ll go back and take some notes, and then I’ll check out what we need and the price of the supplies. How does next Saturday sound? I’ll give you a proposal, including labor.”

“That will be fine.”

A few hours later, I watched from the door as they held hands, walking to their car. I smiled to myself.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Awesome chapter..., love farm boys.

I remember visiting my uncles farm as a little boy and a calf suckling in my thumb... It was funny because mum screamed thinking it was biting me. I normally would never remember it as I was only 3 or 4 but granddad was a live at the time (died when I was 5) and had one of those old cine-cameras... took films of everything! Then my brother got married and his wife got her hands on the old films and totally destroyed them by loading them all wring destroying the holes along the edges. It was embarrassing because that film had to come out whenever we had friends round.

I hope these guys are legit, bit worrying about the tractor and the timing but I guess even them they would have had some form of plough / tractor  to work the land. Still loving the story.

  • Like 4
  • I Read It 1
Link to comment

Would love to know more about the carriage and the car, as mentioned earlier, the tractor would have to date from the 1910's on up

  • Like 3
  • I Read It 1
Link to comment

Have we found a couple for the Apartment? Or maybe it will be Charlie.

I definitely remember mention of the barn and carriage in Chapter 4. The whole Home is like a flower. Each petal that opens reveals something new. This Home/Flower just happens to have quite a few petals i.e. can't wait until Antonio has a further look in the safe, uncovers any other hidden treasures, etc.

The date of the tractor went straight over my head. I just thought, "So Charlie can fix old vehicles". If I thought about it I guess I would have realised. Looked on google and saw that the first tractor wasn't until 1889.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. It's seems Tony has found himself his farm boys in Brad and Tom.

Yes now he will see them working on the barn and in class. I don't think Tony knows what he is in for with these boys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mrbossmant said:

Nice chapter but I get the feeling I'm missing a chapter or paragraph because I can't remember anything about a carriage or a barn.

Anyway looking forward to the next chapter 

A previous chapter spoke about Tony taking a walk to the barn. Which led him to posting the help wanted ad. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Now did Brad and Tony apply for college first and then saw Tony's ad or did they see the ad first THEN took his class pretty clever if they did.

I may be showing ignorance here or I misunderstood. When Brad and Tom mentioned their friend Charlie fixed a 1850 tractor I didn't know they had tractors then what kind of technology was it? Or did you mean 1950?

They enrolled in college first. The tractors at that time were in the imagination of the author. A little white fiction , if you understand. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I think that the two of the farm could end up moving in interesting times

Have you read this story before?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Awesome chapter! Seems to have found a couple that can help!

Yes, I think they will be friends

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

Awesome chapter..., love farm boys.

I remember visiting my uncles farm as a little boy and a calf suckling in my thumb... It was funny because mum screamed thinking it was biting me. I normally would never remember it as I was only 3 or 4 but granddad was a live at the time (died when I was 5) and had one of those old cine-cameras... took films of everything! Then my brother got married and his wife got her hands on the old films and totally destroyed them by loading them all wring destroying the holes along the edges. It was embarrassing because that film had to come out whenever we had friends round.

I hope these guys are legit, bit worrying about the tractor and the timing but I guess even them they would have had some form of plough / tractor  to work the land. Still loving the story.

I had one of those in the 50's. We laughed at the movies we made. I don't know where they are today. Probably destroyed along the way

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Would love to know more about the carriage and the car, as mentioned earlier, the tractor would have to date from the 1910's on up

Yes, the tractor was introduced so I could introduce Charle as I needed someone to repair the cars. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

Have we found a couple for the Apartment? Or maybe it will be Charlie.

I definitely remember mention of the barn and carriage in Chapter 4. The whole Home is like a flower. Each petal that opens reveals something new. This Home/Flower just happens to have quite a few petals i.e. can't wait until Antonio has a further look in the safe, uncovers any other hidden treasures, etc.

The date of the tractor went straight over my head. I just thought, "So Charlie can fix old vehicles". If I thought about it I guess I would have realised. Looked on google and saw that the first tractor wasn't until 1889.

Thanks, I'll remember that and correct my story. It's great to have someone to check facts for me. Want the Job? Doesn't pay anhythging except my gratitude and thanks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

A previous chapter spoke about Tony taking a walk to the barn. Which led him to posting the help wanted ad. 

My Bad I seem to have completely missed chapter 4 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, mrbossmant said:

My Bad I seem to have completely missed chapter 4 

No problem. The one thing about GA is you can go back and read previous chapters and previous stories

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

Thanks, I'll remember that and correct my story. It's great to have someone to check facts for me. Want the Job? Doesn't pay anhythging except my gratitude and thanks.

Nah thanks. I checked for me and only because it was mentioned in other comments. I didn't care about the date cause it didn't negate my enjoyment of the chapter. That was the point I was trying, and maybe failing, to get across.

Thanks for the offer though.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Buz said:

Nah thanks. I checked for me and only because it was mentioned in other comments. I didn't care about the date cause it didn't negate my enjoyment of the chapter. That was the point I was trying, and maybe failing, to get across.

Thanks for the offer though.

I made the offer in jest, although when any of my readers correct a fact or point out an error in my stating of a fact, I appreciate it and correct it. So thanks for the date on tractors. I did go back and edited that date. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Have you read this story before?

No it just seems that the two boys just want to be there. It is almost like home

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mikedup said:

No it just seems that the two boys just want to be there. It is almost like home

Yes, they are farm boys and will attach themselves to Tony because of that. I wonder if Tony knows what he is in for with the Farm Boys

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Two farm boys walking off holding hands, eh? Looks like Eros has raised his head. Well, at least the apartment will be well used.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..