Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,181 Words
  • 1,536 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 34. Dwight Snowden - Prompt 415

Dwight woke up and is having a really odd day. For some unknown reason everything seems really familiar but for the life of him he doesn't know why. Ever have deja vu?

My life has been a bit crazy lately. I really have been working far too hard and am in need of a vacation. To prove it, I think I might be losing my mind.

It all began when I woke up this morning. Max was actually sitting at my side, happy to see me. Usually, I trip over Max as I make my way to the bathroom. He won’t get up ‘til he hears me pouring his dog food into his dish. Then he moseys out, eats, and wants out into the back yard so he can do his business before I have to run for work. That wasn’t this morning.

He was at my side the whole time, followed me into the bathroom, watched me shower, the whole bit. I feed him and then let him out. Then things got freaky as all these birds seemed to be sitting in the trees singing sweetly when I opened the door. Heck, even the squirrels and rabbits seemed to be sitting there watching me as I stood there waiting for Max to come back in.

I ate quickly and grabbed my suitcase. I am really lucky. I work just on the other side of the woods. I can walk around it and it takes about forty minutes, or I can take the trail and be to work in about twenty minutes. It is my daily workout, and I do this unless the heat and humidity has become unbearable. Lucky for me it wasn’t even sixty degrees out. I filled Max’s bowl with water and headed for the trail.

Normally, when I walk the trail it is nice and cool and I have time to think about the various things I need to complete at work. Today there seemed to be a wind that came out of nowhere. The trees swayed and branches seemed to almost reach for me. I got my jacket caught at one point and I swear I could almost make out faces in the darkened woods. It was sort of freaky and just as I was feeling a bit nervous. I nearly fell coming out of the woods and onto the sidewalk, just across the street from my job, Diamond Financing.

I did end up tearing a hole in pants. So instead a the nice blue suit I had planned on wearing, I was forced to slip into an old pair of yellow dress pants that I had in the back of the closet in my office. I swear it was strange wearing yellow and blue like that but no one seemed to notice. It was also one of those days where every time I had a problem, well one of the seven bosses seemed to be there. They were really nice men, gave great advice, and were really looking out for those who worked for them.

“You need to be careful with these figures, Dwight, they can make or break this presentation,” Mr. Pey explained to me. Mr. Pey was really very sweet, bald and barely ever said anything. The fact he stopped to explain the project and the part I was working on meant a lot to me.

“Dennis Oscar Pey would you stop gabbing and get over here,” demanded Mr. Rump. “We have a meeting upstairs. I’m sure Dwight can figure out how to stay out of trouble. He has an office and seems competent. I mean, even if he doesn’t wear a tie to work today!”

Mr. Greg Rump was never one to mince words. He was sort of gruff and all, but really didn’t seem to mean any harm.

Naturally, having pointed out I was missing a tie I went looking. Don’t you know I didn’t have a spare in my office? On my break I ran downstairs and sure enough there were people hawking all sorts of stuff on the street outside. I managed to find this kindly old man who seemed sort of familiar selling ties. I bought it and raced upstairs putting it on. Normally I don’t have much trouble with things but I guess I must have been nervous and tightened it too much. I remember feeling light headed and the next thing I knew I had Doc Glasses standing over me. He was the oldest of the owners and he was the one who ripped my tie off and got me breathing again.

“Geez, Dwight. Don’t you know how to tie your tie correctly?” He smiled and shook his head at me.

I just nodded sheepishly and put it back in my bottom drawer.

The rest of the day went rather fast and the owners seemed to seek me out and all of them warned me to be careful going home. They all seemed upset by how I had nearly chocked myself with my tie.

I headed down stairs and really didn’t feel like trying to go through the woods again. I slowly made my way around and found an older gentleman who had taken a spill. I rushed over and helped him up. He had been carrying groceries and I picked them up and helped him repack them.

“Thank you so much. It isn’t often you find today’s youth willing to help the elderly.”

“No problem.” I could feel myself blush as I handed him back the last piece of food, an apple.

“I appreciate your help, young man. Why don’t you keep the apple as a thank you?”

“I couldn’t do that to you.” I held out the apple to him, but he shook his head and held up his hand.

“It is the least an old man can do for the help.

“I thank you very much then.”

I watched him slowly walk across the street and head into one of the old brownstones along the avenue and headed toward home myself.

The apple really did look good and red. My stomach grumbled. I hadn’t had much to eat today because I ended up buying the tie that I couldn’t even wear. I still had a good fifteen minutes ‘til I would be home so I took a big bite and that is the last thing I remember until I woke up in the hospital.

“Whoa there.”

I felt a hand on my chest and looked up into the bluest eyes I’ve ever seen. “What’s wrong?”

“You were brought in here unconscious a little while ago. I found a piece of apple lodged in your throat. I want to check you out before you go anywhere.”

I felt totally confused.

“Do you know who you are?” The doctor asked as he looked at me again.

“I’m Dwight Snowden. Who are you?”

The doctor smiled and winked at me. “Charles Prince. Charming to meet you Mr. Snowden.”

As I sat back watching the hunky doctor take my vitals I couldn’t help but feel a sense of déjà vu but for the life of me I don’t know why. Maybe I am losing my mind, but I wouldn’t mind getting to know my doctor better either.

So that is my take on prompt 415 which asked - It has been the strangest day. Since you got up birds have been singing, animals followed you around, and the woods on the way to work seemed almost threatening. It seemed whenever you turned around with an issue today, one of seven men were there to lend you a hand. On your way home you helped this little old man across the road and he gave you the reddest apple you have ever seen. This all seems strangely familiar, but right now you just want a nice big bite of that apple. What happens?
So what did you think? Thanks for reading. Always appreciate the comments.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Nice take on the prompt. I loved how you incorporated the different elements of Snow White into the story. I enjoyed it. :)

Link to comment
On 07/21/2015 12:08 PM, Valkyrie said:

Nice take on the prompt. I loved how you incorporated the different elements of Snow White into the story. I enjoyed it. :)

I'm glad you got the elements, Val. I was hoping it wasn't too much. Thanks for the review.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..