Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,340 Words
  • 1,021 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 43. Prompt 570 - Office Encounter

Use the following words in a story – an obnoxious customer, a computer, a school bus, a sandwich, and a yellow couch.

Bobby sat at his desk looking out the window of the office trying to decide exactly what he wanted to do this weekend. He took a bite of his chicken sandwich and sighed. This was the last weekend before his vacation. That long awaited time off would begin on Wednesday and last for eleven glorious days. It looked like he was going to end up going on vacation alone again, since his friend Chip started dating some woman half his age, and Marguerite was breaking up with her girlfriend, again. Maybe a getaway to the country and away from the city’s hustle and bustle would help.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Bobby looked up as the bell tinkled and a tall thin blonde woman in a tight gold dress strutted in wearing extremely high heels.

“Where is the manager? I demand to see the manager, now!” The woman screeched as she marched over to the counter.

Bobby sighed, stood up, smiled, and approached the counter. “Good afternoon, Ma’am. I’m sorry, but Mister Goldberg is on his lunch break. May I be of assistance?”

“Well how long will he be .. on lunch?” She sneered across the counter.

“Well, you did just miss him leaving. He has an hour for lunch.” Bobby paused as he watched the woman’s face turn red. “If you like I can take your information so he can call you when he gets back, or if you prefer you may have a seat and wait for his return?”

Bobby watched her grab the counter.

Ding, Ding, Ding! The bell rang out again, this time an older lady in a bright purple and green dress walked in.

“I’ll be with you shortly, Ma’am. Please have a seat. If you’d like coffee or tea, there are pots in the corner. Help yourself,” Bobby announced to the new customer.

“Thanks love. Coffee always get the old brain cells working,” said the pleasant lady as she slowly walked over towards the coffee pot.

“Remember me?” Demanded the first customer. “I should have you fired. You don’t help someone else ‘til you are finished with me!”

Bobby nodded at her. “I’m sorry. How can I help you?”

The woman set her small purse on the counter, and began pulling sheet after sheet out of her purse. “If the manager isn’t here you’ll have to do. I ordered tickets to the Island Tenors show. Front row of course, with the meet and greet of course.”

Bobby was surprised so small a bag could hold so much garbage. At least now he had an idea what she was on about. While she sorted through the mess, he fired up the computer.

“Ahh!” The second customer had sat down on the bright yellow couch, and took a sip from whatever she had poured.

Bobby smiled as she waved to him and mouthed “obnoxious” and pointed to the other customer.

“Anyway, my daughter has decided she doesn’t want to go and I want my money back. Damn, I know I have them in here somewhere,” She never once looked up as she continued to rattle things off to Bobby.

“What name were the tickets bought under and when is the performance, Ma’am?” Bobby asked as her pulled up the ticket program.

“Dolores Ambrose, and the show is in … four hours.”

Bobby pulled up the information, walked over to the file, and pulled out one of the copies that had been made for the sale of the tickets, and held the electronic signature of one Dolores Ambrose. “I’ve found the information here. Two non-refundable tickets for the meet and greet. You have already received the sign copy of their cd, and the signed playbill.” He made a quick copy on the office copy machine, walked over to the counter, and handed the copy to Dolores. “As you can see there will be no refunds, and you agreed to that when you signed this contract four months ago, Ma’am.”

Dolores turned beat red and began stuffing everything back into her purse. “I’ll be calling the manager and my lawyer. I will get my money back. Those were gifts your manager gave me for buying those worthless tickets from him. I’ll have you fired!”

Bobby watched as she stormed out, pushed on the door, and became flustered when she realized she needed to pull, not push on the door. As she went to leave the bell rang out again, which scared her, and she dropped her open purse. Papers went everywhere as she screamed, demanding people help her get her papers.

“That broad was some piece of work.”

Bobby turned to find the other customer shaking her head as she watched the first race down the street after some paper that was floating down the block.

“I’m sorry to keep you waiting.” Bobby smiled as he watched the woman slide off the couch.

“Sorry, my legs don’t work like they used to.” She carefully made her over to the counter. “I promise I won’t need a refund. My name Kathleen Steward. I read about your deluxe show packages.”

Bobby smiled, and grabbed three different flyers from under the counter. “It is nice to meet you Mrs. Steward. I’m Bobby Shetfield. Which package were you interested in?”

Kathleen giggled. “I feel like a school girl. I’d like to book the deluxe Broadway show.”

“Oh, very nice. Which show did you want to see?”

Kathleen leaned in. “Either Lion King or Hello Dolly. Whichever, you can get tickets to.”

Bobby began to type away. “How many tickets do you need and when would you like to go?”

“There will be two of us. I’m surprising my grandson. As for when, um, say a month from now, they have a break from school.”

Bobby looked at the counter where the next three months were clearly laid out for easy access. The vacation time made sense.

“During the week or the weekend?”

“Can you get tickets during the week? That would be wonderful if you can.”

“Can I see your license, please. That way I can figure out the limo cost.”

Kathleen handed it over and asked a question as well. “Can the restaurant be an Italian one? Frankie loves Italian food.”

Bobby nodded happily. These were the kind of encounters he loved.

“I can get you a Thursday matinee. I can arrange a backstage tour, you’ll have the limo ride, dinner at a local restaurant, and the ride home. Because it is not the weekend and you are doing the early show,” Bobby paused and the crunched a few numbers before he continued. “I know the deluxe package for two said it starts at a thousand in the brochure, but I can do this for you for five hundred and forty three dollars .”

Kathleen’s eyes opened wide and she took a big gulp of air. “Really? You’re sure?”

“Absolutely.”

Kathleen smiled brightly. “Here is my credit card. Let me sign before you change your mind.”

Bobby laughed and printed everything up. “Do you want to pick up the tickets from here, have them sent to you, or held at the box office?”

“Mail them to me. I can surprise Frank when he gets off the school bus.”

“How old is your grandson?” Bobby asked, realizing he should have thought to ask earlier.

“He is eleven. His birthday is at the end of the month. I’ve been saving for a year for this. It is all he wanted last year, but we couldn’t afford it. You’ve made it possible to get him something else too.” Tears formed at the corners of her eyes. “That other lady was wrong. You deserve a raise.”

Bobby tried not to cry as he slipped Kathleen’s paperwork into a folder and handed it to her. “You have a good day, Ma’am.”

“You too,” Kathleen called out as she exited the office and the bell tinkled her leaving.

Bobby smiled and couldn’t wait to tell his manager all about his office encounters while he was on lunch.

So that is my take on the prompt. Comments are always welcome.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:45 AM, Timothy M. said:

Loved this. He rebuffed the obnoxious customer and rewarded the nice lady. :great:

Mom always said you catch more flies with honey, than vinegar. If you treat the person behind the counter like dirt, they aren't going to go out of their way to help you. Glad you enjoyed the story Tim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:05 AM, Daddydavek said:

Well done!  I especially liked the vignette with the grandmother.

In some respects this was like a day at work. If you are honest and willing to listen to suggestions, it can save you a lot of money. Argue and you are on your own. Thanks for the comments Dad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..