Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 554 Words
  • 2,097 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 17. Dan's Problem - Prompt 340

Dan has been having health issues and has finally agreed to go for the test. When he sees the MRI machine all hell breaks loose. Will he get the test he needs or not?

“There is no way I am going in there!” Daniel stood with his arms crossed shooting deadly looks at the rest of us.

“For Christ’s sake, you need the cat scan. There is no way for them to find out what is going on unless they do the tests.” Barry shot back. “I know you don’t like tight places but they need the test.”

Dan just stood there, an immovable object.

“Hey they told you that you could go for the open machine, but you said there was no way you would drive the extra hour with gas prices as they are.” Barry sighed and slowly shook his head. “You said you could do this.”

“I lied. Let’s go home. I can try for the other place in a month or two.” Dan smiled and reached out to hug his husband.

“Bullshit.” Barry backed up out of the hug and his face grew red. “You can’t afford another black out or possible seizure.”

The door opened and young nurse stepped out. “We’re all set, Mr. Banks.”

“I changed my mind.” Dan muttered as he tried to maneuver around Barry.

“The hell we have. He is claustrophobic and the closed machine is freaking him out.”

“Um, did anyone tell you that we have the new open machine here now? It was set up on Monday. If that is the problem, I can simply arrange to have you use that one instead.”

Barry nearly fell to the ground in relief.

“You have it?” Dan looked at the nurse in disbelief.

“We have a lot of people who are claustrophobic, sir, or are rather … um … large and need the space that the open MRI machine will offer.” The nurse smiled as she slowly led Dan down the hallway.
“The hospital was glad when they finally were able to procure one for here.”

“And I won’t have to worry about it touching me or closing in on me?”

“No, Mr. Banks.” The nurse stopped and motioned to one of the nurses in the new room. “Did you want your partner to go in with you or wait for you in the lounge? You really shouldn’t be in there too long.”

“I’ll wait in the lounge. Dan will be fine.”

Dan blushed.

“These are the forms for Mr. Banks. He needs the open MRI.” The young nurse informed the technician who sat behind the desk.

“Well since no one really knows we are here I can slide you right in.” The male technician took the papers and double checked everything. “Okay, Mr. Banks, please follow me.”

Dan followed the tech through the white doors.

“Thank you so much.” Barry said as he shook the nurse’s hand. “I really don’t know what I would have done if he didn’t have these tests done.”

The nurse shook her head. “No problem. Trust me; he isn’t the first patient to be petrified of going in for the tests. Better he is put at ease and gets them done, then panic and try to forget them completely.”

Barry watched her stride down the hallway back the way they had come. He walked over to one of the chairs in waiting room and prepared to make himself as comfortable as he could until Dan came out of the test room.

So that was my take on prompt 340 which asked you to use the first line of "There is no way I am going in there!" Thanks for reading. Comments, as always, are welcome. Any mistakes are all mine.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Claustrophobia and MRIs... I can totally relate! I'm glad they had an open MRI machine and that Dan was able to go through with the procedure. It's nice that the staff were so accommodating and understanding.

Link to comment

Yikes! Blackouts. Sounds serious. Now I wonder what Dan's problem is, aside from his cute stubbornness and claustrophobia. Great prompt. Thanks!

Link to comment
On 07/27/2014 06:04 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Yikes! Blackouts. Sounds serious. Now I wonder what Dan's problem is, aside from his cute stubbornness and claustrophobia. Great prompt. Thanks!
Yeah health issues are nothing to laugh at. Barry was out to get his husband to take those tests one way or another.
Link to comment
On 07/27/2014 01:57 AM, Valkyrie said:
Claustrophobia and MRIs... I can totally relate! I'm glad they had an open MRI machine and that Dan was able to go through with the procedure. It's nice that the staff were so accommodating and understanding.
My mom had issues with both so it wasn't hard to remember her excuses to try to get out of a test she would really need. Thanks for reading and commenting Valkyrie
Link to comment

I can relate to that, I have (a mild) claustrophobia and doing a CT or a MRI would be hard to do :( Thanks for sharing

Link to comment
On 07/27/2014 07:37 AM, Slytherin said:
I can relate to that, I have (a mild) claustrophobia and doing a CT or a MRI would be hard to do :( Thanks for sharing
Claustrophobia is a common fear. Depending on the person it can be a mild inconvenience or a demoralizing affair. In this case everything worked out for the best.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..