Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 663 Words
  • 1,717 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 3. Family Night - Prompt 295

Tom and Jody are married and raising their son, Tony. Life is as normal as can be. Just a slice of life tale.

The prompt asked you to use the following as a first line - “I think I finally have the answer.”

“I think I finally have the answer.” Tony stood in the doorway biting on the eraser of his pencil.

Tom looked up from the bed and smiled.

“Okay, so what is the answer?”

Tony padded across the floor and put his homework down before his dad.

“I think it is five.”

Tom patted the bed and began to look over the long math problem. The answer was six but he needed to see where Tony had gone astray if he was going to help him.

“Alright let me check it over.”

Tony curled up alongside his dad and waited. He could see the book his father was reading had been placed down and he could see the Mickey Mouse bookmark that he had picked out with his father for his dad.

“Okay, I have a question for you.” Tom had found the mistake and pointed to a spot on the paper. “You did double check your math, right?”

“Yup.” Tony slid closer and looked at what his dad was pointing at.

“Okay, so what is five times six?”

Tony began counting on his fingers – five, ten, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, and thirty. “Thirty.”

“Good. So why did you write down twenty five?”

Tony blushed.

“You need to slow down. Division is just the reverse of multiplying.” Tom smiled at his son. “I know you want to watch your show, but if you aren’t careful then you won’t pass your test tomorrow.”

Tony shook his head and looked over his homework again. “Thanks Dad.”

“Where are you guys?”

“We’re in the bedroom. Tony had me checking his homework, babe.”

A moment later, Jody walked into the room. His dark hair and eyes were reflected in his son who sat beside Tom on the bed looking over a piece of paper.

“Hi Pop.”

Jody walked over and ruffled his son’s hair.

“I’ll give you ‘Hi Pop.’ Did you finish your homework?”

“Almost.” Tony slipped off the bed and hurried out of the room to finish.

Tom chuckled and picked up his book.

“Math again?” Jody slipped out of his tie, paused by the bed, and gave Tom a kiss on the cheek.

“Uh oh. Am I losing ground?”

“No.” Jody smiled and leaned to give Tom a deep kiss.

“That’s better.”

“So was it math again?”

“Yeah. He just rushes through it babe. He knows the answer, which is what drives me crazy.”

Jody shook his head. “I guess I can’t say much. Mom was always telling me the same thing – slow down. Guess our son takes after me.”

Tom set the book down and walked over to give Jody a hug.

“Yeah, but just think of the things he might grow into.” Tom leaned in and gently nipped his husband’s earlobe. “After all, look how good you turned out.”

Jody smiled and licked his lips. “Flattery will get you … everything.”

“Don’t I know it.”

Jody laughed.

“Let me go check on the rest of his homework and then set him up with the television." Tom shot his husband a wink. "You grab your shower, and I’ll meet you in the kitchen. I can sit with you while you eat.”

“Trust me, hon. I really just want this project over. The late nights are killing me. I don’t really get to see you or Tony. This sucks!”

Tom paused at the door. “You say this same thing every few months. Don’t worry. My job lets me be home for our son. Besides, you know you love your job and these little projects only spring up once every couple of months. We will survive. We always do.”

“What would I do without you?” Jody slipped off his shirt as started to pull the belt out of his pants.

“Starve. You can’t cook for beans.” Tom's laughter could be heard as he headed down to check on the rest of Tony’s homework.

Jody smiled and headed in to grab his shower.

So that is my little slice of family life. What did you think? Comments are always welcomed.

Taken from prompt 295 where you were asked to use this as the first line of a story - “I think I finally have the answer.”
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 01/25/2014 03:25 PM, Suvitar said:
Such a sweet little story :*)
Thank you. Sometimes you just need a slice of life. No big issues or problems. I like to relax in my writing of the prompts.
Link to comment

What do I think of your slice of family life? I love it, miss sitting with my daughter doing homework, and think everyone should know the joy of that sort of life. Lovely Wayne!

Link to comment
On 01/26/2014 09:26 AM, Kitt said:
What do I think of your slice of family life? I love it, miss sitting with my daughter doing homework, and think everyone should know the joy of that sort of life. Lovely Wayne!
Thanks Kitt. I know usually the stories focus on the problems or the joys, but sometimes it is the lulls between such that mean so much.
Link to comment

There was a time when flattery would get you...well, I finally caught on to that ruse. Now, you have to whisper something really naughty in my ear. :lmao:

 

I liked it, Wayne. Easy and un-explosive is exactly what life is like the majority of the time. Who needs all that drama, anyway? ;)

Link to comment
On 01/31/2014 10:36 AM, Ron said:
There was a time when flattery would get you...well, I finally caught on to that ruse. Now, you have to whisper something really naughty in my ear. :lmao:

 

I liked it, Wayne. Easy and un-explosive is exactly what life is like the majority of the time. Who needs all that drama, anyway? ;)

I am glad you liked it Ron. Life has its quiet times and I enjoy catching those moments and highlighting them.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..