Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,575 Words
  • 2,394 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 1. The Picnic - Prompt 290

This story is based off prompt 290. You were asked to create a story based off the picture provided.

The Picnic

It was the lazy sort of day you dream about for weeks. I mean usually everyone is so busy trying to get things done, but every once in a blue moon you strike it rich and get just what you want. For me it was a day down by the water with friends.

“Oh Lord! You invited them all? Are you crazy Wayne?”

I laughed as seen the look Joann was giving me. I mean how many crazy adventures had she been on, and she had the nerve to ask me if I was the one going crazy?

“Would you relax? Everyone is coming and bringing a dish. How much trouble can there be?”

“You invited KC?” Her eyebrow arched and she shook her head.

“He is a bit clumsy, but hey, he will have Robert at his side and you know he watches over him like a hawk.” I smiled and passed her a beer. “Besides you know Cassie is coming too so you have no reason not enjoy yourself. You two are thicker than thieves.”

Joann’s laughter filled my kitchen and she sat down to finish making up the salad she planned to bring. I turned back and went to work on the bagging up plates and things I was bringing with me.

“You know everyone is bringing stuff don’t you?”

I heard Russ’ voice through the back door as I turned around.

“Yeah, but inevitably someone forgets something. I would rather be prepared.”

“No doubt you were a boy scout at one time.” Russ smiled as he leaned against the counter. Joann got up and passed him a beer.

“You have to ask?”

Both of them began to laugh.

By the time I was ready to leave I had four chests of food and supplies ready to go. I was glad Russ showed up because I realized this would never have fit in my car, and Joann’s truck still had new plants she had bought for her home in the back.

It was shortly after eleven that we pulled up to the park. There were people wandering around enjoying the warm temperatures and the cool breeze blowing through the trees. I’d booked the picnic area earlier in the week but getting everyone’s schedule cleared took a bit of work.

We set up three tables and chairs, set up a grill, and then sat back to relax and wait for everyone.

Among the first to arrive were KC and Robert. KC was still limping but not as badly as he had been. Robert followed up behind with a cooler.

“See, I made it and I didn’t fall once.”

“Yeah, and I didn’t let him in the kitchen either so the food is safe.” Robert winked at his husband as he set the cooler down on the table.

“Would you knock it off, I’m … never mind. Just set the food down and help me lay the blanket down. I want to stretch my leg.”

Robert was at KC’s side in a second and Joann was there to help the two of them.

“Alright what would you gentlemen like to drink?” I asked as I walked to the cooler of drinks I had packed.

“I’d kill for a beer.” KC carefully maneuvered onto the blanket and smiled.

“Make mine a soda, please. I have to drive us.” Robert walked over to get the drinks as I turned to Russ.

“Water for now. I want to wait for the food.” Russ walked over and sat by KC. Soon the two were deep in conversation.

“Did somebody say food?”

I turned to find Sly walking up with Zombie close at her heels.

“Yeah, we were saying we hoped everyone brought something.”

Sly laughed.

“Like I would forget to bring food. Although we know Wayne put this together and probably has more than enough for an army.”

Zombie sort of groaned as he tried to get the packages he was carrying onto the food table.

“Oh stop. They aren’t that heavy!” Sly shook her head.

“Easy for you to say. You saw me walking by and asked if I could lend a hand. I didn’t expect to have to carry it all.”

“What? You expect little ole me to do the lifting?” Sly smiled and grabbed a drink out of the cooler. She came back with a beer for Zombie.

“There you guys are! Geez, you weren’t kidding about getting a few of us together were you?” Cassie stood wearing a hat and sunglasses. Joann rushed over to help take one of the two coolers out of her hand. The two gave a hug and giggled.

“Alright. Don’t you two start. We have enough on our plates without you two starting trouble.” I looked at Cassie and Joann who both turned to me.

“Would I cause trouble?” both Joann and Cassie said at the same time.

I couldn’t stop laughing because I know them too well.

Mark and Stu arrived just as the grill was being lit.

“Sorry, we’re late.” Stu turned red as he placed a platter of food down on the table.

“I’m not.” Mark grinned and kissed Stu’s cheek.

“See, I told you we had time,” KC muttered to Robert who just leaned in and kissed him.

“Alright enough of this lovey dovey stuff. Who is grilling? I’m hungry.” Sly walked over and pushed me toward the grill.

People began to move around opening up the different foods brought, breaking into groups, talking about books, food, and what stories they were reading or writing. The first of the hot dogs and burgers were just coming off the grill when the last guest made their entrance.

“Damn it. I knew I should have taken a taxi.” I turned to find Sarah stomping across the field. “I didn’t have time to cook, so I brought chips.”

I walked over and gave her a hug.

With everyone in place we just sort of sat back and relaxed. For a change there were no problems or issues. Everyone had a great time. Some people had brought swimming clothes and others sat watching as they had races or played in the water. Time seemed to fly and before we all sort of knew it the sun was going down.

“God, look at all the leftovers.” I stood looking at the trays of food in total shock.

“Well, what did you expect?” Joann tossed her arm over my shoulders. “You made enough extra for like twenty people. I think everyone ate enough.”

“I sure did.” Cassie rubbed her stomach and laughed.

“Do me a favor. Help make up plates to send home with them all. I am not taking this all home. I’ll be eating it for weeks.”

Joann and Cassie laughed as they began to help split up some of the food onto plates to send home with people.

Robert stopped by to help the girls. KC had fallen sleep on the blanket. His legs looked red as a lobster. I had no doubt he had forgotten to put on suntan lotion.

Sarah, Mark, and Stu stood off to the side deep in conversation. Meanwhile Russ and Zombie helped clean up the garbage from around the picnic area. Sly was busy toting the garbage bags that the guys filled over to the dumpster at the edge of the park.

It seemed almost like someone turned out the sun as everyone was busy cleaning up. There were a couple of lamps near the water’s edge that lit up the park as everyone put the last of their stuff into their vehicles.

“We had fun,” Mark said as he walked over and gave me a hug. “We have to do this again soon, Unc.”

“Thanks for inviting us.” Stu shook my hand and followed Mark around to say their goodbyes.

“I’m going to follow you guys back to your place. Jo and I are going talk for a while,” Cassie commented as she grabbed the coolers and headed out.

“Thanks for the invite. Let me know any time you want to cook, Wayne.” Sly smiled and pinched Zombie’s butt as she headed out toward her car.

“That woman has some set of paws,” grumbled Zombie as he waved and headed out.

“Do you have everything Robert?” KC stood with the blanket over his arm, moving very carefully and clearly in pain from his sunburn.

“Yeah. I think we better stop for some spray aloe for your sunburn on the way home.”

“Shh. If I ignore it, then it doesn’t exist.”

We laughed as KC waved and hobbled toward the car.

“Don’t worry. I’ll take care of him.” Robert followed behind; making sure his husband was alright.

We all smiled and waved as they went off toward their car.

“Well, lady and gent time to get going. I think we have everything in my truck.” Russ stood with big smile on his face.

“This was fun, but next time we have it in my neck of the woods,” Joann said as she walked toward the truck.

“I’m just glad we didn’t have any trouble.”

Joann stopped and turned to me. “Night ain’t over yet. Remember, some of us are going to your place.”

“Darn right.”

I turned to find Sarah following us.

“And I am following you home so don’t lose me.”

We all laughed as we headed off toward the only vehicles left in the parking lot.

So I decided to take a page out of Joann's book and use a bunch of people from the site. Did you enjoy the story? Did it make sense? Care to comment? Love to know what you thought.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like the sort of day people plan but seldom get. Here's to a 2014 filled with family and friends having good times like this!

Lovely Wayne!

PS to Joann- He only posted it a couple hours ago! You hardly missed it!

Link to comment
:hug: What a wonderful, happy picnic :) I had a big smile on my face reading this (like I Always have Reading Jo Ann's promts)
Link to comment

Easy, peasy, Wayne. I like your idea of fun in the sun and lack of drama, at least nothing more than some aloe vera won't take care of.

Link to comment
On 01/10/2014 11:55 PM, joann414 said:
I can't believe I missed this. Cute as hell. I still want to write the picture one!
Well the prompts are there whenever you are ready. Thanks for the comment though Jo.
Link to comment
On 01/11/2014 12:30 AM, Kitt said:
Sounds like the sort of day people plan but seldom get. Here's to a 2014 filled with family and friends having good times like this!

Lovely Wayne!

PS to Joann- He only posted it a couple hours ago! You hardly missed it!

Nice thing is in a story you can make things happen as you like, Kitt. I'll take those good wishes though. Here is to a good 2014.
Link to comment
On 01/11/2014 07:42 AM, Slytherin said:
:hug: What a wonderful, happy picnic :) I had a big smile on my face reading this (like I Always have Reading Jo Ann's promts)
Glad you enjoyed it Sly. I tried to do a story where people would just feel good.
Link to comment
On 01/11/2014 02:22 PM, Ron said:
Easy, peasy, Wayne. I like your idea of fun in the sun and lack of drama, at least nothing more than some aloe vera won't take care of.
Yeah, well I love KC, but if anyone was going to get burned it would be him. :lol: Glad you enjoyed it Ron.
Link to comment

Nice snapshot of a picnic. I think if anyone would have said that just writing about a group of friends having a picnic would work, I'd have said, nah!
But it did work and very successfully.
tim

Link to comment
On 10/23/2015 12:42 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice snapshot of a picnic. I think if anyone would have said that just writing about a group of friends having a picnic would work, I'd have said, nah!

But it did work and very successfully.

tim

Thank you Tim. I try out all sorts of new ideas in my prompt stories. Gives me the opportunities to do so.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..