Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,260 Words
  • 1,950 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 8. Dealing with a Nosey Neighbor - Prompt 305

Josh just got home from a horrible day and just wants to relax. Unfortunately he gets a phone call from the neighborhood busybody, Mrs. Weston, asking for help. Unable to break his upbringing, Josh goes over to help and his day gets a bit worse.

It had been the week from hell and I was looking forward to nothing more than curling up on my couch with a nice cup of coffee, a sandwich, and a new book to read. Of course, knowing my luck, that was far too much to ask for.

I’d barely walked through my front door setting my briefcase down and my phone began to ring.

“Hello.”

“Josh?” The voice was very soft and I couldn’t make out whether it was even male or female.

“Yes, this is Josh. Who is this?”

“I’m sorry. This is Mrs. Weston, your neighbor.”

I knew Mrs. Weston. She was the street busybody. If someone got a delivery, had company, played music too loudly, might be having an affair, or anything else it was Mrs. Weston who would be filling in all the neighbors as well as calling the cops for anything she deemed too loud or too late.

“Yes, Mrs. Weston. I’m sorry, but is there a problem? I just literally was walking in my door from work.”

“I’m sorry, Josh. It is just I had a small accident today. I was sort of hoping you could help me out for a moment.”

It is the terrible thing growing up as I did. I am prone to massive amounts of guilt, for no other reason than having gone through a Catholic school growing up.

“Are you alright?”

“I was out walking and wasn’t watching where I was going. My cane got stuck. I broke the cane in one of the street drains down by Mr. Hendrick’s house.”

Robert Hendrick had just divorced his wife and was in the process of redoing his home. No doubt in my mind she had gone down to investigate and that is how she broke the cane.

“I’m sorry to hear that. Were you able to get home?”

There was a pause. “Yes. I didn’t mean to drag any attention to myself, but Robert had to help me home.”

“So what is it you need, Mrs. Weston?”

“Muffin is missing.”

“Muffin?”

“Yes, my little baby. I let her out into the back yard and she simply won’t come back in. Without my cane I can’t go out after her.”

I set my lunch bag from work down and headed out my back door. The sun was already setting and the lightning bugs were already appearing in around the yards. I could see the little dog digging in the back corner of Mrs. Weston’s yard. The Chihuahua was a small nasty little beast. I wasn’t looking forward to going after it. I walked around and entered the side yard, closed the gate behind me and made my way toward the dog.

“Here Muffin. Come on you little beast. Let’s go.”

The dog stopped digging and looked up at me then barked. I thought it was at me until I seen this dark shape flying toward the trees behind Mrs. Weston’s back yard. Realizing that the bat was probably the reason I wasn’t having the bug problem this year, I ignored it only to hear a sudden crash and spotted a falcon rip the bat out of the air. I hurried over and picked up the dog, afraid he might be next. Muffin of course didn’t like that and bit me. I tried to ignore the bite and knocked on Mrs. Weston’s back door.

“Come in.”

The overpowering smell of bleach assaulted my nose I walked in.

“I’m in the living room, Josh.”

I set the little monster down and followed it as it raced through the kitchen and into what I could only assume was the living room. Seated on the couch with her leg up was Mrs. Weston. I’d never been in her home before but there were walls of collector dolls everywhere I looked.

“I got Muffin in for you. I wouldn’t let him out again without being there.”

Mrs. Weston stared at me surprised. “Why? Is something wrong?”

“Well other than him trying to dig under your fence, there was a rather large bird of prey that made an attack in your back yard near the woods. I’m afraid if he is left out there alone, he might become their next meal.”

Muffin had been sitting next to the couch watching me and didn’t seem to enjoy being suddenly snatched off the ground.

“Oh my poor little man. Are you alright, Muffin?” She nuzzled into the dog’s face and he growled at her.

I waved and tried to leave as she spotted me.

“Oh, Josh I don’t think I have ever had the opportunity to invite you into my home.”

I wanted to tell her that I really never wanted to be here after she told everyone to watch their children around me. She never bothered to tell them her prejudices, but it took a while till everyone got to know me and found out I wasn’t a danger to their kids, I was simply gay.

“No, you haven’t. I am glad I was of help, but…”

“Nonsense. I just want to show you this room. I really couldn’t do the whole house justice with my leg all banged up.”

I smiled politely while in my head the words of both my mother and Sister Mary Agnes repeated in my head. Respect your elders and if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.

“My dear Monty began my collection. We couldn’t have children so he felt I should have only the best in dolls. See that one in the blue dress near the window.”

Before me stood a four foot doll in a long blue dress with giant golden curls and a small gold crown nestled on her head. It was under a large clear box.

“That is Princess Sally. She was my first doll from Monty. Isn’t she beautiful?”

I nodded and said not a word.

“Then there is Pricilla in the purple dress next to her and the beautiful red hair. Then there is Misty with the long green coat and stunning blue eyes. Then there is the one he bought me for our tenth anniversary over here by the couch. That is Cindy. I really do like Cindy. You know she comes with a real sable jacket?”

“You have quite a collection here, Mrs. Weston. I would love to see more, but I was about to fix dinner when you called and I really need to get home.”

“Oh, I’m sorry Josh. Did you know that Mr. Hendrick found his wife with another woman? Can you believe that? Oh, that is wrong of me. I mean she is like you, I…”

I forced a smile on my face, waved and nearly raced out her back door and over to my own home again.

I flipped on the television while I searched my fridge for something to make. I finally decided on an egg sandwich. I had just finished turning my eggs over when I heard the announcer comment about how the Victoria Secrets Models and the New York City Fire Fighters had both completed their sexy calendars for next year and would soon be picking out their favorite pictures. It was only June and I for one wasn’t looking for next year’s calendar.

I took my sandwich, a nice cup of coffee, and curled up on my couch. I clicked off the television and finally picked up the new mystery I had been waiting to read. The rest of the night was my own to relax and enjoy.

Taken from prompt 305 -
Use the following words in a story – a gold crown, a broken cane, a sexy calendar, a new book, and a falcon.
 
 
So what did you think? Did I pull it off? Comments and critics are welcome. Thanks for reading. If you enjoyed it feel free to click like.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 03/02/2014 01:16 AM, Kitt said:
I think everyone knows some version of Mrs Weston! Nicely done Wayne.
Thank you Kitt. Yeah, I think everyone knows that local busybody. Sometimes it is Mrs. Weston, and sometimes it is her husband instead.
Link to comment
On 03/04/2014 04:21 AM, Suvitar said:
That´s why I love living where I live, no nosy neighbours :P Nice story.
You are lucky Suvitar. Most neighborhoods have a version of the nosy neighbor who is more than willing to spy on everyone and pass judgement as well.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..