Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 563 Words
  • 1,489 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 28. Eric's Lesson - Prompt 392

Eric is sort of straight laced and he doesn't always understand his boyfriend, Alistair. When he comes with groceries and finds Alistair watching a cartoon movie he is afraid he might have chosen completely wrong. Eric however is about to get a lesson from Alistair that will change his opinion.

“What the hell are you watching?”

Alistair turned to Eric standing in the doorway, a bag of groceries in his hands.

“A movie,” Alistair answered before popping another piece of popcorn in his mouth.

“It looks like a damn cartoon. Can’t you turn it off and help me bring in the groceries?”

Alistair sighed. “Yes dear, I can pause it and help you.”

Eric shook his head and returned to the kitchen where he set his bag of groceries on the counter. It wasn’t like he had a lot of groceries. It was just five bags, but finding Alistair watching cartoons at his age just upset him. Sometimes his boyfriend could be such a child.

Alistair didn’t say anything. He went out to the car, grabbed all the groceries, pushed the car door shut with his foot, and carried them up the flight of stairs to their apartment. He set them on the counter and then went right work sorting the items inside and putting them all away. Eric stood watching him and didn’t say anything until Alistair put the last item away and headed back toward the living room.

“You really are going to watch a cartoon?”

“You do know not all cartoons are for children, right?” Alistair asked as he resumed his seat on the couch.

“Cartoons are for kids.” Eric shook his head and wandered over to the side of the couch.

“Cartoons go from teaching kids their a, b, c’s to adult porn and everything in between. I watched The Hobbit earlier.”

“Well they just finished releasing that didn’t they?” Eric sat on the arm of the couch and looked down at Alistair.

“I meant the cartoon version. It was made by the same company that did all those Christmas specials you like, but it was made back in the seventies. Right now I have The Last Unicorn in. Trust me, it isn’t so much for children, but the story really is beautiful.”

Eric figured he would humor Alistair but was soon dragged into the story and forgot he was watching a cartoon.

As the movie ended Alistair turned to Eric, “So what did you think?”

“Ali, if I didn’t watch it I wouldn’t have believed you. Are there a lot of movies like this?”

“They are like any other movie you watch. Some are good, some are bad. They do a lot of science fiction and fantasy in this form, because, well, it was a lot cheaper than special effects in live action. Times change. I keep telling you not all the Disney cartoons are for kids, either. They write and include a lot for adults now.”

“What else you got?” Eric curled up along side Alistair.

“How about we order a pizza and I’ll pull out part of my collection. Once you get used to seeing what they can do in a normal cartoon, I’ll introduce to you some Anime.”

“Anime? What is that?”

“Japanese animation. Wait till you see how they do their story telling with cartoons. It will blow your mind.”

Eric shook his head and leaned to kiss Alistair. “Sorry for not understanding, love.”

Alistair smiled. “You are always teaching me something new. Nice to be able to introduce you to something for a change.”

Eric stood up and went for the phone. “What do you want on your pizza?”

“Surprise me!"

Prompt 392 asked you to use the line "What the hell are you watching?" to begin your story. So what did you think? Comments are always welcomed. One of my shorter prompts. smile.png
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was sweet. We do tend to jump to conclusions about things we dont really know. Nice reminder an open mind is more receptive and fun. Great vignette!

Link to comment
On 02/14/2015 09:23 AM, Cole Matthews said:
That was sweet. We do tend to jump to conclusions about things we dont really know. Nice reminder an open mind is more receptive and fun. Great vignette!
Thanks Cole. I never know where the prompts will take me. Just sort of struck me as I looked at my rather large collection of movies. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

What a cute story. It's easy to dismiss what you don't understand. I don't think I'll ever get sick of watching cartoons. Nice job, Wayne. :)

Link to comment

Ha! This reminds when my dad went to our redneck uncle's house for a family get together. He popped in an anime vhs and his side of the family was like, "Oh great, a show to distract the kiddies..." by the end, they wanted to know more about DBZ. Awesome.

Link to comment
On 02/14/2015 01:49 PM, Valkyrie said:
What a cute story. It's easy to dismiss what you don't understand. I don't think I'll ever get sick of watching cartoons. Nice job, Wayne. :)
Yup. You never know til you try something. Cartoons, food, or new ideas are all things I keep an open mind about. Might not like them all but willing to give them a shot.
Link to comment
On 02/17/2015 01:27 AM, Rook Lee said:
Ha! This reminds when my dad went to our redneck uncle's house for a family get together. He popped in an anime vhs and his side of the family was like, "Oh great, a show to distract the kiddies..." by the end, they wanted to know more about DBZ. Awesome.
Yeah, Anime is its own special animal and DBZ just keeps going. lol.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..