Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,120 Words
  • 1,330 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 24. A Turkey in July - Prompt 370

For every holiday and event Ed makes sure everything is perfect for his partner and his family. Lou has decided he wants return the favor, but when Ed requests a full turkey dinner in the middle of July is it beyond what Lou can deliver or is this going to be a birthday to remember?

“A turkey? You want a god damn full on turkey dinner for your birthday?” Lou stood there with his mouth hanging open looking at his boyfriend.

“Well, you asked what I wanted.” Ed stood calmly in front of the air conditioner trying to stay cool.

“Honey, I don’t mind much but it is July and the temps for the next week are supposed to near a hundred degrees.” Lou stood and waved his hands pathetically in the air. “And you want a full on turkey dinner with all the fixings like we would have at Thanksgiving?”

Ed turned so his back was to the air conditioner and looked Lou in the eyes. “If it is too much just say so. We can always have dinner in one of the restaurants in town.”

Lou shook his head. There was no way he could disappoint Ed for his birthday. The man had pulled off some amazing stuff for their anniversary, his birthday, and hell even his baby sister’s birthday. Seemed all he had to say was he wanted this and Ed made it happen. The man just wanted a turkey dinner in July. How hard could it be?

***

Lou stood in the middle of the grocery store with a list in one hand and a pen in the other. He checked off his list as he made sure he had everything - bread for stuffing, onions, gravy, cranberries and canned cranberry sauce, makings for a carrot salad, a fruit salad, and a tomato with fresh mozzarella cheese salad. He had pumpkin pie, apple pie, and sweet potato pie. He had the fixings for chocolate pudding, bread pudding, and rice pudding.

“Lou, they say they don’t have one!”

Lou looked up to find his sister Margarita shaking her head and looking upset.

“Huh? What don’t they have?”

Rita sighed. “A big enough turkey you idiot. What else did we come to get?”

Lou paled for a moment. “What do you mean they don’t have a big enough bird. I’ll take two small ones if I have to.”

Rita shook her head. “Don’t start. Just follow me.”

Rita led Lou through the store to where the manager stood near all the poultry. It was hard to miss him. He stood at five foot two in the brightest blue sweater Lou had ever seen with the word “Manager” stitched on it.

“Hi. I understand you were looking for large turkeys. You do realize at this time of the year we don’t normally stock such a large bird. However, these are the largest we have.”

The manager lifted two four pound birds. From where Lou was standing he would have sworn they were chickens.

“Look I don’t mean to cause a problem but I have close to forty people coming to a full on turkey dinner tomorrow night. Two,” Lou gave the birds a disgusted look before he continued, “little birds won’t begin to do for my guests.”

The manager lifted his head and set the birds down. “Well, these are the largest you will find. Good luck, Sir.” The little man turned and stomped away.

“I’m going to kill him and stuff him. He might just be big enough for the dinner,” Lou grumbled.

Rita shook her head and grabbed her phone. It took a few minutes, but she smiled and looked up. “Grab what you need from here. I found a butcher two blocks away who has one giant turkey and two smaller ones. It should be enough for you dinner.”

“Have I told you how much I love you, Sis?”

“No, but if I ever want another rocking birthday from Ed we are going to get your damn birds.”

***

The tables in the backyard nearly groaned under the weight of the food that Lou had prepared for almost twenty four hours. Temperatures soared into the upper nineties, but Lou just kept the ac on and just continued to work on dish after dish. Rita had stayed half the night helping him but he was up, basting he birds and checking on the rest of what was being cooked.

At noon the last of the food was done and Lou collapsed into a cold shower and then onto the bed to try to catch a little sleep. It was just after three when Ed called.

“Hey, hon. Just thought I would check to see how things are.”

Lou rubbed his face and caught the time. He tried not swear and took a deep breath instead. “Everything is perfect. You will be home at five, right?”

“Better plan on five thirty. You know the evening traffic.”

Lou nearly cried in relief. He needed every moment. “Okay. Will see you later.”

The phone went silent and Lou stood just as the door bell went off.

“Coming!” He rushed to the door only to find the florist waiting for him.

“Hey Lou. I can’t believe you ordered flowers for his birthday in turkey containers. I mean it isn’t even Thanksgiving.”

Lou shook his head as he signed Tony’s paper. “You’ll understand when you come back later.”

“If you say so. I gave as big a break as I could. You need help setting this up?”

Lou bit his lip and was about to say “yes” when Rita walked up behind Tony and goosed him. “Hey hot house. I’ll help him.”

Tony rubbed his butt. “If it was anyone else I would have hit them.” Tony gave Rita a hard stare.

“If it was anyone else I would have broken their fingers. Your butt is mine and Raul’s.” She shrugged and took the box out of Tony’s hand.

“You are incredible.” Tony shook his head.

“I know,” said Rita as she winked at him and closed the door.

***

The music was soft, the conversations entertaining, and the birthday boy was smiling from ear to ear the whole time.

“I still can’t believe you pulled this off. I would have been fine with a nice restaurant, you know.” Ed leaned in and kissed Lou on the lips.

“Hmm.” Lou opened his eyes and looked at Ed before smiling. “You might have, but I would have felt like a heel.”

“I love you.” Ed leaned in and gently kissed his lovers cheek.

“Good, cause after the pies and your cake I have a really special gift for you.”

Ed cocked his eyebrow and looked at Lou. “You have something on top of all this?”

“You bet I do. And I promise no long neck, waddle, or sides required.”

Ed smiled and blushed.

“Let’s go enjoy your party, birthday boy.” Lou smiled and winked at Ed as he headed off to check on his guests.

Based off prompt 370 which asked you to - use the following in a story – turkey, gift, flowers, blue sweater, and a pen. Any mistakes you find are strictly my own.

So what do you think? Was it successful? Comments and thoughts are always welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read my prompt tale. If you enjoyed it feel free to click the like button.
 
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bravo!!! That is what we do for the one we love. We go to absurd lengths, don't care what it takes, and that is it! Fantastic! I love it. Thank you for sharing this.

Link to comment

Now I know I'm not alone with my cravings for ginger bread in summer and strawberry cake in winter! And as Cole said: 'what we do for the one we love' . Thank you!

Link to comment
On 11/19/2014 03:50 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Bravo!!! That is what we do for the one we love. We go to absurd lengths, don't care what it takes, and that is it! Fantastic! I love it. Thank you for sharing this.
Thanks. I seen everyone taking it for Thanksgiving so I wanted to turn that idea upside down. So why not a Thanksgiving feast in the middle of July when it is hotter than hell because that is what the one you love wants for their birthday. If you can't do the little things to show you care, the bigger things have no meaning.
Link to comment
On 11/19/2014 05:12 PM, aditus said:
Now I know I'm not alone with my cravings for ginger bread in summer and strawberry cake in winter! And as Cole said: 'what we do for the one we love' . Thank you!
I love my peppermint in summer. I wish I could still eat strawberries but alas no longer. And yes, the things we do for the ones we love, show just how much we care.
Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 10:10 AM, Slytherin said:
I love your stories, Wayne :) Wonderful prompt ! :hug:
Thank you, Sly. :hug: I just really wanted a story to show when you love someone nothing is too much.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..