Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,054 Words
  • 1,943 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 29. The Reunion - Prompt 400

Charlie has thought about his life in front of the camera for a long time. However, the past doesn't always stay in the past and although he had hidden away people come to find him and bring him back for the fortieth anniversary of his television show. What will this do to the man who put this behind him so long ago?

“But I heard you were dead!”

Charlie sighed and forced a smile onto his face as he turned to face a young blonde woman standing there looking at him. “Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

Charlie watched as the girl shrugged her shoulders. “Okay. Well, we are just going to set you up with the other member of the show then.”

“I didn’t know anyone else from the show was invited. Who else is here?”

“Oh some other guy, umm…Brock or Brad? I don’t remember.” She just looked at her paper and began to walk away. “Come on, I’ll put you over here.”

Charlie Anderson, better known to the world as Benson from Benson and Space Travelers, was here for the convention. He had been twelve when the show began to air in 1975 and was all of seventeen when the show ended. As a Saturday morning television show it had been fun but his interest in acting hadn’t been there. He found a passion for books and was drawn to the King Arthur legend so he went to college. There he had gone on to get a degree in medieval literature, then his PhD, and finally he had been teaching as a professor for years in a small university up in Vermont. It was nearing the fortieth anniversary of the show, which is what had lured him to come to this convention. He had been approached before, but didn’t want to be in the spotlight.

“Charlie? Oh lord, is that really you?”

Charlie stopped and looked at the man before him. He was tall, thin, well built. There was just a hint of gray to his dark brown hair and the eyes were a deep shade of ocean blue. Those eyes were something he couldn’t forget. This could only be one man for Charlie. “Barry? Tell me that is you?”

Barry came over and engulfed Charlie in a hug.

Charlie smiled widely.

“Where the hell have you been? You’ve missed all the reunions.” Barry stepped back. The smile faded slightly as he looked over Charlie. “I heard you had died.”

Charlie bowed his head. “I was in an accident years ago and the news just got it wrong. My partner was killed in it, but I was in the hospital for months and recovery took a long time. I just wasn’t one for the spotlight and let the rumor take over. However, even I couldn’t hide forever. I had been nearly begged to come for this anniversary convention. One of the producer’s children found me teaching and, well, here I am.”

“I’m sorry Charlie. Show business wasn’t the end all for you. I know you wanted to go to school.” Barry stood there awkwardly. “So, um, you know we are the only ones left.”

“I went to Marsha’s funeral, but never heard about Luke or Daniel.” Charlie shook his head. “God, she went so fast with the cancer. Hell that was back in the eighties.”

“ Yeah. I still miss Marsha. The next was Luke though we had suspected it might be. Luke had a heart attack in ninety-five. He gained so much weight and we all kept telling him he needed a diet. He finally decided to do something and tried to go jogging in the summer heat and it was too much for his body.”

Marsha and Luke had played the parents, Susan and Chris Traveler. On a show about space and the human child they picked up for a new adventure each week. They were just in their thirties when the show started and both had passed far too soon.

“Oh that is horrible. What happened to Daniel?”

“He became a cop in LA. Was killed in the line of duty last year.” Barry turned and his voice broke as he spoke. “He was a father with four children. His wife is a really sweet woman.”

Charlie shook his head in dismay. It might have been decades but Daniel was still the older brother who watched out for him on the set. Daniel had always seen the world as a place he could make better. It made a lot of sense to Charlie that he had become a police officer.

“So it really is just us left then.” Charlie stood there in shock.

“Yup just the two of us.” Barry turned again to face Charlie, wiping away the tears that he had shed.

“I’m sorry, Barry. I never really meant to hide from all of you. It was when I figured out who I really was, I was worried that it would sour everyone on me. So I made the choice to not face any of you.” Charlie hugged himself protectively. “I met Harry and fell in love. We were together for ten years when the accident took him.”

“You didn’t have to hide from us, Charlie.” Barry’s voice was soft. “After all you weren’t the only one.”

Charlie’s head shot up and he looked right at Barry.

“Yeah. Me too.”

Charlie’s jaw dropped. Barry had been his best friend during those years. They were the same age and even though they played best friends on the show, they became that in real life. Until Charlie began to realize what he felt was more than just friendship as the show was ending. Rather than face losing his friend he’d cut ties with him instead.

“I ….” Charlie stood there stunned.

“Well, you never answered my letters. After a while I thought you just hated me, It was rough losing my best friend at that age.”

Before Charlie could say anything the blonde woman was back.

“I see you found each other. Alright Banson and the,” she paused and glanced at her notepad. “Oh, I mean Benson and the Space Travelers will be taking the stage in about five minutes. The producer and a few of the designers are also here.” She looked up and smiled.

“Thank you,” Charlie said quietly.

“Come on, Charlie. I guess we should get with the others. People have been hoping to see you for years.” Barry smiled at Charlie. “I know I am not the only one.”

“We have some catching up to do.”

“Yes, yes we do.” Barry walked over and hugged his old friend. “Welcome to the reunion, Charlie.”

Based of the prompt - "I thought you were dead!"

So that is my story of Charlie. What did you think? Did Reunion make sense? I'd love to know what you thought. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The reunion was fantastic! I loved the child star aspect and it didn't go too far. There was a kind of reticence and reserve that made the pacing and cadence work really well. Wonderful vignette. I wonder about these guys. I'm curious. Great job Wayne!

Link to comment
On 03/09/2015 01:06 AM, Cole Matthews said:
The reunion was fantastic! I loved the child star aspect and it didn't go too far. There was a kind of reticence and reserve that made the pacing and cadence work really well. Wonderful vignette. I wonder about these guys. I'm curious. Great job Wayne!
Glad you liked it Cole. Don't know why but my mind went immediately to a star that had been marked as dead but wasn't. Then I sort of back filled the story. Glad it worked. Thanks for commenting. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

It's funny how the prompts inspire people. I had the same idea to use a reunion as the setting, but mine is a high school reunion. I even had the same exact second line, but I changed it so our stories weren't too similar. Great minds, right? lol I really enjoyed this, Wayne. I hope that they were able to rekindle their friendship. I could picture everything very clearly. :)

Link to comment
On 03/10/2015 12:37 AM, Valkyrie said:
It's funny how the prompts inspire people. I had the same idea to use a reunion as the setting, but mine is a high school reunion. I even had the same exact second line, but I changed it so our stories weren't too similar. Great minds, right? lol I really enjoyed this, Wayne. I hope that they were able to rekindle their friendship. I could picture everything very clearly. :)
Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow of consciousness. I'm glad you enjoyed my take on it. It is only because you commented that I even realized I hadn't posted this in the thread. Need to correct that. I just kept remembering the Kroft Super Show from when I was a kid and all the live action things that used to be on for kids every Saturday morning. Things sure have changed over time.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..