Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,270 Words
  • 1,349 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 38. John's Choice - Prompt 452 (Part 2)

John's vacation is over and he is spending the night with his brother and sister-in-law. Unexpectedly, Camden is brought up and John relieves the time spent with him. What does the future hold for Camden and John? Are they meant to be or was it just a one of those things?

“So, tell me all the details!” Lisa leaned forward on the couch and made space as John looked at her.

“Details?” John’s mind raced as he tried his best to keep himself from giving anything away.

“Yeah, from your trip. You know your brother is going to ask all the questions as soon as he comes in with the burgers.”

John had barely walked in his door from his vacation when Craig had called and invited him over for dinner. Since his baby brother had gotten married to Lisa, he had been pushing for John to find someone and get married as well.

“Wait did you meet someone while you were on vacation?” Lisa’s face became red as she stared at John. “Oh my God! You did. Spill, before I call Craig in so he can get all the facts.”

“I didn’t meet someone.” John turned to face the back window, so he could see his brother and tried to ignore Lisa.

“Right. I sooo believe you, not!” Lisa got off the couch and walked into the kitchen. “If you aren’t going to tell me about him, you might as well come in here and help me get the rest of the meal ready.”

John took a deep a breath and followed Lisa into the kitchen. He wasn’t sure he was ready to talk about Camden. Hell, just thinking of him made John blush.

***

They had left Salem and gone to his hotel room. Harbor Light Inn made sure to inform him that if two people were staying he would be charged more. John simply shrugged and led Camden up to the room.

“Are you sure?” Camden paused outside the room and bit his bottom lip. “I still don’t want to cause you any trouble. I am sure I can find a place to stay.”

“Camden, it is late as it is. You don’t have a lot of money left, and this room is paid for. I have a spare bed, a full suite, a shower, and all you could need. Trust me, it isn’t any problem.”

Camden blushed and nodded as John opened the door and let him.

“Pick a bed, set yourself up, and go grab a shower first. We have to be out by eleven am and they serve a continental breakfast from seven to ten am.”

“Thanks.” Camden went for the bed closest to the window and set his bag down. He began to dig through it pulling out a few pieces.

“You okay?” John had caught the concerned look on Camden’s face as he was digging through the bag.

“I guess. I just didn’t realize I was this low on clean clothes. I’ll have to find a cheap place to do some laundry once I head north again.”

John nodded. He knew there wasn’t a laundry service here. He would do a little check on his computer once Camden headed in to take his shower. It was nice to help someone out.

***

“Could you help me out?” Craig stood trying to juggle platters and the door.

“Coming, bro. Geez, you just had to ask.” John smiled as he opened the door and took one of the platters out of his brother’s hands.

“Well, you looked a little dazed there. Wasn’t sure you even knew I was standing there.”

John blushed and followed his brother into the dining room. Lisa was busy putting on music, so Craig just placed the platter of chicken in the middle. John followed his brother’s example and set his platter of burgers down as well.

“Wasn’t sure what you would want so I made up both.” Craig stood with a smile and waved to one of the seats around the table. “Sit down. I’m sure Lisa will be right back.”

“Thanks. You really didn’t have to go to all this trouble.”

“Trouble?” Lisa came back in and looked between the two brothers. “Who is causing trouble?”

Craig laughed. “No one is causing trouble. John was just saying we didn’t have to do anything for him coming home from vacation.”

“Did he tell you?” Lisa looked at her husband.

“Tell me what?” Craig looked confused.

“He met someone.” Lisa smiled and sat down.

“Oh, did he now?” Craig sat and looked at John. “So, big brother, wanna tell me all about it?”

***

“I know you want to go up to Bangor tomorrow but I found a few things I want to tell you all about.” John stated as Camden came out of the bathroom, John continued to open new windows on his laptop.

“Huh?” Camden paused, confused by the comment.

“Sorry, Camden.” John looked up and blushed as he noted Camden wasn’t dressed yet, wrapped in the hotel’s robe, and was still drying his hair.

“Um, no problem. What are you going on about?” Camden wrapped the towel around his neck and sat down on the bed across from John’s.

“You need to get your clothes done. I found the Sunshine Express Laundry Center in Salem. We can hit there in the morning. While you put the clothes in to wash, we can go down the street and eat at Deb’s Diner.”

Camden sat and looked at John in silence for a moment. “Why are you doing this?”

“Doing what?” John looked up from his notes.

“Helping me. You really don’t know me from Adam. You have no reason to trust or help me. So, why are you doing it?”

John sat back for a moment and looked at Camden. “Because you needed it. Besides, I have the time so it won’t hurt me to help you out. I need the down time and you are showing me that life can be fun.”

“You have a strange definition of fun.” Camden shook his head. “Well if we are going to be together for a while call me Cam. Everyone else does.”

“Okay, Cam.”

“What else are you doing?” Cam reached over and began to slip on a pair of boxers under the robe.

“Just putting together a bunch of stuff to see and do between here and Bangor.”

Cam laughed.

“Sorry. Habit of mine.”

“Go shower.”

“I’ll be right back.”

***

“So don’t stop. Get back to what was happening,” Lisa announced as she finished her burger.

“Well? Did you and Cam,” Craig stopped and looked as his brother as he wagged his eyebrow.

“God, you two are worse than a number of other people I could name!” John looked back and forth between them.

“Oh, stop playing the innocent virgin. Did you have sex with him or not?” Craig leaned forward in his chair.

“No! Damn it. It wasn’t like that. I mean, he is cute and all, but hell I’m a lot older than he is.” John seemed to struggle for words.

“Whoa! I’m kidding John. Relax. I know you wouldn’t take advantage of anyone.” Craig held his hands up.

“I can’t remember ever seeing you this way,” Lisa stated as she looked at her brother-in-law.

John blushed.

“You like him,” Craig commented as he watched his brother.

***

“You like my ideas for the trip to Bangor. It is only four hours, but I figured I didn’t want you to miss anything since you weren’t hiking or going by train.” John sat behind the wheel as they pulled away from the Laundromat.

“Yeah. I appreciate all the effort you put into it. This should be a great trip.” Cam smiled as he put his bag of clean clothes into the back seat.

“I just like a lot of cheesy things. I couldn’t resist adding the visit to Paul Bunyan’s statue. Plus, there are notes that might allow us to see Stephen King’s home. I wouldn’t want to bother him, but the chance to see where he lives and writes all those stories.”

Cam laughed as John babbled along. Their drive was slow, but filled with stories and laughter. That would spill over to the week they spent together in Bangor.

***

John wanted to laugh at his brother’s suggestion, but the more he thought about it the more he knew his brother was right.

“Why don’t you call him?” Lisa sat looking at John.

“Tell me you got his phone number? That and his last name. You haven’t mentioned it, has he, Lisa?”

“No,” Lisa said slowly. “He hasn’t said what Cam’s last name is, or how old he is either.”

John sat for a moment before he spoke. “His name is Camden Price. He’s from Indianapolis.”

Craig looked at his brother and waited.

“What?” John asked as he stared at his brother.

“What haven’t you said? This isn’t like you, John.” Craig cocked his head and shook it before he spoke again. “Usually, you smile and tell all. This time you’re so quiet. What’s so different about Camden? Is he underage?”

John shot his brother a look. “Come on. You know me better than that. He is definitely legal.”

Craig smiled. “Then it can’t be so bad. What’s wrong?

“Craig, you know how you were when you met, Lisa?”

Craig looked at his wife and nodded.

“I think he’s the one.”

“Really?” Lisa smiled as she looked at John.

“Then call him!” Craig nearly shouted at his brother.

“I left him at the airport in Bangor yesterday morning then drove straight home. I mean I was barely awake when you called. I—“ John broke off as he looked at his brother.

Craig stood up and crossed to his wife, leading her out of the room. In the doorway, he turned to face John. “Call him, now!”

John sat for a moment and then took out his cell phone. He stared at it for a moment before he looked up Cam’s name and hit dial. He nearly hung up as it dialed.

“John? Is that you?” Cam’s voice came through the phone like an unexpected present.

“Hi, Cam.”

“I was just thinking of you.”

“Have you got time to talk? I … I sort of want to ask you something.” John nervously wiped one hand against his pants leg.

“Oh. I was going to ask you something, too. Sure, I have all sorts of time to talk to you.”

John smiled. “How do you feel about a long distance relationship?”

There was silence for a moment.

John nearly hung up the phone before he heard Cam speak.

“I don’t know about long distance. Before you say anything more, how do you feel about putting up a college student who is applying to begin out there in January?”

“January? Are you sure?”

“Could be a bit later. Depends on the schools. I’m applying to transfer to three different schools out there that have my major. I started classes today, so January is the earliest I could go, but I really need my scholarship so will have to see. Does that make sense to you?”

John nearly dropped the phone, he was so excited. “I’ll help you in any way I can.”

“I know you will. These classes are shorter, but more intense. Sounds like my life lately. Anyway, I’m trying to tell my parents about us and explain it all.”

“Are you sure? I mean, I know I’m older and a guy so this is going to be different for them.”

“Well,” Cam began sort of softly. “Mom was hoping I would meet a nice girl and want to get married. Dad was just hoping I would get laid.”

John laughed. “Well you did meet someone, however, it wasn’t a girl. Sorry, but I didn’t do what your father wanted either.”

“Shut up!” Cam laughed into the phone. “Oh God! I don’t know what I’m going to tell them.”

“Will they have a problem if you come out?”

“I doubt it. They have gay friends. It is just that I’ve never had a girlfriend, never mind a boyfriend. I don’t know which is going to surprise them more. The fact I like a guy, or that you are nearly their age.”

John swallowed hard.

“Just promise me you won’t go out tomorrow and replace me.” Cam’s voice pleaded.

“Hey, Cam, you should realize by now I am not the kind to make quick decisions.”

Cam laughed hard. “Please, you took me to dinner hours after meeting me, and then invited me to take the spare bed. You always seem to make quick decisions.”

“Cam, honestly, I’m not going anywhere.”

“I still can’t believe the nerd is getting the hunk.”

“Would you stop? You’re the hunk.” John smiled as he pictured Cam. “I’m just the lucky one to find you.”

“I have to go. Dinner is nearly ready, Mom’s calling for me, and they are both trying to find out about my trip.”

“When would you like me to fly out? I really should meet your parents.” John bit his bottom lip.

“I want you here for Thanksgiving. Christmas I’ll spend with my parents, but New Years I want to be with you.” Cam paused and sighed. “I hope you are okay with all this.”

“I should be the one asking you that Cam.”

“We will figure this out, John. I am just glad we met. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Bye, Cam.”

“Bye …. Love.”

John smiled as he heard the phone go silent. Somehow his whole life was changed because a younger man knocked him off his feet with his knapsack. Life was strange. Tomorrow he would have to call Natalia and let her know he would need more time off from work. Seems his life was finally going to have a personal side.

So that is the end of that story. Based off prompt 452 which asked you to start the story with the line - "So, tell me all the details!"

What did you think of Cam and John? Did the story end as you hoped it would? Would love to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to read.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice. I enjoyed it. Nice to see someone helping with no real desire for some kind of repayment.
And it was nice to see them get along, to meet on another level as well.
I thought the flashbacks and present day vignettes worked very well also.
nice job
tim

Link to comment
On 10/19/2015 05:14 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice. I enjoyed it. Nice to see someone helping with no real desire for some kind of repayment.

And it was nice to see them get along, to meet on another level as well.

I thought the flashbacks and present day vignettes worked very well also.

nice job

tim

Thanks Tim. So many asked last time for me to continue the story and this worked well as way to come back to it. Glad you enjoyed it.

Link to comment

Yes, I liked the ending and think John does indeed have a private life. I would love to hear what Natalia has to say when John does ask for more time off!

Link to comment
On 10/19/2015 10:56 AM, avidreadr said:

Yes, I liked the ending and think John does indeed have a private life. I would love to hear what Natalia has to say when John does ask for more time off!

John has learned there is more to life than just work. Doing something about it is scary but might be very rewarding. Thanks for commenting Avid.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..