Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,302 Words
  • 2,049 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 14. Bobby makes a bet - Prompt 319

Bobby and Ed are brother-in-laws, but Ed is always seen as the perfect host and when Bobby ends up having a bit too much to drink he makes a bet where he hopes to win and embarrass Ed. Time will tell who wins this one.

“Here is to a nice meal.” Will lifted his glass in a toast to the other guests and to Ed, the host.

“Here, here,” came the assorted voices from around the small table.

Ed stood smiling as he waved his guests to sit. “It is just a small meal. I’ve made chicken la orange, a mixed green salad with watermelon and blueberries, cuscus, and fresh bread.”

Lisa was busy taking some of the salad out of the bowl and turned to Ed. “Please, tell me you made your cheesecake for dessert.”

Rick and Will nodded enthusiastically beside Lisa.

Ed smiled and took his chair. Before he could say a word though, he heard laughter coming from the other side of the table.

Bobby was snorting. “Come on now. You know my cheesecake is better.”

All talk stopped as seven heads turned to look at Bobby.

“What? You know I can cook too!”

“So you keep saying.” Lisa shook her head and took some of the chicken off the platter.

“We were having a nice meal, Bobby. Please don’t start.” Alice, Bobby’s wife, handed him a plate and smiled at Ed.

“Fine. You all can be the judge. Next week we will have a bar-b-que at my place. Ed can bring his cheesecake and I’ll make mine. That should settle this about who can cook or not.”

Alice blushed and refused to look at anyone at the table while Bobby took a deep swig off his beer.

“Do it.” Dennis stared at Ed. “He is always going on about how he can cook, clean, build, and everything else better than the rest of us. Ed, you didn’t run a restaurant for ten years without learning a few things. Hell your dinner parties are always full of good food and you know your way around the kitchen.”

Ed sat quietly in his seat. He seen most of the small gathering were looking from him to Bobby. His brother-in-law was always mouthing off. He knew Alice wanted to die, but maybe it was time to shut him up.

“Well I can agree to that, but what will the prize be?”

Ed watched as his sister glanced from him to her husband. Bobby smiled widely.

“This should be interesting,” muttered Rick. He took a slice of the bread out of one of the baskets and sat back.

“I have a suggestion, if you care to hear it?” Jeanette sat forward and looked at both men.

“Go on, Jean. You seem to have this thought out already.” Bobby looked across the table at her and waited.

“I’m willing to listen too.” Ed just glanced around at his dinner party seeing how everyone seemed to be waiting for something to happen.

“Well we are all friends but Ed usually is the one to host our parties. Every two weeks we end up here almost all year long. How about the loser takes that over?” Jeanette smiled as she looked at the two of them.

“That works for him if he wins, but what about me? I mean he just continues on as usual if he loses. What if I win?” Bobby leaned forward and looked at Jeanette.

“Can’t you just be gracious for once?” hissed Alice at her husband.

Bobby got up and went for another beer.

“Your husband can be a jerk sometimes, Alice.” Will shook his head.

“No. I think he was correct. He should get something he wants if he wins.” Ed spoke softly as he looked at Alice.

“Don’t you dare!” Alice stared at her brother with sudden dawning awareness. “He’d never let you live it down.”

Ed smiled. “I think it should be part of the contest. Loser will dress and act as a butler for each event this summer. In addition if Bobby wins, I’ll do it in a pair of shorts made to look like a tux.”

“Done!” Bobby had entered the patio again and heard the last part of the conversation. He smiled wickedly and took another swallow of his new beer.

***

The following week found everyone gathered, but this time at Bobby and Alice’s house. Will had brought his husband this time, and Jeanette brought her new boyfriend, but the others were all from the party last week.

“I knew cooking on the grill would make everyone happy,” Bobby announced as he looked over at Ed.

“Burgers, hot dogs, and chicken are always something people will eat,” Alice announced as she brought her husband more rolls. ”Just try not to burn anything.”

Bobby shot his wife a look and turned back to his grill.

Ed wandered around talking to everyone and trying not to stare at Bobby. He really hoped he won because it would be nice to see Bobby put in his place for once.

It seemed the night had gone along just fine, everyone was chatting, eating and just having a good time. Then Bobby turned off his grill and made his way to the center of the room.

“Glad everyone could make it. Please take a seat. Ed and I are going to plate our desserts and then Alice will bring them out to you. I made sure every spot has a little paper with a blue or red square. The plate will be blue or red. Just check the one you liked best.”

Ed and Bobby left and went inside.

“Sorry, everyone. Bobby gets a little competitive about things.” Alice smiled wanly and headed in after them.

It seemed but a few moments before Alice started coming out with a platter. She gave each person two slices of cake, one on a blue plate and one on a red.

The blue plate had a cheesecake with blueberry compote on top. The red plate had a chocolate marble cheesecake with a dipped chocolate cherry on top.

Before long everyone had both slices and there was soft mummers heard all around as people discussed which one they liked.

“You didn’t make your usual cheesecake, Ed.” Bobby looked at him and shook his head.

“Nope. Figured I would try something else. You know I hate to keep servicing up the same stuff.”

“Hand dipped cherries? Damn you really weren’t kidding were you.”

“You want me to go around in nothing but a pair of shorts and think I will go easy on you?” Ed looked at Bobby and shook his head. “Besides it means I get to save on food and all if I win. I might even go on vacation.”

“Bastard.”

Ed laughed.

A moment later, Alice came into the kitchen where the two men sat on stools waiting.

“I just have to collect the cards so you two should come out.”

“Good luck,” Ed smiled and shook Bobby’s hand.

“Don’t need it, but thanks anyway.”

The two walked out as the last ticket was handed to Alice.

“Sit down. I’ll count the votes.”

Everyone sat waiting to see who would win.

“There were seven votes naturally. The winner got five of them.” Alice turned and looked at her brother and her husband. “The winner is the red plate.”

Ed smiled and stood up. “Thank you. Guess we are all back here in two weeks for Will’s anniversary.”

Bobby stood up slowly and shook Ed’s hand. “Thought I had you.”

Ed winked. “Not if I have to dress up so you can take pictures and make me miserable.”

Bobby laughed.

“Oh don’t worry. I found the shorts in his size.” Alice stood beside her husband. “I think it is only fair. Besides I’m sure his golf buddies will find it hysterical.”

“You wouldn’t dare, Alice.” Bobby looked wide eyed at his wife.

“You aren’t the only one who can bust balls, dear.” Alice smiled and walked away leaving both men staring at her back.

Your friend has always had a big mouth, but last week he just went to far. He said he could out do you, in one of the things you are best known for in front of everyone you both know. To shut him up, you accepted the bet. What did you two bet on, who won, and what was the bet? - So that was the original prompt. What did you think? Did you enjoy it? Comments are always welcome. Thank you for reading.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Mmmmmm....... I love cheesecake :) Nice story, I enjoyed it. :)

Link to comment
On 05/18/2014 02:17 AM, Valkyrie said:
Mmmmmm....... I love cheesecake :) Nice story, I enjoyed it. :)
I do as well. Cheesecake is food nirvana.
Link to comment
On 05/18/2014 12:00 PM, DynoReads said:
Nice story...short tux though? Seems an odd.consequnece
lol. Actually I based it off a bet a couple of friends had. The damn shorts look like a tux with little tails in the back and a tie on the crotch. Was funny as hell to see the loser in, but wouldn't have wanted to be in the bet they had either.
Link to comment
On 05/18/2014 02:23 PM, Ron said:
I don't like this game! :no: But I do like your story, Wayne! :yes:
Glad you liked it Ron. I never know where the prompts will take me. :)
Link to comment
On 05/29/2014 01:52 AM, Suvitar said:
The right man won and now I´m so hungry and there´s no cheesecake :huh:
How sad. :( I usually keep cheesecake in the fridge, if I don't buy blueberry cheesecake ice cream from the place around the corner. Thanks for reading and commenting, Suvitar.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..