Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 631 Words
  • 1,125 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 18. A Rainy Day for Hilda - Prompt 342

Hilda is home alone as a storm is approaching, except for her cat. However, when your cat's name is Jinx can you have anything other than problems during a storm?

Hilda stepped out onto the sun warmed deck and stretched. She felt the breeze and could smell the scent of rain in the air. The garden flag that her mother had given her flapped in the wind, reminding her that she still needed to give her a call and thank her for gift.

She looked to the west and could see the dark clouds that were fast approaching.

“Damn, I’ll never make it to town and back before that storm hits,” she muttered as she slipped on her shoes.

She turned to go back into the house just as her cat, Jinx slipped out.

“Come on Jinx. It is going to rain and you hate to be outside.”

The cat paused, looked at Hilda and then walked over to the flowers growing by her deck and lay down.

“Fine, just don’t come crying to me if you get soaked.”

Hilda headed inside to her kitchen. She grabbed a cup out of the cabinet and filled it with water. She had just started the Kuerig when the first rumbles of thunder could be heard. She glanced out the window and could see what looked like a dark wave rabidly approaching. She hurried back to the kitchen door and opened it.

“Jinx? Jinx, where are you?”

The cat wasn’t by the flowers and more so Hilda hurried out into the yard to see if she could spot him before the storm came. As she looked under the Forsythia bush, the rain began to fall hard. Before she was entirely soaked she ran for the house. She barely made it through the open door when lightning struck the yard. A moment later the power in the house went out.

“Great. Better call the power company and let them know. “

Hilda dug through her bag and found her cell phone. The kitchen was dark and when she finally turned the phone on, it seemed to be the only light in her small room. She was about to dial when there was a thud alongside her, scaring her and she dropped the phone onto her stone floor, where it shattered.

Turning quickly Hilda found Jinx sitting on the counter next to her.

“Thank you so much Jinx.” Hilda bent down only to find that the screen had cracked so badly that you couldn’t use it any more. “Jinx, you have made me the proud owner of a broken cell phone.”

Jinx sat back and licked his paw to clean his face.

“Yeah, I see how worried it has you too.”

Hilda shook her head. She opened her junk drawer and dug through it finding her flashlight, which luckily was still working. She walked to the front of the house to see what kind of shape the front yard was in with all the wind. So far she didn’t see any broken limbs but with the way the rain was falling it was hard to see ten feet out, and the wind was just whipping the trees back and forth.

“Great.” Hilda said to no one in particular as she wandered back to the kitchen. She sat down and hoped the power would come back on soon. She looked at the kitchen table and spotted the letter from Tommy. He had sent her his cd for her birthday with that note. She wished he had come back instead of just sending the gift. She missed best friend, but knew since his first album had been released he needed to tour and try to get the music listened to. She looked at the song list on it and smiled as she read the last song title – Friends with Hilda. When the power came back she was going to have to listen to Tommy’s music.

So the prompt asked that you use the following in a story – a flag, flowers, a letter, a broken cell phone, and a cd. So what do you think? Thanks for reading. Comments, as always, are welcomed.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 07/27/2014 01:59 AM, Valkyrie said:
Jinx really lived up to his name! :P Cute story. :)
Cats are curious creatures. Glad you liked the story though.
Link to comment
On 07/27/2014 07:18 AM, Slytherin said:
Jinx was a very suitable name for the cat :lol: I agree with vlkyrie, cute story :)
I have never met a cat that didn't cause some sort of issue and then look at you like you were the reason it happened. A cat named Jinx can't help but to live up to his name. Meow. :gikkle:
Link to comment
On 07/29/2014 12:16 AM, joann414 said:
Cute story with a touch of warm personal feelings. Enjoyed it a lot Wayne. Expecially Jinx :P
I seem to have a love hate relationship with cats. They seem to love me, but I seem to fall over them. :lol: Glad you enjoyed the prompt Joann.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..