Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,299 Words
  • 1,220 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 25. Barney's Birthday Lesson - Prompt 379

Barney has a tendency to do as he wishes, even when others tell him no. That doesn't always work out for him. What happens after he ignores his husband's wishes and tosses a birthday party and then it goes horribly wrong? When it is now Barney's birthday will Grant take revenge or give Barney the birthday he should have had?

When on earth was I ever going to learn my lesson? I mean honestly, sometimes I get an idea in my head and without asking I just go for it. Even if I have been told “no” it rarely if ever deters me. However, in my defense, I never had such a massive mess as Barney’s birthday. Christ, which was a party to end all parties in the worst possible way.

“So your birthday is next week. I’ll have everything all set.” I smiled and leaned over to kiss Barney.

“No. Listen to me. I …Do …Not …Want …A …Party. Do you understand me, Grant?”

I sat back dejected.

“Tell me you don’t have one planned! I know you mean well, but I just want a nice quiet dinner. I just want the two of us, a nice meal, and maybe a movie on TV. With everything we have had to deal with lately I just want to unwind. Okay?”

I shook my head and didn’t say a word. I knew if I opened my mouth it would all spill out.

“Thank God. I love you; babe, but sometimes you don’t know when to stop.”

I’ve been married to Grant for six years. You would think I would know him, or that I would recognize the truth when spoken by him. However, I am a stubborn idiot sometimes and just won’t listen. I called every friend we had, pulled out all the stops and didn’t even realize when it went from a small intimate gathering to, well, a disaster waiting for me to ignite it.

The day of Grant’s birthday it was mid-September, a little cool but still acceptable to barbeque and have people outside and in. What I hadn’t counted on was some of those invited. Grant’s sister, Marissa, had just broken up with her husband, came with her three kids, and proceeded to get crocked hours before the party even began. Douglas, a joint friend and all around letch arrived and began to hit on Marissa while he was supposed to be helping me with the food. People began to arrive and it wasn’t long till the house and yard were packed with more people than I thought would arrive. In fact, things were so disorganized I didn’t even realize Grant had arrived at his party until he grabbed my arm.

“Honey,” he hissed at me between a clenched jaw. “Why is everyone here?”

“Happy birthday,” I meekly told him as his nephew ran over and promptly threw up all over his pants.

“Oh Grant. I am so sorry.” I went to move when all hell broke loose.

Evidently, Douglas thought he was getting somewhere with a drunk Marissa, grabbed her breast and she blew up, slamming her fists into him. In an attempt to get away he backed up, crashed into the grill, knocked it over, pouring hot coals into the lawn and almost onto other guests and started some leaves on fire. The wonderful birthday bash I had planned ended abruptly, we almost seen our home and friends go up in smoke.

We got the fire out thanks to our lawn hose. People began to leave quickly after that. Luckily, no one had been hurt. Grant hurried and changed and apologized to our guests for the disaster. I kept trying to apologize to him but he kept shaking his head.

“You will pay for this. Just not now,” was all Grant kept telling me through that clenched jaw of his.

After the party it cost us over two thousand dollars in repairs. We had to repair the scorched part of the lawn, the grill was actually broken in the fall off the patio and had to be replaced, and a few of the lights for our yard had been melted as well and needed to be replaced.

I waited every day for Grant to say something, but it seemed he put it behind him. September melted into October and then November. Before you knew it December had arrived and the first snow fall had covered the ground. The only problem was December also meant it was time for my birthday. That made me a nervous wreck.

“Honey, you really don’t need to do anything.” I smiled and sat calmly before my husband, hoping he would just let it all go.

“Do? Do what, babe?”

“Nothing.” I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Tomorrow is your birthday babe. Trust me. I know exactly what you need.” Grant smiled and finished his coffee.

“Grant, um, honest you don’t have to do anything.”

Grant smiled and crossed his arms. “But babe, it’s your birthday. Besides, Barney, I know how much you love parties.”

Before I could say another word he was out the door. I was worried just what was going to happen. My panic got worse that night.

“Hi hon. I'm sorry. Really I'm stuck with this case at work. Won’t be home to late, if I don’t just stay at the office.”

“I figured we would have dinner together tonight, Grant.”

“Look, I will work to get everything done tonight so I am free for your birthday tomorrow. Night babe.”

The next moment I was hearing dial tone.

The day seemed to crawl. I watched the clock and I swear at times the clock went backwards to make my life harder. I called Grant for lunch, but got no answer. I took a shower, changed clothes, and cleaned the house. Then sat and watched I have no idea what on television. It was four pm when I finally noticed the clock again and realized I was sweating like a pig. I had no idea what my husband had planned for my birthday but knew whatever he did I deserved.

“Damn it. I am acting like a baby.” I hated when I talked to myself, but I stood up and went to take another shower. I’d barely climbed under the hot water when suddenly I felt a hand on my back and turned to find Grant.

“Hey, handsome. Happy birthday.” Grant leaned in and kissed me.

I could have drowned under the water as long as Grant was there with me. We kissed, made out and showered before finally climbing out. I hoped to get him right to bed; however, that wasn’t what he had planned.

“Come on, Barney, get your ass dressed. We are going out for dinner.”

I swallowed and nodded. I figured this is where we would run into everyone. I hoped it wouldn’t be a repeat of his disastrous birthday party.

Dinner ended up being a quiet meal for two at Chateau De Amor. It was a French-Italian restaurant on the other side of town that we normally couldn’t afford. The food was excellent, but I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall.

“Enjoying yourself?” Grant smiled over his wine glass and winked at me.

“Um … what else do you have planned?” I should have been able to enjoy it but couldn’t seem to keep the edge out of my voice.

“Oh,” Grant said dejectedly. He pouted and looked down at his plate.

“It’s just … well; I just kept expecting you to drop a bomb shell on me.” I nearly whispered that to him in shame.

Grant began to laugh. “Is that what has you upset? I thought I had done something wrong. This is it, babe. No more surprises or nothing mean. It's just a nice quiet dinner for the two of us and then a movie at home.”

When we got home I opened his birthday card to me. Inside was a simple note that touched my heart.

Barney,

Just remember the best gifts are often the times spent alone with you. I love you.

Always,

Grant.

So that is my tale of Grant and Barney. It was based off the prompt 379 - Four months ago your partner had their birthday. They told you they didn’t want a party, just a nice dinner out. Of course you decided you knew better and huge party was put together that they absolutely hated. They smiled sweetly and through clenched teeth told you that you would pay for this disaster. Tomorrow is your birthday. Will it be what you expected or a case of birthday revenge?
So what did you think? I'd love to hear your comments and thank you so much for reading.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Sometimes what we do to ourselves is so much worse than what others do. This was a lovely, sweet tale. :)

Link to comment
On 12/22/2014 02:26 PM, avidreadr said:
I enjoyed it. Would love to read more vignettes about these two.
Glad you liked it Avid. Just trying to fit in some writing again.
Link to comment
On 12/22/2014 01:11 PM, Valkyrie said:
Sometimes what we do to ourselves is so much worse than what others do. This was a lovely, sweet tale. :)
Yes, sometimes what we imagine is worse than anything that can be done to us. Glad you enjoyed it Valkyrie.
Link to comment

I loved this. Revenge and love are such powerful bed partners, in our own minds. The tension you invoked was palpable. Fantastic portrayal of the fears, and considerations, of a relationship. Great job Wyane and thank you for sharing! Great guys too! :)

Link to comment

At least Grant got the nice quiet birthday dinner he wanted, even if it wasn't on his own birthday. And I hoped Barney finally learned the lesson about listening to his husband's wishes. :rolleyes:

(In case you're in doubt I'm like Grant :lol: )

Link to comment

Nice story but I'm confused. Maybe it's just me and if it is, oops! :o But is Grant and Barney's names switched around somewhere in the middle? I thought Grant was the one that didn't listen and Barney was the one who wanted a quiet evening.

Link to comment
On 12/22/2014 05:00 PM, Cole Matthews said:
I loved this. Revenge and love are such powerful bed partners, in our own minds. The tension you invoked was palpable. Fantastic portrayal of the fears, and considerations, of a relationship. Great job Wyane and thank you for sharing! Great guys too! :)
Thanks Cole. I enjoy doing the short scenes and the fun you can have in a prompt. Glad it came out well and was easily understood.
Link to comment
On 12/22/2014 07:43 PM, Timothy M. said:
At least Grant got the nice quiet birthday dinner he wanted, even if it wasn't on his own birthday. And I hoped Barney finally learned the lesson about listening to his husband's wishes. :rolleyes:

(In case you're in doubt I'm like Grant :lol: )

So you like the quiet, easy, no fuss sort of dinner that Grant enjoys, not the over blown parties of Barney? Hmm. Somehow I see you as more of a Barney. Sort of silent but with a wild side. :lol: Thanks for the comment Tim.
Link to comment
On 12/23/2014 05:42 AM, Rook Lee said:
Nice story but I'm confused. Maybe it's just me and if it is, oops! :o But is Grant and Barney's names switched around somewhere in the middle? I thought Grant was the one that didn't listen and Barney was the one who wanted a quiet evening.
Grant has wanted nothing but the quiet party. Barney, the man telling the story, is the one who likes to make things big. When it is his turn for the party he fears Grant is going to do to him what he did to Barney, throw a party that ends up a disaster. Instead, Barney gets a very quiet peaceful dinner that is just the two of them together. I hope that makes sense for you now.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..