Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 704 Words
  • 2,049 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 10. Spring Confessions - Prompt 313

Nick has come to have a little talk with his father, but it seems Dad might know his son better than Nick expected.

“Did you say the crocuses were blooming?”

Ray looked up from his computer and faced his son. “Yeah. Finally some signs of spring.”

“You always told me to look for the pussy willows to open and that was a true sign of spring.”

“Oh, so finally paying attention to your old man are you?”

Nick blushed and looked at his feet. “I listen … sometimes.”

Ray laughed out loud and pushed himself away from his desk. “So what brought on the interest in spring? You finally find yourself someone to moon over?”

“Jeez Dad. What am I, a little kid?”

“No.” Ray stopped and looked at his son. His boy resembled his mother more than him. Nick was small like his wife, with the same fine features and dirty blond hair. He had taken to swimming and was thin as a rail. “No, you aren’t a little kid. However, you haven’t shown much of an interest in dating at all. I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to want get into a girl’s pants.”

Nick blushed a deep shade of red that colored his face and his neck. He kept looking at the floor.

“Maybe, I’m wrong here.” Ray paused as he watched his son squirm uncomfortably before him. “Maybe you are like your Uncle Rich and just haven’t found the right man yet.”

Ray watched as his son’s shoulder’s nearly crumbled before him.

“You know it doesn’t matter to me either way son. I just want you to be happy. Besides, your sister and older brother are pretty much working on making me a grandfather already. I don’t need you to worry that you aren’t living up to that standard.”

Nick giggled and tried not look up.

Ray walked over and hugged his son.

Nick hugged his father back and tried to slip away, but his father didn’t let go so quickly.

“So why are you so interested in the crocus and spring?”

“Um, spring dance is coming up. I was … asked out.”

“Hmm. Are you going to make me guess by who are you going to tell me?”

“Sam.”

Ray stepped back and waited for his son to look him in the eye.

“Sam Western, Mrs. Western’s daughter or Sam Christopher, Mr. Christopher’s son?”

“Christopher.”

“Okay. So is he picking you up or do you two need a driver?”

“Dad!”

“Don’t dad me. You don’t have a license and it is too far for you to walk. So either, he is picking you up or I am taking you both? You know you have a curfew.”

Nick stood there biting his bottom lip and shoving his hands into his pockets.

“Spill it Nick. You know you are horrible with secrets.” Ray rolled his eyes and waited for Nick to tell him what was wrong.

“His dad is going to kill him.”

“Why?”

“Cause his father doesn’t know.” Nick nearly whispered this to his father.

“Know he is gay?” Ray tried to keep his voice even so his son wouldn't get spooked.

“Yeah.”

“Why would that be a problem?”

“Cause not everyone is like you and mom.” Nick hugged himself and looked back at the floor.

“Do you want me to talk to him?”

“Oh, God! No. Please, Dad, let mom do it.”

Ray shook his head. Unlike his petite wife and son, Ray was a mountain of a man. He was just over six foot four and solid as a rock. Being a cop with a busy family kept him in shape. Didn’t hurt that there were only five men working in the county and there was little in the way of crime other than the occasional drunk driver. However, whenever Ray walked into a situation it was usually stopped before he reached the people involved.

“Fine. I’ll let your mother handle this. However, I want you to keep an eye on Sam. If anything happens to him I want you to tell me. Understand.”

“Yeah, I understand.” Nick walked up and hugged his father again. “Thanks for being you, Dad.”

Ray smiled patted his son on the head. For a sixteen year old, his son was really on the way to becoming a good man.

So this was based off the prompt which asked you to use this as the first line -"Did you say the crocuses were blooming?" So what did you think of my little story? Did you like it? Hate it? Let me know what you thought. Comments and critiques are always welcome. If you liked the story feel free to click like.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Oh my" as someone famous would say. This has so much potential. Please, please, please, continue this thought and give us a story. Doesn't have to be long, but the thought can't be lost.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I really enjoyed this :) Nick is very lucky to have a father like that.

Link to comment

Your stories always captivates me from the first word to the last, how do you do that ? Amzing :) I enjoyed this story very much, lucky for Nick to have such a great dad :D

Link to comment

What a way to start a confession. In a way it's very realistic. Didn't we all start a difficult conversation with some silly question to break the ice some time? I might have difficulties to look at crocuses for a time.

Link to comment
On 04/05/2014 01:29 PM, GWood said:
"Oh my" as someone famous would say. This has so much potential. Please, please, please, continue this thought and give us a story. Doesn't have to be long, but the thought can't be lost.
Prompt stories for me usually are short GWood. Every once in a while I come back and expand on one. Who knows. Glad you liked it though.
Link to comment
On 04/06/2014 02:07 AM, Valkyrie said:
I really enjoyed this :) Nick is very lucky to have a father like that.
I never know where a prompt will take me Valkyrie. Glad you liked it. :)
Link to comment
On 04/06/2014 02:06 AM, Slytherin said:
Your stories always captivates me from the first word to the last, how do you do that ? Amzing :) I enjoyed this story very much, lucky for Nick to have such a great dad :D
Aww. Thank you Sly. I'm glad you liked it. :hug:
Link to comment
On 04/06/2014 04:15 AM, aditus said:
What a way to start a confession. In a way it's very realistic. Didn't we all start a difficult conversation with some silly question to break the ice some time? I might have difficulties to look at crocuses for a time.
I like doing slice of life stories and the prompts usually lend themselves to that for me Aditus. My crocus are all coming up now so my yard is full of the little purple and white flowers.
Link to comment

What a nice look into a scene of interaction between a father and his son that should be the norm rather than the exception.

Link to comment
On 04/07/2014 04:55 AM, Ron said:
What a nice look into a scene of interaction between a father and his son that should be the norm rather than the exception.
Yeah. I wanted something simple and sweet for the beginning of spring. Thanks for reading and commenting Ron.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..