Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 954 Words
  • 1,870 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 20. Kristina Gets Her Answers - Prompt 344

Kristina hasn't spent much time with her sister or niece. She has secrets she has been trying to keep, but a day spent with Misty makes her realize the things she has been missing out on.

“Why didn’t you just tell me that?” Kristina looked at the young child standing before her, trying not get upset.

“Cause you didn’t ask me.”

Kristina just shook her head and counted to ten before she faced the child again.

“Misty if you need to use the bathroom you have to tell me. I can’t guess when you do.”

“Oh, Okay. Well, I don’t need to go any more.”

Kristina sighed and took Misty by the hand and led her to the bathroom. All she could think of was how her sister begged her to take Misty for the day.

“It’ll be good for you and Misty to bond. I mean she never gets to see you and you have no idea about the joys of motherhood.” Alicia leaned against the counter, her belly made her dress look more like a mountain with the odd patterns it had on it. “Besides, I could use a few hours to finish cleaning up and rest a bit. I mean,” and Alicia placed her hand protectively over her baby bump, “number two will be here within a month.”

“You know I don’t know much about babies. Besides, Misty is four. What do I know about four year olds?”

“The same thing you know about infants, not much.” Alicia looked at her sister and shook her head. “This is exactly why you need to spend some time with your niece.”

“Just tell me she is potty trained.”

Alicia bit her lip. “Mostly.”

“Mostly? What the hell does that mean?”

“It means if you ask her, she will go. If she has to go and you don’t ask her, well she goes in the diaper.”

“Eww.” Kristina looked at her sister in horror.

“Look, just take her to the park. You can get some fresh air and she can wander around. It will tire her out and she will sleep all afternoon then.”

Kristina nodded and found herself agreeing to take her four year old niece for a few hours, which is how she ended up trying to find the bathroom so she could change Misty.

“This is so not what I was expecting,” she mumbled as she finally found the bathroom with a changing station. At least Misty was good about the change. Of course it took Kristina three tries never having changed a child before.

“Alright, kiddo. You are all cleaned up. Now how about a little lunch?”

“Burger.” Misty looked up and smiled.

“You want a burger?”

Misty nodded and held out her arms to be carried.

Kristina leaned down and picked up Misty. For a little child she seemed to weigh a hell of a lot, even though her niece was a thin little thing.

She found the food cart and nearly had a heart attack when she noted that a burger would be nine bucks. Shaking her head she carried Misty to the car and drove till she found a place she could get food for both of them. Afterwards she drove them back to Alicia’s house.

“Mommy, mommy, mommy,” Misty called the second she entered the house.

“In the kitchen, Misty.” Alicia’s voice called from the back of the house.

Kristina slowly followed in Misty’s wake. When she entered the kitchen Misty was already telling Alicia about her day.

“And then we went to the swings and the slide. Aunt Kista, she had to change me. She never asked if I had to make. Then we ate. I got a burger, Mommy.”

“Kristina, Misty, Her name is Kristina.”

“That’s what I said, Kista.”

Kristina just shook her head and smiled at her niece.

“I wanna play with my toys,” Misty said as she ran toward her room.

“She is a handful.” Kristina watched her energetic niece begin gathering her stuff toys. Kristina turned back to her sister, trying to contribute the smile ready to spread across her face.

Alicia smiled and continued to pull vegetables out and chop them up.

“Yeah, but you seemed to have handled it.”

“It wasn’t like I had much choice.” Kristina shook her head.

“So, still no boyfriend?”

Kristina stiffened. This was old ground and she didn’t feel like going over it again.

“Or girlfriend for that matter,” Alicia added as she looked up.

Kristina froze.

“Oh come on now. You avoid the subject so much that you had to expect us to figure it out eventually. You know Pete and I wouldn’t care either way. Mom … well she is her own little bundle of sunshine at the best of times. You know she is just going to go ape, but who cares. She doesn’t speak to either of us.”

“I … I guess I just figured it would cause more issues. Part of why I never really see you or Misty,” Kristina whispered.

“You need to get out more. Misty goes to a day school now that she is potty trained. It is run by Nicole and Valerie. The two are so good for the kids and they are married. I could care less. The two of them are great with children.”

Kristina smiled and looked up. “Well, that is one problem off the table.”

“Good. You shouldn’t worry all the time, kiddo. Part of why I want you around. You are family and god knows our family is strange enough. Besides I don’t want her only role models to be me and … mother.”

Kristina laughed.“Alright. Point taken.”

Alicia nodded and grabbed a slice of cucumber to munch on. She waddled back to the fridge and began to dig out different salad dressings.

Kristina walked over and picked up a wedge of tomato. “So when do you want me to baby sit again?”

So that was the prompt that read - "Why didn't you just tell me that?" So what did you think of the prompt? Comments are always welcome.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm so curious about Kristina and her love life. Is there something going on that she is willing to open up a little more? Hmmmmm! Thanks for sharing.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Very cute story. I can relate very well to her cluelessness with kids. LOL

Link to comment
On 08/17/2014 11:19 AM, Valkyrie said:
Very cute story. I can relate very well to her cluelessness with kids. LOL
Thanks Valkyrie. Just wanted as nice slice of life piece.
Link to comment
On 08/17/2014 05:42 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I'm so curious about Kristina and her love life. Is there something going on that she is willing to open up a little more? Hmmmmm! Thanks for sharing.
The great thing about a prompt tale is you get to try something out. I may come back and flesh this out.
Link to comment
On 08/17/2014 05:42 AM, Slytherin said:
Flashback to when my niece was a younger :P cute little story :)
Yeah young kids have a way of just gushing out everything, and then just wandering off to play while you try to explain. :lol:
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..