Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,353 Words
  • 1,289 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 32. Cancer Costume Ball - Prompt 405

Kevin has tickets to the Cancer Costume Ball and his best friend Mindy gets them costumes to go. However, Mindy picks out a costume that leaves Kevin feeling exposed. When he goes to the Ball and meets someone what will he do?

“You honestly think I would wear something like that?” Kevin stared at Mindy as she held the costume out to him.

“Oh, please. You have worn worse. Besides it is a damn costume party. I don’t think you dressing up as a Roman Centurion is going to be that big a deal. I mean you wear sandals, a sword and this.”

Kevin shook his head. “It looks like a skirt!”

“If you wanted to do drag you should have said so.” Mindy cocked an eyebrow and turned toward the racks again.

“There isn’t a chance in hell I’ll do drag.”

Mindy laughed.

“So if you are getting me into this ridiculous garb, what are you wearing?”

“Well, I figure if I can you to dress this way, I will go as Cleopatra.” Mindy struck a pose. “Think I can pull it off?”

“Didn’t she have two of the most powerful men of her time groveling at her feet?”

Mindy smiled. “Hell, I’d settle for one who isn’t gay, but I have you darling.”

“Bitch,” Kevin said as he took the offered costume.

“Yeah, but don’t worry. I’m your bitch.” Mindy giggled as she gathered her costume together and dragged him out of the racks. “Come on. I don’t want the prop department to know I am plundering their stuff. As long as we don’t ruin them I can return them later and not lose my job.”

“I thought you said this was okay?”

“Kevin, I work as the set designer and half the time as the costume designer for the playhouse. I cleared it with Mary, after all she is the owner, as long as everyone doesn’t find out it is cool. Otherwise the costume house could be cleaned out by everyone who acts or does work here. That would kill it. Besides, do you know how many of these damn things I have to keep recycling for smaller or larger actors?”

Kevin kept his mouth shut and followed Mindy out to her car and put the outfits into her back seat.

“Remember to be at my place tomorrow at four. I’ll get you set up, and then do my own makeup. We are going to make everyone jealous at the Cancer Costume Ball.”

“I just want to go. Since my mother had breast cancer and my grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I just want to help raise money and awareness.” Kevin looked at his shoes. He was trying very hard not to cry.

Mindy walked over and pulled him into a hug. “I know Hun. Sorry. Look, we will go and have a good time. Besides, you need a day out. You might even find someone.”

Kevin looked at Mindy wide-eyed and shook his head. “No. Doubt that will happen.”

Mindy just smiled and climbed into her car. “See you tomorrow.”

 ­- * - * - *

The Cancer Costume Ball was held in the largest hotel in town. The whole bottom floor was taken up and a giant red ribbon made of balloons stood just outside the doorway. Everywhere you looked there were clowns, old time movie stars, some people were dressed as animals, and then others were dressed up in every type of job possible: from cop or nurse, to teacher or hooker.

Kevin was sure nearly the whole town had showed up for the ball. The breeze on his legs made him feel self conscious. He wasn’t use to wearing anything that exposed so much skin since he had been in the car accident two years ago. The scar on his left leg made him feel like he was on display.

“Stop pulling at the leather on that thing or you is going to pull of the belt.” Mindy stared at him for a moment.

“I can’t help it. I wanted pants. This exposes,” he looked down at his legs, “everything I prefer to hide.”

“You can always tell anyone who asks that you got it fighting lions or in a sword fight.” Mindy rolled her eyes. “I swear the scar isn’t as bad as you think it is. Besides, how are you going to get a man if you never show off how great you look?”

“Right and the scar only adds character. Give me a break! Look, let’s just go in, say hello to those we know, and then I can head home knowing I safely donated to a cause I am interested in.”

“I’ll tell you why you can’t go,” Mindy started to lean in close and her eyes were narrow. “Because the winner of the costume ball gets to either keep the money award them or donate it to the cause. I didn’t do all this just so we couldn’t win.”

Kevin sighed.

“Good boy. Now get your ass in there and smile.”

They barely made it through the doors together, handed over their tickets and they were swept away by the crowd. Mindy disappeared into the throngs of people, but Kevin made his way over to the bar.

“So what can I get you, Mr. Anthony?” The bartender asked as Kevin approached.

Kevin stopped and looked around trying to figure out who the bartender was talking to.

“I think he means you.” A deep voice announced from behind Kevin.

Kevin turned to find a man dressed in a Star Trek uniform. He could have passed for William Riker, only he was taller, and had more grey than the actor that played him on TV.

“Oh. Anthony?” Kevin felt lost.

“Well, you are dressed as Marc Antony, aren’t you?” The man smiled and showed off his dimples.

“Oh, I guess so. Friend of mine picked out the costume.” Kevin could feel himself blush as he looked at the tall man again. “So, Riker?”

“Yup. Call me Nev. Everyone does.” Nev leaned forward and offered his hand.

Kevin took his hand and shook it. “Sorry, I’m Kevin.”

“Hate to break up the meeting gents, but do either of you need or drink?” The bartender said with a smile.

“Um, I just need water, please.” Kevin felt around and realized Mindy had his wallet so he couldn’t order anything stronger cause he nothing to pay with.

“I’ll have a coke.”

“Okay gents. Remember anything non-alcoholic is free but if you want a real drink there is a charge.” The bartender smiled and moved off to get their drinks.

Kevin felt better knowing he didn’t have to pay and hadn’t made an ass of himself.

“So, you are here with someone you said. Your girlfriend?”

Kevin started to laugh. “Um, no. A friend of mine is all.”

“Ah. So single ‘til you find the right girl.” Nev watched closely as he reached for the drink the Bartender was setting down.

“No.” Kevin blushed.

“Good.” Nev smiled and took a sip of his drink.

Kevin reached out and grabbed his drink so he could hide behind it. Where did Nev come from?

Mindy came wandering over to join Kevin a moment later. Her white dress clung to her full figure and the makeup she had put on made her really stand out.

“There you are. I swear I got pulled away in the rush of people coming in.”

Kevin nodded and glanced between Mindy and Nev.

“Hmm.” Mindy looked at Kevin and then over at Nev. “Hi, I’m Mindy. I’m a friend of Kevin who seems to have lost his manners.”

“Sorry, I’m Neville. Just call me Nev.”

Mindy stared at him a moment. “Neville as in Longbottom?”

Nev laughed. “No, Neville as in Mayerson. Trust me, not fun growing up with an English name in America.”

“I guess that can’t be a common name.” Mindy shook her head, and then noticed how Kevin was watching Nev. “Well, let me grab a drink and go check on a few things. You two have fun for now.”

Nev smiled and looked over at Kevin. “Thanks, we will.”

Kevin blushed, but followed Nev as he led them toward the tables set up on the edge of the ballroom. It was going to be an interesting evening after all.

Based off prompt 405 which asked you use the first line "You honestly think I would wear something like that?" So thank you for reading. What did you think of Kevin, Mindy, and Neville? Comments are always welcome. :)
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

You are so delightfully cruel when you write prompts. I love them all and always come away wanting more and this one is no different! A Roman centurion and Riker? Very hot, even though I've always had a thing for Picard. ;) lol Great job, Wayne. I hope things work out between these two. :)

Link to comment

I agree with Val, why do you leave us wanting more? :lol:

The scar did go well with the costume, but I hoped Kevin shaved his legs. Ain't never seen hairy calves on any Roman staues. Just nice smooth butts and muscular torsoes. :P

Link to comment
On 04/03/2015 09:29 PM, Timothy M. said:
I agree with Val, why do you leave us wanting more? :lol:

The scar did go well with the costume, but I hoped Kevin shaved his legs. Ain't never seen hairy calves on any Roman staues. Just nice smooth butts and muscular torsoes. :P

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I never know where a prompt story will take me.
Link to comment
On 04/03/2015 05:39 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
I would like to know what happens next. Nice start to a good story.
Thanks for the comment Dolores. Not sure I am going to pick this up but nice to know it was enjoyed.
Link to comment
On 04/03/2015 03:27 PM, Valkyrie said:
You are so delightfully cruel when you write prompts. I love them all and always come away wanting more and this one is no different! A Roman centurion and Riker? Very hot, even though I've always had a thing for Picard. ;) lol Great job, Wayne. I hope things work out between these two. :)
Well I was trying to figure out what sort of outfit someone wouldn't want to wear. The centurion came to mind because it is a lot of exposed skin, which is unusual for a male costume. Riker was an easy add in, I just liked the way those uniforms fit all of them.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..