Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 652 Words
  • 278 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 56. Broken Angel - Prompt 852

Based off the first line - "Oh, damn. Now what?"
Mark is preparing lunch for the family when there is a loud crash.

"Oh, damn. Now what?" Mark turned as Trevor, his Doberman, ran past him and hid under the table. “Thanks, my big protector.”

 

“Daaaaaaaaaaad,” wailed Eli from the living room. His cry going higher and reaching pitches that only a three-year-old could.

 

Mark tossed the dishrag into the sink, wiping his hands on his sweatpants as he rushed to see what had scared the dog and made Eli cry.

Eli stood in the middle of the room, the large basket of stuffed toys spread across the rug, and the glass statue of an angel that Barney’s mother had fobbed off on them, lay shattered on the ground. Now he knew what had scared the dog and made the sudden crashing sound.

 

Mark rushed over and swept Eli into his arms and immediately began looking for wounds as he heard the front door open.

 

“Hey, love I’m home. You wouldn’t believe…,” Barney stopped talking in Eli’s tear-stained face and Mark’s worried look. “Are you both okay?”

 

“Papa,” said Eli as he reached out for Barney. The little boy wiggled into the open arms of his papa. Immediately, he made a death grip on Barney’s shirt and wiped his face on his papa’s chest.

 

Barney kissed Eli’s forehead. He worried a minute about the little boy getting damp since he had just walked in from his run, but was watching Mark nearly bounce up and down with his anxiety.

 

“We are fine. I left Eli to play with his toys while I finished the dishes and started lunch. I heard a crash, followed by our big brave dog rushing in to hide under the table and our boy crying out like someone was being murdered.”

 

Barney gently rocked Eli as he walked closer to Mark and kissed his cheek, “Go get something on your feet, we don’t need you stepping on any of the glass. I’ll put Eli at the table with his goldfish snacks and clean up the glass.”

 

Mark carefully padded down the hall and slipped on a pair of sneakers. He spotted Trevor’s rawhide bone on the bed and tossed it into the corner of the bedroom where the dog was supposed to sleep. At least that was one less thing to worry about. He hurried back down the hall and could hear Eli’s laughter. Pausing to look in the kitchen he spotted his son feeding Trevor his goldfish. Trevor would take one from the little boy, eat it, then lick Eli’s face making him chortle with glee.

 

“Our boy is over his trauma. He is sharing his goldfish with Trev.” Mark watched his husband vacuum up the smaller pieces, the rest had already been swept up and put in the garbage can.

 

Barney nodded and kept checking the toys for any shards before putting them back into the basket. “I bet you ten to one, love, he tossed his bear at the angel. At least we don’t have to explain why it is gone to my mother.” Barney shook his head. “I mean a Wiccan and atheist aren’t usually the first ones to start an angel collection.”

 

“No, but your mother is determined we find religion. Why she thought a scary angel with a sword would interest Eli is beyond me.” Mark shook his head and moved toward the door where he could see Trevor had curled up and Eli was now using him as a pillow.

“Well, that is all cleaned up.” Barney walked over holding a bag with all the pieces in it. “I see our boy is all comfy with his protector.”

“Yeah. Let me finish up our lunch while you put that in the trash.”

Barney leaned over and kissed his husband. “Yes, love, right away.”

Mark spanked Barney’s butt as he walked into the kitchen to finish making their fish tacos.

So that is my take. I hope you enjoy. Comments are always encouraged.
Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just had to re-read this - for a moment I thought he was feeding the dog actual goldfish, rather than goldfish snacks!

Link to comment
On 1/31/2021 at 9:25 AM, Mawgrim said:

Just had to re-read this - for a moment I thought he was feeding the dog actual goldfish, rather than goldfish snacks!

Lol. Nope. I think all little kids enjoy cheerios or goldfish. I would never have a little kiddo feed a dog real goldfish. Eww.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..