Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,879 Words
  • 1,480 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 23. A Change of Pace - Prompt 367

Darius has type, a twink with a great body and not much upstairs. His dates are more like short term bed mates and he moves on without much regret. All is fine until his friend decides he needs to do more than just help out at the Rainbow Club, and sics the manager, Mavis on him. The night of the Rainbow Club Dinner and Bachelor Auction changes Darius' expected bid. Does it make for better or for worse?

Change of Pace

It really wasn’t what I was expecting. Truthfully the whole thing was Raymond’s fault and I am going to keep telling that to anyone who will listen. It was his idea to make me go to the Bachelor Date Night Auction. It was something the Rainbow Club had dreamed up to help get some money together for the new building. It was to help after school GLBT teens that needed a safe place to be after school. They wanted to buy this building on Main Street but it was expensive and this was their idea of how to raise funds.

“Come on. You can afford the dinner and hell you might find a man to bet on.” Ray stood with his hand on his hip brow beating me to death.

“Would you calm down? Besides, I can damn well find a man if I need one.” I sent him my iciest stare which was immediately disregarded.

“Oh, please, Darius. Your idea of a man is one of those little twinks with a perfect body and no brain. I swear if you even smell college on the boy you walk away. You like them thin and stupid.”

If looks could kill Ray would have hit the floor and never moved again.

“Are you two fighting or working in here?”

We turned to find Mavis standing in the doorway looking at the two of us.

“I’m trying to get Darius to loosen his purse strings and buy a plate at the dinner and Bachelor Auction.” Ray waved his hands and went back to packing up the books.

I sighed and expected it to end when Mavis shocked the hell out of me.

“Oh, I see. You don’t mind helping out but you don’t want to spend no cash.”

Mavis is all of five foot two, with her hair pulled tight into a bun, and the face of an angel. However, piss off this woman and she can flay you alive with just her tongue. I’ve learned to stay on Mavis’s good side, but she just laid down a challenge to me.

“You don’t actually think that is the issue?” I stared at Mavis.

Mavis smiled and crossed her arms as she stalked her way to my side. “Is it the money or the fact that Ray is right? You might just have to meet a man with a brain who might not just want you for your money? Who you might, god forbid, have to have a real conversation with? One who might own a suit, or,” she paused for a moment to shake in front of me, “actually not need you at all.”

“Bitch,” I said as softly as I dared.

“I heard that cocksucker.” She stood stock still and then smiled widely. “I am a bitch and proud of it. Now get your lazy ass in gear, finish packing up the books in here so the boys can come in and paint. Then go with Ray and buy your ticket. I don’t want to hear any excuses.”

Mavis was really a sweetheart. She had four children and two of them were gay. She was a proud supporter of her children and when she decided she liked you, she treated you like one. However, piss her off and she would put you in your place like had me just now. She helped run the Rainbow Club and was told “no” rarely when she asked someone to do something.

Needless to say after cleaning out the old office and packing up the books and files, Ray walked me to the front office to buy a ticket.

So here I was, a week later, in a tux surrounded by men and women from all walks of life out to do community service and come to this dinner and show. I call it a show because not all the men who were up for auction were gay. Some were friends and supporters of the club and willingly joined. The men who were up for auction were listed in a book that everyone was given. The dates you won were listed with men. Some were museums, fancy restaurants, and some were chore dates. Number six was landscaper who would do the yard work at your house and then have a light picnic lunch with the winner. Number eleven was listed as a chef who would come to your home and cook a delicious meal to eat with you. Number fourteen was listed as swimmer who would spend the day teaching you swimming and then for cruise on the bay. Most of the bachelors had either skills to help or were part of a package deal tied to some company around town. The men were attractive and I suppose I wouldn’t have to kill Ray.

“Well at least you clean up nicely.”

I turned to find Mavis standing in deep blue dress that really made her stand out.

“Thank you.”

“So, which one caught your eye?”

I stared at her for a moment in confusion.

“Honey, the men in the catalogue are for you to bid on. Which one do you like?”

“Oh. Really didn’t study it yet. Just flipped through the first page or two to be honest.” I blushed because usually I spotted a guy I wanted and then went after him. Catalogue shopping wasn’t how I worked.

“Yeah well there is one or two of your type.” Mavis rolled her eyes. “Someday you are going wise up and find yourself a man not a toy to play with.” She shook her head and wandered past.

Ray stood just to the side and I could see him trying to hide his laughter.

“Would you stop encouraging her?” I tried not to snarl at Raymond but he was being insufferable

“Why? You are the one who makes it so easy. At forty six you would think you’d have learned to find a man already. Instead, just how old was that last one? Eighteen?”

“Would you stop? He was twenty one.” I blushed and began to feel a bit uncomfortable.

“Well, he looked twelve. I just remember him asking if he blew you, could you guys go to the new movie he wanted to see. I mean really.” Ray just stood there in his skin tight shirt, denim jeans, and sneakers. The bastard hadn’t even dressed up for this.

“Why am I friends with you again?” I sighed in frustration.

“Because your big butch ass needs someone to keep him honest.”

“Honest? Who is honest?” Billy tossed the questions as he wrapped his arms around his husband and kissed Ray on the cheek.

“I am babe. Just telling Da over there that it is time for him to quit playing with toys and be a big boy.”

Billy smiled at me. He was the one person no one would have thought to fit Ray. He was a banker, dressed in suits, seemed super straight, and doted totally on Ray. While I could never figure them out they just seemed naturally to suit each other.

“He will when he finds the right one.” He winked at me as he kissed Ray again. “Don’t pick on him.”

“Only cause you asked me not to.” Ray stuck his tongue at me, hugged his husband, and then wandered away to go help the Bachelors get ready.

I figured if I was stuck I might as well look at the list. Number twenty was just my type. He was a skateboarder who was working in as intern in an art studio. He had shaggy hair, dark eyes, and a compact body. His name was Ben Keel and he had a compact figure from the picture. There was even a notation that his birthday was between the auction and the official start of date nights, which would put him at twenty one.

I picked up my paddle and wandered to my seat. The room quickly filled up but not everyone was there to bid. I looked around for Mavis but didn’t find her at all. There was a small stage and after it seemed everyone was seated a light came on and Mavis walked to the center.

“Evening one and all to tonight’s Bachelor Auction. I do hope you enjoyed the meal beforehand.”

There was a round of applause. Mavis raised her hands and silence again took over.

“Glad you did. As you well know we had a two part fund raiser tonight. The meal was the easy part. The auction is where we hope to really separate you from your money for a date with our men.” Mavis smiled widely as the audience laughed and clapped.

“You have all seen the list of the men who were crazy enough, I mean brave enough to put their talents and their bodies up for date with whoever wins them. “

The place went wild.

“Calm down. You are a horny bunch of people. You keep that up and you might scare away the men in the back. Behave. Now, first up is Matthew Goods. He is website designer and he will help you with your computer if you end up winning him tonight.”

While Mavis made her introduction a tall man in a black and white tux came out and took to the stage. He smiled awkwardly and waved as Mavis read off the details about him. She paused to open the bidding and it went rapidly from one hundred dollars to over seven hundred. And so began a parade of men while I waited for number twenty to come out.

I watched sort of bored while man after man came out, showed off, and was won. However things changed when number sixteen came out onto the stage. First off he was dressed in suit instead of a tux, and he seemed a bit nervous. His short hair allowed his face to be clearly seen, and I was surprised at the cleft in his chin. However when he went to walk to the edge of the stage he slipped and slid right off and landed in front of me. I rushed to his side to make sure he was okay. It was the moment he reached for my hand to get up from the floor that altered it all. When his hand took mine and looked into those dark green eyes, I was shaken.

“Thanks. I think I need to get back up there.” The Adonis smiled and carefully made his way back to the side where he could climb back on stage.

I flipped through the book in hurry. I hadn’t paid attention at all to number sixteen. Andrew Giles, age thirty four, teacher. Date includes a trip to the local art museum and dinner at the small bistro that opened on the edge of town.

“So the last bid is for five hundred. Do I have any other bid?” Mavis announced as she looked out at the audience.

I’d nearly lost the chance to bid on Andrew so caught up in finding out about him. I grabbed my paddle and waved it wildly.

“I have six hundred from … Darius?”

“No, you have a thousand from Darius.” I stood up surprised at what I had just said.

“A thousand! Do I have any more bids?”

“Eleven hundred,” came a sultry voice from behind me.

I turned to find Ms. Barnes making the bid. She was a strong supporter of the Rainbow Club, but she had a strong thing for trying to convert gay men for a romp in her bed.

“Thirteen hundred.” I waved my paddle again.

Andrew stood with his mouth agape and blushing.

“Going once, going twice, sold to Darius.” Mavis stood with a huge smile on her face. “Thank you for the biggest donation so far tonight.”

I stood floored that I had bid on Andrew and not on Ben like I had planned. What had gotten into me?

I wandered to the back of the room where Billy met me. “You have to come over here to pay for your win, Darius. I can’t believe you didn’t even bid on one of the twinks.” He shook his head, as he chuckled leading me over to the table to pay for the dates.

As I waited Ms. Barnes won Ben for four hundred dollars. I was still stunned as I wrote out a check to the Rainbow club for thirteen hundred dollars. I was given a small card with all the information about the date, including a number to reach Andrew at.

I managed to slip out without Billy or Ray stopping me.

­_ * _ * _ *

“I still can’t believe you bid that much on this date.” Andrew stood looking damn attractive in his striped shirt and jeans. “I mean it is just a trip through the art museum and dinner.”

I couldn’t believe how nervous I was, but I tried to put Andrew at ease. “It all went to a good cause. I am just glad you didn’t get hurt in the fall.”

Andrew blushed. “Shh. I am trying hard to forget that part of the night.”

He reached out and touched my arm and again I felt like I’d been struck. He smiled and led me into the main lobby where he picked up our tickets and began to show me around. I was astounded by how much he knew about the various pieces, artists and what some of the more avant-garde pieces were meant to represent. Even some of the simplest paintings he made seem new and exciting. I found myself drawn into the world he was introducing me to and was captivated by him. I hadn’t even realized we had been in the museum for four hours when we reached the front lobby again.

“God, you must think I am a blabber mouth. I don’t think I even gave you a chance to talk.” Andrew’s cheeks filled with color as he stared me.

“No, not at all. To be honest, I really learned a lot. It isn’t something I am used to so I found all very interesting.” I reached out and took his hand as I talked. I was relieved when he didn’t pull away.

“Well,” he looked at me, his blush got a little deeper. “We … we still have dinner at the bistro.”

“Yes, we do.”

I ended up following his car to our dinner location. The place was small and the delicious smells of their fare wafted through the parking lot.

“I’ve been here before. The food is good and the prices are ideal for a teacher’s salary.”

“Well everything but alcohol is covered by the Rainbow Club for the date, so I don’t think you have to worry.”

Andrew blushed again and nodded.

The food was good but I barely paid much attention. Once we were seated, Andrew got very quiet and I had to work to get him to talk.

“So, the museum seems to be a passion for you.”

“Yes, it is.” Andrew took a sip of his water and smiled.

“So what is it you teach?”

“English, but I love how art and literature reflect each other over the years. It is part of why I am so taken with the museum.”

It seemed to be a bunch of starts and stop most of the night. I found as the night went on I really wanted to know more about him, but the waiter was bringing out our coffee and dessert so our “date” was nearly over. The problem was I didn’t want this to be just a onetime thing.

“I’m glad you decided to have their chocolate cake.” Andrew smiled again. “It really is good.”

“Can I ask you something Andrew?”

Andrew paused, his coffee cup halfway to his lips. “Um … sure. I guess.”

“Are you gay?”

Andrew set his cup down and looked at me carefully. “Yes. Why?”

I watched as his body stiffened slightly as he sat there. “Because I am as well. To be honest, this is so not how my dates have ever gone. I really enjoyed this a lot. If you don’t mind, I’d like to go out with you again.”

His eyes looked at mine for a moment and then he slipped back in his chair for a moment. “I asked around about you. Are you sure you want to go out with me? I don’t think I am your type.”

I guess my reputation preceded me and I wasn’t sure I liked it in this case.

“I don’t claim to be any more than what you see, Andrew. I’ve really enjoyed today. I enjoyed your company. You are right. You aren’t normally what I look for in a date, but you have proven to be more than I ever expected.”

Andrew sat back and drank his coffee. It was a few moments before he spoke. “You aren’t what I expected either.”

I raised my cup and saluted him.

“So what are you doing tomorrow night?” Andrew leaned forward and stared at me.

“Going out with you.” I swallowed hard and looked into Andrew’s smiling face.

If this doesn’t work out well I am so going to blame Ray.

Based off prompt 367 - You have always date the same type of person and while not exactly successful with it, you never seen a reason to change. Of course that all changed when you met your latest partner. Talk about a total opposite. What about this person so attracts you, compared to the others you used to date?

So what do you think of the prompt. First thing I have written and completed in weeks so honesty is a good thing. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I really enjoyed this. I'd love to read more about them, too. :) Nice job!

Link to comment
On 11/06/2014 12:59 PM, avidreadr said:
Liked it. Maybe you can revisit them in another prompt? I'd love to read more about them,
Glad you enjoyed it Avid. Just happy to finally have something out again.
Link to comment
On 11/06/2014 01:05 PM, Valkyrie said:
I really enjoyed this. I'd love to read more about them, too. :) Nice job!
Thanks Valkyrie. Seems everyone enjoyed it so far. Glad to know I haven't lost my touch.
Link to comment

I couldn't stop reading and now I'm late. I had so much fun with this, and yes if you could revisit them sometime from time to time, just to check on how they're doing, that would be nice. :)

Link to comment
On 11/06/2014 05:13 PM, aditus said:
I couldn't stop reading and now I'm late. I had so much fun with this, and yes if you could revisit them sometime from time to time, just to check on how they're doing, that would be nice. :)
Thanks for the review Aditus. With all that has been going on lately haven't gotten much out. Nice to know I can still connect.
Link to comment
On 11/06/2014 08:15 PM, Slytherin said:
Great story :) No Wayne, you haven't lost your touch ! Beautifully written as always :)
Thank you Sly. :hug:
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..