Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,568 Words
  • 1,686 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A prompt a week - 27. Beach Day - Prompt 390

Snow bound a family is forced to find a way to entertain themselves. Will it be a good day or a bad one?

Tommy sat at the table and set his sock monkey atop it.

“What is wrong little buddy?”

“Nicky and I are bored!” Tommy pointed at the monkey and stomped his little foot. “He wants to play but all the snow means we can’t go out.”

It was day three of snow. We had already had over five feet of the stuff fall. While it looked absolutely beautiful outside, it was also too deep and too cold to just let Tommy go out to play. His father and I hadn’t even bothered to brave the roads to attempt to go to work. The road hadn’t been plowed yet and I was beginning to worry I would run out of gas for the snow blower, which was the only way we had been able to dig out our walkway and driveway.

“Well, Nicky is right. You can’t go out to play in the snow. So what say we play inside.”

“No more movies!” Tommy announced as he ran and grabbed Nicky off the table.

“I promise no movies.” We had a huge collection of Disney and other films for Tommy, but he was tired of sitting quietly and trying to watch them. Not that I could blame him, two days into the nonstop marathon of films and I was ready to throw the television out the front door and into one of the many snow banks.

As I looked at out huge living room an idea formed in my head. I could remember my mother making a tent and spending the day playing silly games under it with my brother and sister when it snowed.

“Tell you what, Tiger. Go tell papa that we are going to have a beach day and that he should get ready to join us.”

“A beach day?” Tommy looked at me and hugged his monkey tighter.

“Yup. Now go tell him to get off his computer and come play with us. I am going to set everything up.”

Tommy near flew up the stairs, his monkey bumping along at his side.

My husband, Thomas, loved to keep the heat up so high that I couldn’t wear more than shorts in the house during the winter. I knew the heating bill would be through the roof again, but he was always cold. At least the heat would allow me to try to pull this off.

I walked down the hall and grabbed out a few beach towels. Then I moved the coffee table and the two wing chairs over to the side of the room to give me as much space as I could. I also moved the ceramic bowl that my mother had given us. It was something she had made for us and was done in the tones of our color palate for the room. Once I cleaned out the living room I placed the beach towels over the rug. I ran back to the hall closet and dug out our small blowup ball, puffed into and inflated the darn thing. Finally, I went into the kitchen, grabbed out picnic basket and began to toss a few snacks into it, including a drink box for Tommy and two bottles of water for Thomas and I.

“Honey, why is Tommy saying we are having a beach day?” Thomas asked as he came padding into the kitchen in a heavy sweater and pants.

“Because we are. Our son is getting cabin fever and doesn’t want to watch any more movies. So, since we are all stuck in the house we are going to have a bit of fun and play together. Go get dressed in shorts and a tee shirt.” I waved him back toward the door.

“Arnie, you realize it is snowing like hell outside and I’m cold!”

“Tom, you have the house set at ninety degrees. I could nearly cook an egg on the heater. Trust me, for our son you can afford to put on some shorts and play in the living room. Not like I am asking you to go outside and pretend to build sandcastles out of snow!”

Tom blushed. “Knowing you, I wouldn’t put it past you.” He grumbled as he went back to change.

I was about to say something when Tommy came running in wearing a shirt with a sun on It and shorts. “Beach Day!” He squealed and raced over to me.

“Yes Tiger. We are going to play and have fun and pretend to be at the beach.”

Tommy giggled and ran into the living room.

I grabbed a bag of chips, some carrots, and tossed a few apples into the basket.

I walked into the living room just as Thomas came in wearing board shorts and tight black tee that showed off his trim waist and muscular chest. He usually hid that beautiful body of his under layers of clothes and most never realized what an incredible hunk I had managed to marry, but then I always did like the shy nerdy types. However I was surprised to find my husband had a thing for the bear type.

“Papa you’re in shorts?” Tommy stared at Thomas.

“See, Tommy, I told you he did have normal legs.” I teased as Thomas blushed.

“I’ll get you for that later.” Thomas said as grabbed the basket out of my hand.

“Promises, promises,” I laughed as Tommy came over and hugged us both.

We sat on the towels and passed the ball back and forth. We came up with silly games and laughed and joked with each other. Our son drank his juice box and ran in circles around us playing duck, duck, goose.

When lunch time rolled around Thomas decided he would make it.

“I’ll trek over the dunes and make us lunch.”

“Trek over the dunes?” I chuckled as I realized he was getting into our beach day.

“Yeah, and Tommy is going to help me make it. Why don’t you rest here under the sun and try to get yourself a tan.”

It wasn’t often Thomas took over the kitchen. He could cook wonderfully but usually he was so busy he just left the meals to me. Feeling pampered I lay down on the towel and fell asleep.

I was woken when Tommy began to poke me.

“What’s up?” I asked as I tried to rouse myself.

“Dad, Papa has lunch ready.” Tommy leaned over and kissed my cheek.

“Alright, Tiger. I’m up. We eating in there?” I asked as I pointed to the kitchen.

“Unhuh.” Tommy nodded and scrambled back into the kitchen.

I don’t know what I had been expecting, but the spread Thomas had prepared for us wasn’t anything I had thought of.

“Sit down, babe. Glad to see you didn’t burn.”

Smiling I sat down at the table. Thomas had cooked burgers, hot dogs, and made up macaroni salad as well. As I sat down Tommy grabbed a hot dog and held it out to his monkey before he took a bite. As we ate I could smell chocolate.

“What are you making?” I cocked an eyebrow and looked at Thomas.

“Tommy and I made dessert too. Don’t worry. I will finish it up while you play with our little tiger later.”

We ate and then Tommy and I headed back to the living room. I need not have worried. After eating Tommy just wanted to play with his monkey and soon was curling up beside me and falling asleep. I grabbed one of the towels and covered him. Then I slipped out to check on Thomas.

My husband was busy running around in the kitchen. I could smell the chocolate as soon as I entered the room. Thomas had made cupcakes with Tommy. He was now dunking them in a chocolate ganache he had made from Swiss chocolate. I also seen he dug out his old cake decorating tools.

“Hey handsome what are you up to?” I leaned against the counter as he set the last cupcake down.

“Going to pipe on some sea stuff for Tommy. Where is he?”

“Our little man fell asleep with Nicky at his side. So covered him and came to find you.”

“Good you can add the dye to the different frostings for me. I need green, blue, and yellow.”

“Keeping to the primary colors, huh, babe.” I leaned in and stole a kiss.

“Yeah, well mostly but instead of green then it would be red.” He smiled and began lay out pastry bags.

I mixed up the frostings in blue, yellow and green. Thomas put them in the bags and then began to make different shapes. There were yellow star fish, a blue octopus, a turtle, a little yellow ship with blue sails, and other fish. Then he put all the dishes into the sink and followed me back into the living room.

We curled up on the floor by our son and hugged tightly. We might be snowed in but we still had a nice beach day and proved we could spend the day having fun.

Based off prompt 390 - Use the following words in a story – beach towel, sock monkey, ceramic bowl, Swiss chocolate, and a turtle.

So what did you think of Artie, Thomas and their son Tommy? Comments are always welcomed. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Cute story. It reminds me of having snow days when I was a kid, although I never had a beach day quite like that.

Link to comment
On 02/03/2015 07:04 AM, Valkyrie said:
Cute story. It reminds me of having snow days when I was a kid, although I never had a beach day quite like that.
My mom would do anything from making tents and all to keep my brother and I busy when it was a snow day. I just took the idea and ran with it. Besides I have a few friends whose houses are something like an oven when you walk in. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment

My brother and i made afghan forts all the time in the winter. We played camp out, war, frontier, and lots of made up scenarios. Your set up was a lovely reminder of those times. I think little Tommy is a lucky guy to have two dads who love to play along. Thanks!!!

Link to comment
On 02/03/2015 08:15 AM, Cole Matthews said:
My brother and i made afghan forts all the time in the winter. We played camp out, war, frontier, and lots of made up scenarios. Your set up was a lovely reminder of those times. I think little Tommy is a lucky guy to have two dads who love to play along. Thanks!!!
Thanks Cole. I always enjoy knowing that a story makes a connection. A teacher I had used to tell me that the way to the universal is through the personal. Guess he was right. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..