Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,544 Words
  • 7,650 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

9.11 - 32. Chapter 32

A bit of conflict.  It's so unusual.  :P

August 24, 2001

 

My mind was still whirling as I walked up the steps at Escorial. I was thinking of the people I’d been dealing with. I was seriously pissed off at Ferris, Kyle, and Marie, but that was offset by Erik and John. Erik was being honest with me, and I really appreciated that. He and Kai were starting to restore my hope that men could be truthful, which ironically made Tony pop into my mind, and pissed me off again. I got over that by thinking about John. He was acting like a true friend, and a good cousin. If ever there was a time when I needed someone watching my back, it was now, and he was there, doing just that. I opened the door to find Stef and Grand waiting for me. “A welcoming committee?”

“A convenient coincidence,” Grand said. “We were walking by and saw the car pull up.”

“Cool,” I said, and started to head to the kitchen.

“Your father and Robbie are planning to come visit this weekend. They should be here for dinner,” Stef said.

“What does he want?” I asked, and not all that nicely.

“He evidently felt that he was unable to make progress with you when you were in Malibu, so he wants to come see you up here,” Stef said.

“Progress?”

“It bothers him that you ignore him, and will not talk to him. He values your relationship, and he wants to repair it,” Stef said. Grand looked very uncomfortable, because Stef was once again acting as a conduit between the two of us.

“I was really pissed at you for feeding him info about me, but after I was done being mad, we had a ten minute conversation about it, and we were good. Or at least I thought we were. You haven’t been real nice to me lately,” I said totally changing the subject of our conversation.

“What?” he demanded, seriously pissed off.

“You act aloof around me,” I said. “It’s like you’re mad at me and I don’t know why, or what I did to you.” He had to hear the sadness in my voice when I said that.

“I have been frustrated with you for not trying harder to get along with your father,” he finally admitted.

“Here’s the core,” I said. “You and I do great when you’re not involved in my relationship with Dad. So don’t get involved. Tell him to quit gossiping about me and talking about me, and to talk to me instead. If he had taken five minutes to apologize for being a complete asshole, we’d be over this by now. Only now it’s become an issue between you and me. And that really pisses me off, and now he’s got yet one more thing to say he’s sorry for.” I had to work to keep my voice level. “And so do you.”

“And just like this morning, you make some excellent points,” Grand said to me, giving Stef a frosty look. “I do not think it is appropriate for anyone to be involved in your relationship with your father. And I’m convinced that it’s probably not safe either.”

“Thank you,” I said to him. Stef glared at both of us, while I skipped the kitchen and wandered down to my room to enjoy some peace and quiet before dinner. It said something when tranquility was more important than food.

I heard some sort of bell ringing, and only slowly did it break through to my brain that it was my alarm. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 6:55. I had five minutes to get ready for dinner. I kind of freaked out, jumped out of bed, and spent a little time trying to get my hair back into shape, swapping my shirt out for one that wasn’t all wrinkled, and brushing my teeth. I didn’t get to the dining room until 7:05.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” I said to Grand, even as I took my seat. “I took a nap and didn’t hear the alarm.”

“You must have had a busy day,” he said.

“I did,” I said, as I sat in the only vacant seat, which was next to Aunt Claire, but across from my father.

“I am very sorry about our unpleasant ride to school today,” she said.

“That turned out to be the best part of my day,” I grumbled, then remembered my father was staring at me.

“What happened?” he asked, almost a demand.

“Nothing,” I said, blowing him off. No way was I going to let him in on all the crap I’d been dealing with.

“Marie was positively awful on the way to school,” Aunt Claire said, evidently assuming that’s what Dad was asking about.

“How are you doing?” I asked Robbie, as much to change the subject as out of any real interest.

“Good. Things are slow for a change,” he said.

“Slow?” Frank asked.

“We just launched Princess Diaries, and we don’t have anything coming out until later in the year, when Harry Potter hits,” he said, then took a bite. Stef had cured him of eating while he was talking.

Princess Diaries?” I asked, giving him shit.

“Making a lot of money, smartass,” Robbie said with a smile. “All little girls want to be princesses.”

“Some just act like it,” Uncle Jack groused. I was really uncomfortable with them talking about Marie, partly because I was really pissed off at her, and I didn’t want to say something about that in front of my father. The other reason was that it seemed like I was on their side, as if there were a kids vs. adults deal, and I didn’t want to be on their side. I wanted to fight my own battle.

“So Kai called and left me a message thanking me for putting in some binoculars,” I said, my eyes zeroed in on Grand.

“Where did you put binoculars?” Dad asked, making it sound like I was using them to spy on people or something. He probably thought I’d turned into a peeping Tom.

“I didn’t put any binoculars in,” I said to him, and not all that nicely. “But someone did.”

“It was not me,” Stef said, as if worried I’d think he was doing something wrong.

“I noticed when I was talking to Kai’s father that he had a hard time holding up the binoculars when he was watching you and Kai surf,” Grand said. “Kai’s father has muscular dystrophy,” he noted to the group.

“Is it advanced?” Uncle Jack asked.

“It is,” I said sadly.

“That’s too bad,” he said.

“After Will had the Keolani’s house modified to make things easier for him to get around, and bought them a motorized wheelchair and a van that can carry it around, I figured that having some binoculars installed so he could watch Kai surf without having to hold them up was but a small gesture,” Grand said, and looked at me proudly.

“You did that?” Dad asked, as if he was stunned I’d be that thoughtful.

“You didn’t hear about that?” I asked pointedly, staring at Stef. “I did. They took me into their home, fed me dinner damn near every night, and treated me like part of their family. I wanted to do something nice for them in exchange.”

“That was very nice of you,” Aunt Claire said, and patted my knee affectionately.

“Thanks,” I said to her, then looked at Grand. “And that was very nice, and very thoughtful of you.” He just smiled and nodded to thank me for saying that.

“Are you planning to go out tonight?” Stef asked. I wasn’t, but I got the feeling I was being set up for a big conversation with my father.

“I’m supposed to, but I don’t know what my schedule is,” I lied. “When is John leaving?” I asked Aunt Claire.

“He is staying home tonight,” she said.

“He is?” That was surprising, since he’d been planning to go out. “I thought he had plans.”

“They were cancelled,” she said firmly.

“Cancelled?” Grand asked. He really liked John, and usually watched out for him.

“He evidently has a very active libido, and a very active sex life, so we are giving him a break for the evening,” Aunt Claire said. So this was what Marie’s comment had cost him. He would be livid.

“He’s not the only one,” Dad said, looking at me.

“My father was a virgin when he was married,” I told Aunt Claire flippantly. “And the hardest thing he drank in high school was Pepsi, and not the diet kind.”

She chuckled. “That’s quite bold. The kind with real sugar?”

“No, I think by then they’d switched to high fructose corn syrup,” I said.

“Very funny,” Dad snapped. “We need to have a conversation later.”

“I would rather just have dinner,” Robbie said, knowing that Dad was about to pick a fight with me.

“I’m not available,” I told him. “I think I have an open slot in my calendar sometime in October.”

“If you can’t meet with me, then we can meet in front of a judge,” he said. Robbie gave him a nasty look, and Aunt Claire gasped.

I stood up and leaned over the table so I was almost in his face. “Don’t you ever threaten me again. Ever,” I said, so pissed off it took every ounce of restraint to keep my voice down.

There was a sound of silverware clattering slightly as Grand put down his fork and his knife. As soon as he did that, I felt myself automatically sit down, as a sign of respect. “I think that is a reasonable request. It is inappropriate for you to come up here and toss around threats,” he said to Dad.

“It wasn’t a threat,” Dad said to him. “He’s slept with God knows how many people, he’s got a full bar in Hawaii and probably here too, and he’s planning to put a sex room in his house there. He’s fourteen years old. This is not normal behavior.”

“There is a concern that you are acting a bit out of control,” Stef said, trying to back up my father. That really pissed me off.

“How many guys had you had sex with when you were my age?” I asked Stef. He looked surprised and annoyed at my question.

“I do not recall,” he said.

“So many that you can’t even remember?” I taunted. Robbie tried not to chuckle.

“I said I do not recall,” he repeated.

“More than twenty?” I asked. Dad made to interrupt but I stopped him. “I didn’t ask you. You were probably too lame to get laid.” I just stared at Stef, until he answered.

“I would imagine,” he said.

I turned to my father. “You drank in high school, you smoked pot in high school, and you even did mushrooms and cocaine in high school.”

“You forgot acid,” Robbie said, then looked at Dad, with a slightly amused expression. “You dropped acid too.”

“Thanks,” Dad said to him sarcastically.

“So let me spell this out for you two,” I said to Stef and Dad. “You’re both hypocrites. Big, fucking, hypocrites. So save your breath. And stay out of my life.”

“I do not think I deserve that kind of disrespect,” Stef said.

“You made a pact with the devil,” I said, gesturing to my father. “Life without a soul isn’t fun. That’s what you signed up for.”

“In any event, it is not reasonable for Will to feel uncomfortable in his own home. I will not tolerate you coming up here and threatening him,” Grand said to Dad, with a sideways glance at Stef.

“Well then maybe this being his home wasn’t such a good idea,” Dad said in a smarmy, illogical way. “Maybe this environment is too permissive, and that’s why he’s a sex addict with a drinking problem.” I looked at Stef, who looked really uncomfortable. They thought I was a sex addict with a drinking problem? Seriously?

I stood up. “Excuse me,” I said politely to Grand, and then looked at my father. “You and I still have a relationship, barely. You ever do this to me again, come in here and threaten me, or try to take control of my life, and you will be dead to me. This is your final warning.” I started to walk out of the room and stopped to look at Stef. “I expected better from you,” I said to him coldly, then I walked out the door.

I walked out of the dining room and went to the garage, where I found Pedro shining up Stef’s Porsche. “I need a ride,” I said to him, trying to sound cheerful.

“Sure,” he said.

“Take the Ferrari,” I said.

“You sure?” he asked.

“I’m sure,” I told him. He got the keys, and hopped into the car with a smile. He fired it up, and drove slowly down the driveway. “You drive like a pussy.”

“This car probably costs more than I’ll make in ten years of work,” he said.

“That pedal on the right, that’s called the accelerator,” I told him.

“Fine,” he said, and kicked it a little bit. “Where are we going?”

“IN-N-OUT,” I said. “I need something for dinner.”

“That’s in Mountain View,” he said. I knew that, so I just nodded. My phone rang, and I saw it was Dad, so I answered it.

“What?”

“Where are you going?” he demanded.

“I hear there’s a bath house up in San Francisco. I’m going to go up there and see if I can double my count of guys in one night,” I said.

“Let me talk to Pedro,” he ordered. I hung up the phone.

“We’re going to a bath house in the City?” Pedro asked me, chuckling.

“After we go to IN-N-OUT,” I said. We were by the Stanford Shopping Center when Pedro’s phone rang. He talked on it nervously, and then hung up.

“I have to go back,” he said. So Dad had called and ordered him to take me home.

I nodded. “Pull in there,” I said, pointing to the mall. “You can turn around there.”

“OK,” he said. He pulled into the drive, and then turned around, where he got stuck at a traffic light.

“See you later,” I said, and jumped out of the car.

“Wait! You’re supposed to go back with me!”

“I’ll go back there when my father is gone,” I said. “Have Grand call me when he leaves.” Then I walked away from him. As soon as I was out of sight, I tore off running, even as I saw him talking on the phone.

         

August 24, 2013

 

There was silence around the table as Will walked out the door. I was staring at Stef who was floundering at Will’s simple words for him. His eyes met mine, and I knew mine were ice cold, like steel. “I expected better from you as well.”

“I’d tell you that you really messed that up,” Jack said, “but we’re not doing any better.”

“Will probably could have shed even more light on your issues, but he was too busy fighting off attacks to talk,” I said to Jack.

“What do you mean?” Brad asked. I ignored him, but in a way that told him I was not going to answer his question. “What’s he done wrong now?”

“I am not going to have conversations with you about Will,” I said to him. “I value my relationship with him, and nothing will destroy that faster than telling you anything that he does, or thinks.” I gave Stef a withering look. “As we have just witnessed.”

Brad got up and walked outside, leaving the rest of us to finish dinner. He came back a few minutes later. “He’s gone! He got one of the guys to take him out in my Ferrari.”

“Looks like you drove him away. Again,” Robbie said, shaking his head. Brad gave him an evil look, and then went back outside to make some phone calls. After a brief respite during which we focused on our main course, Brad came back in, all in a huff.

“He says he’s going to a bathhouse in San Francisco,” he said, chuckling as if it were a big joke. “Like he’ll get in.”

“I suspect he would get in without any problems,” Stef opined, the first thing he’d said since Will left.

“With his fake ID?” Brad asked, shaking his head.

“I am not sure, if you are as young and handsome as Will, that they will ask too many questions,” Stef noted. He was probably right.

“Once again your brilliant plans have backfired,” I said to them. “Once again, you have driven Will away, and while he’s gone, there is no telling what he will do. If you had just left him alone, he would probably be in his room, doing something productive.” Or masturbating, but I didn’t say that.

“Dr. Crampton,” one of the staff members said. “Pedro is on the phone for you. He says it is urgent.”

“Certainly,” I said, and walked over to pick up the phone.

“Dr. Crampton, I turned around to bring Will home, like Mr. Brad said, but then he jumped out of the car. He said he would not return while Mr. Brad was there.” Pedro sounded frantic.

“Where are you?” I asked.

“I am at the Stanford Shopping Center,” he said.

“I would like you to park the car, and then go join him for dinner. When he is done, you can bring him home,” I told Pedro calmly.

“How will I find him?” he asked me.

“He will find you,” I said. He agreed to do what I said, and as soon as we hung up, I called Will. “And just where are you?” I asked when he answered.

“I’m at the Stanford Shopping Center, but if my dad asks, tell him I’m at a bathhouse in San Francisco,” he said playfully.

“I will consider it,” I said, chuckling a bit.

“I told Pedro to have you call me when Dad leaves. I know I can trust you to tell me the truth. When he’s gone, I’ll come back. When he’s there, I’m gone.”

“What if he is here during the week?” I asked, more to find out his backup plan, and to see if he’d thought this through.

“That’s what they have hotels for,” he said.

“I will convey your message. In the interim, I have asked Pedro to park the car near where he left you, and to join you for dinner. I am hoping you will indulge me and take him with you, and buy him dinner.” I knew that he would feel compelled to do as I asked, if only to make sure Pedro was taken care of. “When you have finished eating, you can return here.”

“What about Dad?” he asked.

“He will be gone by the time you return,” I said.

“Alright,” he agreed. I hung up the phone and went back to the table.

“Where is he?” Brad demanded.

“He is having dinner, and then he will be coming home. You will be gone by the time he returns,” I said firmly. Claire and Jack stared at us, stunned.

“You’re throwing me out?” Brad demanded.

“With the way you have been acting, I was worried that clear thought was beyond your capabilities,” I told him sarcastically. He had annoyed me enough that I let my feelings show through my shields. “I am pleased to see that you still can grasp basic concepts.”

“I can’t believe you’re doing this. This explains so much. I’m fighting to try and save my son from becoming a total delinquent, and you’re up here, encouraging him,” Brad said loudly, but quiet enough to stay below my required volume threshold.

“Will is not a delinquent, he is a teenager,” I said evenly. “He is testing boundaries, not for you, but for himself.”

“Well when he’s drinking like a fish and having sex with everyone he meets, that’s a little dangerous,” Brad replied. “What happens when he goes back to Hawaii, has his room all finished, takes some guy there, and the guy ties him up and really hurts him?”

“I am more confident in Will’s judgment than that, and he has probably drawn the same conclusion that I have. He probably finds your lack of faith in him the most insulting thing of all,” I told Brad.

“It’s not a lack of faith,” he insisted, “its concern.” None of us believed that.

“And what he was saying to both of you,” I said, leveling my eyes on Stef, “was that you are demanding behavior from him that neither one of you can do even now.”

“I’m not sleeping with half of the Bay Area,” Brad said.

“Right now,” Robbie said, and then looked uncomfortable for bringing up their own problems, and Brad’s tendency to become sluttier than Will when they had them.

“Have you given up drinking and drugs as well?” I asked him pointedly.

“I am an adult,” he said.

“Who does not act like one,” I countered. I forced myself to calm down. Brad was one of the few people able to get me to lose my cool if I was not careful. “One of the most irritating things for me is to see someone who has ample proof in front of him, and still cannot accept the basic facts that proof validates.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Brad asked, squaring off with me.

“It means that every time you step in and try to take control of Will’s life, you just make things worse. Everyone is different, and it has been clearly evident that this is his weakest point, the one where he will react the most violently. Yet you continue to push that button,” I said.

“I’m not trying to take control of his life,” he said. “I’m trying to give him some structure, some boundaries. I’ve tried letting him handle things on his own, and all I see is him careening out of control. This isn’t working, so for his own good, we have to try something else.”

“You are trying to take control of his life, he is not careening out of control, and the only thing you will succeed in doing with this latest scheme of yours is to completely destroy your relationship with him,” I said.

“I’d rather have him hate me and be alive, than like me and be dead,” he said.

“Then I think you will achieve your goal. I think you may well convince him to hate you,” I told him. “I am wondering what Darius and JJ think of your approach?”

Brad said nothing, even as Robbie stared at him. “You’re not going to tell them?” Robbie asked.

“Darius isn’t going to worry about Will sleeping with everyone since he’s doing the same thing,” Brad snapped.

“Darius told you that you were acting like an idiot,” Robbie said. “He said that Will is doing fine, and that you should leave him the fuck alone.”

“Darius isn’t the only one with an over-active libido,” Jack said, clearly dealing with his own issues. “But I got to spend a lot of time with him when he was with Ella. He always impressed me with his common sense.” Claire nodded in agreement.

“So you think he’s right?” Brad asked Jack.

“I am reluctant to give you advice or commentary when I certainly have my own hands full,” Claire said, “but since you asked, I think that he is.”

“I was asking Jack,” Brad said, one of the few times he’d spoken rudely to Claire. He seemed to regret it immediately, and that was evident in his eyes, probably the only thing that saved him from being flayed alive by her.

“You are not in a position to dictate who can and cannot voice an opinion at this table,” she said to him coldly.

“No you are not,” I said, because she raised a key point, and I felt like I was a moderator of sorts and had to point out rules of order.

“Regardless, I agree with my wife,” Jack said.

“You two get together and talk about all this stuff Will is supposedly doing,” Robbie said to Stef and Brad. “You decide that he’s out of control, and that you have to do something. You both act like you have the corner on morals and judgment. And so you start poking at him, until you really piss him off. You do this over and over again, and the same damn thing happens. You never learn. You just keep making the same dumbass mistakes. He called you both hypocrites. I think he’s right, but I think it’s worse than that. You’re both idiots.”

“I do not appreciate being insulted,” Stef said pompously. He was fighting back now because he figured he might be able to win an argument with Robbie, or at least browbeat him into backing down.

“You do not appreciate that he is right,” I corrected Stef. “I think he summed things up quite well.”

“So I’m supposed to just watch while he flies off the deep end?” Brad asked, referring to Will.

“I will summarize things for you again,” I told him acidly. “Will is doing fine. He makes mistakes, but generally learns from them. You could stand some improvement in that area. But the most annoying thing about this is that you are not doing this, going overboard with your histrionics, because you’re worried about him.”

“That’s exactly why I’m doing this,” he said firmly.

“No it is not. You are acting like this because you are mad that Will is not communicating with you. And he is not communicating with you because he doesn’t trust you, and because you are holding yourself up as the exemplar of moral authority, a status he is not willing to grant you. And so, to get him to pay attention to you, you hit him in the place that you know will get a reaction. And you got one.” I paused after I said that, knowing that everyone else understood what I was saying, but Brad probably did not. “Unfortunately for you, the price for that reaction is very high.”

“You’ll be lucky if he talks to you at all,” Robbie said. “And I’m going to say I told you so on this one.”

Brad said nothing for a bit, and then stood up. “I’m going back to LA.”

“I’m staying here,” Robbie said. “I’ll be back on Monday.”

“I see,” Brad said. He looked at Stef for support, but Stef was visibly upset by all of this, and in no position to back him up.

I walked over and buzzed the garage, then came back to the table. “They will be bringing the car around for you,” I told Brad. “I told them you would be out front shortly.”

He looked around, nodded, and then left. No one said anything for a few minutes as we tried to enjoy our dessert. “What is going on with Will at school?” Claire asked. “Is everything alright?”

“I don’t know what is going on,” I told her. “There is something bothering him, but he hasn’t talked about it. And I doubt that he will.” I could not resist giving Stef a contemptuous look. I was really angry with him at how he’d handled this, and how he’d helped this situation get completely out of control.

“I think he will ultimately explain things,” Stef said.

“Nope,” Robbie said. “He’s not going to say anything to anyone, except maybe you,” he said to me.

“And why is that?” Stef demanded.

“Because he doesn’t trust you. He knows that you tell Brad damn near everything he says, so he’ll cut you off. And he’ll assume I’ll do the same thing, even though I don’t,” Robbie said. I got the feeling that after all the drama we’d had last year, where everyone, especially Stef, had jumped all over him for being an asshole, Robbie was relishing this opportunity for payback.

“He probably does not trust me, either,” Claire said sadly.

“I think it is not that he does not trust you,” I said to her encouragingly, “I think that he does not want to get you in the middle of his problems with Marie.”

“How is that different?” Jack asked. He usually got pretty defensive when his daughter came up as an issue.

“He doesn’t want to put us in a position where we feel we have to take her side because she is our daughter, or to take his side against her because he’s got legitimate issues,” Claire said. “He got very uncomfortable when she came up in conversation at dinner.”

“I don’t get that,” Jack said.

“It’s because you’re so old,” Robbie said, teasing him. “If we were mad at each other in high school, over some crap happening at school, would we have wanted to talk about it in front of them?” he asked, gesturing at Stef and me.

“Brad might have,” Jack joked, getting it. “What are you going to do while you’re up here?” he asked Robbie.

“I’m going to enjoy some peace and quiet,” he said.

“Here?” Claire asked, making us all chuckle.

“Better than at home,” Robbie said.

“I’m golfing in the morning. We could use a fourth,” Jack said.

“Been a while since I’ve been on the course,” Robbie said. “Sounds like fun.” And that seemed to end our dinner, so I withdrew to my study. I immersed myself in my work, something I often did when I was upset, so I was somewhat surprised to hear a knock on the door.

“Enter,” I said, my usual response. I expected it to be Stefan, to come in and grovel, but he probably hadn’t developed that kind of courage yet. He’d have to work things out in his mind first, and then we could have a civil conversation. Instead, it was Will. “Good evening,” I said.

“Hi,” he said. “I’m sorry I ruined yet another dinner.”

“I do not think you ruined that dinner,” I told him. “I am not a fan of some of the language you used, but I thought that it was a wise move to leave before you lost control of your emotions.” I found that most language did not bother me, but the use of the term ‘fuck’ at the dinner table was beyond my tolerance levels, and I wanted to remind him of that.

“Thanks,” he said, and sat down with a thud. “So what do I do when Monday rolls around and I get a summons to appear in court?”

“I do not think that will happen, but if it does, we will grapple with it,” I told him. “Besides, there is a Ferrari in the garage you can beat up.” He laughed at that, as I knew he would.

“Nope, this time I’m using lighter fluid,” he said. I pondered how such a destructive incident could now become a source of humor. “So Dad left?”

“He did. Robbie stayed up here, and plans to golf with Jack tomorrow.”

“I should probably go talk to him,” he said, but didn’t sound very enthused.

“I think he will be fine if you wait until morning. You have had a long day,” I said, sensing his emotional, if not physical, exhaustion.

He nodded. “I need to talk to you about what’s been going on at school. Can we do that tomorrow?”

“Of course,” I said. He got up and I did as well, and he gave me a hug, and all but clung to me. He was a strong guy, but these battles took their toll on him. Perhaps they hardened him too. Claire had called it guerilla warfare training, and I tended to agree with her.

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 52
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for another great chapter, Mark.

 

As an amusing aside, essentially the relationship between Brad and Will (or at least the dysfunction in the relationship between Brad and Will), is the relationship between The Pentagon and CIA. People in The Pentagon (most of which don’t see why there is a need for there to be a separate intelligence agency out of their control to begin with) tend to assume the worst whenever confronted with ambiguity from CIA, and the good folks over at CIA tend to respond to that frustration by adding more ambiguity to the situation. They also have about the same reaction to anyone who does not want to pick a side in their conflicts as well.

 

All the Best,

Jason

Link to comment

Yay, I'm always happy when I see a new chapter posting when m up working late.

 

Just quickly, I totally get that Brad's motivations are less than ideal, but he's not wrong that a 14 year old who sleeps with that many people, some complete strangers, and drinks is asking for a world of hurt. Not to mention there are good cognitive development reasons that 14 year olds can hurt themselves more with narcotics the an adult whose brain has completely developed. Regardless of maturity levels, there are basic physiological problems. As an academic, it seems odd to me that JP and Jack just accept those arguments.

 

Im just not sure about the hypocrisy arguments with this group as a whole. If you apply their rules to the whole family, Jack, Claire and even JP are far from innocent. Assuming the adults don't know that Marie is doing anything to really hurt Will - beyond being loose lipped, then Marie is guilty of wanting privacy, not to be controlled by her family and to choose her own associates - but Claire needs to shut her down. John can be grounded for sleeping around, even though we don't know about any otherwise harmful behavior. I'm not saying Claire and Jack are wrong, but they are as guilty as Brad by their definition of hypocrisy. Furthermore, I still haven't forgiven Jack for being a douche when Robbie was having his JJ related issues.

 

I'm just not sold on their definition of hypocrisy that seems to ignore context as a factor in the situation. Stef slept with people to survive, it's kinda absurd for Will to compare his willingness to sleep around with hisown, it shows his immaturity, i think.

 

I love the drama this round robin creates, certainly, as its been said before, dinner at Escorial is never boring. It also adds an interesting aspect with the varying view point over the years, since each of them have some good points and some bad or illogical.

 

Also, Will seems at times a bit too powerful. Anyone who has tried to ban someone from Escorial without acting with JPs blessing has been put right in the past. JP may have said the words, but Will kicked Brad out of Escorial, something JP never let Brad do to Will. In the past Stef, isadore and others have all been denied that priveledge. Brad may have a point that JP grants Will a bit more power and independence than even the most mature 14 year old should reasonably wield. I worry if this is good for him.

 

 

Thanks Mark for the great and thought provoking chapter,

 

Rachel

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Again Mark you have shown your brillance. Everyone was upset with Robbie when his was trying to help JJ. Now Brad is alone trying to control Will. Brad isn't talked to Will, he is doing the same thing Jeanine did with Will. If it didn't work with Jeanine why would it work with Brad? Using the courts against Will is wrong. When has Brad turned into a old man? Wade told Brad this was the wrong way of handling Will. Neither Stef or Brad understands that they are driving Will away. Is it Brad control problems? Maybe something more. For such smart men, Brad and Stef, they can be so dumb at times. Maybe it is Marie's problem, they think they are perfect. I doubt Brad will go against JP in the long run. Maybe Brad needs to go into his cave and think. I hope he comes out a lot wiser. Thanks again for a great chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Man, Will can't get a break today at all...and Stef, I thought he'd learned this lesson already. Bad Stef, bad bad Stef. Good for Robbie though trying to get Brad to see reason; unfortunate for everyone that Brad seems to be so committed to being unreasonable. I wish Stef and Brad would apply their (well Stef's) win-win business philosophy to their family. Things with Will might go a lot (or even a little) smoother versus Brad threatening Will with revoking his emancipation and risking damaging his relationship with Will so badly that Will hates him with a similar vehemence that Brad hated his own mother with.

 

Thanks for another great chapter mired in delicious family drama.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

My apologies for contradicting you Grienne, but Will did not kick Brad out of Escorial, he removed himself and informed the family he would not return till after Brad had left. A small but very important distinction, And where did you get the idea Will is into narcotics? Sure he smokes a bit of pot, but that is something every man-jack in the family has done since long before Will was even born. It does not make use of other drugs inevitable. Nor does having a bar in a home make someone an alcoholic.

Brad tends not to act but to react when it comes to Will. He lets his emotions get the better of his thought processes, something everyone seems to condemn Will for. That isn't unusual in a teen. It should be in an adult however. Brad seems to be intent on provoking some drastic behavior in Will that the courts will see as sufficient reason to revoke the emancipation. Refusing to put The Hobart parents into an untenable position with the Marie situation and removing himself from a discussion that could only go downhill and pick up speed doing so looks to me as tho Will is being the more reasonable party this evening.

A well written chapter Mr.Arbour. Your attention to the little details as usual make the story for me. The narration makes me feel as tho I am sitting at the dinner table at Escorial watching the events unfold. You turn the reader into a fly on the wall, something we have all wished to be a time or two in our lives. You give us all we need to be able to identify with one or more characters in your story, but withhold just enough to make us keep coming back for more.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks for the frenetic pace of writing Mark it is such a pleasure to wake up to a new Chapter of CAP.

 

Actually, I think Grienne is pretty right on in her evaluation and I might go even further, I think Will is being a complete asshole to his father. Why does Will expect that treating his father the way he does will produce positive results? If he would take Brad's calls, had taken them in Hawaii and talked to his father he might have been able to diffuse the situation, but he chooses instead to not take because he knows it pushes Brad's buttons.

 

I agree that Will has defacto thrown Brad out of Escorial. His passive aggressive behavior has placed JP in a difficult situation. The rest I'll save for the forums.

 

Thanks again Mark.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I can't believe that every update makes me want the next update immediately. These characters become more and more believable, so much so that I forget that Will is only 14. I could never imagine his life except in this setting.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

As I neared the last sentence of this chapter, The Fresh Prince’s track “Parents Just Don’t Understand” started playing in my head. It’s funny when parents forget their youth as power struggles ensue between them and their kids. You have captured the conflict perfectly - effective communication is often a missing element in family conflict.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well, I never thought I would live to see the day that Robbie was the calm and controlled one of the pair. I really think that Brad has lost his mind and I am starting to think that Stef is following him down the rabbit hole.

 

I know that all the Bradophiles are up in arms about how mistreated Brad is but I think they are all nuts... I just got through re-reading Be Rad and except for the destruction of property issue, Brad was much more out of control at the time of that story then Will is now; plus he was a couple of years older in age but obviously not in maturity. I am actually questioning whether or not Brad is as mature now as Will is during this story. Brad did a lot more drugs and drinking than Will has ever done. Except for pot, has there been any sign of Will doing any drugs? Brad did pot, coke, and mushrooms on a regular basis; plus Robbie says acid, although I really don't remember this from Be Rad. Brad was drunk just about every weekend and quite often during the week during Be Rad; I can only think of a hand full of times Will has even drank. You never saw him really drink in Hawaii; my guess is the bar is really more for visitors not for Will, himself. Now, I will give you that Will has slept with more guys than Brad but I think after going back over Be Rad that Brad had as much or more sex just with a fewer number of guys. Plus, if Brad hadn't been so paranoid about anyone knowing he was gay; he would have been a much bigger slut than Will has been. Brad had a pretty high number count for his age and that was with him being a paranoid closet case for years... Brad took part in several orgies while visiting Stef and we never really got a full view of his actions in them; so we can't even be sure that Will has actually slept with more men than Brad did in all honesty. Brad was also in several fights when he was Will's age, I can't recall Will ever beating anyone up. Finally, Brad was willing to destroy people, I mean actually ruin their lives when he was Will's age; that doesn't seem like anything that Will would ever do, or at least not over as little as Brad was willing to do it for...

 

The only thing that Will has done that I think is in error is cutting off all communication with his father except for conversations when other people are around and he is trying to keep it friendly but benign. The problem he has though is that everytime he tries to keep it benign; Brad wigs out and loses it. I really believe that Will would make an effort if Brad did not attack him everytime he opens his mouth. Plus, Brad's constant threats to go back to court is getting old. Honestly, he just needs to keep his mouth shut. Legally, he might win but it would be like the person that cuts off his nose to spite his face... Brad is like so many people that get to a certain age and seem to forget all the shit they did when they were young; it is like they mentally sanitize their past. Will did not kick Brad out of Escorial, Brad's behaviour brought that about...

 

Stef has always been Brad's biggest backer. When he and Brad became blood brothers all those years ago in Paris, Stef took it to heart. The problem is that Stef seems to be blind to how Brad treats others; which is often really badly. It is one thing to want to support and stand by someone because you care; it is another to enable them to destroy lives and run roughshod over everyone in their path. I could actually see JP and Stef breaking up if Stef cannot take a step back from his behaviour on this matter.

 

I think that Claire and Jack are moving on John because they don't want him to get as out of control as Marie has become. It seems the situation with Marie has come out of no where to some extent and they both seem blindsided by her change in behaviour, I still have to wonder what set this off... They want to make sure that John knows they don't approve of his having sex with just everybody... I am not sure they have handled everything in the best manner but they are making an effort; which is more than I can say for Brad.

 

I can't wait for the upcoming conversation between JP and Will... Don't make us wait too long, please Mark....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 05:26 PM, said:
Thank you for another great chapter, Mark.

 

As an amusing aside, essentially the relationship between Brad and Will (or at least the dysfunction in the relationship between Brad and Will), is the relationship between The Pentagon and CIA. People in The Pentagon (most of which don’t see why there is a need for there to be a separate intelligence agency out of their control to begin with) tend to assume the worst whenever confronted with ambiguity from CIA, and the good folks over at CIA tend to respond to that frustration by adding more ambiguity to the situation. They also have about the same reaction to anyone who does not want to pick a side in their conflicts as well.

 

All the Best,

Jason

What a fabulous analogy. In my experience, often those who are the closest fight the nastiest battles because they know all the right buttons to push.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 05:27 PM, Grienne said:
Yay, I'm always happy when I see a new chapter posting when m up working late.

 

Just quickly, I totally get that Brad's motivations are less than ideal, but he's not wrong that a 14 year old who sleeps with that many people, some complete strangers, and drinks is asking for a world of hurt. Not to mention there are good cognitive development reasons that 14 year olds can hurt themselves more with narcotics the an adult whose brain has completely developed. Regardless of maturity levels, there are basic physiological problems. As an academic, it seems odd to me that JP and Jack just accept those arguments.

 

Im just not sure about the hypocrisy arguments with this group as a whole. If you apply their rules to the whole family, Jack, Claire and even JP are far from innocent. Assuming the adults don't know that Marie is doing anything to really hurt Will - beyond being loose lipped, then Marie is guilty of wanting privacy, not to be controlled by her family and to choose her own associates - but Claire needs to shut her down. John can be grounded for sleeping around, even though we don't know about any otherwise harmful behavior. I'm not saying Claire and Jack are wrong, but they are as guilty as Brad by their definition of hypocrisy. Furthermore, I still haven't forgiven Jack for being a douche when Robbie was having his JJ related issues.

 

I'm just not sold on their definition of hypocrisy that seems to ignore context as a factor in the situation. Stef slept with people to survive, it's kinda absurd for Will to compare his willingness to sleep around with hisown, it shows his immaturity, i think.

 

I love the drama this round robin creates, certainly, as its been said before, dinner at Escorial is never boring. It also adds an interesting aspect with the varying view point over the years, since each of them have some good points and some bad or illogical.

 

Also, Will seems at times a bit too powerful. Anyone who has tried to ban someone from Escorial without acting with JPs blessing has been put right in the past. JP may have said the words, but Will kicked Brad out of Escorial, something JP never let Brad do to Will. In the past Stef, isadore and others have all been denied that priveledge. Brad may have a point that JP grants Will a bit more power and independence than even the most mature 14 year old should reasonably wield. I worry if this is good for him.

 

 

Thanks Mark for the great and thought provoking chapter,

 

Rachel

Thanks for the review. You make some excellent points, but I'd like to nit pick on two of them. First of all, it's hard to generalize narcotics and their impact on cognitive development, since they are significantly different (like weed and heroin). I'm also somewhat skeptical because the studies tend to be somewhat unreliable. There was quite an uproar, for example, in the latest study showing detrimental effects for 14 year olds who smoked weed, when in fact those researchers had a very small sample size and failed to control for environmental factors, which appear to be significant. But in general, I think you're right, I'm just not sure if the effect is significant.

The second issue is that Will really didn't throw Brad out, he merely refused to be there if Brad was there. I can see how easy it would be to conclude a causal relationship there, but JP is not the kind of person to be blackmailed into banning Brad. He was angry at Brad for coming to Escorial and threatening Will, and thus eroding Will's sense of security in his home. That is what got him thrown out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 06:01 PM, rjo said:
Again Mark you have shown your brillance. Everyone was upset with Robbie when his was trying to help JJ. Now Brad is alone trying to control Will. Brad isn't talked to Will, he is doing the same thing Jeanine did with Will. If it didn't work with Jeanine why would it work with Brad? Using the courts against Will is wrong. When has Brad turned into a old man? Wade told Brad this was the wrong way of handling Will. Neither Stef or Brad understands that they are driving Will away. Is it Brad control problems? Maybe something more. For such smart men, Brad and Stef, they can be so dumb at times. Maybe it is Marie's problem, they think they are perfect. I doubt Brad will go against JP in the long run. Maybe Brad needs to go into his cave and think. I hope he comes out a lot wiser. Thanks again for a great chapter.
I think some successful people think that because they are good in one area, that translates into a skill in another. That has not been my experience. In this situation, there are a lot of egos (and prima donnas) involved.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 07:01 PM, Miles Long said:
Man, Will can't get a break today at all...and Stef, I thought he'd learned this lesson already. Bad Stef, bad bad Stef. Good for Robbie though trying to get Brad to see reason; unfortunate for everyone that Brad seems to be so committed to being unreasonable. I wish Stef and Brad would apply their (well Stef's) win-win business philosophy to their family. Things with Will might go a lot (or even a little) smoother versus Brad threatening Will with revoking his emancipation and risking damaging his relationship with Will so badly that Will hates him with a similar vehemence that Brad hated his own mother with.

 

Thanks for another great chapter mired in delicious family drama.

Brad's attitude here is that he's fighting for his son, to protect him. That's why he is so able to block out all the other people and their rationales. For him, it is primal. I think it's really unfortunate that the family drama is piled up and intermixed with the crap Will has to deal with at school.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 10:28 PM, Kitt said:
My apologies for contradicting you Grienne, but Will did not kick Brad out of Escorial, he removed himself and informed the family he would not return till after Brad had left. A small but very important distinction, And where did you get the idea Will is into narcotics? Sure he smokes a bit of pot, but that is something every man-jack in the family has done since long before Will was even born. It does not make use of other drugs inevitable. Nor does having a bar in a home make someone an alcoholic.

Brad tends not to act but to react when it comes to Will. He lets his emotions get the better of his thought processes, something everyone seems to condemn Will for. That isn't unusual in a teen. It should be in an adult however. Brad seems to be intent on provoking some drastic behavior in Will that the courts will see as sufficient reason to revoke the emancipation. Refusing to put The Hobart parents into an untenable position with the Marie situation and removing himself from a discussion that could only go downhill and pick up speed doing so looks to me as tho Will is being the more reasonable party this evening.

A well written chapter Mr.Arbour. Your attention to the little details as usual make the story for me. The narration makes me feel as tho I am sitting at the dinner table at Escorial watching the events unfold. You turn the reader into a fly on the wall, something we have all wished to be a time or two in our lives. You give us all we need to be able to identify with one or more characters in your story, but withhold just enough to make us keep coming back for more.

Thanks for the review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the chapter. I think that JP really did summarize things effectively. Brad is acting provocatively probably because Will has shut him down, and out. The fun thing about writing conflicts between those two is that they just cascade out of control, until the real cause of the arguments become obscure.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 11:08 PM, PrivateTim said:
Thanks for the frenetic pace of writing Mark it is such a pleasure to wake up to a new Chapter of CAP.

 

Actually, I think Grienne is pretty right on in her evaluation and I might go even further, I think Will is being a complete asshole to his father. Why does Will expect that treating his father the way he does will produce positive results? If he would take Brad's calls, had taken them in Hawaii and talked to his father he might have been able to diffuse the situation, but he chooses instead to not take because he knows it pushes Brad's buttons.

 

I agree that Will has defacto thrown Brad out of Escorial. His passive aggressive behavior has placed JP in a difficult situation. The rest I'll save for the forums.

 

Thanks again Mark.

Glad you liked it, and appreciate the pace. I have a 9-11 deadline to make. :-)

 

I think you're right, in that Will is being an asshole to his father, but the process behind that is rather interesting (in my own mind). If we give Will the adult status he demands, we conclude he's an asshole (and so, IMHO, is Brad). If we look at him as a 15ish year old, and cut him some slack, then he's really not acting like the adult he claims to be.

But I'll stand by JP and it being solely his decision to evict Brad. Ponder that Will isn't the only one who likes to push Brad's buttons sometimes. :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 08/27/2013 11:47 PM, Laz_9 said:
I can't believe that every update makes me want the next update immediately. These characters become more and more believable, so much so that I forget that Will is only 14. I could never imagine his life except in this setting.
I'm like the narcotics we've been talking about.

 

Hot.

 

:-)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/28/2013 01:47 AM, Arabesque said:
As I neared the last sentence of this chapter, The Fresh Prince’s track “Parents Just Don’t Understand” started playing in my head. It’s funny when parents forget their youth as power struggles ensue between them and their kids. You have captured the conflict perfectly - effective communication is often a missing element in family conflict.
Thanks. I have a lot of personal experience to draw on. :-(
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/28/2013 02:09 AM, centexhairysub said:
Well, I never thought I would live to see the day that Robbie was the calm and controlled one of the pair. I really think that Brad has lost his mind and I am starting to think that Stef is following him down the rabbit hole.

 

I know that all the Bradophiles are up in arms about how mistreated Brad is but I think they are all nuts... I just got through re-reading Be Rad and except for the destruction of property issue, Brad was much more out of control at the time of that story then Will is now; plus he was a couple of years older in age but obviously not in maturity. I am actually questioning whether or not Brad is as mature now as Will is during this story. Brad did a lot more drugs and drinking than Will has ever done. Except for pot, has there been any sign of Will doing any drugs? Brad did pot, coke, and mushrooms on a regular basis; plus Robbie says acid, although I really don't remember this from Be Rad. Brad was drunk just about every weekend and quite often during the week during Be Rad; I can only think of a hand full of times Will has even drank. You never saw him really drink in Hawaii; my guess is the bar is really more for visitors not for Will, himself. Now, I will give you that Will has slept with more guys than Brad but I think after going back over Be Rad that Brad had as much or more sex just with a fewer number of guys. Plus, if Brad hadn't been so paranoid about anyone knowing he was gay; he would have been a much bigger slut than Will has been. Brad had a pretty high number count for his age and that was with him being a paranoid closet case for years... Brad took part in several orgies while visiting Stef and we never really got a full view of his actions in them; so we can't even be sure that Will has actually slept with more men than Brad did in all honesty. Brad was also in several fights when he was Will's age, I can't recall Will ever beating anyone up. Finally, Brad was willing to destroy people, I mean actually ruin their lives when he was Will's age; that doesn't seem like anything that Will would ever do, or at least not over as little as Brad was willing to do it for...

 

The only thing that Will has done that I think is in error is cutting off all communication with his father except for conversations when other people are around and he is trying to keep it friendly but benign. The problem he has though is that everytime he tries to keep it benign; Brad wigs out and loses it. I really believe that Will would make an effort if Brad did not attack him everytime he opens his mouth. Plus, Brad's constant threats to go back to court is getting old. Honestly, he just needs to keep his mouth shut. Legally, he might win but it would be like the person that cuts off his nose to spite his face... Brad is like so many people that get to a certain age and seem to forget all the shit they did when they were young; it is like they mentally sanitize their past. Will did not kick Brad out of Escorial, Brad's behaviour brought that about...

 

Stef has always been Brad's biggest backer. When he and Brad became blood brothers all those years ago in Paris, Stef took it to heart. The problem is that Stef seems to be blind to how Brad treats others; which is often really badly. It is one thing to want to support and stand by someone because you care; it is another to enable them to destroy lives and run roughshod over everyone in their path. I could actually see JP and Stef breaking up if Stef cannot take a step back from his behaviour on this matter.

 

I think that Claire and Jack are moving on John because they don't want him to get as out of control as Marie has become. It seems the situation with Marie has come out of no where to some extent and they both seem blindsided by her change in behaviour, I still have to wonder what set this off... They want to make sure that John knows they don't approve of his having sex with just everybody... I am not sure they have handled everything in the best manner but they are making an effort; which is more than I can say for Brad.

 

I can't wait for the upcoming conversation between JP and Will... Don't make us wait too long, please Mark....

I definitely think there's two sides to this story, and quite frankly, I think that both Brad and Will are just trying to piss each other off at this point. There's enough immaturity between the two of them to go around.

 

I wonder what will happen when Brad and Will both find out that overturning an emancipation degree is almost impossible? Neither one of them seems to have bothered to ask their lawyers about that. That may have an interesting impact on their relationship dynamic. (Insert evil emoticon)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The interesting take-away that I get from this chapter in the story is that Will is acting like an emancipated young man and his dad is acting like it's his place to stuff the genie back in the bottle. Neither of them is being particularly mature about it and one is a lot older and therefore, supposedly more experienced. I think that is the position that JP sees and that Brad can (or will) not. Will is testing his boundaries and every teenager does that. Because of his emancipation, he has a lot more legal leeway than most.

 

Once someone has actually achieved court-ordered emancipation, the chances of that being re-heard and reversed are very, very poor.

 

I also find it interesting that Claire and Jack are beginning to acknowledge some of their own parental failures.

 

Poor Stef. He has tried to be friend and confidant to both Brad and Will and we see how well that is working.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Mark,

Chapters 30 & 31

  • Marie: She is really ostracizing John from her. She is kind of doing the same thing JJ did before; diverting her problems (e.g. the cell phone) by telling on John (e.g. his sex life). Missing the first day is an appropriate punishment. Claire knows how important Marie's image is to her and the first day is a way to "show off".
  • HPV: I hate to say, but I knew Marie and/or Ferris would use the HPV thing against Will. Sadly I am not surprised that Kyle told Erik that he got HPV from Will (nor that Ferris or Marie backed him up). It gives Will the heads up that Kyle is helping Marie and/or Ferris that s/he not above using pawns like Erik and probably Noah. One can see Erik is gullible and that Noah is blinded by puppy-love so they are not fully in on it.
    • What would be interesting is if Ferris or Blaine (who seems to be a closet case) was the one who gave it to Kyle and the pictures were of their dicks. That is a huge issue because that is considered to be distribution of child pornography even if it is their picture. Also Kyle and Ferris would have the same MO. Both were turned down by Will and would be insulted enough to plot against him. It is kind of like he turned me down so I will ruin his sex life mentality of high school.

    [*]Action Plan: I have to agree with Darius the best action is to keep your cool and keep tabs on who’s who in plotting against you. While I approved of talking to Mr. Sessions Will is right that it would give Ferris a hint that the pictures are getting to Will. At the least it may remove Ferris from committees respected by the faculty. What would have been better, Will should have asked him to look at the school video cameras if they had them to prove Ferris did it. That would have allowed a police investigation into the issue.

Chapter 32

Stef:

  • I am highly disappointed by Stef. He broke Will's confidence yet again, but at some level I can see his point. He did observe Will's date with Erik, but Will did mess up by telling him Erik had HPV. That to Stef would have reminded him about the losses to him due to HIV/AIDs. Also while Stef did sleep around at Will’s age Will does not have the same reasons as Stef. Stef did it to support himself and his mother in Paris. The only thing similar to the situation are their libidos.
  • Behavior- Stef needs to remember that while he can hide things from business individual he has a harder time hiding his emotions to those he loves. I understand that he is frustrated with Will not repairing his relationship with Brad. It puts pressure on Stef when he tries to juggle both of his blood brothers. This frustration and pressure would be noticed by Will who can even read JP.

Will:

  • Sides-It would be a struggle to notice that you agree with the parents, but want to choose the "kid's side".
  • Giving- I am glad that Will gave to Kai without seeking things in return. I do not understand Brad's shock that Will would give to Kai. He needs to remember that he and his family showed Will the importance of giving back.
  • Development- Will tends to be in a catch 22. He deals with individuals his age as an adult, but this does not generally carry over to dealing with other adults. He is mature, but cognitively he is still developing. Hormones alone can increase his anger outbursts toward adults. I think the difference between how he deals with kids vs. adults is that he expects more from adults. When they let him down he loses respect for them. His points are valid, but he may show his point more effectively if he acts as if Brad and Stef do not bother him. Basically their complaints are so ridiculous they do not warrant me lowering to their level mentality.

Brad:

  • Hypocrite- Brad is showing himself to be a hypocrite, but his actions are common. Many parents want their kids to act better than they did before them. However, I have to call him on the drug use. Will rarely over drinks. The only thing he uses regularly in Weed and that is not as damaging as alcohol, cocaine, acid, or E. So in a sense Will is doing better so far, but he did start earlier than Brad. Also while Brad was not a virgin he did not sleep around like Will.
  • Law- While Will’s drinking and sex are valid reasons to evoke his emancipation Brad would effectively end Will’s relationship and probably JP’s respect for him. He always hated Will pulling the court card, but does not seem to relate his reaction to Will’s similar response. However, he is not thinking logically. He assumes Will will have a sex room (although this may push Will to go with it) and he has not proven that Will has had large numbers of sexual partner or an open bar in JP’s house. He could confirm the bar, but the other two are hearsay.
  • Idiocy- That is the only word I can use from Brad stating JP’s house was not a good place for Will. Brad has said before that JP has more influence over Will. If he was rationale he would have used that to his advantage. Instead he took his anger out on JP for sticking up for Will.

JP:

  • Giving- Will was not the only giver. JP's gift to Kai's father was so sweet. He is such a given person in that he does not seek recognition or things in return. This is a trait Tonto would be proud of the most.
  • Validity- Again JP is the voice of logic and reason. Sadly those do not reach people until their jets have cooled. I doubt Brad or Stef will realize their faults until Will calmly discusses it with them.

Random Comments

  • Robbie: I always find his movie production interesting. Harry Potter alone is a big money investment, but the Princess Diaries was a good box hit as well. Today my paper had a article on what the kindergartners wanted to be when they grew up and 24 girls and one boy wanted to be a princess. However, I would love to have Will meet Daniel Radcliffe. I mean Wade met Matthew Shepard and Will meeting Daniel would make my day.
  • Claire: She showed her good qualities as a leader. She apologized for Marie's actions to school, knew that she could not give advice on Will without acknowledging her own faults, and most importantly she intuitively knew why Will did not want to open up to anyone but JP about school.

I cannot wait for the next chapter to see how JP deals with the school issue,

Kody

P.S. you remind me of a professor I had in college. You both have similar ways of thinking and writing that makes one respect your points.

Link to comment

This one made me cry. It is so sad to see the turmoil in the relationships between Will, Brad, and Stef. And knowing that it doesn't have to be. I like Will alot, and Brad and Stef also. I used to like Marie, but she has turned into such a snobbish and dumb bitch! She needs a good, old-fashioned, Black, Southern ass whooping! LOL Such are the lives of teenagers. It's amazing to see, but completely understandable, that JP is the one who Will trusts the most with these type issues. JP gets Will better than Brad and Stef, because he listens and doesn't try to intervene. Brad is so controlling, and Stef has a hard time tearing himself away from his favorite son/nephew. Happy to see Will develop good relationships. Don't know who I'd like to see him with: Kai or Erik. I kinda like 'em both. We'll see. Can't wait to read what will happen next.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/28/2013 07:30 AM, Daddydavek said:
The interesting take-away that I get from this chapter in the story is that Will is acting like an emancipated young man and his dad is acting like it's his place to stuff the genie back in the bottle. Neither of them is being particularly mature about it and one is a lot older and therefore, supposedly more experienced. I think that is the position that JP sees and that Brad can (or will) not. Will is testing his boundaries and every teenager does that. Because of his emancipation, he has a lot more legal leeway than most.

 

Once someone has actually achieved court-ordered emancipation, the chances of that being re-heard and reversed are very, very poor.

 

I also find it interesting that Claire and Jack are beginning to acknowledge some of their own parental failures.

 

Poor Stef. He has tried to be friend and confidant to both Brad and Will and we see how well that is working.

I wonder how long it's going to take the two of the to figure out it's not easy to overturn emancipation? Stef should have known better.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/29/2013 08:22 AM, KodeOwl said:
Mark,

Chapters 30 & 31

  • Marie: She is really ostracizing John from her. She is kind of doing the same thing JJ did before; diverting her problems (e.g. the cell phone) by telling on John (e.g. his sex life). Missing the first day is an appropriate punishment. Claire knows how important Marie's image is to her and the first day is a way to "show off".
  • HPV: I hate to say, but I knew Marie and/or Ferris would use the HPV thing against Will. Sadly I am not surprised that Kyle told Erik that he got HPV from Will (nor that Ferris or Marie backed him up). It gives Will the heads up that Kyle is helping Marie and/or Ferris that s/he not above using pawns like Erik and probably Noah. One can see Erik is gullible and that Noah is blinded by puppy-love so they are not fully in on it.
    • What would be interesting is if Ferris or Blaine (who seems to be a closet case) was the one who gave it to Kyle and the pictures were of their dicks. That is a huge issue because that is considered to be distribution of child pornography even if it is their picture. Also Kyle and Ferris would have the same MO. Both were turned down by Will and would be insulted enough to plot against him. It is kind of like he turned me down so I will ruin his sex life mentality of high school.

    [*]Action Plan: I have to agree with Darius the best action is to keep your cool and keep tabs on who’s who in plotting against you. While I approved of talking to Mr. Sessions Will is right that it would give Ferris a hint that the pictures are getting to Will. At the least it may remove Ferris from committees respected by the faculty. What would have been better, Will should have asked him to look at the school video cameras if they had them to prove Ferris did it. That would have allowed a police investigation into the issue.

Chapter 32

Stef:

  • I am highly disappointed by Stef. He broke Will's confidence yet again, but at some level I can see his point. He did observe Will's date with Erik, but Will did mess up by telling him Erik had HPV. That to Stef would have reminded him about the losses to him due to HIV/AIDs. Also while Stef did sleep around at Will’s age Will does not have the same reasons as Stef. Stef did it to support himself and his mother in Paris. The only thing similar to the situation are their libidos.
  • Behavior- Stef needs to remember that while he can hide things from business individual he has a harder time hiding his emotions to those he loves. I understand that he is frustrated with Will not repairing his relationship with Brad. It puts pressure on Stef when he tries to juggle both of his blood brothers. This frustration and pressure would be noticed by Will who can even read JP.

Will:

  • Sides-It would be a struggle to notice that you agree with the parents, but want to choose the "kid's side".
  • Giving- I am glad that Will gave to Kai without seeking things in return. I do not understand Brad's shock that Will would give to Kai. He needs to remember that he and his family showed Will the importance of giving back.
  • Development- Will tends to be in a catch 22. He deals with individuals his age as an adult, but this does not generally carry over to dealing with other adults. He is mature, but cognitively he is still developing. Hormones alone can increase his anger outbursts toward adults. I think the difference between how he deals with kids vs. adults is that he expects more from adults. When they let him down he loses respect for them. His points are valid, but he may show his point more effectively if he acts as if Brad and Stef do not bother him. Basically their complaints are so ridiculous they do not warrant me lowering to their level mentality.

Brad:

  • Hypocrite- Brad is showing himself to be a hypocrite, but his actions are common. Many parents want their kids to act better than they did before them. However, I have to call him on the drug use. Will rarely over drinks. The only thing he uses regularly in Weed and that is not as damaging as alcohol, cocaine, acid, or E. So in a sense Will is doing better so far, but he did start earlier than Brad. Also while Brad was not a virgin he did not sleep around like Will.
  • Law- While Will’s drinking and sex are valid reasons to evoke his emancipation Brad would effectively end Will’s relationship and probably JP’s respect for him. He always hated Will pulling the court card, but does not seem to relate his reaction to Will’s similar response. However, he is not thinking logically. He assumes Will will have a sex room (although this may push Will to go with it) and he has not proven that Will has had large numbers of sexual partner or an open bar in JP’s house. He could confirm the bar, but the other two are hearsay.
  • Idiocy- That is the only word I can use from Brad stating JP’s house was not a good place for Will. Brad has said before that JP has more influence over Will. If he was rationale he would have used that to his advantage. Instead he took his anger out on JP for sticking up for Will.

JP:

  • Giving- Will was not the only giver. JP's gift to Kai's father was so sweet. He is such a given person in that he does not seek recognition or things in return. This is a trait Tonto would be proud of the most.
  • Validity- Again JP is the voice of logic and reason. Sadly those do not reach people until their jets have cooled. I doubt Brad or Stef will realize their faults until Will calmly discusses it with them.

Random Comments

  • Robbie: I always find his movie production interesting. Harry Potter alone is a big money investment, but the Princess Diaries was a good box hit as well. Today my paper had a article on what the kindergartners wanted to be when they grew up and 24 girls and one boy wanted to be a princess. However, I would love to have Will meet Daniel Radcliffe. I mean Wade met Matthew Shepard and Will meeting Daniel would make my day.
  • Claire: She showed her good qualities as a leader. She apologized for Marie's actions to school, knew that she could not give advice on Will without acknowledging her own faults, and most importantly she intuitively knew why Will did not want to open up to anyone but JP about school.

I cannot wait for the next chapter to see how JP deals with the school issue,

Kody

P.S. you remind me of a professor I had in college. You both have similar ways of thinking and writing that makes one respect your points.

I love your reviews, even if my ADD (and this kludgy review system) makes it difficult to sift through and comment on all of of your observations. So I'll make a general observation. I think it's pretty funny that people think they can tell Will what he can and can't do with his dick. Whether he's breaking the law or not is pretty irrelevant, since all the people involved in this are blatant lawbreakers (Stef and Brad, especially). But that's alright. I'll have fun with that later on. :-)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/30/2013 12:02 PM, athena80 said:
This one made me cry. It is so sad to see the turmoil in the relationships between Will, Brad, and Stef. And knowing that it doesn't have to be. I like Will alot, and Brad and Stef also. I used to like Marie, but she has turned into such a snobbish and dumb bitch! She needs a good, old-fashioned, Black, Southern ass whooping! LOL Such are the lives of teenagers. It's amazing to see, but completely understandable, that JP is the one who Will trusts the most with these type issues. JP gets Will better than Brad and Stef, because he listens and doesn't try to intervene. Brad is so controlling, and Stef has a hard time tearing himself away from his favorite son/nephew. Happy to see Will develop good relationships. Don't know who I'd like to see him with: Kai or Erik. I kinda like 'em both. We'll see. Can't wait to read what will happen next.
You make some really good observations, and your comment mirrors Sharon's, in that Brad doesn't talk to Will, he talks at Will.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

JP must be sooo tired of having to explain to Brad and Stef where they go wrong with Will. :rolleyes:  I chuckled about Robbie having fun being on the right side this time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..