Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,290 Words
  • 7,679 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

9.11 - 37. Chapter 37: Escape

Posted on September 11, 2013, twelve years after this horrible event.

September 11, 2001

9:10am: North Tower

 

We were walking down the stairs slowly, ever so slowly, a step at a time, as masses of people tried to get out of the building. There was only room for two or three people to walk down the stairs, side by side. “You think we should try different stairs?” I asked Stef.

“We are already down to the 25th floor,” he observed. “I think we should stay with this flight.”

“They’re all this crowded,” the guy behind us said. “I tried the other stairs and decided to slug it out on these.”

“Thanks,” I told him.

“No problem. You could try the elevators. They’re working below the 45th floor, I hear.”

“No thank you,” Stef said hastily, making me chuckle. “What was that explosion we heard?”

“The one about five minutes ago?” a lady in front of us asked.

“Yes,” Stef responded.

“I figured it was just some extra explosion in this building,” the guy behind us said. “Shit, a plane that big hits a building like this, that’s going to create some problems.”

“A plane hit the building?” I asked. We’d been so focused on getting out of here; we hadn’t really bothered to think about what had happened.

“Yeah,” the guy said. “Where were you guys, anyway?”

“We were on an elevator, and the cable got cut. We managed to climb out the top and get out through an escape door,” I said quickly.

“You were lucky,” he said. I agreed with him.

“That second explosion was from another plane hitting,” the guy behind him said.

“What do you mean? Another plane hit?” the first guy asked. “No wonder this tower is fucked up.”

“No, dumbass, another plane hit the South Tower. Damn near in the middle,” he said. I stared at Stef, totally freaked out.

“They were all in that building,” I told Stef. “Holy shit, everyone was in that building!” I started to panic, and was about to plow all of these people down to get out of here and see if I could help them, but Stef put his hand on my shoulder to calm me.

“There is nothing we can do but work our way out of here,” he said, his voice smooth and relaxed, not because he was relaxed, but because he was trying to keep me from panicking.

I pulled out my phone and started dialing, trying to get in touch with anyone I could. I saw my message light blinking, and remembered that Robbie had left me a message. Amazingly enough, I managed to retrieve it. “We saw the explosion, and heard a plane hit your building. God, I hope you weren’t in there. More than anything else, I hope you’re alright. Call me if you can, and tell me you’re OK.”

“What did he say?” Stef asked.

“He was worried about us when he saw the plane hit this building,” I said, smiling as I did. We’d been fighting lately, which happened sometimes, but I loved him, and he loved me. Right now, that was enough. Stef and I both kept trying to call our various family members here in New York, even as we crept down the stairs at a painfully slow rate.

“Perhaps you should try to call Claire,” Stef suggested. He had stopped calling because he was using his hand to hold the railing and ease the pressure on his sore ankle.

“Good idea,” I said. I dialed her home phone number and was stunned to hear it ringing.

“Hello,” I heard her say.

“Claire, it’s Brad. Have you talked to anyone else?”

“You’re alive!” she exclaimed so loudly she hurt my ear. “Are you out of the tower? Are you safe?”

“Stef and I are in the stairwell on the 20th floor, trying to get out of here, but there’s a traffic jam with people trying to work their way out,” I told her.

“Are you both alright?”

“Stef sprained his ankle, but we’re fine,” I said. I didn’t want to talk about our problems, I wanted answers from her.

“I haven’t heard from anyone else yet,” she said, sensing my priorities. “If anyone calls, I’ll leave a message on your phone.”

“Cell phone service here is pretty spotty. The lines must be jammed. I think we’ll all congregate at Jeanine’s house,” I told her. That made the most sense, since it would be where Jeanine, Hank, and Maddy would naturally go after they got out of the building. If they got out of the building, I reminded myself sadly. “Can you let anyone who calls know that’s where we’re going?”

“I can,” she said. “What about Daddy?”

“He was going to New York University this morning, so he’s probably alright.” I paused before going on, because I really didn’t want to think about it, but I had to. “Robbie, Darius, and Will were with Jeanine and Hank in the South Tower. They told us a plane hit it too.”

“Oh no,” Claire said. “I was so hoping they weren’t there.”

“What happened?”

“We were watching the news this morning and saw your building on fire, and then as if from nowhere another big jet flew right into the South Tower. It seemed to hit a little more than halfway up,” she said.

“Are they evacuating people from the top floors? We haven’t heard any helicopters.”

“They’re claiming they can’t do that,” she said.

“Why can’t they do that? They’re just going to let those people die? My sons, my partner is up there! They can’t just sit on their asses!” I felt Stef’s hand on my shoulder again, reminding me to calm down.

“I’ll see what I can find out,” she promised.

“No,” I said. “Just keep your line clear in case someone calls.” There was really nothing Claire could do from California that we couldn’t accomplish here on the ground. If we ever got to the ground.

“Be careful,” she pleaded.

“We will,” I said. “I think the worst is over, at least for us.”

“Brad.”

“What?”

“You’re still my favorite brother, and I still love you,” she said.

“I love you too,” I said, smiling briefly. I was too keyed up for emotional exchanges, so I did my best, but it was sweet of her to say that.

 

9:12am: South Tower

 

“Are you alright?” Darius asked as we charged down the stairs as fast as we could. He was asking because Maddy was howling now. There should have been emergency lights, but there weren’t any, and but for the light from Darius’ phone, we were in the dark.

“We’re fine, just keep going,” I said. There was nothing I could do for her; she was just going to have to cry. I understood her annoyance, because the smoke and the heat were making us very uncomfortable, but that was to be expected when the whole fucking building was on fire. I heard Robbie plodding along behind me; his presence was comforting.

We rounded a bend in the stairs and encountered a group of people heading up. Their flashlights blinded us when they aimed them at our faces, which I found incredibly annoying. “Where are you going?” an older guy asked.

“Down,” Darius said.

“We just came from there,” he said. “The smoke is too intense. We have to go up on the roof. They can evacuate us by air.”

“Did you try to go all the way through to the bottom?” Robbie asked.

“No, but the smoke was so thick, it has to be choked off,” he said confidently.

“We were up on the roof, and there was no sign of air evacuation,” Darius said.

“They’ll come for us,” he said. “Come on. You can’t go that way.” He started walking up past us, with several people filing behind him.

“What do you think?” Darius asked.

“Dude, they didn’t even try to get through,” I said. “There were no helicopters around for those people on the other tower. Shit, they were jumping out of the building.”

“Yeah, but maybe they’ll be there now,” he said.

Robbie thought about it, and then shook his head. “We were already there. Let’s try this. If we make it through, and we can get out of here, that leaves fewer people for them to evacuate by air anyway.”

“I don’t know,” Darius said dubiously. Only now I’d made my decision, and I was firmly committed.

“Look, Pop was all but telling us that this building is toast. I want to get the fuck out of here, and as far away from it as possible. I’m going down these fucking stairs, if I have to walk through a wall of flames to do it,” I said, and poked him in the chest with my finger. He stared at me, so I pushed past him, taking the lead, and continuing down.

“You should come up to the roof with us,” a lady said.

“No, we’re going down,” I said firmly.

“Wait,” she said. I was about to ignore her when she handed me her flashlight. “You’ll need this.”

“Thanks,” I said, genuinely touched by her gesture. In this dark, cavernous stairway, a flashlight was like gold.

“Good luck,” she said, and then vanished. I started going down the stairs, now armed with a flashlight and a sense of purpose.

“I hope you’re right,” I heard Darius mutter as he and Robbie followed me. “You want me to carry Maddy for a while?”

“I can carry her too,” Robbie chimed in.

The thought of giving her up, of letting someone else be responsible for her at this point, was unthinkable. I’d made a pledge to my mother to watch out for her, and I would honor that pledge. “No. I’ve got her.”

The lower we got, the smokier it got. I grabbed a washcloth out of Maddy’s bag and poured some water on it, then held it over her nose and mouth to try and filter the air. She stopped screaming, probably because she was so exhausted. I watched the floor numbers decline as we went, until we got to the 80th floor. The smoke was so thick we couldn’t breathe, and I was getting really worried about Maddy.

“Dude,” Darius said, then coughed some more. “We can’t make it.”

“Yes we can,” I said. I dropped down to my hands and knees, because it was less smoky on the floor, and crawled down the stairs, going as fast as I could, while trying to keep the cloth over Maddy’s face. I kept coughing and gagging, to the point where I wanted to roll over and just die. The smoke wasn’t the only challenge; there was the heat, the heat from massive fires that must be burning on the other side of these walls and doors. Slowly we crawled down the stairs to the 79th floor, where the smoke was just as bad, but we kept on going.

“How low did the plane hit?” Darius asked. I didn’t answer. I didn’t have the energy or the breath to say unnecessary words, and I was too focused on getting Maddy and myself down below this nightmare. I paused to cough and gag, and miraculously found a pocket of fresh air. I took a deep breath, stood up, and all but sprinted down the next flight of stairs. When we got to the 78th floor, the smoke abated, and so did the heat. I turned to see Darius and Robbie behind me, their faces black from the smoke, and as I looked down I saw that Maddy’s was black too, except for where I’d held the washcloth over her nose and mouth. The washcloth was black too. I wondered how much shit we’d inhaled. We paused briefly to take a deep breath, and now that it wasn’t so smoky, Maddy decided to cry again.

“We have to keep moving,” I told Darius.

“Right,” he agreed.

“I’m going back up to get Hank and your mother,” Robbie announced.

“Call them instead,” I said. “We may need your help.” We stood there, wasting precious seconds while he and Darius both tried to call them.

“It’s no good,” Robbie said. “I can’t get through. I have to go back and get them.”

Darius walked up to him and gave him a big hug. “Hurry,” he said to Robbie.

“I will,” he said. Then he was in front of me, and I felt his arms envelop me, squeezing me and Maddy in one of his amazing hugs.

“You have to hurry,” I said.

Darius was holding the flashlight so I could make out Robbie’s face, and see his eyes. “I want you to do me a favor.”

“What?” I asked.

“If I don’t make it out of here, take care of your father for me,” he said.

“You’ll make it out...” I said, but he stopped me by putting his finger gently on my lips.

“If I don’t, you need to take care of him. He thinks he’s so strong and so powerful, but he’s not. He grabs for control, and tries to run everything, because he’s afraid. So if I’m gone, you have to watch out for him.”

“He doesn’t even like me,” I said. It dawned on me that we were talking about him as if he were still alive, when there was a good chance he wasn’t. That thought, combined with this talk, threatened to overwhelm all of my emotions.

“He loves you almost too much, that’s why he’s such an asshole when he deals with you,” Robbie said. “That’s why you freak him out so much.”

“If you say so,” I said dubiously.

“I say so,” he said lovingly. “He will need you, and you have to promise me you’ll be there for him.”

“I promise,” I said, even as my voice cracked.

“I love you too, just not as much as he does,” he joked, to make me chuckle.

“I love you too,” I said, barely stopping myself from sobbing.

“I have to go. You two get Maddy out of here, and get the fuck away from this building. It’s going down, and you need to be as far away from it as possible.”

“What about Dad and Stef?” I asked.

“They’ll know to do the same thing,” he said. “I don’t have time to argue with you. When you’re out of here, go to your mother’s house. We’ll meet you there. Am I clear?”

“You’re clear,” Darius said, and even he was choked up.

“One more thing, just in case. I want you to tell your father that he is the one love of my life. There is no one who could even come close to him. He made me very happy. Most of the time.” We chuckled at that, and then saw his back briefly as he tore back up the stairs, back into hell.

“Let’s get going,” Darius said. Now that we were below the fires, we were able to keep up a decent pace.

“See if you can call Mom,” I said. “Tell them they can make it this way.”

“Got it,” Darius said. I heard him behind me, his feet clomping steadily even as he kept trying to call them. I was so focused on what I was doing; I was totally surprised when I heard him respond. “Mom? Where are you?”

“Tell them, before you get cut off,” I said. Maddy decided that it was time for her to cry again.

“Listen,” Darius said. “You can get through on Stairwell A. It’s smoky as fuck, but you can make it.” He paused for a bit. “When you get to the 81st floor, things get tough, but keep going, and then it gets easier after the 78th floor. Pop is coming back up to help you guys make it down.” He paused again. “We will. I love you too.”

“What did she say?” I had to shout so he could hear me over Maddy’s shrieks.

“They were still up there, Hank’s captain told her to wait for help to arrive before evacuating,” he said, really angry. “She says she convinced Hank not to wait any longer and they’re starting down now.”

“What time is it?”

“Close to 9:25 or so,” he said. I looked at the door we passed and saw that we were at the 55th floor. We’d made pretty good progress so far. I thought we’d done well to get through the inferno and down fifty flights of stairs in fifteen minutes.

“What else did she say?” I asked. I slipped on a stair and barely caught myself. The flashlight dropped out of my hand. Darius went in front of me and took the lead, and picked up the flashlight.

“She said that she loved us,” Darius said, choked up. I bit back my own tears.

“Can you try and call Dad and Stef? And Grand?” I asked, panting from talking and going down the stairs at the same time.

“Dude, I’m not calling anyone, I’m just trying to get us the fuck out of here. Shut up and move your feet,” he said. We picked up our pace, going as fast as we could until we ran into people, then our pace slowed. There were emergency lights now, so we put our flashlight in Maddy’s bag, and plodded on.

The building seemed to be falling apart all around us. The walls were creaking and cracking, and there was constant noise, like things were snapping apart. We ignored it, determined to get out of there, to save ourselves, and to get out of the way for the people behind us.

One woman stopped in front of us. “I need to go check on Maury,” she said.

Darius didn’t miss a beat, but surged around her. “There’s no going back,” I told her.

“Keep moving,” the man behind me said, even as he dodged past her.

We saw firefighters going up the stairs, carrying stretchers, trying to save people. They went up on the opposite side, and we all clung to the wall on the right side, staying out of their way. At first it was annoying, because they stopped our progress, but then we saw them, not their uniforms, but the actual men wearing them. In the grim light, the determination on their faces was unshakeable. There was one firefighter with dark hair and a big nose, who was probably in his early twenties, who just exuded an air of confidence. His nametag said ‘Martinelli’. He reminded me of that John Carullo guy who was a friend of Matt’s, and of Tony’s friend Carmine, the one who’d fucked me on the float trip. As he walked up the stairs, our eyes connected, and he smiled at me slightly. When he walked past me, he reached out and patted my shoulder and nodded. I was stunned at how brave he was, going up when the rest of us were trying to escape from this doomed building.

I turned, even as I kept walking. “You guys have to get out of here,” I said to him, more of a plea. “This building is going to collapse.”

“We’ve got to help someone three floors up, then we’re going back down,” he said, and vanished up the stairs. Even as we went down, there were more firefighters going up. I gave up on trying to say anything to them, because they were focused on their duty, and they were determined to save who they could. Maddy cried again, and I tried to settle her down, even as I marveled at the bravery and dedication of those men.

 

9:20am: The World Trade Center Complex

 

“I don’t care who the fuck you are, you’re not going through there,” the cop told me. “This area is set aside for emergency responders. The last thing we need when we’re trying to evacuate people and treat the injured is a bunch of people lurking around.”

“I am not allowed to even return to my hotel?” I asked, assuming that would work. “I have a suite at the Marriott World Trade Center.”

He laughed. “That hotel has already been evacuated.”

“Where are the injured people from the buildings being taken?” I asked. I figured that if I could not connect with Stef, or anyone else, I would at least be able to find out if they were hurt.

“Are you a doctor?” he asked.

“I am,” I said. Not exactly a lie, but certainly not the kind of doctor he was referring to.

“It would have been helpful if you’d have said that in the beginning,” he said, giving me some serious attitude.

“In any event, I have now explained it to you, so can you please direct me to the triage area?”

“It’s being set up on Vesey and West,” he said, and let me through the cordon. “They were set up outside the North Tower, but they moved it, or they’re moving it.”

“Thank you,” I said, and hurried down the street toward Vesey. When I was out of his line of sight, I went instead to the Towers. The chaos was indescribable, as the police worked to keep people away from the Towers, and worked to route people out of the buildings. I paused to look up at these once-magnificent buildings, which were no more than burning pyres. The North Tower had been hit first, but much closer to the top. That was where Stef and Brad were. The South Tower had been hit toward the middle. Smoke was billowing out of the hole the plane had made when it had crashed into the building. I tried to decide if the buildings looked stable or not, then chided myself for being an idiot. There was no reasonable way for me to make that assessment from this vantage point.

There were streams of people pouring out of the complex, hurrying to get away from the buildings, while some stopped to look back at them. I stood off to the side, a detached observer, as some medical personnel helped a man to a first aid station. One man walked out of the complex and fell to his knees, sobbing, until another approached him and put his arm around him, gently helping him up, and leading him away. A woman came out and fell to the ground, but she was not mourning, she was thankful. “Praise Jesus!” she said several times, before she too began to leave the area.

I watched as these people poured out of the complex, in varying stages of panic, while emergency teams surged in. I scanned the crowds for the members of my family, or anyone else I knew, but could identify no one. One man was standing near the towers, too near, and I watched in horror as a piece of debris fell on him, mortally wounding him. He was dead before anyone could get to him. That merely encouraged the police to more aggressively move people away from the buildings, and that was my cue to find another spot to view the chaos.

Just as I began to head toward the triage area, two firefighters approached, carrying a stretcher with a wounded man. He was shrieking in pain from the burns that must cover most of his body. “Are you a doctor?” they demanded.

“Not the kind you are looking for,” I said. “The triage is that way.” I pointed in the direction of West and Vesey. They got on their radio before they even got to that area and an ambulance arrived to haul this patient away. Even after he was gone, his blackened face and scorched skin was imprinted in my brain.

I went to the triage area anyway, and found medical personnel scurrying around, trying to help the injured people. Some were in a very bad way, while others were able to walk, and needed less intensive medical attention. “Help or get out,” a nurse snapped.

There was a young man lying on an improvised bed, looking around with his eyes wide with fear, so I went over and sat next to him. “Are you a doctor?” he asked.

“I am a history professor,” I told him.

“What are you doing here?” he demanded.

“Looking for family members,” I told him. “While I waited, I thought I would come talk to you.”

“My legs hurt,” he said. “I can’t feel them at all.” I ignored the fact that those were mutually exclusive statements.

“What happened?”

“I was in an elevator and the cable broke. All I remember was landing and having enormous pain in my legs, and the next thing I know, I’m here,” he said.

“Are you in a lot of pain?” I asked.

“No,” he said, and then looked at me earnestly. “What if I can’t walk?”

I smiled gently and took his hand. “The measure of a man is not his walk, his legs, or even what is between his legs.” He smiled slightly at that. “It is right here,” I said, tapping his head.

“You mean my handsome looks?” he joked.

“You are quite handsome, and that is certainly an attribute, but I was referring to your mind. What do you do for a living?”

“I’m a commodities trader,” he said.

“And you work at a desk?” He nodded. “Then you will probably do that again.”

“Alright Paul, we’re moving you to the hospital,” a nurse said, interrupting our conversation.

“Good luck,” I told him, and held his hand.

“Thanks,” he said. They lugged him off, and I found another person to talk to, a young woman this time, who had burns on her legs, and was barely able to fight the pain. And so it went, where I would talk to these people, trying to comfort them for a brief period of time until they were taken away to a more substantive treatment area. Talking to them helped ease my anxiety, and hopefully it helped ease some of their pain.

I was talking to a man in his forties whose arm was broken so badly it was dangling by his side, when a doctor came up. “Who are you?” he demanded.

“Professor JP Crampton,” I said.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, and looked around as if he were planning to have me hauled away.

“I am talking to these people until you can treat them,” I said simply. “This is Kevin Jackson. He is a financial analyst, but he wants to learn about horticulture, and maybe farm someday.”

“Indeed?” the doctor asked.

“Probably not going to happen with my arm like this,” Kevin said.

“I’ll bet we can fix it,” the doctor said. “We’re shipping you out.” They gently led him away.

“I did not mean to interfere,” I said to the doctor. “I was trying to help.”

“You seem harmless enough,” he said, and went to treat other patients, trying to heal their bodies while I continued to try and palliate their minds.

 

9:30am: The Pentagon

 

“As you can see, Senator Danfield, we’ve made excellent progress on our renovations in this section,” the guide said. She was probably in her mid-twenties, with beautiful long chestnut hair, a thin body, and tits that were just slightly bigger than a handful.

“It certainly is very attractive here,” I said, flirting shamelessly with her. She had been giving me ‘fuck me’ looks since we’d been introduced, and she’d conveniently arranged to take me on this tour alone. We were wandering through the western wing of the Pentagon, where they had finished renovating the offices. They were mostly empty, and there was hardly anyone around. “Which office is your favorite?”

“This one,” she said, pointing to one that was in front of us. It was non-descript, and my smile grew bigger, as did my dick.

“Let’s take a look at it,” I said. She led me in and I shut the door behind us. “Does this door lock?”

“No,” she said, and raised her eyebrow provocatively. “Why would you need a lock on the door?”

“Sometimes people want a little privacy,” I said, as I moved closer to her. She didn’t move away; if anything, she moved closer to me.

“Privacy can be nice,” she said. “In that case, a strong man like you could probably push that desk against the door.”

“Like this?” I asked, as I easily slid the government issue desk so it firmly blocked anyone from coming in.

“Just like that,” she said. She moved in now, and put her hands on my lapel. “Now that we have privacy, what are we going to do?”

I leaned in and acted like I was going to kiss her. She closed her eyes and sighed, even as she readied her lips for me. She opened her eyes to find me smirking at her, but before that could annoy her, I kissed her. She responded passionately. As I kissed her I unzipped her dress and ran my hands up her back, undoing her bra as I did, in one smooth maneuver. She dropped her arms, letting her dress fall to the floor, even as I pulled off her bra and began to caress her beautiful breasts. I massaged them, and then lowered my mouth down to her nipples, working one, then the other.

“We don’t have much time,” she said, as she lowered my pants. My hand sought out her groin, and found her dripping wet, and my touch was enough to prompt her to pull me down onto the carpet and on top of her. I felt my dick slide into her smoothly, with no resistance at all, as she moaned and thrust back into me. “God, how I want you,” she moaned.

I began to slide in and out of her, controlling my pace to make sure I maximized our pleasure in what little time we had. “You feel so good,” I purred into her ear. “So fucking good.”

“Ah!” she cried out softly, since we were in the Pentagon. I’d been maintaining a steady rhythm, but I could feel her arousal, so I began to pump harder. “Oh God! Oh God! I’m going to cum!”

“Me too, honey. Me too. You’re gonna bring me off with you,” I said, as I felt my orgasm building. And then I came, blasting into her, allowing myself to thoroughly enjoy it. Before I could fully recover, there was an extremely loud noise, as if there had been a massive explosion. I felt searing pain, a stark contrast to the pleasure I’d just experienced, and then I felt nothing.

Posted on September 11, 2013, twelve years after this horrible event.
Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The chaos continues.

 

Neither tower has collapsed as of yet. None of the CAP characters who were there are out of them yet. Robbie is going back up for Hank and Jeanine. JP is frightfully close by towers.

 

Senator Danfield's apparent demise was somehow a sort of dark comedic relief in an otherwise too grim story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The multiple perspectives continue to add to the intensity and to end the chapter with Senator Danfield in the Pentagon as it is hit is brilliant story telling. Robbie again stands out with his selflessness, once he was relatively sure that the kids were on the right path he took it upon himself to try and ensure Jeanine and Hank made it out as well, my fingers are crossed extra tight for him. I can't write enough accolades for how well you have handled this story. I will however make a plea for more more more soon soon soon!

As always, thank you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well, Brad and Stef are safe. JP would be safe if he would get the hell away from the buildings. Will, Darius, and Maddy should be safe as well.

 

You figure from the time that Robbie, Darius, and Will started in this chapter at 9:12 a.m. that at least 15 minutes had lapsed. That would put them close to 9:30 a.m. when Robbie started back up after Jeanine and Hank. That would mean he would have to catch up to them coming down and then the three of them would have to come the rest of the way down all in less than 30 minutes. Tower 2 fell at 9:59 a.m. and I just don't see how the Robbie, Jeanine, and Hank could make it down in that limited time frame.

 

Senator Danfield is probably not going to make it either. If they had pushed a desk up against the door, and then were hit in the back, the door is probably blocked and even if people are trying to get others out; they probably cannot get into that room. Plus, depending on how close to the crash site the Senator and the guide were; they may have been killed instantly.

 

I pray that I am wrong and Robbie, Jeanine, and Hank all make it out. If they don't, I don't think Brad will ever recover from losing Robbie. Robbie is the only one that has ever been able to restrain Brad when he goes too far out on a limb and pull him back in. Without Robbie around, Brad will have no one to offset his desire to control everything. On top of that, losing Robbie will just make him want to control everything more. While losing his father would hurt Matt, I am so glad that the Senator and him have been able to make so much progress in repairing their relationship and are now on so much better terms. It is so hard when someone passes and you don't have a chance to make peace with them...

 

Great writing Mark, you just pulled us into the terror in such subtle little ways...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I was so much focused on the WTC that I forgot about the Pentagon, at least senator Danfield died happy. I hope that will not revive his black widow.

 

But I am angry about Robbie getting back, I know it is noble and everything but he explained things before getting down and he leaves his children, still in danger, to fetch some stubborn and not the most sympatic women. I really thought he would have escaped now it doesn't seem that way. Only 4 people escaped the south tower from above the impact through the stairway A, Robbie, Darius, Will and Maddie that was 4, now what ?

 

I admire JP he knows he cannot do anything to help his family but he stays close and helps the way he can.

 

I am more worry now than ever, I don't know how I will cope until the next chapter is posted.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It's funny, I never even thought about Senator Danfield being at the Pentagon. If the Senator dies Wade will likely really have his hands full with his mother...

Robbie… Hopefully he'll meet Jeannine and Hank coming down and still be able to make it out of the building and away from it in time. Robbie's words to Will about his dad were really something. Even if Robbie makes it and Brad doesn't fall apart, it would seem to be enough there for Will to hang onto to see his father in a new light, allowing them to work out their issues and be stronger than ever. We can only hope...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Mark,

There were thankfully not as many goosebumps as last chapter.

Brad and Stef

  • Live- While I cannot say with 100% guarantee I can certain that Brad and Stef will live due to being on the 25th floor. The major crowding was around the 40th floors so they should be safe since the North tower collapses at 10:28.
  • Worry- Brad and Stef no realize the danger to Will and co.. Stef was right to make comfort Brad to keep him from panicking. His panic would lead to little mistakes that could cost him dearly. Granted it would be unintentional, but Stef has a sprain and would not be able to pull Brad (if he was injured also) by himself.
  • Claire- It goes to show how helpless other felt in the situation. While she wants to there is really not anything she can do, but keep her phone lines open. Brad's suggestion to forward the meet up location was probably the best. It gives her a way to help and keep her focused (i.e. panicking as less as she can).

South Tower

  • Air- It is sad that there was not air transport used in the evacuations. Those going to the top would be walking toward their death. Even I would have thought like Will. That is, if they did not use air transport to evacuate North tower, why would they do so for the South. Logically if the building is going to collapse then they would not want to risk the add weight to the top. They could use a helicopter but with the smoke they may not be able to see thus endangering their own lives as well (or others if they crashed).
  • Robbie- While I hope he does not die he is a character most would regret losing. His goodbye speech was heartfelt. I do not understand why he felt the need to go to Hank and Jeannine. I understand that he has a closer relationship to Jeannine than some, but is it not more important to save your kids first. Granted he may have thought that Will and Darius would be OK and that Hank and Jeannine would need a guide out. However in that situation my kids would come first as I am sure Jeannine believed by sending them down first. They are on the 78th floor and (unless time relapses) the South tower falls at 9:59 in 22 minutes (since the Pentagon was hit at 9:37 so Danfield had 17 minutes of sex). If Robbie stays in stairwell A and does not miss the other two by checking a floor (since stairs are small) he may make it if they meet him at little more then half way up (I hope).
  • Maddy-poor Maddy. I feel sorry for her suffering since she is probably to young to understand. Her body response probably kicked in because if she falls asleep it will lower her breathing rate. The wash cloth was a good idea to lessen the smoke. Will always keep his promises. I'm glad that even in a state such as this he is still true to himself.
  • Custody- If the three adults do die it does bring into question who Maddy goes to. My guess would be Cody, but he may still not be ready for such responsibility. However, he would probably either take care of her or ask Brad to do so since Maddy is a big part of Brad's family's lives.

JP

  • Talking to the injured is probably the best thing he can do for now (a little white lie didn't hurt him ;-P). It helps other (which is so like him) and it is the best place to find his family should they make it out.

Senator Danfield

  • While it is always sad to read a characters death I prefer the senator to Wade dying any day. At least he went out after a nice fling...I guess. This will be a major blow to Wade since his relationship with his father was just starting to pick up.

Thanks for more. I was hoping for both the evacuation and the meeting up of the family member in a safe location, but I am still just as happy to read more.

Waiting for the family reunion,

Kody

Link to comment

Still holding my breath as this nightmare continues to play out as you brilliantly weave us through this mess. Nice touch with JP's interactions at triage (though I wish he would move away from those towers <cringe>).

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another gripping chapter.

 

I won't assume anything because authors get to bend reality a little, but one of the links I posted in the forums from USA Today, "Delay meant Death" or words to that effect, Hank & Jeanine's fate would have been sealed by not leaving when Will, Robbie & Darius did. The only hope for Robbie is that he wasn't able to get back up through the increasing heat and smoke.

 

I have mixed feelings on Senator Danfield. He was not one of the more lovable characters early on, but he has largely redeemed himself (as much as that is possible for his horrible actions). It is sad to think Wade may not get the chance to continue the healing process. I am hopeful he can still find his way out.

 

Overall though, a tremendous chapter...... I do wonder what is rolling through JJ's mind now as things unfold further.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 12:28 AM, Daddydavek said:
The chaos continues.

 

Neither tower has collapsed as of yet. None of the CAP characters who were there are out of them yet. Robbie is going back up for Hank and Jeanine. JP is frightfully close by towers.

 

Senator Danfield's apparent demise was somehow a sort of dark comedic relief in an otherwise too grim story.

I think of the Bridgemont stories, where some of those men (Lieutenant Grafton comes to mind) die in battle, doing just what they wanted to do. I think that in a similar vein, Senator Danfield died doing what he liked best. :-)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 12:32 AM, Miles Long said:
The multiple perspectives continue to add to the intensity and to end the chapter with Senator Danfield in the Pentagon as it is hit is brilliant story telling. Robbie again stands out with his selflessness, once he was relatively sure that the kids were on the right path he took it upon himself to try and ensure Jeanine and Hank made it out as well, my fingers are crossed extra tight for him. I can't write enough accolades for how well you have handled this story. I will however make a plea for more more more soon soon soon!

As always, thank you.

I'm glad you like the multiple perspectives. I was initially worried that it would be confusing, but this is such a collage of events, it was the only way, other than switching to 3rd person. And that's just not CAP.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 12:44 AM, centexhairysub said:
Well, Brad and Stef are safe. JP would be safe if he would get the hell away from the buildings. Will, Darius, and Maddy should be safe as well.

 

You figure from the time that Robbie, Darius, and Will started in this chapter at 9:12 a.m. that at least 15 minutes had lapsed. That would put them close to 9:30 a.m. when Robbie started back up after Jeanine and Hank. That would mean he would have to catch up to them coming down and then the three of them would have to come the rest of the way down all in less than 30 minutes. Tower 2 fell at 9:59 a.m. and I just don't see how the Robbie, Jeanine, and Hank could make it down in that limited time frame.

 

Senator Danfield is probably not going to make it either. If they had pushed a desk up against the door, and then were hit in the back, the door is probably blocked and even if people are trying to get others out; they probably cannot get into that room. Plus, depending on how close to the crash site the Senator and the guide were; they may have been killed instantly.

 

I pray that I am wrong and Robbie, Jeanine, and Hank all make it out. If they don't, I don't think Brad will ever recover from losing Robbie. Robbie is the only one that has ever been able to restrain Brad when he goes too far out on a limb and pull him back in. Without Robbie around, Brad will have no one to offset his desire to control everything. On top of that, losing Robbie will just make him want to control everything more. While losing his father would hurt Matt, I am so glad that the Senator and him have been able to make so much progress in repairing their relationship and are now on so much better terms. It is so hard when someone passes and you don't have a chance to make peace with them...

 

Great writing Mark, you just pulled us into the terror in such subtle little ways...

I'll have more to say on all this after chapter 38 posts. I envision the Senator and his hook-up being incinerated instantly in the explosion, so rescue was not something I contemplated.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 12:48 AM, Carlotta said:
I was so much focused on the WTC that I forgot about the Pentagon, at least senator Danfield died happy. I hope that will not revive his black widow.

 

But I am angry about Robbie getting back, I know it is noble and everything but he explained things before getting down and he leaves his children, still in danger, to fetch some stubborn and not the most sympatic women. I really thought he would have escaped now it doesn't seem that way. Only 4 people escaped the south tower from above the impact through the stairway A, Robbie, Darius, Will and Maddie that was 4, now what ?

 

I admire JP he knows he cannot do anything to help his family but he stays close and helps the way he can.

 

I am more worry now than ever, I don't know how I will cope until the next chapter is posted.

I think what Robbie did is totally in character for him. He got his sons and Maddy through the worst of the nightmare, so now all they had to do was descend the stairs and get out. He knows they can do that (Both Will and Darius are smart and capable). He would never have been able to live with himself if he hadn't gone up and to try to save Jeanine and Hank. He would always second-guess himself.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 02:07 AM, KevinD said:
It's funny, I never even thought about Senator Danfield being at the Pentagon. If the Senator dies Wade will likely really have his hands full with his mother...

Robbie… Hopefully he'll meet Jeannine and Hank coming down and still be able to make it out of the building and away from it in time. Robbie's words to Will about his dad were really something. Even if Robbie makes it and Brad doesn't fall apart, it would seem to be enough there for Will to hang onto to see his father in a new light, allowing them to work out their issues and be stronger than ever. We can only hope...

Good points on Brad and Will, and I suspect that as tragic as this whole thing is, no matter who lives or not, Brad and Will are going to view their battles in a whole different light now.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 02:36 AM, KodeOwl said:
Mark,

There were thankfully not as many goosebumps as last chapter.

Brad and Stef

  • Live- While I cannot say with 100% guarantee I can certain that Brad and Stef will live due to being on the 25th floor. The major crowding was around the 40th floors so they should be safe since the North tower collapses at 10:28.
  • Worry- Brad and Stef no realize the danger to Will and co.. Stef was right to make comfort Brad to keep him from panicking. His panic would lead to little mistakes that could cost him dearly. Granted it would be unintentional, but Stef has a sprain and would not be able to pull Brad (if he was injured also) by himself.
  • Claire- It goes to show how helpless other felt in the situation. While she wants to there is really not anything she can do, but keep her phone lines open. Brad's suggestion to forward the meet up location was probably the best. It gives her a way to help and keep her focused (i.e. panicking as less as she can).

South Tower

  • Air- It is sad that there was not air transport used in the evacuations. Those going to the top would be walking toward their death. Even I would have thought like Will. That is, if they did not use air transport to evacuate North tower, why would they do so for the South. Logically if the building is going to collapse then they would not want to risk the add weight to the top. They could use a helicopter but with the smoke they may not be able to see thus endangering their own lives as well (or others if they crashed).
  • Robbie- While I hope he does not die he is a character most would regret losing. His goodbye speech was heartfelt. I do not understand why he felt the need to go to Hank and Jeannine. I understand that he has a closer relationship to Jeannine than some, but is it not more important to save your kids first. Granted he may have thought that Will and Darius would be OK and that Hank and Jeannine would need a guide out. However in that situation my kids would come first as I am sure Jeannine believed by sending them down first. They are on the 78th floor and (unless time relapses) the South tower falls at 9:59 in 22 minutes (since the Pentagon was hit at 9:37 so Danfield had 17 minutes of sex). If Robbie stays in stairwell A and does not miss the other two by checking a floor (since stairs are small) he may make it if they meet him at little more then half way up (I hope).
  • Maddy-poor Maddy. I feel sorry for her suffering since she is probably to young to understand. Her body response probably kicked in because if she falls asleep it will lower her breathing rate. The wash cloth was a good idea to lessen the smoke. Will always keep his promises. I'm glad that even in a state such as this he is still true to himself.
  • Custody- If the three adults do die it does bring into question who Maddy goes to. My guess would be Cody, but he may still not be ready for such responsibility. However, he would probably either take care of her or ask Brad to do so since Maddy is a big part of Brad's family's lives.

JP

  • Talking to the injured is probably the best thing he can do for now (a little white lie didn't hurt him ;-P). It helps other (which is so like him) and it is the best place to find his family should they make it out.

Senator Danfield

  • While it is always sad to read a characters death I prefer the senator to Wade dying any day. At least he went out after a nice fling...I guess. This will be a major blow to Wade since his relationship with his father was just starting to pick up.

Thanks for more. I was hoping for both the evacuation and the meeting up of the family member in a safe location, but I am still just as happy to read more.

Waiting for the family reunion,

Kody

I'm glad you got the helplessness in Claire's situation. Isn't that how so many of us felt?

The air transport situation has been explained, but I think that it could have happened on the South Tower. The North tower was too peppered with antennae, and it was too smoky, but they could have attempted it on the South Tower. I found their excuses for not doing so pretty lame.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 03:55 AM, Arabesque said:
Still holding my breath as this nightmare continues to play out as you brilliantly weave us through this mess. Nice touch with JP's interactions at triage (though I wish he would move away from those towers <cringe>).
I think that is typical JP; his mother would have been proud of him. I think that West and Vesey was far enough to avoid being crushed by the towers.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Senator Danfield was not on my list of possible casualties, but he earned his place. Molesting his son and cheating on his wife............

 

None of the "good guys" have perished yet. I hope for the best.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 03:55 AM, PrivateTim said:
Another gripping chapter.

 

I won't assume anything because authors get to bend reality a little, but one of the links I posted in the forums from USA Today, "Delay meant Death" or words to that effect, Hank & Jeanine's fate would have been sealed by not leaving when Will, Robbie & Darius did. The only hope for Robbie is that he wasn't able to get back up through the increasing heat and smoke.

 

I have mixed feelings on Senator Danfield. He was not one of the more lovable characters early on, but he has largely redeemed himself (as much as that is possible for his horrible actions). It is sad to think Wade may not get the chance to continue the healing process. I am hopeful he can still find his way out.

 

Overall though, a tremendous chapter...... I do wonder what is rolling through JJ's mind now as things unfold further.

Thanks Tim. And here's a chance for me to thank you for those links. You'll be happy to know that I read most of them before I wrote this (SMILE).

 

I think that Wade and his father worked things through. I've gotten some kick-back on that, especially from my team, about how impossible/long it takes to heal from abuse like Wade experienced, but I don't think that factors in the sheer determination both of those men have to achieve a goal once they set their minds to it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 05:20 AM, davewri said:
Senator Danfield was not on my list of possible casualties, but he earned his place. Molesting his son and cheating on his wife............

 

None of the "good guys" have perished yet. I hope for the best.

I have a weak spot for people who say they're sorry and reform themselves, and because of that, I give the senator a little more love than you do. :-) And I don't blame him for cheating on his wife, considering who his wife is.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Sorry my internet has been down. I feel you have caught all the characters so well. I remember that day so clearly. Only your skill can catch all the feelings of that day. As the others said I can't believe that we are losing Jeanine, Hank, and the Senator but losing Robbie is going to be hard on the whole family. What will Brad do? The another thing that comes to me is the promises that both Jeanine and Robbie asked of Will. Knowing what kind of person Will is he will take these promises seriously. So much for a young man of only 15. This will change everything and everyone. We still have not heard from Wade. Both Wade and Matt losing their fathers on the same day how awful. I pray we don't lose anymore characters.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 06:17 AM, rjo said:
Sorry my internet has been down. I feel you have caught all the characters so well. I remember that day so clearly. Only your skill can catch all the feelings of that day. As the others said I can't believe that we are losing Jeanine, Hank, and the Senator but losing Robbie is going to be hard on the whole family. What will Brad do? The another thing that comes to me is the promises that both Jeanine and Robbie asked of Will. Knowing what kind of person Will is he will take these promises seriously. So much for a young man of only 15. This will change everything and everyone. We still have not heard from Wade. Both Wade and Matt losing their fathers on the same day how awful. I pray we don't lose anymore characters.
And Chapter 38 is up, so that should answer your questions.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Really? Robbie? Not enough to kill Jeff and Roger? Dude, that sucks...... You may want to check in with Lark on how to get your appearance changed. Gonna be tough to outrun the lynch mob.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/19/2013 06:20 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Really? Robbie? Not enough to kill Jeff and Roger? Dude, that sucks...... You may want to check in with Lark on how to get your appearance changed. Gonna be tough to outrun the lynch mob.
Well, I have my reasons. Go check out the forums. There's a thread about this one. :-(
  • Like 3
Link to comment

i am sure that any one that was at the towers when they were attacked must suffer from PTSD I know I would.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..