Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Howdy from Venizia!

I only have a couple of miniutes... I'll reply to all PM's as soon as i can. I'll be back online nov 23rd.

My laptop battery died, and internet access was hard to find at all in rural italy, or in the Greek islands, or in Turkey. (yep, I went to Turkey, and driving there was.. inbteresting.) I also drove in Croatia and took a wrong turn... Ended up in Bosnia. That was a story I'll tell when I get back, yowza. Lol.

I'm a hundred yards from the Camianelle in St. Marks square Venice as I type this, having a cappucino. I MAY be able to log in a few more times< but if not i"ll be online full time again when i RETURN TO THE us NOV 23RD.

tAKE CARE EVERYONE! I miss you all. :hug:

CJ

I only have a couple of miniutes... I'll reply to all PM's as soon as i can. I'll be back online nov 23rd.

My laptop battery died, and internet access was hard to find at all in rural italy, or in the Greek islands, or in Turkey. (yep, I went to Turkey, and driving there was.. inbteresting.) I also drove in Croatia and took a wrong turn... Ended up in Bosnia. That was a story I'll tell when I get back, yowza. Lol.

I'm a hundred yards from the Camianelle in St. Marks square Venice as I type this, having a cappucino. I MAY be able to log in a few more times< but if not i"ll be online full time again when i RETURN TO THE us NOV 23RD.

tAKE CARE EVERYONE! I miss you all. :hug:

CJ

And we miss our Queen as well!

*pouts*

• Site Administrator

I feel like saying "thanks for the update and for saying hello", but I know he's unlikely to see that until he gets back. So I'll just say that it's good to have heard from him and that things are going well -- even if not completely to plan. :P

Good to hear from CJ! It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say when he gets back. Somehow I don't think that Bosnia was on his "places to visit before I die" list. :P

(I'm saying the Bosnia comment since I know that Canada still has peace-keepers stationed in Bosnia-Herzegovina so it's probably not the safest place to be for the moment.)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
After weeks, I realised that I don't know what Howdy means? Someone can enlighten me?

Ieshwar :D

B) ............Howdy is pretty much a cowboys way of saying Hello

"Howdy" is an abbreviated version of "How do you do?". Definitely associated with cowboys (and perhaps Texas oilmen) and probably originated in Tennessee which is part of the Old West (the really Old West). Another greeting I often hear in northern Mississippi is a version of "How are you?" which comes out sounding like "Hi yew".

Speaking of "Howdy"...does anyone else remember Howdy Doody?

Edited by MikeL
"Howdy" is an abbreviated version of "How do you do?". Definitely associated with cowboys (and perhaps Texas oilmen) and probably originated in Tennessee which is part of the Old West (the really Old West). Another greeting I often hear in northern Mississippi is a version of "How are you?" which comes out sounding like "Hi yew".

Speaking of "Howdy"...does anyone else remember Howdy Doody?

B) ....."Howdy Partner" I do, but I was really young like 3-4 at the time.

Yep, "Howdy" is a pretty common way to say "hello" in the rural US west. It might be a bit more common amongst rednecks... And, well, I do sorta live a kind of redneck lifestyle. LoL. And yup, i really so say "howdy" in real life, too.

I remember Howdy Doody (and Buffalo Bill), but it may have been the late, great Minnie Pearl of Grand Ole Opry fame who started her performances with a Hoooow-DEE (accent on the second syllable, which was up in tone almost an octave), who popularized the greeting.

LoL. And yup, i really so say "howdy" in real life, too.

Once when I was in college I was translating this passage of Latin and my instructor was all about making the translation sound like modern English. Anyway I translated something as "Farewell" and he stopped me and said "Really Kevin! Who do you know that says 'farewell' when they leave?" I bristled up and said "ME!" That really is one of my standard ways of saying goodbye to people!

Anyway, point is ya never know what kinda wacky things we yanks will say to each other in greeting or parting :P

Farewell all!

-Kevin

Once when I was in college I was translating this passage of Latin and my instructor was all about making the translation sound like modern English. Anyway I translated something as "Farewell" and he stopped me and said "Really Kevin! Who do you know that says 'farewell' when they leave?" I bristled up and said "ME!" That really is one of my standard ways of saying goodbye to people!

Anyway, point is ya never know what kinda wacky things we yanks will say to each other in greeting or parting :P

That's true of other common expressions. For example, I never heard my dad say "thank you" to anyone. He wasn't being impolite. He invariably said "much obliged". That's an old fashioned sentiment with a deeper meaning than "thank you". I miss hearing it.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..