[J. Ross] In Due Time

dashes aren't like parantheses... they don't have to come in doubles.

True. Which is why I didn't complain about this

I mean, I hadn't even had a spaz attack after the whole hand job thing

:rolleyes:

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!

Welcome to Battle: Punctuation Mark!!!

After a Round #1 battle involving the ever popular dash, what will our intrepid challengers throw out next?

Will it be the dreaded slash/slant/solidus/virgule?

Or the lovely ellipsis

Or this. Or this. Or this. Or this.

*laughs* Apparently, I didn't get rid of my ellipsis addiction, I just traded it in. *shakes head* Next week, it'll be something else. o.0

*laughs* Apparently, I didn't get rid of my ellipsis addiction, I just traded it in. *shakes head* Next week, it'll be something else. o.0

I had a serious dash addiction at one time. I'm almost over it now, but it's still there.

You're an excellent writer.

TRiG.

• 2 months later...

Back to quoting, because it's been forever and I deserve to have those dates staring at me and making me feel guilty. *sigh* I set time limits and I FAIL. It's what I do, but I wouldn't walk away completely. Anyhow, the REST of In Due Time should be up over the next week (or two, depending on...me). But I honestly can't see any way it should take longer than that. Given that I'm actually done writing it. I'm just obsessing now. *shrug*

THANK YOU ALL. I don't know how to say that in a way that really gets the point across, but seriously. I LOVE EVERYONE RIGHT NOW. Oh, and apologies for the months it took me to get here. Seriously, I suck.

THANK YOU! I needed this chapter right now.

I just had the longest session staring at my computer for hours on end and working on my term paper! It's funny how your brain has this ability to turn the same physical chore, staring at a computer screen, and flip the switch from extreme pain to extreme gratification.

Anyway.. I love the story STILL... and I ain't going nowhere. You're top tier!

a couple things i noticed:

-I have the same high pitchiness Shane has when I try and raise my voice to talk louder. I usually focus and try and modulate it.. something im practiced at so that it sounds more sensual and emotive all the time.

-The Ryan-Jake relationship is so perfect. I love it. That whole interaction thing before bed was executed really well. I love the subtle "bro" Ryan said. I love the fact that Ryan needs Jake so viscerally.. and it's not sexual at all! There is no hint whatsoever of Ryan being attracted to Jake and I love that you've pulled it off so well. Another thing that's cool is the way they interact and the language they use... "I guess I'm the asshole then" = I'm sorry.

.. there's more but now I'm relaxed and desperately tired and need to be up in 6 hours.

biggrin.gif

Thank YOU, for getting Ryan and Jake. That's EXACTLY what I wanted to get across, and what I've been trying for since a so long ago, I can't really remember. Their relationship is a favorite of mine, and I stress about it, but I'm so relieved that some of y'all get it, AND like it. And, I'm glad you're still enjoying this. Hope you did well on your paper.

``In Due Time. Whatcha think``?

The last chapter was wonderful, worshippy.gif as always, still, can`t help but feel extremely sad that Jake and Ryan aren`t as close friends as before. sad.gif still, it`s good that Jake can`t seem to keep his hands off Shane, maybe it`s a sign that pretty soon, he`ll be able to come out of his closet, right? biggrin.gif well, that`s it from me, take care, and can`t wait for more fun filled adventures from the boys, and well, Chloe too, laugh.gif .

PS. the fact that Shane yells like a girl, that was hilarious. thanks for putting that there, it certainly gives Shane more.... character. laugh.gif

They're still close. smile.gif Or, I was trying to write it that way. They're relationship is just changing and they're...adjusting. Thanks so much for reading, and for the reply. It's much appreciated, and I'm happy I could entertain. More soon. smile.gif

cool.gif ..........Another great chapter! I loved the 'you could have called me' war that left both of them anxious and upset for a weekend. I'm glad Ryan finally is getting better being around Jake, but I think he is going to be facing some real problems coming up soon. Thanks for the chapter, I knew it would arrive in due time!

Thanks Benji. XD I hated writing that scene, and I remember coming close to cutting it about a million times, but YAY you liked it. I wasn't sure it worked. But I'm paranoid. And, Ryan is...Ryan. I wanted to say something about that, but I don't think I can without giving anything away. *sigh* THANKS AGAIN.

Loved it. I also loved the whole you coulda called thing going on as well as the end between Jake and Ry. I think if Ry isn't careful he really is going to end up locked away somewhere. Something needs to happen with that boy and his father. I'm starting to really hate Colin, and I'm wondering what's going to happen at the dinner now between Jake and his family and Colin and his family, and if Ryan is going to show up.

There's a twist here somewhere, I'm wondering how long before Jake's outted. Will, it's set to happen on "Thursday Night" so.....hopefully in the next chapter

Regards,

Jon

Thanks muchly, Jon!! I can't actually remember what I wrote about Colin in fifteen. Was it bad? Was it just the smoking with Ryan? *shrug* I'm horrible at this. Ryan WAS almost locked away somewhere, and you're right, I don't think it would take that much. I think it was deleted...can't remember, but I think I originally wrote in that the fight with Ryan's dad (the one that sent him to Jake's that night) was because Ryan's dad was going to send him away. So, I agree...even if I cut that out. *headdesk* Anyway, I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for penning the reply. smile.gif

That was so damned sweet... the description of those first few days when you can't get enough of him was really evocative. And the closing scene was touching, but Ry and Jake still stayed in character. Awesome job, J. worshippy.gif

THANK YOU. I've been going crazy trying to make sure this is all IC. I kind of hate the way I wrote this, because...well, if y'all can't tell, I'm totally not saying, but really...thanks. This was...reassuring. More soon!

I really like the story. Please keep it coming - and please finish it. Too many good stories go into hiatus for seemingly forever or are not finished, unfortunately. My question about Chapter 15 is what did you mean by "No big" at the end of the first paragraph?

Was I already taking forever when this was posted? I really, really suck, but it IS finished so you don't have to worry. I'm just a horrible procrastinator and I'm obsessive. Those things aren't pretty together.

"No big" is actually something I thought everyone would get, but maybe I should change it. I meant, 'no big...deal/problem/issue/etc." I hear it shortened to just 'no big' all the time. That kind of slipped out. Apologies and thanks for pointing it out. XD

tongue.gif I was about to give you crap for not commenting on my comments. Good thing I checked and discovered I didn't make any. I hate putting both feet in my mouth at the same time. My bad.

Great chapter, Jordan. worshippy.gifworshippy.gif

Jake did annoy me this chapter. laugh.gif He really does think too much, particularly around Shane. He's finally getting into the relationship and more accepting of himself but he's still looking over his shoulder and waiting for Shane to do all the work. Anyways, things are good so I shan't be too hard on him.

The closing scene with Ry and Jake was superb. Loved it. wub.gif Actually, Ryan was totally sweet this chapter. Ryan becoming sensitive....who wooda thunk! blink.gif

Conner

*pouts* I like it when you give me crap. smile.gif Lol, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And Jake is always annoying. I feel like he's making giant strides when no one gathers the lynching mob and no one's ripped out any hair. Ry was sweet? I mean, I meant for the scene to be sweet, but I didn't think I wrote him that way. But, I don't actually remember. *sigh* Writing is hard. Anyway, thanks again, for reading and dropping in.

Its great that Ry and Jake have settled down and have begun to re-connect their friendship.

Still hehe I wish Jake take up Ry invititation but then Jake has Shane.

So its best not temp things unless this is Ry way of getting Jake away from Shane.

I still am clueless to whats going on between Jake and Shane.

I guess chapters will tell.

Well they been friends for a long time 18 years. But will they be together for another 60 years.

I do hate life when Jobs, schools, etc changes lives.

I hate it too. I think this story was supposed to be about change and coping and a bunch of overdone stuff like that, but I suck at planning. And I don't actually think about this story beyond what I've written, but yeah, totally those two crazy kids are kind of bff's. They'll be fine, and I think one thing I wanted to get across with this (don't worry, I probably failed) was that they WOULD be fine even if they separated or changed. That they weren't just friends because it was easy to be. *sigh* I also suck at explaining. But, it's five am. I get slack for that, right? Lol, thanks for reading, and for sticking with this. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I see you're keeping up the standard with chapter 15. This story just goes on getting better. And I'm getting to really like Jake, now, which is nice.

I had a serious dash addiction at one time. I'm almost over it now, but it's still there.

You're an excellent writer.

TRiG.

A big part of what I hate about my issues is that I can see them, and I can't fix them. I doubt I'll get rid of the dash addiction until someone yells at me for it. I respond WELL to the scolding. I'm not ashamed. Lol. Anyway, thank you, for reading, and pointing out issues and alla that. Seriously, I really appreciate it.

Not quoting Cyn, because it hasn't been that long since I spoke to you. And you are totally biased. I'm not a good writer. You love me for the chocolates. Admit it, woman. wink.gif

And...I think that's it. Apologies if I missed anyone, or any question. I'm all over the place...like always. But, I did want to offer my sincerest THANK YOU to everyone still here. I realized that it's been a YEAR since I started this and there are people who have actually stuck with this that whole time and...I don't know what to say about it. I'll figure it out. Really, though. THANK YOU. Again.

The next chapter will be up as soon as I get it back. And the following chapters will come quick. I'd promise but...I feel like that's like asking my computer to explode. It's always something with me.

Hope you all enjoy!

• Like 1

I just read the last chapter and I just wanted to say again how amazing this story is and continues to be. It is not just that it has a great plot and characters but it is also one of the few really well written stories. It is rare that I find a story I can read without cringing at the dialogue. So thanks for another amazing chapter and I cant wait for the next one.

cool.gif............

Well, that chapter was definitely worth the wait!! Like Jake, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for Collin especially with his mom. The worst homophobes are always the deepest closet cases. The only upside to this is that Collin wouldn't dare taunt Jake anymore, I love how well baseball plays into the dialogue with Collin being totally clueless. It sure is good to see Ryan being 'Ry' again, it will take a little longer but I think Ry will even come around to Shane. Humm! All the angst seems to be gone!! So what's next? I smell outting in the future!! Great chapter!! Looking forward to more!

I actually enjoyed Jake's meanderings over his "condition" this chapter. :D Simply because he was moving forward with all his thoughts in terms of realizing more about himself and moving straight to acceptance instead of the usual circuitous route he usually takes. He's finally gotten to the fun part and is thoroughly enjoying it.

Not only that, but his response to Colin, when he suddenly realized that it had been Collin who had messed up Shane's life, was just unbelieveable. To have that kind of compassion for someone you "hate" and with good reason....well, it approaches saintly. I would not have been so generous.

I am so totally proud of Ryan! He rocks! :2thumbs: He and Jake are not only in a different place, but in a better place. :wub:

When Ryan came out with his "proposal", I damn near died from laughing. :lmao:

We can get a little house with a fence and make cookies and you can decorate. I

Yahay!

Worth the wait. Well worth the wait. And the Colin narrative is ... interesting. How will that develop?

I love the way Ryan bursts into rooms without warning. I'm still waiting for him to walk in on Jake and Shane snogging. That would be interesting.

A story which doesn't mind being reread. Good stuff.

TRiG.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i love that giddy feeling i get when i see an update for a story that i love this much.

i feel like this story is marking a turning point for jake. things are 'clicking' for him now... he was never dumb, but he was ignoring things. he's becoming more reflective and analytical, and my feeling is that his self-acceptance is the release of this dam. loving it :)

i did amazing on the term paper... but still managed to get wiped out of the phd. its cool.... got into a better program in atlanta, the "gay capitol of the south"... and am moving to the gay district of the gay capitol next week-ish.

First post ever on GA.

I love this story. It's a bit like holiday every time you send an update that a new chapter is ready. I actually clear the schedule and get myself ready to read a new chapter, etc. It's that good. When ch 16 became available, it's been so long that I was afraid I'd forgotten details, I started back with ch 14 to get back into the pacing.

I'm trying to picture what Ryan looks like. I hope he comes around a bit more and isn't so freaked out by Jake being gay. I like the pacing of how Jake and Shane's relationship have progressed. But I'm now ready for a bit more...as they are too?

Cemetery scene was surreal. I've been in that situation with a friend who's mum died of cancer a month after he turned 16. For a couple of years, we would go to the cemetery and he wouldn't say anything, not even cry. Then one year, he was ready to talk...and cry.

Did not expect Colin to be "the baseball player"! However, earlier in the story, I was getting a bit of a gay vibe from his friendship with Ryan. Like, he was about to repeat the past. The bedroom scene with Coin and Shane was masterful. Pacing was spot on. Could feel the tension. Interjecting Ryan at the right moment was so key to not letting all the dialog and details out of the bag. I could also feel for Colin, he knew that his world was about to come crashing down.

So anxious to see: Shane and Jake do at the ice cream date--will they get outed? How Shane deals with Jake knowing about Colin. How will Ryan react to Colin? Even though he knows nothing, will Colin out Jake just to strike first? ...and a hot scene with Shane and Jake.

Again, this is by far my favorite story out of the hundreds on GA. Thank you. Your quality of writing is much appreciated.

Love is like seeing the update for your favourite story on eFiction. :):):)

This is the most beautiful chapter so far, although you can tell things are sort of winding up which I HATE! But seriously the cemetary, I barely breathed whilst reading. I loved everything. From watching Ryan and Shane maneouver around Jake in a THICK and TENSE situation, and seeing Ryan notice things that Jake barely registers, (which as I have stated before showcases your ability to make Jakes thought processes such a strong and over-powering element that you literally feel pulled under.)

I have to admit I must be slower than Jake though, I didnt even click when the confrontation happened between Col and Jake.

*SIGH* Ok thinking over load, so I'll just say this. I can't wait...

:D

And anyway, being a momma

• Like 1

Next part's sent off for editing. So, I'm here. :)

morgaine, Thank you. Dialogue is where I'm comfortable, which is probably why this story is so heavy with it. I'm glad it works, and it's not completely in my head. ;) Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed that chapter.

Benji, The angst is NEVER gone. Lol, it's what I hate about this one. *sigh* But yeah, I liked the scene with Colin. Writing it, I actually felt like I got across what I wanted to say, exactly how I wanted to say it. I wasn't sure if it was too melodramatic, but...*shrug* Thanks so much! I was worried about that scene. And, YES, I feel bad for Colin too. I remember getting a little obsessive a long while back, and I almost wrote out a standalone piece for him. Not for posting, but...I was still figuring out his story and I figured it would help. Anyway. I think the main reason Jake feels bad for Colin, is because he remembers being there. He knows what he's feeling. Not so much with his mom as with everything else. Thanks for the read, and the reply. :)

Conner, Condition? Rotflmao. I think he was so generous to Colin because he sees that he could have easily ended up exactly where that kid is. And he reminds Jake too much of himself for Jake to hate him. *shrug* I wonder if that means Jake's done with all the self hate. *sigh* I have no idea. I don't remember any of this anymore. *is ded* And *grins* Ha, I'm glad that worked, (and glad for the quote. I was all...what proposal?). I remember worrying I was pushing them too fast. I think I went this way because...they've been dragging their asses the majority of the story and progress needed to be made somewhere. Thanks for reading. And commenting! Cheers.

TRiG, *skips* Thank you! I'm glad you think it's worth it. And uhm...it won't. Be developed, that is. That scene, like the entire story, is more about Jake than anything else, and what he learns or how he...'grows'. Or something like that. Lol. Thanks so much for reading, and for the kind words! Appreciate it.

Jaydee, I laughed when I read your comment, because I am so, SO see through, and predictable. I'm alright with it as long as y'all are. But, yeah, you're totally right. About most all of that. I'm thrilled you're still here and enjoying. More soon! Thanks again. :) :) And Congrats. Have you ever been? I visit Atlanta every once in a blue moon, but...I always love it there. *misses the south* Cheers. And...good luck. Moving (even if you like where you're going) sucks, imo.

Jons317, Yay, first post. Congrats. And for my story. WIN! :) Also, this being compared to holidays? Made of awesome. So, I can't answer any of your questions, because most of them are answered in seventeen. ^_^ And YES. Two surprised. I really didn't think I was being discreet with Colin, I always feel like I'm obvious. *shrug* And I was sooo worried about that first scene with Ry's mom. I'd have sworn most would be bored by it. So...thank you. And thank you so much for reading, and for taking the time to pen a reply. I'm so glad you're enjoying this.

MelancholyBlue, Oh, awesome! :) I'd worried that the scene at the beginning at the cemetery was TOO understated. I worry a lot about avoiding melodrama (because that's what annoys ME most when reading) because it's so easy to fall into the melodramatic, especially, I think with teenagers. And...I wanted that scene to work without having Ry fall on the ground and beat the ground with his fists and feet or something. *shrug* I'm thrilled it worked! And you're not slow...or, if you are, I'm GRATEFUL, or something. I'm glad I could surprise. I would have sworn everyone would know it was Colin the second it was brought up (or during dinner when Colin was talking about baseball being fun). So YAY. I got to surprise someone. :)

So, it's coming soon. Thank you all for reading and stuff! Take care! :) :) :)

• Like 2

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would please much be appreciate-TING you please mucho next chapter now please now thank you.

now

thank you

:)

You aren't transparent... but a wave starts somewhere in the i-don't-know-where of the ocean before it breaks on the shore.

I cannot believe that Ryan did that! MAN. I kinda saw that coming, but i didn't at the same time. Jake is totally not ready for the shit to hit the fan. I'm really not sure what to expect here. I thought that the next drama would have something to do with this friend of Shane's coming around. How is Jake going to deal with this? Is he going to admit to the obvious, that he's gay? Is he going to deny it and obey any strange and stupid demands of him that his parents make, like "stay away from that boy!" or summin' like that? Are the parents going to be cool about it? Is Jake's mom going to be liberal and hide it from the conservative dad? eek... too much to think about. (please refer to my above request.)

I drove up to Atlanta last week so that I could sort out my apartment and get a feel for the area. Feels kinda not all that safe. But whatever, nothings safe and everything's insured. I'm in a pretty cool area. Its the gay area, supposedly. Lets hope that this works out to be a good thing! I'm moving up there in a week... ish.

• Like 1

In Due Time. Whatcha think?

Ooooooh, sad.gif poor Jake, but, well, his parents were going to find out eventually... so better sooner than later, right?

Hope, they take it well, after the initial shock weares off. And, anyway, good for Jake, he finally got some.tongue.gifbiggrin.gif And, finally, Ryan admits his feelings for Chloe, it`s about time, what were they waiting for? The fine age of 70? Good for them too. thumbsup.gif

Anyway, love the whole story, I`m so glad you had the time to write again, yaaaaaay, I just love Jake and Shane, and Ryan, and Chloe, and even Caydence is interesting, if a bit `` special `` :D

I can`t wait to read more, so ...take care, and hope your summer is great and productive, ;) in every sense. thumbsupsmileyanim.gifworshippy.gif

• Like 1

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EPIC BRAIN OVERLOAD!

Although before I start, may I point out similarities between this awkward moment at the end of Chapter 17. *I don't want to spoil anything* To Graham's similar moment in his story "The Price of Friendship." I only notice this now like as I'm typing.

Anyway loved it, just as much and you are quite the master of subtle teen humour that makes me giggle endlessly, Flipper reference? Priceless. In summation

Marco + New IDT Update + Ultimate Cliffhanger = Irrate and Partially Satisfied yet Exceedingly Giddy Marco.

Much Love J :)

-Marco

• Like 1

Amazing story. I have enjoyed every moment. Well, not every moment, because Jake drives me f**king nuts. STOP THINKING MAN AND ACT.

I'm glad to see he's figured it out and his comfort zone is expanding. As always, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Thank you for sharing your writing.

Bryan

Authors can't resist using the cliffhanger. It's like a cookis jar to them, full to the brim with their favourite cookie. It starts off with, "I'll just take one." But it's the beginning of the end. Yes, there's guilt and remorse from the author, especially for that first one. Some authors feel so bad, they post the next chapter sooner than they had planned. Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It's not long before the craving for sweetness returns. Another cliffhaner appears, this one more insidious than the first. And on it goes, the sweetness becoming a drug, the author no longer in control.

It's sad really. Jordan was such a cool dude.

:lmao:

Another cliffhaner appears, this one more insidious than the first. And on it goes, the sweetness becoming a drug, the author no longer in control.

It's sad really. Jordan was such a cool dude.

lmaosmiley.gif

Rehab, someone take him to rehab, quick. Before it's tooo late... He can get the next chapter finished and posted there.

LT

It's not just the use of cliffhangers. It's also how every major character seems to have to find out in the Worst Possible Way. I mean, Ryan probably would have been a lot cooler about the whole thing if he hadn't woken up to Jake kissing him in bed (however mistakenly). And something tells me Jake's mom will be cool about it too, but really, what mother wants to overhear crude teenage sex discussions - of any persuasion - about her own kid?

Poor Jake. It's tough being a character whose author has it in for you, isn't it?