Audio Books Poll  

25 members have voted

1. 1. I think audio books are...

• AMAZING! Can't live without them!
    • Pretty cool... but I could live without
    • Hate them... if I could burn them I would!
    • I never heard of audio books you insensitve clod!

Anyone like audiobooks? I started finding myself loving them since my commutes somestimes take an hour or so via bus or train. I usually download them from Podiobooks.com because they're free but if I find a title that I really want, I'll goto Audible.com and listen to them there. I really perfer the ones from Podiobooks.com because they're usually made by really amazing artists who are trying to get their names out there (and there are some really AMAZING stories as well).

Here's a selection of what I have downloaded lately:

1. 7th Son Books 1-3 (J.C. Hutchins)

2. Contagious (Scott Sigler)

3. Infected (Scott Sigler)

4. The Immortals (Tracey Hickman)

And quite a few others... so have you listened to any lately? Or maybe know of a service like the ones I listed?

Eric :D

I like them for long road trips in the car. Can be a way to kill boredom on exercise bike.

Lots of new smart phones are capable of playing them as MP3s.

My favorite so far is the Lost Fleet by Jack Cambell

• Site Administrator

I don't use e-readers or anything like that either. Honestly I read so much faster than an audiobook would play that it would only frustrate me. And on long car rides I use audio cd's and books for my kids so I listen to my ipod typically.

I think it is cheatin'

Try reading when your perception is so off that you're legally blind, like my husband, or don't have the hand dexterity to turn pages--he uses audio books for reading for that reason--and his actual recall is excellent!

• 1 month later...

Recently I downloaded a book that seemed like it would be great but the speaker was too animated and slow. I could have read ten pages before he spoke the first couple...

The idea of audio books is not new and one that I have known about for a long time. A hundred years ago, when I was young, I used to help my father and his best friend deliver special radios for blind people.

My dad's best friend, Bob, owned a radio station for the blind. Each morning they would read the newspaper and announce scheduled readings of various papers, magazines, and books.

My daily schedule no longer involves long bus rides but if it did, I might be more apt to use audio books or e-readers. Long, LONG before Walkmans and Ipods, when I used buses to get around, I had at least three books in my backpack at all times. One book for the ride to, one book for the ride from, and one book for breaks while at work. (Not to mention the one on the nightstand for before bed, or the pile of semi-abandoned books on the coffee table.) I could have used a Kindle or a Nook!

Edited by Tipdin

I'm considering recording my own stories onto audio. I think it would be great to hear the authors read their own stories, adding the kind of emphases that they hear in their mind as they write, but doesn't necessarily come across well on paper

Riley

I'm considering recording my own stories onto audio. I think it would be great to hear the authors read their own stories, adding the kind of emphases that they hear in their mind as they write, but doesn't necessarily come across well on paper

Riley

This is relevant to my interests and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :lmao:

Riley

See that would be Great!!!

I like audio books. I tend to get migraine from reading to long and I just cant put down a good book I've sat for 24 or more hours reading before. so I often will get "Unabridged" Audio books, I have all the Harry Potter Series and With say Jim Dale is an awesome voice talent. I also have the Twilight series, Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr), Lord of the rings. and have borrowed others from the library.

I would not recommend an audiobook with a poor reader as if they drone on the book is not enjoyable. But if they are an animated reader it can be quite enjoyable.

I also often will use good audiobooks that i have enjoyed and have already fully listened to to relax and go to sleep to.

• Like 1

See that would be Great!!!

I like audio books. I tend to get migraine from reading to long and I just cant put down a good book I've sat for 24 or more hours reading before. so I often will get "Unabridged" Audio books, I have all the Harry Potter Series and With say Jim Dale is an awesome voice talent. I also have the Twilight series, Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr), Lord of the rings. and have borrowed others from the library.

I would not recommend an audiobook with a poor reader as if they drone on the book is not enjoyable. But if they are an animated reader it can be quite enjoyable.

I also often will use good audiobooks that i have enjoyed and have already fully listened to to relax and go to sleep to.

You'll do a test listen for me if i record something?

Riley

I don't hate them, but I very rarely use any of them. I want the "voice inside my head" to read it for me, not someone else whose inflection or metre I don't like. The audiobooks I do have are Star Trek ones read by Rene Aberjonois, who I actually do care for his unique style.

Riley

I'd certainly listen to yours, not sure I'd have the courage to try it myself. Go for it. What's the worst that can happen :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really love if some of you could send me your stories on audio. i thrive on audio books and audio drama, books that have been adapted for radio and I download from various sites. hey there Riley, if you looking at reading out one of your stories, let me know how i can get hold of it. heart

I've never used audiobooks before. It's not the same as sitting down and reading a book youself, where your mind gets to make up the voices and imagine the dialogue that happens books. Plus there's something special about flipping through a book, something e-books have yet to satisfy.

It's not that audiobooks are bad, because they aren't. They become a good option when reading a book isn't possible. A con/pro could be the voices behind the stories. If get a great voice actor then you can get a good experience out of it. If not...it could ruin the book for you.

• 4 months later...

I think audiobooks are good for those constantly on the run. They could then just plug in earphones and just do whatever.

However they are only really suitable for fiction books because you cannot make notes along the side of the page or in an e-book reader.