Favorite Martial Arts Movies!

• Site Administrator

I can tell you my favorite martial arts spoof movie :P Chrys and I used to watch this show Surf Ninjas all the time growing up. It was a hoot every time too! I need to try and find that on dvd.

If you haven't seen the movie Ninja Assassin then YOU SHOULD. Its incredible.

I also liked The Matrix, Never Back Down (not so sure if it counts as martial arts) and Kung Fu Hustle (this one is really good, its a comedy mixed with some sot-so-serious moments)

Can't remember anymore right now..

The Matrix?

It's a movie starring Keanu Reeves and Lawrence Fishburne. Basically, it was a post apocalyptic movie in which robots have taken over the world and use humans as fuel whilst keeping most of them in a computer-generated world. There are some awesome, and indeed quite memorable, martial arts scenes in the film. It's an awesome movie. It's actually a trilogy. The second and third movies are called The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolution respectively.

What are you favorite Martial Arts films?

Mine are the following:

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  2. Blood Sport
  3. Hero
  4. The Legend of Drunken Master
  5. The Matrix

Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were both among my favorite as was Curse of the Golden Flower - but my favorite ones are those I would watch on Saturdays - something like Kung Fu theatre - those "b" movies where the dubbing was horrible and they always said - "so you think your Kung Fu is pretty good." and some white haired Master would kick the crap out of anyone but the hero. They were worth having it rain on a saturday :)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

If you haven't seen the movie Ninja Assassin then YOU SHOULD. Its incredible.

I also liked The Matrix, Never Back Down (not so sure if it counts as martial arts) and Kung Fu Hustle (this one is really good, its a comedy mixed with some sot-so-serious moments)

Can't remember anymore right now..

I've seen all but the Kung Fu Hustle. Not bad choices at all! Ninja Assassin was good for the action scenes, quite bloody, but a bit slow plot-wise.

I would put a vote in for Enter the Dragon serious, and for the farcial type, Kung Fu Hustle because I ROFLMAO every time I watch it.

The Matrix though...I don't consider it a martial arts film because it's stylized, and often computer generated and enhanced, not saying that it wasn't a brilliant film but I think that puts aside a lot of really good old Asian martial arts films out there choreographed and fought by some of the best known and skilled film stars and producers..Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Ching Siu-Tung, many more... I make the distinction because it's a lot of great martial artists out there who've never made a film.

A fun website to view and get up to date newer martial arts films coming out as well as remember some of the older: Best Martial Arts Films