Brave kid

The guy in suit apparently disagrees.

:angry:........Hey does seem rather bored by it all, and his facial expressions are not kind. But the delivered speech by this very young man was very impressive, he is going to go far! He is presidential material. This vid does not show the loud applause he received after his speech, others do! Kudos to him!

I could only barely hear what he had to say.

All I could tell was that he was a cute, well-spoken kid that presented himself very well... :great:

although I'm not at all sure what he said or was talking about. :(

• Like 1

Click here

This 14 year old defends his suspended teacher for asking another student to remove a confederate belt buckle. This is just an amazing story in my eyes.

Can we pool this topic with the one of Benji? it's just a few links away - called "Brave Kid".

Click here

This 14 year old defends his suspended teacher for asking another student to remove a confederate belt buckle. This is just an amazing story in my eyes.

Actually the kid, Graeme Taylor, doesn't go to that school and this isn't one of his teachers. Graeme is from Ann Arbor and this school is in Howell, about 30 miles north of Ann Arbor.

The teacher also was NOT suspended for asking another student to remove a Confederate belt buckle, he was suspended because after he (the teacher) got in a heated argument with a student, he kicked him out of class with a referral when the student said he "didn't accept gays" because of his Catholic faith.

Edge Boston has the best article on it. Michigan Teacher Reprimanded in Free Speech Flap

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I agree... This kid is brave and inspiring.

I merged the two topics that were discussing it.

What I find interesting is that there are two diametrically opposed 'sets' of reports on this incident. One shows it as a teacher kicking a student out for disagreeing with the teacher -- something that deserves punishment, yes. The other one is a teacher enforcing school policies forbidding certain articles of clothing, and then being unfairly punished for the situation that led to 'dismissing the student' from class.

The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in the middle, muddied beyond all hope of recovery.

The article

Edge Boston has the best article on it. Michigan Teacher Reprimanded in Free Speech Flap

What I find interesting is that there are two diametrically opposed 'sets' of reports on this incident. One shows it as a teacher kicking a student out for disagreeing with the teacher -- something that deserves punishment, yes. The other one is a teacher enforcing school policies forbidding certain articles of clothing, and then being unfairly punished for the situation that led to 'dismissing the student' from class.

The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in the middle, muddied beyond all hope of recovery.

The truth is enclosed inside of the linking article. School Reprimand Letter Teacher rsp to the letter MEA response to the situation

The teacher's response says a lot about what happen. The be muddied effect is the position that the superintendent and principal have taken, the directive and penalties levied. And then what the public has been informed of what happen.

He was cited for baiting controversial issues, promotion of personal social issues, failing to follow the school curriculum, the students first amendments, and his attitude. If he had not wore the Tyler Army T-Shirt and not shown the video ... and stuck to teaching economics ... then the superintendent would not be given the reason to nail him to the cross.

Its more than what happen at the 6th hour class ... but what happen during the other fiver hours ... According to one of the comments of the news article. The teacher is well respected and loved by many students during his tenure.

I hope the brave kid inspired the many to drive a message to the superintendent and the board the errors of their ways.

But the board will be stead fast about the professionalism of a teacher and against what they view is unbecoming and becoming based on the evidence of the entire day.

Perhaps the truth is what is learned through the entire matter ,,, time will tell where the road to recovery will show itself ... perhaps it already has by a Brave Kid.

The original YouTube link is broken, here's a replacement:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Wow, just wow. I am so impressed with this young guy. Having the guts to out yourself at such a young age must take incredible courage. There's just no way I could have done that at 14.

Thanks for the link.

And yea, I wouldn't have be able to do that at 14 either. Hell, I wouldn't be able to do that now.

Man, 14 seemed like so long ago. That was the middle school-to-high school transition, and the last thing on my mind was outting myself.

This kid is amazing. I'm very impressed that he had the courage to do that. I believe Ellen will have him on her show tomorrow. I plan on watching it.

Yupp, young Mr. Taylor is already on Ellen's website; here's the link:

http://ellen.warnerb...91-0b3e53aab37a

Ellen's website is a bit slow to load, so here's the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sit1CAuuvHY

Edited by TrevorTime

Yupp, young Mr. Taylor is already on Ellen's website; here's the link:

http://ellen.warnerb...91-0b3e53aab37a

Ellen's website is a bit slow to load, so here's the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sit1CAuuvHY

Its nice he got rewarded a scholarship ... the question is will he be going to Michigan University ... a gay friendly university (They showed his father face and he was amazed at seeing his son receive a scholarship)

... at least he also got to meet justin timberlake ... perhaps a future hook up with Lance Bass

It looks like he'll meet a few celebrities if other talk show host pick up on this interviewing craze

Found a nice article openly-gay-teen-graeme-taylor-speaks-out-for-equality

On the youtube comment "This kids dad is my teacher. The man is an amazing person. I can see he son is also."

That's very inspirational and it shows how supportive the kids parents are.

jay_mcdowell_graeme_taylor.jpg