Taking things from hotels...

Merlin

Do you do this? A little or a lot? Just the little Crabtree and Evelyn shampoo bottles or do you go all out and grab toilet paper and tissues and stuff? Or do you go even MORE overboard and start grabbing towels and pillows (mattresses!?!)

The way I look at it, the disposable complimentary items such as shampoo, soaps, instant coffee or hand lotion once opened they can’t be reused so they are fine to take but re-usable items such as towels, robes, blankets, sheets, pillows, coffee-mugs, iron & ironing board, hairdryer or mattresses, now that is stealing! :pissed: That is why the cost keeps going up and I hope whomever is taking these items see a charge applied to the credit card that they placed for their security deposit.

Don't they charge your card if you steal pillows and towels and stuff like that? Either way I don't take stuff from hotels. I usually end up bringing my own pillows/shampoo/soap/etc or buying it because the stuff they have is so bad. But then again I usually stay in, like, Super 8's and Quality Inn's. It might be different if I stayed in a Hilton suite or something.

Posted Image .......... You know those little bottles of shampoo? Well, I used one and didn't like it, wishing I had brought my own, I kept the rinsed out small bottle and took back home with me where I filled it with my shampoo that now travels with me.

Don't they charge your card if you steal pillows and towels and stuff like that? Either way I don't take stuff from hotels. I usually end up bringing my own pillows/shampoo/soap/etc or buying it because the stuff they have is so bad. But then again I usually stay in, like, Super 8's and Quality Inn's. It might be different if I stayed in a Hilton suite or something.

Haha I'm right there with ya. Us poor to middle class folks version of a nice hotel: Hilton Suite.

When I was driving across country by myself a few months ago, I had to sleep in hotels. I was so grossed out by the super 8s and comfort inns I decided to stay in the hilton suites and whatever their other chain branch is. Very nice compared to the cheapies. I too don't like using any of their stuff (cosmetic/hygenic wise), only the bar of soap at the sink to wash my hands.

When I went to Japan, a few of the people I went with stole the robes at one of the hotel we stayed at. They were geneiune yukatas provided by the hotel and we had a discount rate and it was like a 4 or 5 star hotel with a complementary hot breakfeast buffet with western food too. It was very very nice. The yukata robes were also very very nice. Hence some folks stole them. Some of them were charged for the thief and others weren't. (I bought 2 sets of Yukata wear from a little mom and pop store a few days later).

Years before in my freshmen year of college when I did a little bit of traveling I did take the bottles and empty them out for my own soap and shampoo.... but they sell those for 99 cents or a dollar at stores now so even I don't steal the bottles anymore and the ones at the store are a bit larger too but not too large. I did take about 12 on one of my trips for a project I needed them for and wasn't willing to fork over 12 bucks to buy some at the store since I was staying in hotels anyway. I was a poor kid then.

I don't know why anyone takes the towels.. I think they're uncomfortable and rough to the skin.. lol. The Soap and Shampoos are cheap and they make my skin feel dry and my hair feel stripped of all oils and softness.. so I don't like those either. I actually bring my own towels and shampoos/conditioners and especially soap.. I like my skin to feel smooth and I like to combine my own scents.. not the hotel's.. lol. Very picky. ;)

Do you do this? A little or a lot? Just the little Crabtree and Evelyn shampoo bottles or do you go all out and grab toilet paper and tissues and stuff? Or do you go even MORE overboard and start grabbing towels and pillows (mattresses!?!)

I take shampoos and their little soap things.

I've also taken towels before but only for souvenir purposes because some had the hotel logos on them and the city name.

The one place I did take a lot of stuff from was at Moody Gardens in Galveston. It was a business trip so i didn't have the chance to buy many things so whatever was in my room that was disposable and had some memorable logo/name/sign on it like sugar packets, writing pad, pen, etc. I took them all.

The disposable or consumable amenities (shampoo, soap, coffee, etc.) are expected to be consumed. I have no qualms about taking them (though I never take the coffee because I have better taste than hotel's budget allows them). Anything that is permanent or that can be cleaned and reused is off limits. Taking them would be considered theft.

Man, you wouldn't believe how many microwaves and coffee makers I have!!

Acutally, I discovered a long time ago those little bottles of shampoo etc are pretty worthless. I do take the little sunscreens when I stay in hotels that have them as they can be useful and given how I tip the housekeepers they always seem to leave me extras.

I don't know why anyone takes the towels.. I think they're uncomfortable and rough to the skin.. lol.

Oh Krista, not all. If ever I was tempted to take the towels and the bathrobes, it would be from the Halekulani Hotel in Hawaii. They have the greatest towels I've ever used.

I take the little bottles of shampoo, and the hand soap. They're consumables, and figured in to the cost of the room. Everything else is off-limits. Besides, I travel light, and don't want to pack linens or a mattress.

Oh Krista, not all. If ever I was tempted to take the towels and the bathrobes, it would be from the Halekulani Hotel in Hawaii. They have the greatest towels I've ever used.

Two thumbs up for Halakulani towels!!

I can count the number of times I've stayed at a hotel on my fingers ie, I seldom lodge in a hotel. The few times I did, I didn't take anything, not even the little shampoo bottles and soap. Airplanes on the other hand....is a totally different matter.

You and Camy can go to Halekulani Hotel for your honeymoon and the Westin robes will feel like sandpaper Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm totally inviting you guys to my wedding. You just have to give me a trip to this place as a present. :P

The only time that I have actually taken anything from a hotel was back when i went to Vegas with my cousin and her man of the moment to mind the kids. All i took were a few tiny bottles of Smirnoff. I admit to being underage (only by about three years) but I DID not drink them. To be honest I took them home for my then step-dad as Smirnoff was his favorite Vodka.

My cousin however, that crazy chick took EVERYTHING that wasn't nailed down, the towels, the robes, the slippers. She even ganked the freaking bible that was int he night stand. Granted I don't know why only that room had a bible in it but eh, who am I to ask why lol.