Summer at Last

You wouldn't know it from the temperatures we've had the last two months, but summer has only now arrived in the northern hemisphere. It's the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. It's always amazed me that all the hot weather in July and August occurs as the days are growing shorter. Doesn't seem logical somehow. Keeping cool in Music City...

Hope you have a great summer.

Posted Image

Edited by MikeL

Posted Image .........Bah! 107 here in Vegas, I really don't mind the heat, but the power bill!!! Mike, it was explained to me years ago that the seasons have to play catch up, so even when summer solstice occurs it takes awhile for summer to really kick in.

BTW, I was married 29 years ago on Summer Solstice 6/21

BTW, I was married 29 years ago on Summer Solstice 6/21

Awesome Benji, Congrats!!Posted Image

Yeah, hot as hell here today too. It was 102 when I got in my car afterwork but then me and a very cute doctor both got caught by a red light and he grinned and took his shirt off **drool** Yep, me liking the heat :P

Haha, you are tougher then me then. Posted Image

Yeah, she's way tougher than me and I like the heat.

I think we hit 95 in Boston, probably more with humidity today.

Almost 100 today and most of it was spent in an 8 hour car ride from NY to Ohio on three hours of sleep. I hate summer <_< So hot. So sticky. Come back winter! I love youuuuuuuuuuu!! ;_;

How do they keep the critters from stealing those cookies? lol The heat explains some of the political ideas coming out of Texas though. Guess the politicians forget their hats from time to time and end up brain-fried.

when are you Americans going to join the rest of the world and use celcius?

Fahrenheit gives you a more accurate description of the temperature. And we are on our way to the third straight 100+ day today. I will be hibernating in my air conditioned room for the remainder of it.

• Like 1

when are you Americans going to join the rest of the world and use celcius?

Anders Celsius wasn't an American. When I was in elementary school - 60 years ago - we used all the metric system measurements in our science classes in the certain knowledge that the US would soon convert from the British standard to metric. It has never happened. Metric is used almost exclusively in science and medicine - all my pills are in milligrams - but in the everyday world we hold onto the old standard. It's one of the few British things we really cling to. Despite all our technological advances, we haven't decided - our politicians haven't decided for us - to make the switch. I understand the British have switched as part of their EU membership. The US isn't the only western nation which uses Fahrenheit; there's Cayman Islands and Belize. Posted Image

It's really no big deal; it's easy to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius: [°C] = ([°F] − 32) × 59

Now that I think of it, Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit wasn't American either. Posted Image

That's why you no longer live in Boston. Posted Image

Yes, we're only in the mid 90's, :o

Lacey come back home, Boston misses you.