John J. Pershing thank you podga, OK.  He is considered a hero by Americans and Europeans alike.

??? he was the worst of the generals in the field, the pure death rate of US troops was the highest, he ordered a general attack on the morning of the 11 nov 1918 when he knew the treaty had been signed

He's certainly not regarded as a hero in Britain - because no-one remembers the name, except maybe as an obsolete missile system :lmao: I guess he was someone of his time, not much there for anyone today to relate to :/

John J. Pershing thank you podga, OK.  He is considered a hero by Americans and Europeans alike.

??? he was the worst of the generals in the field, the pure death rate of US troops was the highest, he ordered a general attack on the morning of the 11 nov 1918 when he knew the treaty had been signed

He's certainly not regarded as a hero in Britain - because no-one remembers the name, except maybe as an obsolete missile system :lmao: I guess he was someone of his time, not much there for anyone today to relate to :/

You Brits are such sore winners.   :P   If it weren't for General of the Armies John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, you would still be speaking German.  But then, there would have been no need for World War II, which, I suppose, would be a good thing.  (Pershing would have won the war sooner had it not been for the interference of British and French politicians.  The Americans' higher death rate was due to the fact that they attacked the enemy rather than hunkering down in trenches for three years.)

Do you hate Eisenhower for the same reason?

All animosity aside, it's Red_A's turn to pose a challenge.

Edited by MikeL

I do not know , what Black Jack was like in early years, certainly he did wonders in creating an army from virtually nothing, and for that he should be admired and praised, and probably did win the Great War.

My distaste is that the war was won by a blockage. Germany surrended because of lack of food and material. The horrendous waste of manpower did not win the war.  What was required was the presence of USA solders.  The defensive deathrate to attack death rate was one to four at best.

Although good figure are dificult to come by and the main irony is that the generals at the time did not know the figures.

About 120 thousand people went over the top on 1st July 1916.  60 thusands did not answer roll call at the end of the day. 20 thousands died the rest were classed as wounded. The germans figures are between 10 to 20 thousands casulties.

The Swansea Battalion at Memetz Wood, 680 people, greater than 300 dead or wounded.

" Everybody was wounded, ' the battalion command ' came and a figure of 300 dead or seriously wounded was arrived at" Translation.

The worst that case that I know about is the Australia light cavarly The first troop that bounced the cushions, none  came back. The turks did not loose a man.  Gallipoli.

My distaste is for all Great World generals

Do you hate Eisenhower for the same reason

Eisenhower was everything that Black Jack was not.  My respect for Eisenhower vastly exceeds my distaste for Black Jack in the field. He did certainly contribute greatly to winning the war, and the US army was the spear head that was required.  but there again it was not the main reason for the war being won.  It was the russian army and intelligence mainly in the form of Ultra.

Good clue.

Sir Joseph Whitworth?

Yes it is Sir Joseph Whitworth, creator of the Whitworth Thread.

Obviously the clue was too good    :,(      . I had a whole load of clues,

In the picture in the bottom right corner there is a small lathe or thread cutting machine,

If you follow Manchester Pride this is where you end.

Winner of more Exhibiton prizes than anybody else.

and last of all He is a screwy engineer like me.  :huh:

Sir Joseph Whitworth did not invent the screw thread, he perfected the machinery and the measurement methods so that a standard thread was possible then worked out a thread system to make the most use of iron.  Today the threads have been refined to make use of steel properties but Whitworth is still used for British pipe thread, metric pipe threads and the coarse american pipe thread. and UNC was derived from whitworth. and everybody use that.  It is used in every car.

OK.  Twenty-four hours have passed and there are no guesses.  Come on folks.  Where are our British members on this?  Johnathan Colourfeild should know.

Looks like you favourite era again Mike - the 1970s :lol: - and this old bird looks about 70 ish so I'm guessing wartime entertainer. I know it's not Vera Lynne which only leaves Gracie Fields. On the other hand she could be a novelist :P

Those names on the blackboard behind him are absolutely no help   <_<

*sniggers, feeling very pleased with self*

I thought it was Walter Cronkite but that one had a mustache. So I would say it's some TV presenter but IDK which one.

Nope, not an anchorman or TV presenter.

Clue - he has a great name, the kinda name you have to live up to by doing something nameworthy :P

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1