[DomLuka] Aaron Keslin. Evil? Or Just Misunderstood?

Aaron does have friends. Seth is his friend. His friends at the beginning of the story were all throwing water bombs at him. :devil:

Aaron is a vain person more then he is evil. He probably also believes his own bull shit. He reminds me of a character I saw on LOGO called "latter days" It's on at 3pm EST today for those of you with DirecTV or liberal cable provided. The character that reminds me of Aaron in that movie seduced a missionary on a $50 dollar bet. His problem is he ended up falling in love with the kid and was forced to grow out of the SHALLOW person he was into a more mature adult.

We have learned in Dom's stories to expect peeps to grow. Look at Dennis.

Aaron is NOT used to being rejected. I still think he's going to make a play for Rory but he could also apologize. Rory up to this point have been like a feather in the wind. Aaron must feel he's loosing his touch. :(

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is so not my assumption, thats the excuse that your assigning him, im saying that no matter what his home life is like, its no excuse to screwe people over

Re Aaron Sometimes regardless of the difficulties faced as a child a jerk is just a jerk. In the end

whether he hurts you because he's been hurt just doesn't mean anything. Sometimes you've just gotta watch out for yourself.

Aaron is a vain person more then he is evil. He probably also believes his own bull shit. He reminds me of a character I saw on LOGO called "latter days" It's on at 3pm EST today for those of you with DirecTV or liberal cable provided. The character that reminds me of Aaron in that movie seduced a missionary on a $50 dollar bet. His problem is he ended up falling in love with the kid and was forced to grow out of the SHALLOW person he was into a more mature adult.

I actually have that movie, it's a fairly typical teen movie plot line, some guy makes a bet that he can get a girl, then falls for her. The difference in Latter Days being that it's a gay guy going after a Mormon. I really don't see the comparison between Christian(from the movie) and Aaron. The difference is, and this is why I don't buy into the argument that Aaron has come to like Rory and that's why he's chasing after him, is that Aaron showed his true feelings. It wasn't some past action coming to haunt him, he, in a drunken haze, tried to force himself on Rory. There was no time after his bad action to for him to "fall" for Rory. They've had no interaction since his bad action. The only reason he's coming after Rory is because he can't bear the thought of someone dumping him, especially easily impressionable Rory

Well, one could argue that he panicked. Maybe he figured Luke with the much more understanding parents could take it better than he could? This wasn't a pre-meditated attack against Luke, it was an act of depseration where he could only dig himself in deeper.

//shadows

they have mental institutions for people who cant handle reality--aaron should be in one.

OMFG

you are just TOO forgiving Shadow.

i know my parents are gonna wig when i come out to them. my relationship with my sisters are strained because they know and arent very understanding. even with these pressures bearing down on me everyday. i have never intentionally hurt my friends in a malicious way. i have never USED anyone for pure sexual gratification or to make someone else jealous. im not saying that he cant be redeemed, but you my dear are making his excuses for him.

i agree tim. i had to live a double-life for several years and still do to a point--but nothing like it used to be--and i cant say i ever used anyone that way either--either our POV on life is warped or the record playing is!

as to the actual question of this post, Aaron Keslin, Evil? Or just Misunderstood--i think he is evilly misunderstood :devil:

That's not true. I think Iago was a complex character in Othello, that doesn't change the fact that he's pure evil. Beyond that, a character who embodies all things bad about the world is a sometimes used literary device to create bad situations for the protagonist. Thoguh I see Rory as this story's biggest antagonist.

Point taken. My Classical Studies Teacher's favourite saying just came back to bite me. "Beware the Poorly supported assertion".

I can see something happening in terms of redemption, but I don't think it will be similar to what happened to Dennis. Dennis was shown as bad from the beginning and then later became something more complex. Aaron was complex in the beginning and is quickly becoming simply bad.

However, on this point I disagree. Aaron grows more complex with every chapter. I think DD27 will be very interesting as Aaron's behaviour will either meet a pattern or break it. Either way his character becomes clearer.

While I fully believe Dom will do something to revive Aaron's character, I'd rather it not happen. Nothing has pointed us to why he should be as evil as he is. I think it would be refreshing to have a character who's rotten to the core. In real life, people aren't always redeemed in the end, there are cruel sadistic people who will be that way until they die.

I don't necessarily want Aaron to redeem himself, though it would be satisfying to watch (read) Aaron experience Metanoia.

Wynter

He's a very screwed up kid.

And I believe he is capable of tenderness, but... ugh... it goes back to one of my original ideas. When Aaron and Luke first started dating, Aaron started to freak out over the idea he was falling in love with a guy. Therefore, he created an emotional disconnect when it comes to sexual partners.

When he's just having fun, like at the water park, he's quite capable of being sweet. But then when he gets back to... hmm I wonder... when he's out and about and no one else knows him... maybe he's more comfortable... but when he's back at home or in the park, he shuts himself off from being sweet and nice...

Excellent observation Tempus! And a good way of explaining Aaron's behavior during sexual intimacy. But do you really mean "freaked out about falling in love with a guy", implying that he still had issues with his sexuality or just "freaked out about falling in love", implying general intimacy issues? Both are interesting theories. And I think you must be right, there's got to be more to Aaron than we're seeing.

Aaron does have friends. Seth is his friend. His friends at the beginning of the story were all throwing water bombs at him. :devil:

Interesting you should mention that. Ever since I've seen how much Dave and the rest of Luke's friends hate Aaron, I kept being reminded of that chapter. When Aaron was first mentioned by Luke's friends, and in their early interaction, I got the impression that Luke and Aaron didn't get along any more, but had all been in the same "clique", and that Dave et. al. were still somewhat friends with Aaron. It just didn't seem like malicious water balloning to me, it seemed more playful (didn't Dave hit Luke with a water ballon?), and even the dialogue used implied to me that they wanted Luke to get over his problems with Aaron so everyone could move on. I dunno maybe I just got that impression and couldn't shake it because I was reading it without any expectations at that point, and that's what first came into my head.

I actually have that movie, it's a fairly typical teen movie plot line, some guy makes a bet that he can get a girl, then falls for her. The difference in Latter Days being that it's a gay guy going after a Mormon.

I'd just made a mental note to ask you "isn't that the movie you told me about?"........Anyway I really wanna see it now lol.

This is what I'm thinking:

Arron has been a self absorbed little s**t for years. He's gone through guys never really caring about them.

Then Aaron meets Rory- who is in an extremely vulnerable position (new town, new family, big time issues). However- Rory has been warned about Aaron and isn't about to put up with his crap.

Aaron means to have a little fun with the new pup in town but something happened he didn't intend: he fell for Rory.

So... Aaron blew it with Rory and now he's in a lot of pain about it.

This is what I'm thinking:

Arron has been a self absorbed little s**t for years. He's gone through guys never really caring about them.

Then Aaron meets Rory- who is in an extremely vulnerable position (new town, new family, big time issues). However- Rory has been warned about Aaron and isn't about to put up with his crap.

Aaron means to have a little fun with the new pup in town but something happened he didn't intend: he fell for Rory.

So... Aaron blew it with Rory and now he's in a lot of pain about it.

Aww, that's such a romantic mindset. The bad boy falling for the new boy. I'm going to go vomit now, because my tolerance for romance has recently died. Although, I I'd like you to know that deep, deep down. I hope you're right. That might be the only thing that can pull me out of my anti-romance rut.

In the mean time Aaron is evil, and maybe Rory needs to move on from his ex, because ex's are ex's for a reason.

Looking forward to finding out in the next chapter.

Happy sailing,

--Greg

Anyone heard of defense mechanisms?

Aaron shows signs of projection in which he blames others (Rory) or other circumstances when he should be accepting resposibility. I think that's why he lies so much...he can't handle the fact that he screws up...a lot. Maybe his ragged relationship with his family has something to do with his pathological lying.

Anyone heard of defense mechanisms?

Aaron shows signs of projection in which he blames others (Rory) or other circumstances when he should be accepting resposibility. I think that's why he lies so much...he can't handle the fact that he screws up...a lot. Maybe his ragged relationship with his family has something to do with his pathological lying.

Wow, I never thought of it that way...

Aaron's not only evil, but he's also a pathological liar.

Good call,

--Greg.

Aaron isn't going to seek help because he doesn't believe he needs it.

Sure the kid has issues, but I think this chapter is a good example of how not all arseholes are unhappy, infact a great many are happy being arseholes, you can psychoanalyse till blue in the face when you needn't be. If Aaron sees no problem living life the way he does, and people don't like it, then they simply shouldn't associate with him, rather simple logic :P

I'm just wondering that if, now that Aaron was honest for once, he'll come back in a malevolent way to get to Seth. He admitted that he wanted to walk with Rory, just to seperate him from Seth and get him out of Seths truck.

I've been shamelessly flirting and eating chocolate, so I'm in a better mood. And maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but I'm getting the feeling that Aaron might not be so bad. After reading 29, I get the feeling that Aaron might like Rory a little bit more than I originally thought, and no I'm not just overly forgiving of Aaron because I like an Aron.

So Aaron's not evil anymore...just misunderstood...and maybe a little stupid.

--Greg.

Evil? No, but as many have said he has issues and Nolee(i think it was you that wrote this) was right about the projection thing. that's aaron to a T. it's never his fault. always an excuse waiting for what he's done. it's kinda like you're walking along and decide to turn down a dark creepy alley for a shortcut. but then you get mugged. it's not your fault for getting mugged that is definitely the muggers responsiblity, but it is your's for putting yourself in that position. it's not the kinda thing we like to own up to mostly because we're all under the impression that we should be able to walk around wherever without being hurt. but that is not reality. in reality there are not nice people who do bad things to others so we have to adjust our lives to that. but there comes a point when you realize that you're always culpable for your actions and our actions define our reality. things that happen to us usually happen as a result of our own choices. the choices you make define who you are. the choices we make create the conflict in our lives.

Aaron has probably never faced anything. in fact i wouldn't put it past him probably having a screwed up home life. which explains why he tends to skew reality to meet his needs. because the fantasy is easier for him live with. because then it's not really lying if he believes it to be true. i don't think he likes himself or his life very much. he drinks to avoid his feelings. he acts out of fear and a sense that he is a victim of the circumstances of his life. which gives him a sense of entitlement to getting his way. like seth for instance. he told rory that he likes seth still. and i'm sure he thinks he does like seth but it's not seth he likes it's seth's life. seth has a pretty cool home life, and i think aaron craves that.

i don't think that it's a lie that aaron likes rory. does he want to be with rory. no, he was a means and i'm sure aaron did feel bad about it. but like most of those feelings, he pushes them down. because if he's honest about that, then that opens the door to being honest about the rest of his life. he's not prepared for that level of truth. aaron lives in a life of carefully constructed lies, deceit is the glue that keeps his world in one piece. the lies build one on top of the other, and evetually the wieght will be to much and he'll break. this is why he doesn't let people get close. the closer you are the more of the lies you realize. the more likely you'll uncover them and hurt aaron. so he deflects people to protect himself from himself.

we're dealing with a scared and hurt little boy. this in no way excuses the things he's done and i'm not trying to make excuses for him. the things he's done are pretty inexcusable for a friend to do to another. and if he ever chooses to accept the truth of what he's done he'll probably spend the rest of his life making up for it. cause he's going to be haunted by the junk he's done.

Guest rocco1405
I've been shamelessly flirting and eating chocolate, so I'm in a better mood. And maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but I'm getting the feeling that Aaron might not be so bad. After reading 29, I get the feeling that Aaron might like Rory a little bit more than I originally thought, and no I'm not just overly forgiving of Aaron because I like an Aron.

So Aaron's not evil anymore...just misunderstood...and maybe a little stupid.

--Greg.

"You still don

• 2 weeks later...
I see Aaron as someone like Iago from Othello. He's pure evil with no redeeming qualities. Anything he does that seems nice is leading to some hidden agenda. In today's terms, a sociopath.

I have been running on synchronicity this morning! Had been thinking about villains and how they are so often the most compelling if not the most attractive characters. As for instance Shelley said about Paradise Lost that Satan, not God, was the real hero And if you read the poem it is quite clear that Shelley got it right.

A couple of weekends ago I also heard an interview with the Australian playwright Louis Nowra where he complained about the rash of plays in Australia about the ill treatment of migrants/refugees by Australian Authorities. Nowra said the villains in these plays were too one-dimensional and they did not have great lines as villains should.

I disagreed with Nowra because the villains in the refugee plays represent the way things are. As Hannah Arendt pointed out in Eichmann in Jerusalem, there is nothing magnificent about the villain who works for the powerful. They do not transgress in that they seek to uphold the status quo. Evil then becomes banal.

But if one is alienated from the status quo then one want the villain to be the transgressor, the great and fearsome destroyer. Really as with Shelley on Milton this is an echo of the Romantic impulse. Transgression here makes for attractiveness. We want our villains to be like Samson grunting between the pillars and then pulling everything down.

What then of Aaron? What does his villainy consist of? He betrays friendship and shamefully manipulates Rory. He is a threat to a little brave outpost of gayness in a hostile heterosexual world. At this level he is thoroughly dislikeable.

But it is more complicated than that. There is an element of the transgressive about Aaron. What it is I am not at all sure. But he is strangely attractive. I think it might be the way he uses his sexual power on Rory. I am inclined to believe that within the gay psyche there is something of a repulsion towards love based on commitment

It's true, Luke does need someone.......unfortunately for the L**TE's, that someone isn't Rory. It might be Aaron, but I even doubt that, because we all know who Luke is going to end up with once he meets her...

Anyway, I don't feel sorry for Aaron(tls). He get's what he deserves and maybe one of these days, when his car's gone and Seth and Rory are laying up in the cut and Seth turns his cell off, he'll have to hitch hike home, get picked up by some wierdo who doesn't kidnap him, but makes him sorry he put himself in that place, and he'll wise up. Until then, who really cares about him?? After the things he did to Rory and Seth, and the way him and Luke went on a crime spree, he doesn't deserve to have anyones sympathy

It's true, Aaron does need someone.......unfortunately for the L**TE's, that someone isn't Rory. It might be Luke, but I even doubt that, because we all know who Luke is going to end up with once he meets her...

Anyway, I don't feel sorry for Aaron(tls). He get's what he deserves and maybe one of these days, when his car's gone and Seth and Rory are laying up in the cut and Seth turns his cell off, he'll have to hitch hike home, get picked up by some wierdo who doesn't kidnap him, but makes him sorry he put himself in that place, and he'll wise up. Until then, who really cares about him?? After the things he did to Rory and Seth, and the way him and Luke went on a crime spree, he doesn't deserve to have anyones sympathy

I never said Aaron needs someone. Seth needs someone aka Aaron.

Rory and Luke will be together by the end of this story, stop fighting it Nickie

I never said Aaron needs someone. Seth needs someone aka Aaron.

Rory and Luke will be together by the end of this story, stop fighting it Nickie

There's nothing to fight anymore....let's look at the facts

1) Seth had proven to Rory that he's committed to thier relationship, even though Rory's supposedly leaving.

2) Luke is a convicted car thief...that means that he was found guilty in a court of law...I believe that there's more to the story than Rory's telling us.

3) Rory is totally being swept off of his feet by Seth. Everytime Seth has been made to look like he was up to something, he has completly proven to Rory that he was doing the right thing.

4) Eddie and Jase won't allow Rory and Luke to hook up. Even if they did let it happen, as soon as Luke dissapoints Rory and they break up things can't go back to how they were before.

5) Luke isn't good enough for Rory. He's a criminal, and he can't be trusted until he admits to Rory, and to himself, that he stole cars. Personally, I think he'd beat Rory if they ever hooked up. He seems like the type.