How Good is your Gaydar?

Ok, so just for a bit of fun, how good is your Gaydar these days?

I mean, do you think there has ever been a time when you were able to easily guess who was the gay man or woman?

Actually, do woman use a Gaydar? :P (Never heard of them referring to one)

Has your ability to spot a potential guy/girl to chat up increased or got more refined with age?

I have to be honest, with all this media attention surrounding the concept that "gay is cool" I find I look around me these days, and any Gaydar I thought I might have once had, is shot to shreds now! I don't have a clue anymore! :P

But then again, I am finding out more and more that people I was really quite close to in my younger years were gay! :o Makes me wonder if I ever had a Gaydar at all! :P

So got me wondering what your experiences/thoughts were???

Edited by Yettie One
  • Site Administrator

LOL. I think it's easier to tell with 'men' because of the stereotypes people use to judge other people. That being said, I have always found it sort of easy to tell when people are into the opposite/same sex based on body language and subtle interactions. It can be a bit harder to tell with women about how they are interested in, because so many women are touchy feely with each other without physical attraction.

• Like 1

There's an app for that. It's called Grindr.

jk. My gaydar is alright. I've always been able to pick up effeminate characteristics in men easily but that doesn't mean that they're necessarily gay (although I have yet to be proven wrong)

• Like 1

I've never been able to figure it out but then I'm generally clueless when it comes to people in general, let alone something as complicated as this.  I really need to get a decoder ring or something!

• Like 1

Nope, he might be bisexual :P

I've set my gaydar to "all the hot ones like man sex" :) it's not like my gaydar worked at all anyway, so I'm just going to live in my fantasy world haha.

FishWings, I've met many an effeminate man who's turned out to be straight! It's a cultural thing for me sometimes IMO - British masculinity is not the same as Bangladeshi masculinity which is not the same as American masculinity etc etc. If that makes any sense

• Like 2

I'm not clueless (like Rustle is). I'm just flat-out wrong most of the time. Now, if two guys are walking down the street or across campus and I see them holding hands, well, that's a clue that even I can't ignore. Or if they're wearing rainbow T's. But two guys just walking along together? If I'm asked to guess you're probably better off picking the opposite of what I say.

Colin B)

• Like 1

FishWings, I've met many an effeminate man who's turned out to be straight! It's a cultural thing for me sometimes IMO - British masculinity is not the same as Bangladeshi masculinity which is not the same as American masculinity etc etc. If that makes any sense

You make a good point -- I think it is cultural! I think this whole thing led me to believe more British youtube stars weren't straight even though they probably are

I've never been able to figure it out but then I'm generally clueless when it comes to people in general, let alone something as complicated as this.  I really need to get a decoder ring or something!

128952840885622070.jpg

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

I suppose I could carry some gaydar with me, but I might need to wear a lead suit or something.  I had a similar problem when there were some guys working on the downstairs bathroom, and every time I got close their stud finder kept going off, so I had to stay away until they left.  It's a good thing I'm not a carpenter.

• Like 2

There's too much gay radiation in Boston, my gaydar cannot be trusted to identify a metro fashionista and a flaming art school student :P

• Like 1

Almost /everyone/ comes across as gay. Pretty sure it's broken, then... I mean, it's either that or SoCal's full of faux-gay teenagers.

And that clearly cannot be an option. No siree.

Seriously though, a lot of straight teenagers come across as gay, but they're not, so it's like, WTF? But then there's some older gentlemen who just scream it in a different way.... Pretty sure the male baristas at the local Starbucks are all gay. Each and everyone of them. No way /that/ many straight guys can be so ever-smiling, hawt, and spiffy. It's impossible.

• Like 1

I don't know. The last time I tried to download it on my phone, it was "Hardware Incompatible". :P

Seriously, I never had any sense of Gaydar. Looking at the responses, I wonder if it's not a myth... 

Cheers

Ieshwar

• Like 1

mine is fully non-existant, but then I'm rather oblivious to most things... I swear I could walk into people and be all appologetic, but in my head be wondering 'where did they come from?' :P

I also have to say, it is REALLY hard to tell with canadian guys my age... none of them seem to have any concept of physical space, and are as likely to high-five someone as to hug them...

Edited by Foopy
  • Like 1

Very meh. I just tend to assume everyone I'm attracted to is gay and everyone who looks like a douchebag is straight, lol. Every once and a while I'll see a guy who either dresses or acts really stereotypical/flamey and I'll be like, oh, ok, HE'S gay, definitely and of course I'm pretty sure any guys I see with their arms around each other or kissing are gay. Or maybe just really, really secure in their sexuality.

• Like 1

I have a terrible gaydar. My straight friends have a better gaydar than I do. Haha. They actually all tend to laugh at me simply for the reason that they'll tell me- "Oh my God, so and so is so gay." And I'm like.. Wait. He's gay? 

For real, it's a hinderance. I think life would be a little bit easier if my gaydar actually worked. Hahahahaha. :D Then maybe I could finally find a boyfriend! ;)

• Like 1

I remember going into this remote beach with my best friend. We were supposed to be 5 friends to go at that beach but the three of them cancelled at the last minute. I was bored as hell that summer and decided that I'll bask in the summer sun no matter what it took.

When we arrived, the two of us were so tired from hand-carrying the tent, the water bottles and our own crap that we immediately set camp and slept the whole day. I slept in the hammock while being ravaged by fire ants creeping on my legs. And my bestfriend slept inside the tent since she was having a cold and a slight fever.

I woke up at around 11'ish PM and almost slept for 10 hours. I decided to have my shower from the communal shower/loo-of-doom. Afterwards, I grabbed the bottle of scotch inside the tent.

When I was searching the tent, a man nudged my shoulders and asked me. "Hey bro, do you have a light?"

I turned around and noticed that he was one of the guys from the group of couples from the other tent a few miles beside ours. There were four people in their group, 2  women and 2 men, and him being one of them.

I took out my lighter and he took out his cigarette. After he got his ciggy lit, he said "Thanks."

I then returned to my business in finding the bottle of scotch, because I was planning to drink it in the seaside and have some alone time.

The man returned and asked me another question so I stood up and turned to him as he said, "Uhm... hey bro. Can I blow you off, over there?" as he pointed to the shrubberies behind our tent.

I thought to myself, "YAY! I'm getting laid!" but then I reasoned that getting herpes from a stranger and with me moaning or grunting would wake my best friend from her snoring.

So I became a prude and said to him, "Thanks but... I'm with someone. I don't normally do these things. Thanks but I'll pass."

The man smiled and returned to his tent. While my friend pretended to be asleep and mocked me for the whole night as we drank the bottle of scotch at the beach sands.

My answer to the question with regards to my gaydar: For me, I can't really tell if anyone is gay nowadays. The man who asked me for some sexual rendezvous in the woods had a ring in his finger, so I reckoned he was married. If I bumped into him in another scenario, probably in a mall or in a public pool, he'd probably turn out to be a heterosexual man in my opinion... without the onset of a blow-job of course.

And yes, my gaydar is shit. 

• Like 1

Phew, hell I am glad to know I am not the only one that has a malfunctioning gay radar. :P

I wish it were easier sometimes though. I mean, there are some pretty damn hot men that I'd rather fancy flirting with, but the idea of a fat lip does put me off chancing it a little! :/

Mine worked pretty well when I was in my mid/late teens, but since I got together with Brett it's kinda in the crapper.

These days it's more a "he's cute radar", "if I were fifteen years younger hell yeah radar" or "could be useful for a threesome radar"  ;)

Edited by andy021278