Prompt #236 - First Line

Our Fine Feathered Friends?

"I have to have a talk with your mother."  KC looked like he had not slept in days.

Cassie looked at him with concern and asked, "Why do you want to talk to my mom?  I thought you didn't like her since she told you that you weren't supossed to wear patent stilettos with short denim skirts.  You pouted the rest of the night."

"I don't like her, but doesn't she have some kind of talking bird?"

Washing dishes at the sink, Jo Ann turned to look at the two of them.  "Don't tell me you're going to buy another bird.  The last one you had fled because you dyed his feathers everytime you dyed your hair.  I've always suspected the poor thing learned to unlock his own cage out of fear for his own life."

KC glared at Jo Ann before replying.  "Well, not that it's any of your business, but I want to ask her what kind of bird is living in my yard.  I have moved to every bedroom in my house and it seems to find me.  It sits outside whatever bedroom window I am closest and literally screams or screeches at me.  It's beginning to keep me awake at night.  I mean, it doesn't talk after dark or anything, I am just creeped out by it."

Cassie looked down at the floor to keep from looking at Jo Ann before saying to KC.  "Go to the library or buy a book on birds.  That should help."

"Don't you think I've got enough sense to have already tried looking it up.  I have bought books and even a dvd on species of birds and no luck so far."  KC said impatiently.

Jo Ann came to sit down acrss the bar from them, and opened a beer.  "What color is this creature that creeps you out and keeps you awake at night?"

"That's what's wierd.  It is solid red, kinda funny shaped head.  The head is almost too round.  It's got a short beak, but I see the beak move when it screams at me."  KC said, looking hopefully at the two girls.

"Doesn't even sound like any talking bird that I've seen or heard of,"Cassie said.  "You sure you're not watching too much of the Gay Nature channel?"

"No!  The damn bird screeches or screams at me everytime I go in a bedroom or in my bathroom that's got the big window.  When I was getting dressed to go out Saturday evening, I was ready to kill it.  By the time I finished dressing, I had lost the urge to even go trolling at the bars."

"What did it say to cause such a dramatic change in your plans.  Normally, nothing can keep you out of the bars on Saturday nights unless we've got you a hot blind date.  The times that hasn't worked out, you go to the bars afterwards to troll.."  Jo Ann tried not to smirk at the dirty look KC shot at her.

"You haven't told us what it said yet."  Cassie got her a beer and handed KC one.  She then sat down beside Jo Ann, both of them facing KC.

KC's face turned a bright red before he stuttered, "Juuuuuuust things."

"Well, just things must be pretty bad to cause you to lose sleep over them  Elaborate a little please if you expect us to help," Jo Ann urged patiently.

KC pulled out a chair from the table and flopped down.  He glared at Jo Ann before continuing.  "No laughing or making fun or I am leaving right then.  Promise me."

The girls laughed, but quickly held up their right hand and said, "Girl Scout's honor."

"The other night I was standing in front of my bathroom mirror trying out a new shade of twenty-four hour lip gloss and all of a sudden it screamed,'Show me that pucker babes.  Open up for me."  I stuck the damn applicator up my nose when I jumped."

Jo Ann quickly put her beer to her mouth as Cassie kicked her under the table, knowing she was fixing to spit beer all over her from laughing.

"Well, what did you do after that?' Jo Ann asked as she got up to get more beer for them. She handed Cassie and KC theirs and sat back down, looking at KC expectantly.

"I went to my bedroom to get dressed to go to Dirty Devin's Den.  Since it is pretty casual, I opted for a tight denim skirt and denim vest with a red sports bra.  Then, as I was pulling on my red cowboy boots, it screeched so loud I know all the neighbors heard."

"Well, what did it say?", Cassied asked patiently.

"Yeah, you gonna ride you a cowboy tonite aren't you?  Grab'em by the ears and hold on with your boots sexy. Ride them til they scream for mercy."  KC mimicked the screech of the bird perfectly.

Jo Ann was shaking with mirth so hard that Cassie pinched her hard under the table causing her to screech, "Dammit, that hurt."

KC didn't even notice he was so involved in his tale.

"I still don't see why you can't sleep if it doesn't scream or talk after dark."  Jo Ann shrugged as she said the words.  "Doesn't seem mean to me, just a bird that probably escaped from some pervert that trained it to say all that crap."

"No, you don't understand how bad it has gotten.  I feared for my life last night when I was getting dressed to go to "Ready Freddy's Poof Palace."  KC was looking more upset now, just thinking of the incident.

"So, tell us what went on KC.  We can't help if we don't know."  Cassie shifted in her seat so she could stomp Jo Ann's foot who was about to have a heart attack in her attempt to keep a straight face.

KC sat up straighter in his chair and said in a serious, fearful tone.  "I  put on my purple garter belt and bra, before attaching my black fishnets to the belt.  Then I pulled my backless little black leather dress out of the closet.  You know the one that has all the cleavage?"  He gushed about his clothing as he spoke, causing CAssie to all but push her fingernails into Jo Ann's thigh when she pinched her to keep JO Ann from giggling.

"Well, nothing happened until I reached for my read feathered boa and all of a sudden there was this loud screeching scream."  KC shuddered before he continued.

"Is that fucking feathers you douchbag?  I will peck your weasel eyes out in your sleep if you wear that you prick." KC's imitation of the screeching bird had both girls fighting back laughter.

"Let's go see if it is there now and we'll try to help you get rid of it,"  Jo Ann grabbed her purse from the couch and motioned them all out the door.

The girls parked behind KC's truck and got out to follow him into the house.  They all went to KC's bedroom and sure enough there was the big red bird sitting on the limb of the small oak outside of KC's window.

"I am going to take a closer look," Jo Ann said as she walked to open the window.  When she got it all the way open, she reached into the side pocket of her purse and brought out her pistol. 

KC screamed in horror as he watched Jo Ann aim the pistol, and shoot out the window.  The poor little bird did not even screech as it's whole body exploded from the impact.

"You killed my bird, Jo Ann."  KC wailed pitifully.

"You said the damn thing had you so scared that you could not sleep at night.  Why are you so upset?'  Cassie turned to KC as she spoke.

"Well, I thought I might could find out what kind of bird it is, or was, and train it for myself." KC replied almost tearfully.

"Oh that's easy," Cassie said as she pulled a magazine out of her purse. "It cost just $69.95 and is called the Red Recording Joker.  There's several voices available to use and you can also make it scream, screech or moan.  All you have to do is speak into the small mic that is connected to the small recorder inside the bird's body.  Kinda neat huh?  That is why I bought one for Jo Ann and we thought you would be the perfect person to try it out on."

KC roared like a mean lion and ran toward Jo Ann with one of his purple stilettos above his head.  "I will kill both of you bitches if I ever catch you.  You don't know when to stop do you?"

Throwing the magazine onto the table beside KC"s bed, Cassie decided she better go help Jo Ann.  After all, she was the one that ordered the bird for Jo Ann, knowing full well what was going to happen.  But, it was so much damn fun she thought and giggled as she ran toward Jo Ann's cries for help!

• Like 2

Prompt 236

“I have to have a talk with your mother”.   Carl shook his head distractedly.

“I really wish you wouldn't. She is mad enough at me as it is. If she finds out I took this to you instead of talking to her about it, I will not see the outside of the house till Christmas!”

Rob shuddered and sank down onto the sofa behind him. Carl was a good friend. He could bring just about anything to him. Problem was, he had started out as mom’s friend before he and Rob had gotten tight.  Sometimes that really got in the way.  Carl had this really defined sense of right and wrong, and if he thought there was a need tell Rob’s mom something no amount of pleading or threats would stop him.

“Rob, listen to me.  Your mom only wants the best for you.  I've known her since you were a tadpole for god’s sake. I can’t keep something as big as this one from her.  I said I would take you in for the testing and I mean that, but I just can’t justify not telling her. I know it’s free at the student health office, and you are over 21, but she is still your mom. You have to tell her or I will.”

“I thought I was doing everything right here. I never figured on finding him in bed with that whore.”

“I know kiddo, but you did. Now we need to deal with all the possibilities that has created. Do I need to ask where you stand with him?”

“Where do you think I stand? He is outta here. I tossed all his clothes out the damned window and he is lucky I didn't toss him and his little twink out the window after them.”

Carl chuckled to himself. He knew it wasn't funny but he really would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall that afternoon.

Rob had been seeing Jason for what seemed like forever. They met on the commons at the university the week before their freshman classes started and hit it off. Now three years later, instead of on campus housing for their senior year they had moved into an apartment together.  Coming home early and finding him in bed with that scrawny freshman Steve was more than a shock.

“I really thought things were right. Our own place, mom liked him, we both had good jobs, easy class loads. It looked like we were all set for the best senior year ever. We both have the promise of full time work once our degrees are done.  Jason was even talking about the possibility of tying the knot after graduation now that it’s legal here.”

“Well what is done is done. We need to focus on what to do next. You need to go into student health and get tested. We can’t take the chance that he caught something during his little trysts and passed it to you. And we HAVE to tell your mother that you are going to do that – or better yet we can tell her together at dinner after I take you over there. That way I can back you up. Besides, you know it isn't you she is mad at. She is just pissed off that Jason did her baby wrong.”

“Do you really have to be so calm, cool and logical all the time?”

“Isn't that why you came to me in the first place? You knew I would push you to do what you know has to be done. First student health, then tell mom, then we can start figuring out what to do about your living arrangements. You can’t afford that place on just your salary, so you need to decide if you want to take in a roommate or do you want to sublet it and move back home or maybe back into the senior dorms. Those are pretty much like small apartments. Give you the privacy you want and not as expensive. They have the added advantage of not far to crawl home to after a Friday night party on campus.

“Mom please. There is no reason to be shouting at either Carl or me!”

“No reason? No reason? You just sat here and told me my son might have gotten AIDS from a low down cheating bastard, and that you went to handle that all on your own and didn't even bother telling me, and there is         NO REASON for me to be upset?”

“Calm down Rose. The chances are that Rob found out before any harm could be done to his health. Testing is just a precaution. It’s very early in the semester so the affair couldn't have been going on for long. Rob said Jason was wearing nothing but the condom as he chased them out of the apartment, so it’s a pretty safe bet Rob didn't end up being exposed to anything.”

Rose sat down heavily at the dining room table and let her head fall to her crossed arms. She knew she needed to get a grip but honestly, how could they expect her to be calm about something like this. She looked up and stared at Carl.

“Can I have a glass of iced tea?  Maybe with a little something in it to take the edge off?”

Rob was expecting this, hoping for it really. He knew once the shouting stopped his mom would settle back and sip her way through one drink and not say anything till she finished it. While it meant a longish wait while she slowly finished her drink, it also meant a calmer gentler Rose to deal with.

Twenty minutes later the three sat eating Chinese food from cardboard containers with disposable chopsticks and laughing. The food delivery couldn't have been timed better, showing up just as Rose took the last sip of her softly spiked iced tea. 

“You didn't really chase them out of the apartment with a broom did you? Without even letting them pull on a pair of britches?”

“Yep. The only thing either of em had on was Jason’s condom!”

Rose laughed so hard she almost choked on her lomein.

“Oh lord!  I hate that you have to go through all of this, but I would have loved to see that.”

“You should have seen the look on that old couples face! The ones that watch everything while peeking through the curtains. I hope I didn't give him a heart attack when I chased them past their window.”

• Like 5

"Hey hunny?  I need to talk to your mother," Cristoph said as he styled his hair in the mirror and practiced his sexy smiles.

"Which one?" Sam grunted from the couch.  He was reading a copy of Men's Health, although he wasn't really reading per se.

"You know.  The one that birthed you."

That made Sam look up.  He stared long and hard at his lover's reflection in the bathroom mirror.  "...what on earth do you need to talk to her for?  Janet is much easier to talk to.  Why can't you just talk to her?"  Thinking that would be the end of it, he gazed back down at Mr. Handsome-with-baby-blue-bedroom-eyes.  He could tap that.

"Sam!  Why do you insist that your mother is crazy?" Cris asked, coming out of the bedroom and flopping across Sam's lap.  "And why, pray tell, are you looking at me in a magazine again?"

"Because you hardly ever give me that look anymore," Sam teased, placing a chaste kiss on Cris's lips.  "And about my mother, if you hadn't noticed it's because she is batshit.  Do you remember what happened on Christmas?"

Cris snickered, shifting so that he straddled Sam's lap.  "I thought that those Care Bear underwear were cute!  Not to mention thoughful.  Aren't you my little Care Bear baby?"  He ran his hands suggestively down Sam's chest.

"Stop that!  It was one thing to buy them.  It was quite another to make me wear them and parade around the house in front of my father and my siblings," the larger man groused.

"Well, at least they're all older than you right?  They probably appreciated it as much as I did."  Cris's grin was widening as his hands slipped lower.

"And now you're groping my crotch.  Oh.  Wow.  Yea, I'm starting to question your sanity now too, Cris."  Sam slapped Cris's hands away and promptly ignored his pout.  "What do you have to talk to my mother for anyway?"

"Oh, you know," Cris said with a dismissive shrug.  "She once told me she had saved some of your sperm, so I was thinking about using it for our surrogate."

"She WHAT?!"

"Hey hunny?  I need to talk to your mother," Cristoph said as he styled his hair in the mirror and practiced his sexy smiles.

"Which one?" Sam grunted from the couch.  He was reading a copy of Men's Health, although he wasn't really reading per se.

"You know.  The one that birthed you."

That made Sam look up.  He stared long and hard at his lover's reflection in the bathroom mirror.  "...what on earth do you need to talk to her for?  Janet is much easier to talk to.  Why can't you just talk to her?"  Thinking that would be the end of it, he gazed back down at Mr. Handsome-with-baby-blue-bedroom-eyes.  He could tap that.

"Sam!  Why do you insist that your mother is crazy?" Cris asked, coming out of the bedroom and flopping across Sam's lap.  "And why, pray tell, are you looking at me in a magazine again?"

"Because you hardly ever give me that look anymore," Sam teased, placing a chaste kiss on Cris's lips.  "And about my mother, if you hadn't noticed it's because she is batshit.  Do you remember what happened on Christmas?"

Cris snickered, shifting so that he straddled Sam's lap.  "I thought that those Care Bear underwear were cute!  Not to mention thoughful.  Aren't you my little Care Bear baby?"  He ran his hands suggestively down Sam's chest.

"Stop that!  It was one thing to buy them.  It was quite another to make me wear them and parade around the house in front of my father and my siblings," the larger man groused.

"Well, at least they're all older than you right?  They probably appreciated it as much as I did."  Cris's grin was widening as his hands slipped lower.

"And now you're groping my crotch.  Oh.  Wow.  Yea, I'm starting to question your sanity now too, Cris."  Sam slapped Cris's hands away and promptly ignored his pout.  "What do you have to talk to my mother for anyway?"

"Oh, you know," Cris said with a dismissive shrug.  "She once told me she had saved some of your sperm, so I was thinking about using it for our surrogate."

"She WHAT?!"

Care bear underwear :funny:    Very nice story, I also liked the end  :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a fast writer and have had trouble getting the end the way I wanted it but... well... it's probably the best it's going to get, even if it's a few weeks "late". Given that this is my first writing post here, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to improve. Thanks.

"I have to have a talk with your mother." James looked uncomfortable at the thought.

"Don't. You. Dare." Eve's eyes were squinted and angry. "She brought this on herself and she's going to suffer because of it."

I was feeling almost queasy. It could have been having to wear a tuxedo in the hot and humid weather. Perhaps I needed some cold water. "J? Would you get me a glass of water?" 

I couldn't help but watch his hard ass as he walked away. Then my mind yelled 'Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! This is your wedding. You need to stop thinking like that, at least for awhile!' My stomach flopped a little more. I started sweating even more.

"Sis, is this really the right thing to do? I mean we both know she's not going to be happy about this." I didn't even look at her. I just wasn't able to face her probably angry retort.

"Look. I know you're the forgiving sort. Goodness knows I watched you go back into that lion's den time and again." I could tell by the sound of her voice that she was facing away from me. When I looked up, I could see that she was staring intently at something in the back yard with her arms crossed. "But she came where she wasn't wanted. I don't even know how she heard about your wedding. I know *I* didn't tell her. Jamie didn't, I'm sure of that too. There's no way James did. And you don't have any people in common anymore. You didn't call her, did you?"

I squirmed a bit. "No, I didn't call her. I will admit that I thought about it though. She, at least, should have the right of refusing to attend if that's what she wanted. But I was afraid that she would accept." I tugged at the collar of the tux, trying to let some of the heat out. "As I expected, I'm a wreck and she's cool as a cucumber."

"Well, you and I both know that by the end of the day she's going to be hot under her own collar." Eve turned and looked down at me. She could see how stressed I was. She came over, knelt and put her arms around me for a tight hug. "Ok. Maybe this will be a little cruel but we can't let her start ranting before the ceremony. And once it's under way, she'll shut up. Or leave."

She stroked my hair a bit to try to calm me down. "I'm sorry that this isn't going to be the wonderful day that you wanted it to be. But I don't know what else to do. Her upbringing is all wrong to understand."

James came back and handed me a glass. I took a deep gulp. "Perhaps I should talk to her first. That way she can get out of here."

Eve snorted. "Right. Or she can start yelling about it. And you know that's what she's going to do."

"It still seems cruel. Even for her."

My sister sighed. "Try not to think about her. You're here to get married and she's *not* going to stop that. You can be damned sure that I would hogtie and gag her before she could even get that far. And I've made sure that she won't raise a public fuss. I asked Kevin to talk to her like he's a reporter doing a story on your wedding. There's no way she'd let some reporter make her look like a fool in the paper, even if no one she knows would read it."

James cleared his throat. "Look Seth. I don't know anything about her except what you and Eve have told me. I don't really want her here either. You nearly passed out last night when you answered the door and she was standing there. But she started yelling about not being invited and we knew we had to do something. So we're letting her stay for today. Everyone here, except for your mother, knows what's going on and what's going to happen. Most of them think it's going to be a little funny. You know that I don't think it's all that funny but at least the wedding can go on as planned." He grimaced. "Well, as much as that's possible."

"Ok. We don't really have any choice about it so let's get this going."

Eve led me out into our backyard which was festively decorated. About a dozen friends were smiling and chatting. As we moved toward the table set up in the back, most of them smiled broadly -- happy for us. I noticed that Kevin was standing next to my mother holding a small pad of paper and pencil. My mother was not smiling. I could tell that she wanted to say something but she a short glance at Kevin's moving pencil made her mouth draw up into moue. I was going to try not to look in that direction for the rest of the ceremony.

Eve went to stand beside me. She was my "best man". I could feel my mother's blood pressure rising. The officiant, Heather, smiled at me and said, quietly, "Everything is going to be alright. Let your love calm your heart."

Soft music started and everyone turned to watch the back door.

First out the door was Jamie, dressed in a beautiful flowing blue gown, and obviously quite pregnant. She was due in about a month. She was beautiful. She calmly walked -- waddled is probably a better description -- to the table, stood to one side and turned to watch.

There was a slight swell in the music and James came out the door smiling broadly at everyone at first and then focused his eyes on me as he walked to the table. I heard a little gasp of "What?!?" from my mother's direction but ignored it. I was lost in James's smile. 

He walked up to me and grabbed my hand. I could sense his nervousness too. A quiet "No!" came from the side. Silently, as the music continued, he looked into my eyes. Love was there; there was no mistaking that. I tried to send the same back to him.

Then, as we had planned, James turned to Jamie, took her hand and put it in mine as they switched positions. I smiled broadly at Jamie and, glancing over her shoulder, could see James smiling face. I noticed Jamie looking over my shoulder, also smiling broadly. 

As the music ended, Eve and James then moved to the opposite side: James and I were now on one side, and Jamie and Eve were on the other. There was a bit of a noise behind me but I could now ignore it.

Heather took us through the short ceremony of vows. Jamie and I didn't exchange rings. It's what we wanted. "I now pronounce you married." I leaned over and gave Jamie a light touching of lips. As Eve, Jamie, James and I turned to face our friends, they started clapping and laughing. We stepped away from the table and they came over to congratulate us: hugs and kisses for everyone. I was happy and relieved that the ceremony was over.

"Just what in God's name is going on, Seth Reston?" Apparently, my mother couldn't restrain herself any longer. I could feel the shock of fear running through my body. I reached to grab James's hand. "Are you trying to make a mockery of marriage? What was that James fella doing? And are you telling me that you got this woman pregnant before you got married? I know you know that that's a sin."

Before I could reply, Eve grabbed her arm and dragged her away saying "Shut up. You're a disgrace. Just let him be. He's doing the best that he can because of people like you." My mother, momentarily shocked by what Eve said, was able to be pulled away.

Jamie and James grabbed my arms and pulled me over to the table with gifts and cake.  Some of our friends were laughing and looking back at my sister and mother who were having a none-too-quiet "discussion". 

"That was great, Seth!" one of them said. "You should have seen how her face changed each time. It was hilarious." I smiled wanly and didn't reply. I was worried and felt a little sorry for my mother. It's just the way I am.

About one month later

Jamie had been in labor for more than 24 hours. Eve had been with her the whole time. I couldn't bear to see her in pain and spent only part of the time with her. James had been there the whole time just trying to calm me down.

"She'll be fine. I know it's difficult for you to know that she's in pain but remember that it's more difficult for her." He squeezed my hand. "I love you, you know."

"Yes, I know. I wish this could have turned out differently though." 

"Well, we all knew what we were getting into. It will be fine. It will be good. We will all be happy."

We heard fast footsteps in the hallway. Eve was there, waving us back saying "It's a baby girl!"

James and I hurried back. Jamie looked -- well, she looked both terrible and happy, if such a look could exist. She was holding the baby wrapped in a blanket. She smiled at us. "She's beautiful, Seth. And she's going to be the most spoiled child with two fathers and two mothers." 

Eve bent to give her a kiss. I pulled James close to my side and gave him a kiss too. It's strange to be married to my sister's spouse but this child was ours -- all of ours.
  • Like 2

It took me a bit to figure it out but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very different twist and quite original. And I loved the mother felt sorry for her until she opened her mouth anyway lol.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...