Timmy's Terrible Prompt Stories by TimothyM

So Irri, are you saying that words don't hurt so they do not deserve a physical response?

1) No

2) I quote:

I realize it's not realistic or in most instances possible

Part of the fun of bullying can be to pull smaller or weaker kids into fights, and get them into trouble. You were dealing with the fathers, more than three decades ago. And you won that fight. And that was elementary school.

Since then, the penalties for fighting have gotten worse, and have been less and less judiciously applied, even to little kids.

3) 

just a reminder that laws are not always right. And just because the majority supports them it still does not make them proper.

It doesn't matter if I agree with a law, Carlos! If my kid gets caught breaking it, it's his future that's potentially affected, not mine or yours. That alone is reason to be cautious.

• Like 1

Tim has the right idea there. My father intentionally kept refilling my wine glass when I was not looking so I never seemed to finish the "just one" he gave me. His intention was for me to recognize when I became tipsy, and when pleasantly buzzed passed into the realms of had too much. Problem was I managed to walk up the floating dock to the car with no problem and the designated driver for the night (mom) had to fish him out of the water!

• Like 3

True, long time ago and not realistic for the smaller kid most of the time. But the first time my child gets bullied I raise bloody hell, threaten lawsuits and put the kid into a Martial Arts class so he can learn how to defend himself. In with that size doesn't matter!

Irri, depends on how he's caught breaking it and what you define as consequences. Kids having drinks at home, under supervision at that age is preferrable to them going to the beach and getting drunk on rotgut. They are going to drink no matter what so make it as safe as possible for them.

And I don't think a kid getting caught drinking is really going to have much of an effect on their future. We may disagree there but I know of an extremely well respected attorney who's a friend that had to explain two DUI arrests when he applied to the bar. They took place while in college and they were a non-issue. It's all in the nuances.

• Like 1

Also the thing is (in school): as soon as you hit someone, you're automatically the bad boy in the eyes of the teachers. Or at least that's so in Danish schools where a lot of the teachers are female. No matter the provocation, you've lost the argument if you resort to hitting. And in some ways (with all the wife battering that unfortunately still happens) I can see the point. Punching should be a last resort, but if you're bullied it can be justifiable. 

Sometimes a quick fight can clear the air, as long as it stays on the wresteling and body punching stage. But it's always hard to draw the line. And for a woman hitting probably always seems excessive.

We have had a debate going the past five years about girls overtaking boys in the education race, ie more of them get higher grades and better education. One of the reasons discussed is whether this is because the school system caters to girls (partly due to teachers being predominantly female). Eg boys have a harder time sitting still, and they learn better if they do something active and get breaks where they can move around. I think we need to accept there are still some basic biologial differences and try to work with them rather than suppress them.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 5

Timmy I think you've just highlighted why Irri and I see this matter differently. Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.... but I'm a Taurus and my ruling planet is Venus so not sure where I get my easy acceptance of violence under the right circumstances. :kiss::fight::kiss::fight::kiss:

• Like 2

Timmy I think you've just highlighted why Irri and I see this matter differently. Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.... but I'm a Taurus and my ruling planet is Venus so not sure where I get my easy acceptance of violence under the right circumstances. :kiss::fight::kiss::fight::kiss:

Horsepucky, to use your maidenly euphemistic form of speech :P  I used to be totally of your way of thinking, till a female friend explained to me, very gently, that she'd been in daily fights for something like a year to defend her little sister, against boys I think, and lost every single one. She explained that violence is an awesome option against bullies as long as you can be sure you're on the winning side. It's about firepower, not Mars and Venus.

Edit: LOL, and I think she was in Florida too.

Edited by Irritable1

The "equality of the sexes" is such a bunch of BS!  Men and women are wired and hinged differently and while people should be treated the same regardless of sex, and paid the same for the same work, people really do have to accept that a 5'5 110 pound female will never be able to compete physically with a 6'5 250 guy!

• Like 2

A friend of mine had to stand up at a parents meeting in school some years ago and explain that her oldest son (who was ten at the time) had been brought up to respect the word Stop when he teased his younger brother (who was handicapped). In return he was used to being treated the same way.

So when the boys in his class wouldn't stop teasing, even when he told them to or tried to leave, he would sometimes get so desperate that he hit them. She told the other parents: "I don't condone hitting, but if your child comes home and says XX hit them, chances are they started it by deliberately picking on him and refusing to stop." She told me no parent ever called her again to complain, although the school would occasionally report that he had hit other children.

She didn't blame him for losing his temper, but she did try to convince him that he would be better off not hitting, just to avoid getting into trouble.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

And I don't think a kid getting caught drinking is really going to have much of an effect on their future. We may disagree there but I know of an extremely well respected attorney who's a friend that had to explain two DUI arrests when he applied to the bar. They took place while in college and they were a non-issue. It's all in the nuances.

*lighting the Molotov*

Wellllll, skin tone, neighborhood, and DA's axe to grind may have a lot to say to that there. I've seen enough differential treatment of darker friends that I'm taking no risks, thank you. We're probably ok where we are, but I'm not trading on privilege, or having the kids do it, if I can help it.

I have actually let both kids have wine in the Fronsh manner when we were in Paris: a couple teaspoons in water.  Mild sense of occasion, no biggie.

• Like 1

Also the thing is (in school): as soon as you hit someone, you're automatically the bad boy in the eyes of the teachers. Or at least that's so in Danish schools where a lot of the teachers are female. No matter the provocation, you've lost the argument if you resort to hitting. And in some ways (with all the wife battering that unfortunately still happens) I can see the point. Punching should be a last resort, but if you're bullied it can be justifiable. 

Sometimes a quick fight can clear the air, as long as it stays on the wresteling and body punching stage. But it's always hard to draw the line. And for a woman hitting probably always seems excessive.

We have had a debate going the past five years about girls overtaking boys in the education race, ie more of them get higher grades and better education. One of the reasons discussed is whether this is because the school system caters to girls (partly due to teachers being predominantly female). Eg boys have a harder time sitting still, and they learn better if they do something active and get breaks where they can move around. I think we need to accept there are still some basic biologial differences and try to work with them rather than suppress them.

I think the issue is partly that education--sufficient education to be able to survive--requires higher levels of literacy than ever before. It's true that the advantage is really with the young student who can deal with an academic environment. In the US parents deal with this by "red-shirting"--holding back their boys for a year till they're better able to comply with requirements. We had a problem with this because Dove was academically ready very young, so we put him in, and he's performing at grade-level, but socially and physically he's not as mature as boys who are one to two years older than he is, in the same class. Fortunately it's a pretty gentle environment and he has friends.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 3

I forgot to commet on one aspect in Carlos' review of ch 15:

High school kids, of course Chris' fat lip will be a subject of conversation on Monday just as Rob breaking up with his girl will be.

I have the feeling that he's quite right and Rob may accidentally have averted a lot of the attention from the new couple in school. Rob being single (and how) will probably be a much hotter gossip topic than Nelson and Eric being boyfriends.

I'll say it before Team Rob does:  once again it's Rob to the Rescue. :lol:

• Like 3

OK, with the help of AC, I've just finished what may be one of the best chapters so far. I certainly enjoyed writing it.

The story is far from finished, but I really should get back to Russell and Evan who are overdue for their twin talk in CC.

So I want to ask:

would you like the chapter now ? Knowing that I may not get back to it until the holidays start in a week's time.

Or do you want it as a solstice (or early Christmas) present ? ie on the 21st

And yes, there is plenty of Rob in it. Geez :rolleyes:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

It would also so not be Rob if he respected a closed door!

Indeed, and surely he hopes to surprise his brother in a compromising situation ... ;-). One must wonder why. I loved how he found a way to talk BJs and choked at the thought of bottoming (no pun intended).

JAR

• Like 1

I thought you might. :lol:

Gary has offered to teach Rob what versatile means. I'm sure you'll be happy to help too.

Thanks for the "offer," but he's a bit too young even for me ... And I don't do versatile ... So I leave it up to Gary. Maybe in ten years, when Rob has become hunky Robert, I'll add some of my skills .

i think you need to create a love interest for Rob now. He is the guy who rebounds without overthinking ...

JAR

• Like 1

i think you need to create a love interest for Rob now. He is the guy who rebounds without overthinking ...

JAR

You may have a point there. Although I can see him do a bit of a pin ball rebounding for the rest of high school, since he's only been with Melanie. Maybe it's time for him to sow his wild oats, whether straight or 'bent'. :lol:

Ehm, Rob keeps shouting in my head and the only way to get rid of him is write another chapter.

AC very kindly did a fast track edit - so how do you feel about another quick chapter to end the date day ?

OK since no one objected, here it is:

Prompt 291 “Oh crap! Here we go again.”

Edited by Timothy M.

LOL new proposal for you Tim... How about you abandon Eric and Nelson entirely and do a series of one-offs on The Adventures of Rob? From Rob's point of of view?

OH shit, Irri don't tempt me ! :lol:

I really need to get back to the twins.

• Like 2