Where would you like to live?

depends - are you going on the Harley in just your boxers?

LMFAO

I do ride in just shorts and nikes now and then but bike pipes are dangerous when hot. I have a nice big chunk of my right calf where the skin color is different and the hair growth is almost nothing. Guess what part of my bike that patch of skin came in contact with.... mostly ride in jeans plus chaps when out of the city.

Boxers would make my willie flop all over the place anyway. Not that there's that much to flop around anyway ;).

• Like 1

It's my turn now! I'm from Montevideo, Uruguay (in South America)

I have two main places I'd like to move to. The first one is here in Uruguay and it's called Piriapolis (it's a kind of beach city, great warm weather all year and that kinds of things)

And the second one is some place in USA, but I've never really thought of it... maybe Georgia, idk. So if anyone wants to recommend a place, it'd be great!

Anyway, here in Uruguay right now we're in summer, and we do have tons of beaches and stuff, so it's great here.

• Like 2

I live on the peninsula between San Francisco and San Jose. I love it, and probably wouldn't change unless it was for a more "walkable" place. There are really few places more so in the US, though. I think at this point it's mostly a question of determination.

Yes, San Francisco would be my choice, if I could afford it. I'd choose to rent year-round a room in the same cozy little inn I stayed at last time, in the middle of the city, within walking distance to everything.

Notes to visitors: San Franciscans don't like anyone to call their city "Frisco." An elderly lady taught me that it is considered disrespectful. Walking or the trolley are the best ways to get anywhere. Budget a lot of money for excellent restaurants, but hotels can be had rather cheaply during the off-season. Do visit the Farmer's Market. Be civil to the homeless. And lastly, if you prefer smoke to drink, Golden Gate Park is a nice place for a stroll.

• Like 1

And lastly, if you prefer smoke to drink, Golden Gate Park is a nice place for a stroll.

Hee. I don't know about the smoking bit, but do be careful in the park after dark. And don't swim on Ocean Beach!

Edit: I do get the impression it's safer now than when we moved south. Not the beach, the currents and cold are still scary, but the crime. 24th & Valencia felt downright domestic a few weeks ago.

Edited by Irritable1

Hee. I don't know about the smoking bit, but do be careful in the park after dark. And don't swim on Ocean Beach!

Edit: I do get the impression it's safer now than when we moved south. Not the beach, the currents and cold are still scary, but the crime. 24th & Valencia felt downright domestic a few weeks ago.

I walked about day and night and at no time did I feel unsafe in San Francisco. But perhaps I did remain in the tourist district, come to think of it. It is a lovely city, simply lovely. The hobos are not shy, but they are not threatening either, and in one instance were quite useful in making my trip a splendid trip.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm from Austria and I like it here, but if I ever have the chance I'll try to move to the US (Guam or Pittsburgh to be exact), New Zealand or Costa Rica. I'm feeling so much fernweh* it's not even funny anymore. :)

*fernweh is a German word meaning the opposite of home sickness. The hurting need to go somewhere, anywhere else.

I'm from Austria and I like it here, but if I ever have the chance I'll try to move to the US (Guam or Pittsburgh to be exact), New Zealand or Costa Rica. I'm feeling so much fernweh* it's not even funny anymore. :)

*fernweh is a German word meaning the opposite of home sickness. The hurting need to go somewhere, anywhere else.

I'm curious why you, as a foreigner, would specifically want to go to Guam or Pittsburgh? These seem two rather random and little known places to people outside the US, and usually foreigners think of America more in terms of New York and Hollywood then anything else. 

Ha, that's easily explained. In Guam they speak English but still have a rather tropical climate, so I wouldn't have to learn a new language to get around. Pittsburg, the "Iron City", was chosen because I literally live in Eisenstadt, which means "Iron City", and it has excellent crime statistics and moderate housing prices. At least it had when I last checked 3 years ago.

I really don't like what Hollywood does to a person, and I'm not interested in (outwardly) beautiful, famous or rich people... or people who try to become one of "them". New York on the other hand is too crowded and dark for my tastes. I don't like skyscrapers, and I couldn't tolerate so many tall buildings this close together. It blocks out the sun and it makes the streets smell funny because of the strange air circulation between all those flat surfaces.

... I could go on if you'd like to read the whole extent of my crazy :D

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I found this old thread, by chance, looking at birthdays. Maybe it would be interesting to revive it? I wonder if anyone has moved since two or three years ago?

I live in Nouvelle Aquitaine. Don't know where on earth that is? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvelle-Aquitaine

I don't want to move, because when you have found your corner of paradise, why would you? Originally from London, I know life in a big city and another country.

• Like 2

I live in the San Francisco East Bay area. It’s very expensive to live here because so many others want to be here and move from all over the country and the world. But there are amenities that are impossible or very difficult to replicate. Frameline film festival (the world’s oldest and largest LGBTQ film festival) is how I celebrate Gay Pride. The weather here is nicer than just about anywhere else, it rarely gets too hot and never gets too cold with no hurricanes, tornadoes, or blizzards.

I’d only choose to move to another nearby city.

But if I were forced to leave the Bay Area, Seattle or Vancouver, BC are the two places that come to mind first. Australia would also be a possibility since I know a couple guys there.

You’d think I’d want to move to Scandinavia, Germany, the UK, or the Netherlands (or the upper Midwest where most of their descendants immigrated to) since those are the kinds of guys I’m most attracted to, but those locations are also way too cold for me! A Joel, Tor, or Peter would have to move the Pacific Coast for me!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

I am from Australia. :)

I would love to live in Japan. I love the culture. I know every country has its ups and downs but still, I would love Japan.

I also have a fascination with American suburbia. Maybe it's the many movies and TV shows I've watched but there is something appealing about living in a place like Wisteria Lane (from Desperate Housewives). 

A village in England or France would be sweet too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just moved to Brooklyn. It's been a dream to move here for almost 10 years. Now that I'm here and although I ADORE it. I kind of like the idea of eventually (probably when I'm 40 or if I ever lock down a wealthy man) buying a coastal house in a quant village somewhere in the New England area or possible Europe. The idea is something with a harbor, a cute village with shops, restaurants, bars near said harbor, easily accessible hills for light nature walks/hikes, ability to walk throughout the entire village, medium to low tourists and a house on a hill overlooking the harbor, village and ocean... Yeah not picky or anything and I don't even know if that's a thing, but if it is tell me so I can buy a vacation home in like 15-20 years...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am originally from Colombia in South America. I moved to the US when i was 12 and first lived in NYC until i was 16, then we moved to Philadelphia, where I reside to this day.

If financial issues were not a problem, I would love to live on a Caribbean island, but a private one so that I could step out of my house in the morning and go exploring the island every day and never have to worry about running into another human being on my hikes.

Yes it's isolated, yes I know I would go crazy without ever seeing another human, but I would also be able to be myself 1111100000000000% without having to look over my shoulder to see if I've upset anyone or if anyone is trying to harm me because of our differences.  

• Like 2

I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. I left for a couple of years to live in South Korea, and loved it there. I would totally move back, but my number one place to go would be Kyrgyzstan. I realize that's a bit out of the box, but have you met me? :P

Central Asia is one of the most culturally significant places in the world. You have the Persian Empire, the Mongolian Conquest... Man, the stuff that happened there! Add to it the nomads with awesome food, horse-riding and eagle-taming, and a climate with all four seasons each as beautiful as the next... Best. Place. Ever.

• Love 1
  • Wow 1
On 8/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, William King said:

I found this old thread, by chance, looking at birthdays. Maybe it would be interesting to revive it? I wonder if anyone has moved since two or three years ago?

I live in Nouvelle Aquitaine. Don't know where on earth that is? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvelle-Aquitaine

I don't want to move, because when you have found your corner of paradise, why would you? Originally from London, I know life in a big city and another country.

A friend of mine is heading to Saint Jean Pieds de Port next summer, so he'll be in your neck of the woods. I'll be doing the same thing at some point in my life.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

I suspect that wherever I wind up, it will be in a small town. Probably someplace with snow, good libraries, and patient neighbors. 

Good libraries and patient neighbours, but the snow you can keep - haha, I prefer the sunshine, and that I can see the earth beneath my feet, but the snow is beautiful - so there's a dilemma!

5 minutes ago, William King said:

Good libraries and patient neighbours, but the snow you can keep - haha, I prefer the sunshine, and that I can see the earth beneath my feet, but the snow is beautiful - so there's a dilemma!

You can always watch Game of Thrones if you miss snow! John Snow is very beautiful, but Jaime Lannister is sexier (even though his personality and love life leave something to be desired).  ;-)

Edited by Former Member
  • 3 months later...

Hmm, honestly there aren't many places in the United States I'd like to live. Most of this country is sprawling, soulless suburbia or random small towns stuck in the 1950s. I've lived around and in Philadelphia for the better part of 7 1/2 years now, and I'm ready for a change. Once I finish grad school and fulfill my promised work contract, I'm moving. I'm ready for something bigger, better, and more exciting. I want to be captured and fall in love again with a new city just the way I did with this one when I was 18. 

I absolutely fell in love with Shanghai when I lived there temporarily this past summer, and I'm thinking a little time overseas would be good for me. Not to mention I could make good money as an English-speaking American with teaching experience there. 

Eventually I'd like to settle in New York. It's the only place away from home where I feel just as comfortable in everyday life. I come from a family almost entirely of New Yorkers, but unfortunately my parents chose to live elsewhere, and I spent my first 18 years in the miserable confines of rural northern New England. I'd like to bring the New York-style back full circle again. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I live somewhere in down under. And after watching Under The Tuscan Sun back in '02 from an in-flight movie... I imagine myself living somewhere in Tuscany with my own vineyard where I'll meet an Italian man named Antonio, who'll make love to me but break my heart due to unforseen events that will make us distant, while my lesbian best friend decides to rear her child in my villa, and then a strapping british wine exporter gets lost and eventually marries me after a year just cause 

Yes. I'm reliving the movie. Or...

I might end up in the coldest region in the earth, insert Iceland, where I'll turn hermit and meet a ranger, who'll make love to me but break my heart. And then I'll meet a strapping Icelandic biologist doing some research on isotopes cause I live in, as I've said, the coldest region on earth. Then we'll get married. But I'll die in a fishing accident and then he publishes my memoirs. End credit.

I think I'm still reliving another movie but who cares.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • 2 months later...

I like where I'm living now. I like being close to family, but also the seclusion of the country. I disliked living in a city, even one as small as the ones in Kentucky, there are no sprawling major cities in the state really. I know I am not made for anything bigger. So, I will stick to where I am with the family that I have around me. :) If I were to change though, I think I would change countries not states. Mid-western Canada, Ireland, South Africa maybe (just to be close enough to go on safaris whenever I wanted to). 

• Love 1

It's still hardcore spring break here in PCB Florida, and I want out. It's always crazy filled with tourists this time of year and this is only the prelude to summer break. The sunny beach used to be my friend, now I'd rather hide up north in the woods somewhere. Better yet, a cave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1