Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Black Widow (Story Discussion)

I really wanted to slap Will this chapter. Granted, his world just got destroyed, but JJ apparently just lost his career AND his first real love. I get that JJ can be trying, but why not just tell JJ that you need some time to cool off away from him instead of dreaming about punching him in the stomach?

Considering how often he needs to take a break to surf or think away form his family, I'm surprised that didn't occur to Will on his own.

I'm curious if ME really was the culprit. It doesn't really seem like her style, since there's not enough lying and blackmail involved. It DOES seem like something Momma Danford would pull, assuming she had a motive. My real suspect is Granddad, though. Now I'm a little curious what Alex wanted to talk to JJ about last chapter.

• Like 4

Okay but do YOU want to be in Claremont who's main attraction is a museum dedicated to a family of questionable morals?

They also have outlet shopping now in the old Claremont Factory complex.

The one thing I am really puzzled about is why does JJ seem to have such a problem with John staying at the condo? Unless, it has to do about his unresolved feelings about losing Jeannine and the fact it was her home? Does he see it as some sort of shrine and therefore John being there as some sort of desecration?

JJ hasn't really inherited the whole "let's adopt stray puppies" trait that most of the narrators in this story have, and I think he's wary about some guy who he doesn't know well living in his mother's condo. Also, John is not an English lord with a title.

• Like 1

Okay but do YOU want to be in Claremont who's main attraction is a museum dedicated to a family of questionable morals?

I quite literally grew up in a forest. Try me. Besides, considering my own family's questionable morals and training, I think I might be able to survive. Grifters can thrive anywhere, yeah?

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 4

I quite literally grew up in a forest. Try me. Besides, considering my own family's questionable morals and training, I think I might be able to survive. Grifters can thrive anywhere, yeah?

I picture you growing up in a charming logging town in Northern California close to mountains and the like, but with secret drug industries like the town in Bates Motel.

Anyway, JJ meeting a guy like John Carullo was funny. You really couldn't get more opposite type than that.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

JJ hasn't really inherited the whole "let's adopt stray puppies" trait that most of the narrators in this story have, and I think he's wary about some guy who he doesn't know well living in his mother's condo. Also, John is not an English lord with a title.

It could also be that JJ is really hurting... he just lost the man he loves, and possibly his skating career, both in a most horrible way, and he wants/needs alone time. All the shopping in the world isn't go to assuage the pain of that double whammy. And to add to that, JJ does not play well with others. Personally, I think John's presence could be exactly what he needs.... as an annoying diversion... or as a friend.

LOLOL

• Like 2

I picture you growing up in a charming logging town in Northern California close to mountains and the like, but with secret drug industries like the town in Bates Motel.

Substitute "tourist trap/retirement community" for "logging town" and you're not far off.

Also, consider I was born in Hollywood. No, really, I was. Culture "shock" nails it. This is perhaps why I have some sympathy for the characters that can't quite grasp the Crampton family way of life right off the bat.

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 2

Substitute "tourist trap/retirement community" for "logging town" and you're not far off.

Also, consider I was born in Hollywood. No, really, I was. Culture "shock" nails it. This is perhaps why I have some sympathy for the characters that can't quite grasp the Crampton family way of life right off the bat.

Is it still Hollyweird, or has gentrification made it boring? Also, hasn't like a lot of t.v. and film productions moved elsewhere?

I wish you were a Baby Boomer. I bet you would have had some really fun stories about spending your early childhood in 1960's/1970's Hollywood, like Alison Arngrim (aka Nellie Olsen), who had all sorts of great stories about Hollywood from the eyes of a child, such as there being a children's amusement park located right next to an oil derrick or the delight of living in the Chateau Marmont.

Anyway, back to the topic...

All the shopping in the world isn't go to assuage the pain of that double whammy. And to add to that, JJ does not play well with others. Personally, I think John's presence could be exactly what he needs.... as an annoying diversion... or as a friend.

JJ's natural inclination is to shut himself off and isolate himself, but it doesn't look like Will is letting him do that.

I kind of wanted JJ to spend a year just traveling the world by himself- going to Paris, Milan, Tokyo, India, Macchu Picchu, etc etc.

Edited by methodwriter85

Will has spent a lot of time supporting Father Tim's Mission.

Mmm, not a lot, some.

Funny, I was thinking you were raised in Highland Park...... but now I'm like hmmmmm  Idylwild? Big Bear?

Also, hasn't like a lot of t.v. and film productions moved elsewhere?

Yeah......  like in the 1930's...... Burbank is more "Hollywood" than Hollywood is.

Paramount is the only of the majors in Hollywood and its been that way forever.

• Like 1

Mmm, not a lot, some.

Funny, I was thinking you were raised in Highland Park...... but now I'm like hmmmmm  Idylwild? Big Bear?

I can just picture a teenaged Blue growing up in an idyllic little tourist town, and hating every minute of it. I cannot picture him as Dawson Leery, lovingly filming his adolescence in his tourist town with his camera-ready friends.

I grew up on the East Coast, which is so dense that even if you're living in a town that has like 10k (I think that's the smallest town I've ever lived in), you're still at most like two hours away from a metropolitan area, usually no more than like an hour. You never really get to experience that small town lifestyle in my area, since everything is basically one big suburb of varying economic levels.

People who tell me about living in isolated small towns in the absolute middle of nowhere...that's just so far out of my experience. I got a taste of it when I lived in Indiana, PA for awhile, but even then Pittsburgh was just an hour away.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

To clarify, my family is from Highland Park, and I spent my early childhood living there, but we moved when I was a kid. I did not approve.

I can just picture a teenaged Blue growing up in an idyllic little tourist town, and hating every minute of it. I cannot picture him as Dawson Leery, lovingly filming his adolescence in his tourist town with his camera-ready friends.

We're talking Wednesday Addams level of discontent.

• Like 2

To clarify, my family is from Highland Park, and I spent my early childhood living there, but we moved when I was a kid. I did not approve.

We're talking Wednesday Addams level of discontent.

I can soooo picture you as Wednesday Addams in the body of an skinny, adorable Latino boy.

So you didn't meet a charming small-town boy who became your boyfriend and thus made the whole small-town life thing so much more bearable, ala the plot of scores of Nifty stories?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

You raise a really good point, and that is that by the time you get to the level Zach is at, you're part of a pretty tight, closed community. It's kind of like living in a small town. So you're right, in that the rumors are probably already there, and they can already be somewhat damaging.

In reality, Zach has a balancing act to follow here (IMHO). If he's good enough, while still maintaining a reasonable facade of straightness, his teammates will probably ignore the rumors. It's also worth noting that in 2003, even football athletes were more tolerant. But regardless, that's a pretty tough path to walk down, and there isn't a whole lot of room for error.

I'd say that if he maintains his relationship with Will, odds are strongly against him playing football, at least when he's out of college.

This reply from Mark to Tim's review made me wonder: Can Zach give up sex from now on? If he can't, what is more likely to out him? A secret relationship with Will or a series of clandestine hook-ups with guys? Unless he has found some way to fuck women again. I can't make up my mind, but I guess most gay sportsmen (that came out later, so we know of them) took the route of random sex, so it makes sense if Zach does the same.

The question Zach has to ask himself is this: if he gets outed anyway, was it worth losing Will over? I bet Will would have backed off even more, helped find ways for Zach to 'prove' his straightness, done the 'pretend boyfriend thing,' convinced Darius to spend time with Zach and him, dealt with blackmailers, whatever was needed. He might even have agreed to take a break in their relationship to cool rumors down. But what Zach did was cruel as well as stupid, based on what we know at this moment. The best way to piss of Will is to not communicate - he's like Brad that way. 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

Duke's have townhouses and flats, not condos :)

We thought were bad boys egging cars on PCH. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

A Pat Tillman was someone who could have made generous donations to the USO, but chose a very different path and committment. Beyond just giving up his NFL career, Pat could have easily gone to OCS, but instead enlisted as a grunt. That is being committed.

1) Yeah, no space for staff in a "condo" :P

2) Bad Boys? Ah, no. I was labeled "computer hacker" and people used the movie War Games to compare me (silly but computers were not in wide spread use yet. )

3) FYI: people who egged cars were labeled "assholes".

4) Conspiracy Theory: Pat was murdered to stop him from reporting someone.

The bright spot in any day, new chapter from Mark Arbour! :P

I'm loving that Will :thumbup:  is featured so prominently again, I'm loving his charming and devious behavior. The trust JP and Stef have put in him is astounding and very impressive! (I'm guilty of not yet reading this forum so forgive me if I'm going over old news) I am despising Brad more and more every day. I'd be ok if he fell off a cliff or got attacked by a shark. I'm eager to read more, thank you for another fantastic story of CAP!

• Like 1

Thanks for the latest chapter Mark and Team!

Hmm. Just speculating a figure skater and football jock together...

Better love story then Edward & Bella I guess :P

And WTF is with JJ and fish? Seriously. What's wrong with meat sauce? Or deep fried food for that matter. And please explain it in a way to someone like me who hates fish/seafood.

• Like 2

And WTF is with JJ and fish? Seriously. What's wrong with meat sauce? Or deep fried food for that matter. And please explain it in a way to someone like me who hates fish/seafood.

I can't explain it.  I hate fish/seafood too. 

• Like 2

JJ's on the Mediterranean Diet. That emphasizes eating a high amount of fish and lots of fruits and vegetables.

I grew up on the East Coast between the Delaware Bay and the Chesapeake Bay. You're almost obligated to like seafood. Crabs are big here. So is Old Bay seasoning, on like everything including fries.

Okay, JJ might not actually be on that diet, but he likely avoids red meat and sticks to fish or poultry for the most part, and without a doubt doesn't do deep fried food. I was around diet fanatics growing up and unless you were on Atkins or some low-carb diet, red meat was frowned upon.

In any event, I loved that JJ is kind of taking charge here. He knows that he's done with figure skating for the year, and first up is finishing out school. He doesn't have the excuse of figure skating anymore to be out of school, and whenever I suggested that JJ should just get a GED so he can focus on skating, but both Blue and Mark basically said that there's no way in hell the family would ever let him finish high school that way. So he's got to attend a school, it seems.

As for Carullo, I gotta admit, I love the set-up. Talk about an Odd Couple friendship brewing here.

I hope JJ finds out he enjoys genuine people.

I basically think of JJ as being like a child star- someone who grew up cossetted in a very superficial, very "image first" world and as a result, he doesn't have a great grip on recognizing genuine people, or people who are just all image. Alex was all image, and it worked for JJ because he was more than happy to play the Innocent Disney Princess for Alex.

But now JJ's in this position where he's basically been kicked out of that world, and he's got to learn to fend for himself, and figure out who he is, in this year sabbatical from that world. It's going to be really interesting.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3

I can't explain it.  I hate fish/seafood too. 

Haha. For me it is just the poached salmon. And maybe shrimp. :P   That said, French fries and meat sauce are among my weaknesses. (Although, I probably wouldn't want to eat them together.)   :*)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

Uffo.. Talk about the story guys, not blabber about something not committed with the story...

Someone's clam chowder was spoiled I guess.

I can see why Josh was hiring people and comping food and drinks; you are a new club and you have to make an impression. Nothing like making a good impression then Making grumpy customers come back with fast service and free food.

• Like 1

I can see why Josh was hiring people and comping food and drinks; you are a new club and you have to make an impression. Nothing like making a good impression then Making grumpy customers come back with fast service and free food.

I now know why someone said they hate fishes/seafood... :P

I am not spoiling anything sir, I'll remember your suggestion though... :)

Or maybe Josh is just trying to get laid. :P

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..