2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Which Christmas Songs And Carols Do You Love Or Hate?

Zombie

• Site Administrator

"The Little Drummer Boy" is one my favorites, too.  I think my all-time favorite is "Do You Hear What I Hear" by Bing Crosby.  I also love The Barenaked Ladies version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".  Another fave is "The King" by Loreena McKennitt. 

My not so faves..."I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" and "All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth".  I have a love/hate relationship with "O Holy Night".  It's a beautiful song, but my mom and aunt used to sing it every Christmas Eve very loudly and very out of tune.  Drove me nuts. LOL 

• Like 1

I can't stand "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". It's so overplayed.

I admit that beyond the sentimental reasons, I love "Do they know its Christmas time?". It just lends itself well to group harmonies and arrangements, which I love to see and hear (and sometimes attempt to mimic).

• Like 2

Oh ... let see.. Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody .. and Bowie and Crosby's Little Drummer Boy, Harry Belafonte's The Gifts They Gave, Jehovah The Lord Will Provide.

You can see Slade here:

Thanks, Tim! I don't think I've heard the Slade song before. I like it - it's full of holiday cheer.

• Like 1

Some people will probably hate me for saying this, but in my opinion no one does Silent Night like the Temptations. Some will probably hate me more, because I believe the worse version I've ever heard of this timeless classic is sung by Stevie Nicks.

Some people will probably hate me for saying this, but in my opinion no one does Silent Night like the Temptations. Some will probably hate me more, because I believe the worse version I've ever heard of this timeless classic is sung by Stevie Nicks.

Not gonna hate you for your opinion!  I'd like to hear that Temptations version.. Stevie.. not so much. 

I have a soft spot for Stille Nacht (Silent Night in German). When visiting family or our mom in the hospital, the radio reception could be sketchy  in the mountains, before CDs and MP3. Dad would sing a line in German and my brother and I would echo back the English line. Wonderful memory. Beyond my favorites include Little Drummer Boy, Old Toy Trains, Emmanuel (haunting tune) and Walking in a Winter Wonderland.

I despise the comedic version of Jingle Bells. I don't like Grandma got run over by a Reindeer, Santa Baby and most of the songs that play up the commercial/greedy part of the seasons.

• Like 1