The first book you fell in love with.

God.  I can't even remember.  That's sad.  I do remember being a fan of EB White's books, but not much before that.  

Edited by CassieQ
  • Like 5

My mother read me a collective of fairytales and such, I can't remember the name. But I remember having to have it read to me a lot growing up. I probably still have the book somewhere at her house in storage. 

The first book of my own choosing that I fell in love with was, My Side of the Mountain, followed quickly with, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

• Like 5

The earliest stuff I can remember reading is comics. I LOVED The Beano and The Dandy and my favourites were Dennis the Menace and his dog Gnasher :funny:, Minnie the Minx, Beryl the Peril, Desperate Dan, and the Bash Street Kids - all of them always up to no good :lol: And if I had been good :unsure: I’d get the Xmas annual - so I guess that counts as a book :gikkle:

spacer.png

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

There were plenty of children's books, but my first real long story was The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle which I read when I was 10 or 11.  I was enthralled by the Arthurian legend.  

Camelot, the Broadway Musical Play debut was in 1960 and the cast recording was a hit. The movie Camelot came out in 1967.  It was gorgeously filmed and was based on the play.  It is still one of my favorite films...

• Like 5

Manofbronzebama.jpg 

I have always been an avid reader from the moment I learned how, but I read a variety of different topics from the usual childhood things -- with an emphasis on nature books. But when I got to fifth grade, in our middle-school library I discovered Doc Savage and I read as many books of this series as I could find there. After that I found more in my town's library, and I read until I exhausted that supply, too. Doc Savage first showed up in pulp magazines of the 30's and 40's and then made it into the paperback books I began to read so the character had a good run, I'd say. Keep in mind that I had no real inkling that I was gay yet, but what a man and his adventures were exciting! :thumbup:

Later I discovered The Hobbit, and we all know what that leads to... a lifelong joy of reading fantasy and more Tolkien.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

91F9ZitIDrL.jpg

I'm sure there were others before this, but this is the first one I really remember, around maybe 1st-2nd grade. I read it probably a dozen times, made my mom buy me every other book about ninjas I could find, and then every other Magic Treehouse Book that had been written up to that point. Luckily, my mom had a blank check for me every time we went to Borders. 

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 2
On 6/7/2022 at 12:55 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

but the earliest that I can recall is this book: 

Well, that certainly explains why you're a math nerd.  :gikkle:

For me, the first book I loved was The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SAW said:

And I cried

4d0e320b.jpg

Well duh! That's a given. I did the same with the Marley and me book. If you haven't read it yet, you've got to check it out.

marley-me-life-and-love-with-the-worlds-worst-dog-book-4.jpg.d2b29b77d9f3ccdcc53b030e4b200bcb.jpg

Edited by Cscampbell
  • Like 3

Much of... no in fact all of Domluka's stuff left me with a warm feeling. I have to say that desert dropping was the first book I could not stop thinking about after. The richness of Dom's characters really were a work of art and I think ripe to be made into a TV series.

Awww, I'm thinking about them again! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, lynchantwan said:

In the past, my favorite is The Notebook but now I'm looking for a book on crime, anyone have any recommendations?

cookie clicker

53317339.jpg 

A really interesting story about a serial killer who picked up men in a gay bar and then brutally murdered them in the 1980s and 90s. 

Interesting tidbit: The bar where the killer found his victims, Townhouse, still exists today in much the same form it is described as in the book. It's a well known place to find a rich sugar daddy if you're in your 20s or are a higher-end hustler. 

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 2
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...